Steelers president Art Rooney II wades into Wallace situation

St. Louis Rams v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

Steelers president Art Rooney II had a simple message Wednesday when asked about wide receiver Mike Wallace:

He should be here,” Rooney said, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Without seeing video or hearing audio, it’s impossible to divine intent in Rooney’s four words, but on the computer screen, they appear rather abrupt.

Wallace has stayed away from the Steelers three-day minicamp which ends Thursday, but Friday’s the big day, as Florio summed up this morning.

That’s when the Steelers can pull his $2.7 million one-year tender offer, and replace it with a new tender of 10-percent over his 2011 salary, which would be $577,500.

“It’s probably short-term misery,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Wallace’s absence. “Hopefully there will be some closure to this and it will be in our rear view mirror. Right now, he’d be better served if he were here working.”

UPDATE: 3:36 p.m.:  Post-Gazette beat writer Gerry Dulac tweeted that the Steelers would not reduce Wallace’s tender, per a team source.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Steelers president Art Rooney II wades into Wallace situation”
  1. profootballwalk says: Jun 13, 2012 2:52 PM

I should have a Ferrari in my driveway, but until I pay for one, it ain’t gonna happen.

2. steelersownyou says: Jun 13, 2012 2:57 PM

Hes only screwing himself. Hes not a good route runner. Just fast. They double him over top & it takes the 1 trick pony to no trick pony. Brown & sanders are much better route runners & theyre saving the money for them next year. Well played by the steelers again. No wonder we are the most solid nfl team year in and year out!

3. gpclaw says: Jun 13, 2012 2:58 PM

“If Rooney’s words are interpreted as a shot across Wallace’s bow, a testy situation could get even worse.”

Testy situation? Really? From everything I have read, it seems like everyone understands that this is business, and is fine with allowing the process to work itself out.

Also, Rooney’s comment may have been a shot across the FO’s bow, as in “why haven’t we signed Wallace to a contract yet?”.

4. deepthreat says: Jun 13, 2012 2:59 PM

I hate the Steelers, so I hope they cave into Wallace and pay him like the big time number one franchise receiver that he is not.

5. bettis3636 says: Jun 13, 2012 3:01 PM

Just play… And things will work itself out…!

6. morgan420 says: Jun 13, 2012 3:03 PM

I know a team in the AFC north that would love to take him AND they have the money. My fingers are crossed on a hold out. WHO-DEY!

7. cush2push says: Jun 13, 2012 3:06 PM

Im not sure how they can pay him the Steelers have been borrowing future cap space for years now there isn’t many players left to restructure contracts with
    He could sign his deal week 8 play to the end and walk in FA

8. ravenatorisatool says: Jun 13, 2012 3:11 PM

Steelers live rent free in ravenators tiny little head

9. tbone4474 says: Jun 13, 2012 3:15 PM

Take the $2.7 Million for ONE year. Get to work and kick it this year and get your real payday next year. Be a Steeler and get to work!

10. 84sgl says: Jun 13, 2012 3:16 PM

Mike’s going to lose his job to Brown at this rate. I understand that there is the business element to it all but Todd Haley is installing his new system and Mike Wallace is soooo behind. It does not help that his route running is not that great. Sign the tender and as Art Rooney has said over and over again, after you sign the tender they will begin working on the long term negotiations. There are way too many high priced salaries on that team for this crap. Go to a sub .500 team if you want to break the bank.

11. vasteelerfan says: Jun 13, 2012 3:17 PM

It’s the steeler way and it works. No one is bigger than the team. Now cue the ravenator on1-2-3. still rent free in his envious little mind.

12. ravenator says: Jun 13, 2012 3:19 PM

This team is imploding, I’d say best of luck, but luck won’t even save these clowns. They’ll be fighting with the Browns to avoid being the basement dweller of the AFCN

13. mullman7675 says: Jun 13, 2012 3:20 PM

Didn’t his dad (or grandpa) win the steelers in a card game? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Either way, Al Davis (RIP) still remains the only self made man in the history of the NFL. His daddy didn’t win a poker game, he didn’t make his money in oil, or parking garages, or selling copious amounts of Mac n Cheese.

He created one of the greatest brands in sports, recognized across the globe.

The steelers are coast to coast- the RAIDERS are global.

And please save the “six rings” rant. We all know, good for you.

14. ravenator says: Jun 13, 2012 3:22 PM

Oh and I love that I’m in your heads so much that some of you go to absurd lengths to try and take a dig at me, but I just don’t care. Actually I think it’s great, all while making a fool of yourself

15. Lonely Libertarian says: Jun 13, 2012 3:31 PM

While the Steeler fan in me would love to see him in camp – it is time to send a very strong message – not just to Wallace. This is a business, and funds are limited. Cut his tender and spend the money on Brown and Sanders…

16. quittsburghstoolers says: Jun 13, 2012 3:33 PM

“He should be here,” Rooney said…”

———————————————————-

What he should have said is “if I hadn’t been so shortsighted and
    tightfisted over signing bonuses this wouldn’t be an issue. I should
    have signed him for 4 years instead of only 3.”

