Jarius Wynn diagnosed with Bell’s Palsy

Jay Cutler,  Jarius Wynn AP

Defensive end Jarius Wynn’s doing everything he can to secure a spot in Green Bay’s defensive line rotation.

It might help if he could close his left eye.

Wynn was recently diagnosed with what he called a  Bell’s Palsy, according to Paul Imig of FoxSportsWisconsin.com.

It was kind of scary at first,” Wynn said. “I’m just glad it didn’t get bad.”

Bell’s Palsy is a type of paralysis on the muscles of the face, and Wynn realized he had the problems when out to dinner with teammates.

“I went to the bathroom and I tried to close it and it wouldn’t close,” Wynn said. “So it kind of freaked me out. So I came here (to Lambeau Field) to the training room, and they thought I was playing with them.

“I was like, ‘No, my eye really won’t close.’ They started naming symptoms and they knew what it was. So they sent me to a specialist, and he told me it’s a real mild case.”

Wynn’s wearing a dark visor in his helmet now, but isn’t otherwise limited in practice, as he tries to hang onto a job. He started four games last year, but  the Packers have made additions there.

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez was diagnosed with the condition in 2006, so the hope is that Wynn’s recovery is quick and complete.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Jarius Wynn diagnosed with Bell’s Palsy”
  1. jarobinewsome says: Jun 13, 2012 7:30 AM

wow…I was diagnosed with Bell’s Palsy as well earlier this year. It lasted about 6 weeks and then it just goes away. It was more annoying than anything else. You kind of feel like Two face from the Batman Movies. Trust me that team picture won’t look quite the same. I wish him a speedy recovery.

2. jimthebuilder27 says: Jun 13, 2012 7:37 AM

Hope he turns out okay!

3. jimmysee says: Jun 13, 2012 8:00 AM

If only all Americans could get such good medical care!

4. philwauke says: Jun 13, 2012 8:08 AM

Lawsuit…

5. boundiali says: Jun 13, 2012 8:46 AM

He should get checked out for Lyme disease. Bell’s palsy is one of the later stage symptoms.

6. godofwine330 says: Jun 13, 2012 8:57 AM

My wife cought this when she was in nursing school. It lasted 2-4 weeks with partial facial paralysis. No idea how it started but it didn’t last long, thank God. It altered her taste buds and half of her face drooped minimally, but other than that she was fine. Hopefully he will be fine as well.

7. leviticus268 says: Jun 13, 2012 9:19 AM

boundiali says:
    Jun 13, 2012 8:46 AM
    ____________________________________

I agree. I got bells palsy when I was in high school and I didnt find out that I have Lyme till I was 23-24 and now Im always in a lot of pain. Wish I would have known sooner…

8. thepragmaticcowboy says: Jun 13, 2012 9:43 AM

Did he have to leave his dog with Jerry Seinfeld when he went to the clinic?

9. canesgiants says: Jun 13, 2012 10:03 AM

doesnt always go away. got it in 1999 and got about 90 percent of face mobility back.

10. wyobroncoboy says: Jun 13, 2012 5:36 PM

Wow never knew about it. You are some great Fans to come on here and share your stories. and even more so your concerns for others…..Kudos Folks!!!!!