Ravens tiptoe around Ed Reed

Ed Reed AP

An awkward dance continues between the Ravens and safety Ed Reed.

Reed didn’t show up for a mandatory minicamp, skipping all three days.  The team doesn’t know why he wasn’t there.

As of Wednesday night, coach John Harbaugh hadn’t even spoken to the perennial Pro Bowler.

No, I haven’t,” Harbaugh said, via the Carroll County Times.  “Not to make too much out of it, I have tremendous respect for Ed.  I’ve used the word admiration.  I’m not worried about Ed being ready.  I said a couple of weeks ago that I know is going to be working hard and getting himself ready for the season.”

It’s almost as if the Ravens believe that, when it’s time to play, Reed will show up and play — but that if they say or do something to upset him, maybe he won’t.

Reed, who briefly mused about retirement several weeks ago, likely realizes that his value to the team has increased given the injury to linebacker Terrell Suggs, putting Reed in line for a new deal that provides more security beyond his current contract, which pays out $7.2 million in 2012.  And he also likely wanted the Ravens to figure that out on their own, without him having to take a stand.

Now that he has, the question is whether the Ravens will conclude that they need to find a way to give Reed, a 10-year veteran, a new deal that reflects his enhanced value to the franchise, especially with Suggs’ suddenly sounding less optimistic about his timetable for a return.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
68 Responses to “Ravens tiptoe around Ed Reed”
  1. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 14, 2012 11:31 PM

Sadly, Reed might be too old and too fragile to invest into. I don’t believe the Ravens are going to take a financial risk on a player that likely won’t be present for every game this year.

2. stairwayto7 says: Jun 14, 2012 11:35 PM

Let the Ravens downfall begin!

3. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 14, 2012 11:37 PM

Generally, I’d say he has an obligation to his team and fans….

But, he’s Ed Reed…I’m don’t wanna upset the dude

4. eastsideballa says: Jun 14, 2012 11:37 PM

5. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 14, 2012 11:45 PM

He’ll retire if they don’t cut thecheck. I don’t blame him…

6. reed20ravens says: Jun 14, 2012 11:52 PM

hes my favorite player, dont get me wrong, but hes gotta get to practice. put the issues aside and handle it like a veteran. hell, terrell suggs is at practice.

7. lilb360 says: Jun 14, 2012 11:54 PM

I really do not like the Ravens (mainly because they have owned my Broncos over the years). But Ed Reed is one of my favorite players ever. I really hope he doesn’t retire, the way he plays and the talent he has will be sorely missed. What bums me out is that he’s only been playing for ten years and his health is making him consider retirement. in my opinion Ed revolutionized the safety position.

8. pflynn20 says: Jun 15, 2012 12:06 AM

How does the does the Ravens PR guy tip-toe around Flacco’s unibrow?

9. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 15, 2012 12:08 AM

Looks like Ed has Baltimore bent over a barrel. Better give the man his money, dont see the Ravens doing well without him and Suggs, plus an unhappy Ray Rice.

10. rickyspanish says: Jun 15, 2012 12:10 AM

eastsideballa

HAHAHAAA! Detroit winning a Super Bowl in two years is priceless! Seriously, I have tears in my eyes, thanks for lightening things up, I needed that. I was laughing so hard I almost forgot the Packers, Saints, Bears, Patriots, Giants, Chargers and Steelers existed, apparently you have too.

11. ampatsisahypocrite says: Jun 15, 2012 12:24 AM

And the Ravens 2012 meltdown officially begins!

12. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 15, 2012 12:44 AM

“Tiptoe to Detroit Ed, we’ll pay you handsomely and you’ll win a superbowl within 2 years max something you won’t do in Baltimore.”

********************

And your team mates will have a big fatty rolled up for you to smoke when you decide to drive drunk

13. derekjetersmansion says: Jun 15, 2012 12:45 AM

Is that Ed Reed or his dad in the picture?

14. ravenmaniacisback says: Jun 15, 2012 12:54 AM

Hey stairmaster….how is Wallace doing in camp….let the Steeler demise begin…oh wait that started when you got tebowed in the playoffs….

15. baltimoreballs says: Jun 15, 2012 1:02 AM

@stairway7 Tim Tebow was the start of the Steelers downfall

I hope I can see Ed play again this season in purple and black, he’s a truly remarkable person to see play live and in person.

16. anarchopurplism says: Jun 15, 2012 1:04 AM

Maybe he was too busy “beasting”

17. jessethegreat says: Jun 15, 2012 1:10 AM

Definite Hall of Fame player that still has a few excellent years of playing time ahead of him.