They are gonna be in the same boat next
    year with another player.
    Old man Rooney must be spinning in his
    grave right now over such stupidity.

But I guess that’s now “the Steeler way”…

17. mostlombardisintheleague says: Jun 13, 2012 3:52 PM

When someone named Rooney just breathes, let sites like this make it into the organization crumbling apart,…blah blah blah…. ridiclulous.

18. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Jun 13, 2012 4:17 PM

steelersownyou says:
    “Hes not a good route runner. Just fast. They double him over top & it takes the 1 trick pony to no trick pony. Brown & sanders are much better route runners & theyre saving the money for them next year.”
    =====================================================

Calling your #1 receiver a bum… nice. Stay classy, Pittsburgh.

Oh, and given that they are pretty well spent up to the salary cap, what money are they saving exactly?

19. ravenater says: Jun 13, 2012 4:21 PM

Oh and I love that you all are in my head so much that I go to absurd lengths to try and take a dig at you, but I just don’t care. Actually I think it’s great, all while making a fool of myself

20. sikkcaden says: Jun 13, 2012 4:41 PM

I love how Steelers fans before last year claimed Wallace was an Elite WR, now he’s the third best on the team?

When will Steelers fans realize without Wallace pulling double teams, Antonio Brown (a glorified #2 WR) and Emmanuel Sanders are screwed.

21. steelersownyou says: Jun 13, 2012 4:59 PM

@Genoatkinsdiet…has nothing to do with being classy toolbag. Real steeler fans know the deal with wallace. Im just being honest. And I really dont believe hes our number 1 receiver. Thats up for debate! And we do have enough under cap next year to pay brown & sanders. Cap issue wont be until year 2014 idiot. Know what youre talking about before you spew off uaeless dribble. Raven boy. Cant wait to run up the score on your ratbirds this year. 45-10 final. Black & yellow sucka!

22. dino8500 says: Jun 13, 2012 5:01 PM

@mulman7675 while i have great respect for al davis and what he did, have you ever heard of a man named Paul Brown? He was THE self made man who also paved the way for the entire nfl as we know it (or knew it before it went all soft). Football is what the Brown family does and the only thing they do. Nothing against Al just wanted to point out he was not the only one.

23. Deb says: Jun 13, 2012 7:11 PM

The team made it known a few days ago that they wouldn’t reduce Wallace’s tender. They’re being exceptionally generous, and Rooney’s comment is self-explanatory. Wallace needs to wake up from his delusions of grandeur. The Steelers don’t negotiate once the season starts, and he’s just digging a deeper hole for himself with this behavior. If this goes on much longer, teammates and fans alike will be just as happy to see him leave. It’s not like he made the winning tippy-toe catch against the Packers.

24. holeinone09 says: Jun 13, 2012 9:06 PM

Deb is correct on all her points. The Steelers, by and large, are reasonable with their top talent year in and year out. If Wallace acts like a pro instead of whining, and performs, they will likely do right by him to the extent they can under the cap rules, etc. Wallace was on fire at the beginning of last year, but then tailed off, for whatever reason. Frankly he had some big drops late in the season. Meanwhile, AB stepped up big time as the season wore on, maybe they consider signing him a bigger priority over the next couple seasons. But it is scary to think what they can do with Wallance, AB, Sanders, Miller, etc, and a better OL in front of Ben, to match with a power running game.

But I think most Steeler fans will agree on one thing. If things don’t get worked out, life will go on, and most of us will support whomever they line up. The grass isn’t much greener on other teams, and Wallace found out no one else was going to meet his lofty demands. They overcame Burress, Holmes and others at WR leaving. It happens, and life goes on.

25. franklamar17 says: Jun 13, 2012 10:20 PM

Why is it when a player hold out for more money you have people trying to point out all the flaws that the player may have are what they think he’s not great at.im sure most people have a job and what if your boss told you I know you have not gotten a raise in 20 years,but you need to take one for the team….BS…if you are not going to hate rich wealthy people 1% don’t hate the players.

26. ravenator says: Jun 14, 2012 6:39 AM

Did Rooney forget his team was Tebowd by Sanchez backup QB, ouch!

27. Deb says: Jun 14, 2012 12:33 PM

@franklamar17 …

Hey, I’m pro-player and think these guys deserve to be paid all they’re worth. But here’s my problem with Wallace:

1. He’s currently under contract. He needs to honor that contract. If he doesn’t like the terms of that contract, then he can go somewhere else when that contract expires.

2. He doesn’t want to be paid what he’s worth. He wants to be paid considerably more than his talent merits and the market is willing to pay. Because of his over-inflated view of his value, he’s disrupting mini-camp and sabotaging his own career. He’s getting bad advice and behaving like a spoiled child. He plays for my team, this is a football blog, and I’m going to comment on his foolishness.