Kenrick Ellis, finished with minicamp, heads to jail

New York Jets 2011 Headshots Getty Images

This is the time of year when most NFL players finish their minicamps and head out on vacation.

Jets defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis, however, is heading to a Virginia jail to begin a 45-day sentence for his role in a 2010 fight while he was a college student.

“I have conversations with a lot of our players, but obviously that’s a different situation. But I definitely talked to him,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said, per the Newark Star-Ledger. “There are people that have gone through similar things, and I basically said, ‘Lean on each other.’ That’s pretty much it.”

Ellis isn’t scheduled to be released until July 29, three days after the Jets are scheduled to report to training camp. He didn’t have much to say about his next 45 days, other than he wanted to continue getting ready for training camp.

“Conditioning is a major part of playing in the NFL. I’ll just try to get in better shape,” Ellis said. “I’m just going to do my best to show up here and contribute to the team.”

Ryan has praised Ellis’ work throughout the offseason, citing him as one of the Jets most-improved players. He mentioned that the former 330-pounder once couldn’t do a pull-up, but now does 10 sets of 10 with weights attached to him.

If nothing else, Ellis will have time to keep himself in shape, while his teammates are relaxing by the pool.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Kenrick Ellis, finished with minicamp, heads to jail”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 14, 2012 5:16 PM

“Im sorry, Kenrick can’t come to the phone. He is working out in The Yard.”.

2. drexelvol says: Jun 14, 2012 5:31 PM

Wow, that’s some great advice there, coach.

3. capitaloffense says: Jun 14, 2012 6:02 PM

Sheesh, what kind of fight gets you a month and change in the clink?! He must’ve punched a hole in the face of a pregnant, handicap woman in a Scooter Chair while wearing spiked brass knuckles and traces of cocaine in his fingernails. I’ve had a run in or two (or three or five) for some pretty nasty fights in my dumber days and rarely have I had to spend more than a weekend at a precinct or central.

Google time…

4. jets13 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:06 PM

I still can’t believe this guy is going to jail…..any one of us would’ve done the same friggin thing…you hit on my wife, i ask you to leave, you come back with a baseball bat……what do you expect me to do?

then he gets charged because he hit him a few too many times……give me a break

5. capitaloffense says: Jun 14, 2012 6:15 PM

Seriously?! THAT’S what happened. In that case, I may have even sided with him if he had beat the man to death. If you are CLEARLY in the wrong and you return with a baseball bat, you deserve what you get. Brandishing a weapon in my eyes means that you mean business and my life is in danger. Therefore, I will act accordingly.

6. EJ says: Jun 14, 2012 6:18 PM

I guess its better to just get it over with. I’m sure he will be able to get into great shape while he’s in there. He must have really hurt this guy, or the judge just wasn’t having a good day when he was sentenced. I’ve seen guys get less time after slamming another’s face into a concrete wall, breaking his jaw and nose. Guy ended up getting a month of weekend jail. Good luck Ellis!

7. dcpatfan says: Jun 14, 2012 6:58 PM

You guys gotta remember. It’s Virginia.

8. ctdlc85 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:19 PM

I didn’t know the details of Ellis’ fight, but if what I read above is true, that Ellis asked the “victim” to leave after this guy hit on Ellis’date and then the idiot comes back with a baseball bat, how can anybody blame Ellis for taking this guy out?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the treatment Ellis got from the Court was influenced by Ellis’ stature as a high profile athlete. The court may have been trying to “send a message” to others that this type I’d behavior won’t be tolerated. In this case, I think the behavior was understandable. Ellis may have gone too far in how badly he hurt this idiot, but maybe he didn’t. Only people who were there can really have a sense of that. Even if Ellis got carried away, he certainly wasn’t the aggressor if the guy comes back with a bat.

They call our system if laws and courts a justice system, but even if it upholds the laws, little about this system is just.

9. peepeetoucher says: Jun 14, 2012 7:35 PM

Kenrick says goodbye to his team mates, walks outside to a waiting white limo, sits down in back seat, pops some valium, and says to the driver “Now take me to jail”.

10. 00johnnyrocket00 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:58 PM

It sounds like a heavy sentence but I am going to assume the active jail time was necessary as part of the plea bargain to ensure that he would not be deported back to Jamaica. From everything I read it sounds like this kid had it coming to him.

11. sixburghrules says: Jun 14, 2012 8:10 PM

jets13 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:06 PM

then he gets charged because he hit him a few too many times……give me a break
    ________________________________

I have looked on the web and cannot find anything to support your inference!

12. sixburghrules says: Jun 14, 2012 8:12 PM

He is NOT a model IDOL as well! History repeats itself!

13. romoscollarbone says: Jun 14, 2012 9:04 PM

Stinks he won’t get the nutrition needed, to recover. I say that because, you know he is PO’d at himself, so he’s gonna push it hard when he works out in there.

Reading what I did about the situation, last year, I would’ve prob done the same thing. If you approach me with a bat and don’t get it done, I’m destroying you. Period.

14. warrenpeacephotography says: Jun 14, 2012 9:41 PM

Why did Ellis get such a heavy sentence? Because he’s black. And without looking it up, I am going to bet that the guy he beat up is white. If our legal system isn’t racist, then it isn’t anything.

15. jets13 says: Jun 14, 2012 10:19 PM

I have looked on the web and cannot find anything to support your inference!

_______________________

maybe you need a new web, everyone even the victim admits it was over the girlfriend

16. granadafan says: Jun 14, 2012 10:33 PM

10 sets of 10 pullups with weights attached is really impressive, especially for a 300 pounder. That has to be a typo.

17. sixburghrules says: Jun 14, 2012 10:53 PM

—————————————
    Don’t bring up up racial crap man! It might be but you are the the stereotypical person that keeps this racist crap alive. I am a white male and I do believe that Trayvon Williams did something to provoke the situations but I don’t agree with racial comments just for the sake of comments

18. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 14, 2012 11:30 PM

@granadafan

He’s going to jail because the few punches he threw at a guy with a bat broke the the guys nose and jaw. It’s not a typo, Kenrick Ellis is just a human freight train. If his natural athleticism turns into production he could be scary.

19. backindasaddle says: Jun 15, 2012 2:12 PM

capitaloffense says:
    Jun 14, 2012 6:02 PM
    Sheesh, what kind of fight gets you a month and change in the clink?!
    ——————————————————————————————-

The kind where you nearly beat somebody to death. This guy beat him so badly he nearly died.

20. adamjac78 says: Jun 16, 2012 7:33 PM

I know I would do the same thing. The only difference is that I’m not 330+ pounds and built like a house. I think that is the main issue, is simply his size and the amount of damage he was able to inflict because of it.