Kellen Winslow says knee all that’s keeping him from league’s elite

Kellen Winslow AP

Seattle tight end Kellen Winslow has never lacked for confidence.

But the former “soldier” sounds like he at least understands his limitations, even if he does still have a grand idea of himself.

If I was healthy, which I never will be again, I would be Aaron Hernandez and (Jason) Witten together,” Winslow told Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com. “But, hey, I do what I can out there with the situation I have.”

Winslow said he’ll always struggle with the knee problem that began in 2005 when he was with the Cleveland Browns and was complicated by a 2008 staph infection.

He still averaged 73 receptions a year the past three seasons in Tampa Bay, meaning the decision to trade him for what could be a sixth-round pick may have had to do with things other than his skills.

But while he’s listed as being limited now, he’s moving well in practice, giving the Seahawks ideas about putting in more two-tight end formations.

“I think he’s going to be a great addition,” quarterback Tarvaris Jackson said. “He’s come out the first couple days and made some great catches. He’s always pretty much open. He finds a way to get open, so that’s going to be big for us on offense.”

And even if he proves to be the kind of pain new Bucs coach Greg Schiano didn’t want around, he’ll likely never be the worst citizen the Seahawks have put on the field at the position.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Kellen Winslow says knee all that’s keeping him from league’s elite”
  1. utteke says: Jun 13, 2012 10:55 AM

It wasn’t the staph infection that caused his problems. It was the fact that he was playing Evil Knievel on his motorcycle that caused his knee issues.

2. 49erstim says: Jun 13, 2012 10:56 AM

His problem was never talent, but ego and attitude. To excel at this level you need a little swagger, but he crosses that line. I honestly wish Gull fans luck with this prima donna. You’re gonna need it.

3. heisthejuan says: Jun 13, 2012 10:57 AM

What a humble guy.

4. nolahxc says: Jun 13, 2012 10:59 AM

I think that spongey mass inside of his head is also responsible for holding him back…

5. henryd3rd says: Jun 13, 2012 11:00 AM

Just keep that dude away from motorcycles!

6. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Jun 13, 2012 11:15 AM

Of all the tight ends to come out of the University of Miami in the last 15 years to make the NFL (Franks, Shockey, Olsen, Winslow, Everette, Graham, Gordon, Ford) Kellen was far and away the most gifted on the field.

I believe he really lost his way when he broke his leg in his rookie season and then the Browns lost TE coach Rob Chudzinski (who had been his TE coach since he was 17 years old).

Following that of course was the ridiculously dumb motorcycle incident.

It really is a shame that it had to happen to him, as arrogant as it sounds, he’s probably right when he said “If I was healthy, which I never will be again, I would be Aaron Hernandez and (Jason) Witten together”. Just go and watch some of his game footage at UM, there is a reason why he was a top 6 pick.

7. finsmakemecry says: Jun 13, 2012 11:21 AM

And IF I didn’t smash my knee cracking up my motorcycle, I’d be a future HoF talent.

8. joetoronto says: Jun 13, 2012 11:25 AM

Pete’s gonna explain how he was misused by the Bucs and the Browns.

Keep running, Pete!

9. benh999 says: Jun 13, 2012 11:36 AM

His mouth doesn’t help him either.

10. marvsleezy says: Jun 13, 2012 11:46 AM

Defenses double checking the scouting report on which knee it is before every game against him now.

11. skinssuckazz says: Jun 13, 2012 11:50 AM

Once a soldier always a soldier!

12. effjohntaylornorelation says: Jun 13, 2012 11:54 AM

I wish he wasn’t saying anything, at all

13. professorcolumbus says: Jun 13, 2012 12:37 PM

“He finds a way to get open, so that’s going to be big for us on offense.”

Except for the fact that his “way to get open” is pushing off defenders, and tends to be an offensive pass interference penalty…

14. fu7ur3pr00f says: Jun 13, 2012 12:39 PM

Only two wheeler you should be on is a mountain bike. No common sense on strapping a jet engine between your legs, with no body protection.

As they say in the ER; future organ donors.

15. bleed4philly says: Jun 13, 2012 12:47 PM

Knee and brain

16. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jun 13, 2012 12:48 PM

K2 is right – fresh out of “the U,” he was poised to explode on the league. But the reason his knee is destroyed, is largely due to his recklessly clowning in a parking lot on a super bike.

WTF???

How did he not know what was at stake there??? His employers had to have been absolutely furious with him.

What is left of K2 is, and has been in his career in the pros, is a severely compromised version. What could have been.

17. maxman99 says: Jun 13, 2012 2:40 PM

If it weren’t for my looks, (lack of) money, and (zero)acting skill I would be Robert Redford and Brad Pitt combined. It’s true.

18. toolkien says: Jun 13, 2012 2:44 PM

If it weren’t for my looks and lousy personality, I’d be Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt rolled into one. If “ifs and buts were candy and nuts….”

Anyway. it’s lucky the NFL HoF has the Bad-Knee Kept Me From Being Great Annex.

Sounds like he went to the wrong team. He should have gone to the Bears so he could be with the Greatest QB Ever If Only He Didn’t Get Hurt All The Time And Didn’t Have Terrible Offensive Lines.

19. j0esixpack says: Jun 13, 2012 2:48 PM

His ego seems healthy enough.

20. backindasaddle says: Jun 13, 2012 6:35 PM

“If I was healthy, which I never will be again, I would be Aaron Hernandez and (Jason) Witten together,” Winslow told Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com.
    —————————————————————————————

And it’s because YOU acted like a dick and screwed your knee up ALL BY YOURSELF screwing around trying to do stupid tricks like a moron on a motorcycle. Now BECAUSE OF YOURSELF, you are NOT in the reality of the right lights Aaron Hernandez and Jason Witten together. You are a disappointing and egotistical Kellon Winslow who obviously has a sense of entitlement and is a person that many people don’t really like very much.

21. franklamar17 says: Jun 13, 2012 10:25 PM

Folks what he said is the truth…