Antonio Brown plans to do his deal differently than Mike Wallace

Philadelphia Eagles v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

The Steelers have a restricted free agent wide receiver this year in Mike Wallace, and they’re scheduled to have a restricted free agent wide receiver next year in Antonio Brown

Asked on NBC SportsTalk about Wallace’s continuing contract negotiations and about Brown’s own status as a player heading into the final year of his contract, Brown said he thinks he’s going to go about things differently next year than Wallace has this year.

“I want to finish out my contract this year and hopefully next year will take care of itself, but I definitely plan on being here and going about things, maybe in a different aspect because I respect the organization and the program that I’m in,” Brown said.

Brown said he anticipates being able to get a deal done early next offseason and participating in Organized Team Activities in 2013.

“Whatever the organization’s got planned, I just feel like, I want to be a professional and go about my business the right way,” Brown said. “I don’t want to take time off and not be at OTAs. I want to be around. So hopefully we can get things wrapped up so I can take care of the business side of things and be here faithfully.”

It’s good news for the Steelers that Brown sounds so amenable to getting a deal done. Then again, it’s easier for Brown to say now that he’ll be happy to accept what the Steelers offer than it is to actually do the deal next year.

Here’s the video of Brown’s interview:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Antonio Brown plans to do his deal differently than Mike Wallace”
  1. ravenator says: Jun 14, 2012 6:47 AM

He says that now but I already sense a rift. Given Colbert’s poor cap management and restructured contracts already paid out, this team won’t have a dime to their name in 2013.

Abandon ship! This vessel is sinking, and fast.

2. explosionsauce says: Jun 14, 2012 6:53 AM

Sure buddy. Until your organization low balls you.

3. jay62107 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:56 AM

If you make a big enough impact you wont have to worry about the last year of your contract ask Rob Gronkowski. Unless you’re lucky enough to get screwed like Drew Brees.

4. ziggy26 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:03 AM

Ravenator, the Steelers will have at least one of those players under contract for 2013. Since when is landing Pro Bowl WRs in back-to-back drafts an indication of a sinking ship?

5. mancinibread says: Jun 14, 2012 7:03 AM

AB gets what Wallace doesn’t, namely that the Steelers’ FO does not play games and will not tolerate diva behavior. Plus he’s proven himaelf WAY more valuable and versatile than Wallace, on the field an off.

6. footballfanatic1906 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:11 AM

Hey genius never comment on a teammates contract situation. Talk to us after the team takes a hard stance in negotiating with you!

7. punkscotty says: Jun 14, 2012 7:13 AM

Antonio, you’ve got no idea. Unless your name is Big Ben, you’re not getting paid. The Steelers have never spent big bucks on a WR, and Mike Wallace knows it. He’ll play this year then leave, Brown will play next year then leave. It’s the great circle of Steelers life.

8. muckman207 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:14 AM

Brown > Wallace

9. bmoresteal says: Jun 14, 2012 7:19 AM

Gee RAVENator…you sound like you may be a little biased on your”sinking ship” discription…

And “Colbert’s poor cap management” has brought the Steeler’s 2 Super Bowl titles and a third trip since his arrival.

Typical Raven fan.

10. tomthebombtracy says: Jun 14, 2012 7:37 AM

We LOVE to HATE ravenator’s posts as Steelers fans but we know from his many posts that he sees his Baltimorons with many of the same issues of age, contract issues and oversized egos.

The Steelers and the Ravens may be whistling past the graveyard with all those heated rhetoric exchanged by their fans. Fact is, the Bengals had another great draft and they’re the team to be worried about. We have to hope Dalton isn’t the real deal and that he folds like the Unreal McCoy in Cleveland in his second year.

And punkscotty, you nailed it. Nate Washington, Plaxico, Santonio….Hines Ward was an anomaly. Steelers changed WRs like oil filters. When you can identify Pro Bowlers in the third and sixth rounds, turn them over. It’s all the QB anyway….how’s life with the Jets, ‘Tone?

