Tebow on Bruschi criticism: I just do what I’m told

Tim Tebow, Eric Smith AP

Tim Tebow won’t be disappearing unless the Jets tell him to disappear.

Tebow was asked about Tedy Bruschi’s recent request that he “disappear” after Jets practice on Wednesday afternoon. His response was exactly the one you should have expected when the criticism was leveled at the wrong place. Tebow isn’t off calling into sports radio stations to get in touch with the media. His interactions come via the Jets and Tebow says that’s who decides how much he’s talking to the media.

“To be honest, I just do what I’m told — and this day to talk to you (reporters), so I’m gonna talk to you,” Tebow said, via Nate Davis of USA Today. “And to be honest, I just go about it however the Jets set it up — the rules that they want us to (follow), who they want us to talk to, who they don’t want us to talk to. And so I don’t get paid enough to make all those decisions. I just do what I’m told and try to do it as best as I can.”

Criticize the Jets all you want for pushing Tebow, but Tebow himself isn’t to blame any more than Bruschi was to blame for limited media availability when he played for the Patriots. Teams do things different ways and, as Tebow said, the players don’t get paid to make all those decisions.

They get paid to play, which leads us to the obligatory reference to Tebow’s role during Jets practice. He played two plays with the first-team offense, although he said that people said he shouldn’t read anything into that regarding a battle for the starting job. Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Tebow completed 1-of-2 passes on his two plays.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Tebow on Bruschi criticism: I just do what I’m told”
  1. cakemixa says: Jun 13, 2012 4:54 PM

I’m no Tebow fan, but I’d MUCH rather Bruschi disappear than Tebow.

2. benh999 says: Jun 13, 2012 5:00 PM

Limited media availability for Bruschi when he played with the Patriots? The guy might the most interviewed NFL player in the history of the game. The guy used to yap endlessly to any reporter that would listen. He is one hell of a hypocrite for criticizing Tebow’s talking to the press.

3. k0mbucha says: Jun 13, 2012 5:08 PM

More power to you Tebow for putting that arrogant pompous know-it-all Bruschi in his place. I’m sick of hearing these ex Patriots speak as though they invented football when in fact they can hardly analyze the game.

4. prmpft says: Jun 13, 2012 5:12 PM

I think things would be better if know-it-all bruschi would shut the hell up.

5. ibreathefootball says: Jun 13, 2012 5:13 PM

I’m a huge Tebow fan, but enough Tebow coverage already! Let’s see some play analogy or predictions, something other than this he said/she said stuff!

6. commonsensedude says: Jun 13, 2012 5:25 PM

During his playing career, Bruschi was once named to NFL.com’s All-Interview Team for accessibility to the media. He also wrote a book. Tedy said that he wants the talking to come from either the head coach or the starting quarterback. But since he was neither of these and yet yapped to anyone who stuck a mike in front of his face, perhaps he’s the one who should disappear from this topic of conversation.

7. farty5 says: Jun 13, 2012 5:26 PM

Tedy Brushci was a mediocre player and is an awful broadcaster. Tired of him.

8. jetstizzi85 says: Jun 13, 2012 5:27 PM

Teddy should have called out his fellow media teammates for the continued coverage of Tebow. Cant blame Tebow when he doesnt control that coverage

9. bullcharger says: Jun 13, 2012 5:29 PM

The Jets are walking the line of using Tebow’s popularity to increase revenue, but at the same time trying to claim it’s Sanchez’ team. It seems like a mistake. It will be interesting to see what happens after Sanchez has a tough game or two.

10. johnnyjagfan says: Jun 13, 2012 5:30 PM

I’m glad to see I’m not the only guy who thinks his arrogant attitude, with a dose of hall monitor/holier-than-thou on the side is not a good fit for analyzing football.

11. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 13, 2012 5:31 PM

Tedy Lacap Bruschi is painful to listen to speak. He has a real tough time putting logical arguments together. It’s already been pointed out that he can analyze the game worth a damn either. When Tedy Lacap Bruschi comes on the tv I change the channel.

12. bullcharger says: Jun 13, 2012 5:35 PM

—————

Rodney Harrison is excellent, Damien Woody is great, Heath Evans is not too bad, Willie McGinest is not that great and probably won’t last but Bruschi is doing well. They can analyze the game or they wouldn’t have the jobs. They don’t just gift these jobs, they are difficult to get and players that can’t do it or aren’t popular will not last.

