Judge David Doty: I thought I was done with the NFL

Roger Goodell, DeMaurice Smith, AP

After nearly two decades of overseeing the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, Judge David Doty thought that came to an end when Judge Susan Nelson took the baton with the settlement of Tom Brady v. NFL and the new CBA last year. But that might not be the case.

The union wants to reopen the Reggie White v. NFL antitrust case because the union alleges that the NFL owners engaged in collusion under the old CBA, and that means Doty may not be done yet.

I thought it was all done and it had moved down the street with the Brady case. Judge Nelson did a hell of a job,” Doty told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “There’s still a question about whether I should be able to sit on it or if Judge Nelson should sit on it, a new generation kind of thing. I’m not sure because I don’t know what the NFL’s going to do. . . . I thought it was all over and I was going to be able to tell all the stories I’d love to tell.”

Reading the 83-year-old Doty’s comments, you get the sense that he feels like Roger Murtaugh, saying, “I’m too old for this [stuff].” And you also get the sense that, after all these years of closely monitoring the business of professional football, he’s not as high on its future as most league observers are.

“I’m wondering if at some point the bubble theory will overtake sports,” Doty said. “I thought it would happen long before but this bubble seems to get bigger. I’m wondering if something is going to happen that will burst the bubble of sports and huge salaries and huge stadiums that are subsidized by taxpayers.”

The NFLPA’s accusation of collusion in the wake of the NFL-imposed penalties on the Redskins and Cowboys for exceeding a salary cap that didn’t exist in 2010 is a new wrinkle in the ongoing battle between the owners and the union, and a case that has Doty lamenting that just when he thought he was out, they’re pulling him back in.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Judge David Doty: I thought I was done with the NFL”
  1. smartanis says: Jun 14, 2012 7:41 PM

This whole thing is still dirty pool on the part of DeMaurice Smith. He agreed to the punishments because doing so raised the salary cap and saved his job, and now that he’s been re-elected, he’s suing the NFL claiming that the actions he was part of constituted collusion.

In retrospect, I bet Goodell wishes he had just let the salary cap fall this year.

2. insanelomein2 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:59 PM

I still dont understand what credentials DeMaurice Smith has pertaining to him being the NFLPA Executive.

3. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 14, 2012 8:03 PM

I cannot subdue the ever-present urge to deliver a haymaker directly into the flapping face of Demaurice Smith. Booooo thattt mannnnn…

4. kylecormier says: Jun 14, 2012 8:09 PM

I read the title too quick and thought it said John David Booty

5. One Up the Bum says: Jun 14, 2012 8:20 PM

In his veiled reference to Happy Days, Judge Doty thinks everyone involved should “sit on it”.

Now if the Vikings did move out of Minnesota, wouldn’t any new NFL cases be out of the Minnesota court’s jurisdiction?

6. jwesty says: Jun 14, 2012 8:43 PM

D. Smith-

Get over it…just be happy you have this job. Do not f-it up.

Just saying

7. proflonghair says: Jun 14, 2012 8:44 PM

Just when I thought I was out…they pull me back in

8. eagleswin says: Jun 14, 2012 8:44 PM

“I’m wondering if something is going to happen that will burst the bubble of sports and huge salaries and huge stadiums that are subsidized by taxpayers.”

=========================

Sounds like Judge Doty has been hoping the NFL would implode for awhile now. That might explain some of his rulings.

It doesn’t change the fact that DeSmith doesn’t have a case.

9. playin2x says: Jun 14, 2012 9:05 PM

10. musicman495 says: Jun 14, 2012 9:25 PM

insanelomein2 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:59 PM

————————————-
    The vote of the NFLPA membership.

11. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 14, 2012 9:25 PM

“Dotty, Dotty, wake up!”, they shouted in his earhorn. “You’re not done!”.

“No, we never won……I said done….DONE!….you’re not DONE!”.

12. FinFan68 says: Jun 14, 2012 10:12 PM

R
    E
    A
    C
    H

13. kane337 says: Jun 14, 2012 10:33 PM

Seriously, Judge Doty is the only dude in the country allowed to rule on NFL issues? WTF!

14. kane337 says: Jun 14, 2012 10:35 PM

De Smith can go to hell. I hate that guy.

15. Deb says: Jun 14, 2012 10:39 PM

You’re making me want to pull out the DVDs tonight with your clips from My Cousin Vinny and The Godfather III. And Judge Doty’s making me nervous.

I don’t believe the concussion issue will kill football. New technologies will make the game safer, and the Powers That Be aren’t going to risk billions of dollars in revenues because they’re too cheap to invest in better helmets. But Doty’s right. All this endless fighting over every dollar could eventually lead to a football Armageddon in the courtroom. If these dogs don’t stop tearing at this piece of meat, they’re liable to wind up with a decision no one can stomach.

16. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 14, 2012 10:42 PM

Doty is so old they will have to communicate with a Ouija Board soon.

17. Deb says: Jun 14, 2012 10:46 PM

playin2x says:

Retire if u don’t want to do ur job … Ur a judge not a construction worker .. How hard is it to sit on a chair and judge people.
    ————————————————–
    I’m not surprised this is beyond someone who relies on text-speak, but our legal system is extremely complex. Judges, especially at the federal level, must be well-versed in the law in order to rule on these difficult issues. That requires years and years of study and experience. It’s not a matter of just sitting on a chair and judging people :roll:

18. skolvikesskol says: Jun 14, 2012 11:59 PM

The reason Doty is the judge is bc all the orginal antitrust law suits orginated here. They were filed here bc our region of judges r usually pro labor

19. skolvikesskol says: Jun 15, 2012 12:02 AM

The nflpa is the weakest of all pro sports unions. They also seem to have the dumbest leaders… I really dont understand how the players cave at every step then cry about their bad deal. Anythoughts?

20. rajbais says: Jun 15, 2012 1:34 AM

Poor Judge Doty!!! I thought he was too, but I never bought into the whole “there’s 10 years of labor peace” talk!!!!

The owners won without hindsight!!! They have the 99% cash spending mechanism over the first two years, they and the commissioner have put the players in a bad position with the conduct policy rulings, and they got somewhat higher of the revenue share. It used to be 50-50, but now it’s between 47-53 and 48-52.