11. quittsburghstoolers says: Jun 14, 2012 7:44 AM

Brown’s no dummy when it comes to this contract
    stuff and his comments on that and the team.

He’s seen how quickly the Steeler fans turned on
    Wallace so he is taking the high road, saying
    what he knows the fans wanna hear.

Won’t be surprised if he plays with them until he
    is unrestricted then runs the hell outta that there
    as fast as possible…

12. EJ says: Jun 14, 2012 7:54 AM

Wide receivers are a dime a dozen in this league. Every draft produces 2-3 elite receivers, 5-10 good and 10-15 decent ones. Eventually more receivers will have to learn the other side of the ball, playing a little defensive back in order to see playing time, like the Patriots did last season. Too many good receivers, not enough positions = low pay, thats what these guys trying to break the bank don’t understand. When there is too much supply, the demand goes down.

13. punkscotty says: Jun 14, 2012 8:18 AM

I am the furthest thing from a Steelers fan, but can respect their ability to excel with their LB’s and now even their WR’s.

It is the system they use, not the players. That is why Pittsburgh filters through LB’s every 2-3 years, rather than pay the big bucks.

I will not argue that it continuously works, but again, this is why Mike Wallace will move on, and with Antonio Brown being an even more explosive player, he will want big bucks like every other NFL diva WR, the Steelers will not pay, and he will be gone in 2 years tops as well.

And in 2 years they will have drafted two more WR’s to replace Wallace and Brown.

14. whodeyinpa says: Jun 14, 2012 8:29 AM

As a Bengals fan I can’t say I like any of the Steelers but there are a certain few that I can respect. Polamalu, Keisel, Hampton, Heath Miller, and Brown. To me I wouldn’t be surprised if the Steelers let him walk and give Brown a big deal. Brown is a team player and not a one trick pony like Mike Wallace. I respect the hell out of Brown and his game, knowing he’ll still be playing in his 30’s and Wallace will be out of the league in 5 years when he can’t blow by people anymore

15. qj1984 says: Jun 14, 2012 8:44 AM

@tomthebombtracy

Starters on the Ravens defense over the age of 30:

Ed Reed
    Ray Lewis

Two hall of fame players. Everyone else is in their prime or entering their prime.

Do I need to run down the list for the Steelers? Because it really is like half the defense, even after all the cuts from last year.

16. fm31970 says: Jun 14, 2012 8:55 AM

@ tomthebombtracy – You left out Yancey Thigpen

Now way is Dalton another McCoy, but at least you acknowledge the ‘nati is a threat.

17. njsteelersfan says: Jun 14, 2012 8:57 AM

ravenator Don’t worry about the Steelers so much from what I see the Raven ship has sunk !!!So hows those talks going with Rice and the worlds greatest QB ever and we can’t forget about that Defence

18. eaglesw00t says: Jun 14, 2012 9:00 AM

It sure is easy to sit back and say “When the team offers me a long term contract next year”…

1. Who said they are going to offer you anything?
    2. What if they offer you 3 million a year and you feel you are worth 6?
    3. What if they decide to just use the RFA tag, and pay you the 2.7 mill Wallace is going to get and there is nothing you can do about it?

Its very easy to speculate about next year. Im willing to bet the reality goes nothing like your plan.

19. napoleonblownapart6887 says: Jun 14, 2012 9:02 AM

@punkscotty

I agree to an extent – typically the Steelers have rotated through WR on a fairly consistent basis. With that being said, I think AB has the best shot at being the next Hines Ward in terms of longevity with the Steelers. He’s a great kid with a great attitude, and I think the Steelers might be a little bit more willing to give up the 5-6 year deal for him. As far as Wallace is concerned… we’ll see.

@quittsburgh

Which Steelers fans have turned on Wallace? I haven’t seen a lot of anger towards Wallace or his situation – at least not from fans with their salt (I recognize that the Steelers, like every fan base, have a few loud morons). The opinion on Wallace from what I’ve seen is that they would like him there, but no one is really going to panic until this drags into August/September.