13. nepo784 says: Jun 13, 2012 5:36 PM

Yea… Tebow sucks, Jets sucks even more, and thus ESPN sucks on Tebow who plays for the Jets. Keep bringing the heat Tedy!

14. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 13, 2012 5:38 PM

Tim just does what he’s told. Hopefully no one in the Jets organization jokingly suggested that “someone should stick a dirty sock in Brushi’s big mouth”.

15. skins1976 says: Jun 13, 2012 5:50 PM

Wow. They love to hate on Tebow like it’s his fault. Tedy Bruschi looks like Eric Estrada from chips and for him to have flapped his gums for so many years and then turn around and hate on Tebow….just makes him look like a fool.

16. electionconfidential says: Jun 13, 2012 6:18 PM

Bruschi wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed before his stroke… much less after. He continues to promote Tebow (albeit negatively) just to keep his own name out there.

17. rickyspanish says: Jun 13, 2012 6:38 PM

How long until this poor guy snaps? Tebow didn’t trade himself to New York, he didn’t start himself in Denver. I could care less about Tebow, but enough is enough. Much like hating the Miami Heat, it’s the popular stance for the media to carelessly cover this guy with doubt and negativity. The media outlets are the ones who create the narrative, they seem to have forgotten that.

18. lolb23 says: Jun 13, 2012 6:44 PM

Teddy Bruschi, once a warrior on the field, he then sold his soul to the devil (ESPN) and became just another gossip girl.

I don’t even know how he looks at himself in the mirror, honestly.

19. rayguyreturns says: Jun 13, 2012 6:46 PM

bullcharger says:
    ____________________________________

You lost me at Rodney Harrison.

20. CKL says: Jun 13, 2012 7:05 PM

The ignorance here is stunning. Wait…it’s not.

21. chazatlas says: Jun 13, 2012 7:43 PM

Bruschi, dude you gave everybody a good reason to tell ‘you’ to go disappear.

22. peepeetoucher says: Jun 13, 2012 8:18 PM

All these NFL analyst suck at their jobs. They rarely offer any good football info and most of the topics are (loosely) scripted. One argues for one way and others agree or play devils advocate. Your not getting a real opinion from these guys. Your getting whatever a producer wants them to say to get ratings, just like any basic T.V. format. Also their topics are mostly all drama that has nothing to do with the X’s and O’s of the game. NFLN and ESPN have become just like Access Hollywood and Extra. Seems like the NFL is slowly morphing into WWF territory with embellished story lines that have nothing to do with the actual game itself. I think the analysts and the players should both shut up and just let the games play out. I don’t need extra story lines to be interested in a game. I’ll watch it anyway because I’m a fan of the actual sport. Sorry bout the rant.

23. sampulls says: Jun 13, 2012 8:18 PM

I used to love Bruschi….and I am not a Tebow fan…but Bruschi needs to close his mouth. It’s not like Tebow is creating this drama himself.

24. flyyseven says: Jun 13, 2012 8:22 PM

I’m sick of the all the Ex Patriots know it alls,and Bruschi talks like he was Dick Butkus he was a cheat

25. tweeter75 says: Jun 13, 2012 8:52 PM

Bruschi was so overrated as a player, and I can’t stand listening to his commentary.

26. zeke2517 says: Jun 13, 2012 9:43 PM

I didn’t know that football players were employed at the pleasure of those who talk about them for money.

27. Deb says: Jun 13, 2012 10:48 PM

Tebow gets on my nerves sometimes, too, but Bruschi knows how this works. Ridiculous criticisim.

28. k0mbucha says: Jun 13, 2012 10:49 PM

peepeetoucher says: Jun 13, 2012 8:18 PM

___________________________

No need to apologize for making a very good and valid point!

29. jjbadd says: Jun 14, 2012 1:17 AM

Lol..I love it! People try & try to get my boy Tebow to do a Ryan Leaf! When are they gonna realize that Tebow is a genuine, good guy.

30. stoptrippn says: Jun 14, 2012 10:22 AM

Brushing..shut your mouth. It’s a new day and time

31. 11jlacy says: Jun 14, 2012 12:37 PM

Say tebow do your thing my brother always keep ur head up n keep believing in the man,upstairs he will never fell u .