20. eaglesw00t says: Jun 14, 2012 9:09 AM

napoleonblownapart6887 says:
    Jun 14, 2012 9:02 AM
    @quittsburgh

—————————————–

I really havent seen any Wallace hate. I understand wanting the guy in camp, but come on…he is being forced into a 1 year deal worth half of his actual value. I completely understand his displeasure. I wouldnt want to go to camp either.

Normally, Im all about “you signed the contract, now man up and perform it”, ala Revis. But, Wallace didnt sign his RFA tender. He shouldnt be forced to do anything, unless it is more along the lines of the franchise tag, or even the transition tag.

21. napoleonblownapart6887 says: Jun 14, 2012 9:13 AM

qj1984 says:
    Jun 14, 2012 8:44 AM
    @tomthebombtracy

Starters on the Ravens defense over the age of 30:

Ed Reed
    Ray Lewis

———————————————
    You’re correct, but that is also the MO of the Steelers Defense. They draft good young talent and allow them to develop behind veterans so that they can learn a complex system. Key and Hampton are certainly on the way out, but they’ve got Heyward and Ta’Amu/Sylvester behind them. Foote and Harrison are getting up there, but they’ve got Worlids and Spence sitting behind those guys. Clark and Troy are both over the age of 30, but just barely so they’ve got a couple years to make moves there.

People have been saying the Steelers defense was too old since we had the likes of Jason Gildon, Dewayne Johnson, and Kimo von O-notgoingtotrytospellhis last name. Yet they’re always near the top of the league. Some teams just get it and know how to build defenses. The Ravens and Steelers are two of them.

22. eaglesw00t says: Jun 14, 2012 9:13 AM

EJ says:
    Jun 14, 2012 7:54 AM

—————————————-

2-3 elite receivers per year? That would mean there should be 30ish elite receivers in the NFL, along with 50-100 good and 100-150 decent.

I think you overestimate the quality of receivers in the NFL. There are only 10 or so truly elite receivers in the NFL if that.

23. lovefootball4life says: Jun 14, 2012 9:16 AM

tomthebombtracy says: Jun 14, 2012 7:37 AM

… Fact is, the Bengals had another great draft and they’re the team to be worried about. We have to hope Dalton isn’t the real deal and that he folds like the Unreal McCoy in Cleveland in his second year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As a Raven’s fan I couldn’t agree more. Ravens/Steelers are so focused on each other but Bengals are right there. Dalton and Green were rookies last year but the team made the wildcard round anyway. They added to the defense in the draft and picked up “the law firm” for the backfield. Other than Green they don’t have a viable second receiver…yet. As Ravens and Steelers are sliding down with age, the Bengals are climbing up with their youth.

24. qj1984 says: Jun 14, 2012 9:36 AM

@napoleonblownapart6887

I am sick of hearing Steelers fans talk about how old the Ravens defense is getting. Because it is simply not true. The Steelers might be in the process of making that transition but the Ravens have already done it. And I don’t think they get enough credit for it.

Now I am hearing the Bengals are the new young team. The Ravens seem like a team that should be long in the tooth because they have been so successful for so long but even on offense, there is far more youth than aging players.

Anquan Boldin is the only starter at a skill position that is over 30. Depending on who takes Ben Grubbs spot, half the offensive line will be just entering their primes. With McKinnie and Birk being the lone old men on the line.

25. randallflagg52 says: Jun 14, 2012 10:14 AM

ziggy26 says:Jun 14, 2012 7:03 AM

==================================

Antonio Brown is NOT a pro bowl WR. He is a pro bowl kick returner. Big difference. You don’t see Bear fans proclaiming Hester as a pro bowl WR…

Oh and Antonio Brown had 2 TDs as a WR last year. Nothing special about him as a WR.

26. napoleonblownapart6887 says: Jun 14, 2012 10:27 AM

@qj1984

If you’re talking generally about people saying the Ravens D is getting old then I can’t speak to that – I certainly don’t think that the Ravens D is “old” (would be very much a pot and kettle situation).

I agree that if you’re a Ravens fan, there is a lot to be excited about with some solid primed players – Ngata, Webb, Rice, Yanda, and Suggs – I would just caution you on two things: 1) Don’t assume that once a guy hits 32-33 that he’s incapable of contributing, both our teams are littered with examples of how that’s not the case. 2) Don’t assume the trajectory for some of the younger players is automatically consistent – Guys like Torrey Smith, Jimmy Smith, Ed Dickson, and others may look good early, but all could see their talents plateau. I’ll give you two examples of what I’m talking about: Michael Oher (who had a GREAT rookie campaign, but has never had a season similar dealing with injuries, penalties, and what seems to be a bit of a regression), and Emmanuel Sanders (who showed a lot of flashes and was projected to be #2 next year, but then dealt with injuries and stone hands).

27. ziggy26 says: Jun 14, 2012 10:54 AM

@randallflagg52

Ok, you are correct, Brown went to the ProBowl as a returner. However, he also went over 1,100 receiving yards last season, which makes him the only player in NFL history to have 1,000 yards receiving and returning in the same season.

So my point still stands, how does drafting Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown in back-to-back drafts indicate a sinking ship? (especially when you consider both of these players came in round three or later).

28. sdiegosteel says: Jun 14, 2012 11:31 AM

This isn’t a knock on Wallace, but Antonio Brown has shown himself to be 100% class in everything he has done. He was team MVP last year in part because he is a first to come/last to leave practice player. Some of the stuff he’s done with fans have gone above and beyond what 99% of players do. In no way, shape, or form has Wallace been a bad guy – – but Brown has been an exceptional guy. Guys like Ike Taylor and Aaron Smith (among others) could have easily made more money elsewhere and turned it down to stay in Pittsburgh . . . Brown sounds like he could be one of those guys too.

29. qj1984 says: Jun 14, 2012 11:49 AM

@napoleonblownapart6887

Oh, I totally agree on both points. I just think it’s fairly ignorant for people to keep saying the Ravens are going to hit a wall because they are getting old because as I have showcased there isn’t very much age there. If the Ravens falter it will not be because they are old and slow.

I don’t know if Michael Oher is a good example. This year will be the first time in his NFL career where he has played the same position for two years in a row. His rookie year he was a RT, primarily. They switched him to LT his second year and than back to RT last season. That’s a lot of change for a young player to deal with. I don’t know if we would have seen the decline in his play had they left well enough alone and with some continuity I expect him to improve.

A better example is Mark Clayton. That year that Clayton played with Steve McNair, there were people ready to give Derrick Mason his walking papers. But it was all down hill from there for Clayton.

30. sudz28 says: Jun 14, 2012 11:53 AM

I always get a kick out of the people who quickly throw up the “Steelers are too old!” comments. They only finished last season ranked #1 in points allowed per game in the league. Oh, and #1 in yards allowed per game. Almost forgot – #1 in pass yards allowed per game. Which means their Defense was ranked #1 overall out of all 32 teams.

I guess when you can’t complain about their performance, you choose something irrelevant like their age? I don’t care if they’re in their teens, 20’s, 30’s or 40’s, I only care that they’re cracking skulls and getting to the post season. Looking forward to another year of bone-jarring defense from the BEST DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE!

31. Deb says: Jun 14, 2012 12:55 PM

Don’t know why people are assuming Brown is playing nice now but will become a big-headed idiot when it’s time to negotiate his contract. With the Steelers, Wallace is the exception, not the rule. It’s rare that we find ourselves in this kind of situation with a guy who thinks he’s Larry Fitzgerald–all evidence to the contrary. I think Brown will try to get his deal down quickly and with a minimum of drama.

32. covercorner says: Jun 14, 2012 2:17 PM

If Antonio Brown tears an ACL, the Steelers will waive him injured or not offer him a contract above league minimum.

33. fsf7 says: Jun 14, 2012 4:45 PM

ziggy26 says:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:54 AM
    @randallflagg52

———————————

Because it’s the desperate hope of an extreme Ravens fan who is extremely immature.