18. ygkr85 says: Jun 15, 2012 1:18 AM

Ed will get a bump for this year, put it down. A la Osi, only Ed is more deserving. 7.2M is pretty high though, what does he want, 9?

19. jimiinpa says: Jun 15, 2012 1:19 AM

self centered, greedy , punk

20. msclemons67 says: Jun 15, 2012 1:46 AM

$7.2 million for a safety who will turn 34 before week 3.

I’m not sure what the problem is here.

21. beltlessbuckler says: Jun 15, 2012 2:02 AM

with the self-proclaimed “top tier” Joey Flaccid at the helms, they don’t need two perrenial pro bowlers on D.
    Fear the Ravens… Nevermore!

22. hedleykow says: Jun 15, 2012 2:04 AM

Got Leverage?

23. jamaltimore says: Jun 15, 2012 2:34 AM

REEEED will be called on Sundays this year in Baltimore!!! Bet on it.

24. electionconfidential says: Jun 15, 2012 3:13 AM

Old boy’s gonna quit. You can smell it coming… Guess he saved his money… You go Ed!!!

25. donny1rodriguez says: Jun 15, 2012 3:22 AM

@stairwayto7 Just like last season huh? Steelers will be fighting for a wildcard spot come week 16 17. Watch

26. omgmall says: Jun 15, 2012 4:02 AM

Get in line Ed Reed. You are behind Joe Flacco and Ray Rice in the contract line.

27. rockthered1286 says: Jun 15, 2012 5:47 AM

Anybody who has followed Ed Reed over the years knows this is typical of him. Almost every year he contemplates retirement, whines about money then shows up. Much ado about nothing.

28. vincentbojackson says: Jun 15, 2012 6:04 AM

The top three players most important to the Raven’s success are Suggs, Reed and Rice.

None have practiced once this offseason and you can tell by his comments that Harbaugh is frustrated if not concerned.

29. tdbragg says: Jun 15, 2012 6:15 AM

The last time I checked mandatory means , you must be there . Hes under contract and hes had six months to decide if he wants to play . Bottom line , show up and do your job or tell the team youre done , and move on with life . Why become a distraction to your team ?

30. eagleswin says: Jun 15, 2012 6:21 AM

touchdownroddywhite says:
    Jun 14, 2012 11:45 PM
    He’ll retire if they don’t cut thecheck. I don’t blame him…

——————————

He’s making 7.2 mill for one year, not the NFL minimum. I highly doubt he’ll retire.

31. walkingtalking1 says: Jun 15, 2012 6:49 AM

The Baltimore Divas. These honeys are’nt going to the playoffs this year!

32. mancinibread says: Jun 15, 2012 7:11 AM

So FUN to watch all the Ratbirds’ preseason problems!!

33. ezg1 says: Jun 15, 2012 7:21 AM

Suggs’ injury, an ageing and ineffective Lewis, Reed’s indifference to his team and teammates, Rice’s contract, and a QB that thinks he’s better than he has demonstrated, Ozzie certainly has his hands full attempting to put the wheels back on this wagon for perhaps its last run at a title!

34. njsteelersfan says: Jun 15, 2012 7:32 AM

baltimoreballs says:Jun 15, 2012 1:02 AM

@stairway7 Tim Tebow was the start of the Steelers downfall

——————————————————–
    Maybe the Ravens can beat the Jaguars or Seahawks this year

35. gizzmonic says: Jun 15, 2012 7:51 AM

he is still heartbroken… the TD drop or the missed chipshot FG destroyed him mentally

36. giantsfan82 says: Jun 15, 2012 8:08 AM

Guy looks like he’s 48 years old.

Oh.. Sorry Ed… Don’t wanna make you upset.

37. mrpkg says: Jun 15, 2012 8:18 AM

I am surprised how much Harbaugh is letting his players walk all over him. Reed does not show up or talk with the head coach. Suggs lies how he got hurt. And Harbaugh sings their praises!

Harbaugh is losing control of this team, and it will spiral down quickly.

38. obamareallysucks says: Jun 15, 2012 8:33 AM

the whole city of baltimore is as ignorant as these raven losers!

39. CKL says: Jun 15, 2012 8:40 AM

He’s a great player but man what a diva.

40. qj1984 says: Jun 15, 2012 8:52 AM

In my opinion, stunts like this by Ed are only going to hurt him in the long run. No team is going to invest the kind of money he wants into a player that they can’t count on to be there. His constantly threatening to retire, age and injuries are going to make teams think twice about him unless he’s dirt cheap to sign. Keep pulling these stunts Ed, your just making yourself cheaper for the Ravens.

41. marshmont says: Jun 15, 2012 8:52 AM

ed reed is a total diva. a real pain in the as*. i hope he goes somewhere. the ravens draft so good that they have many young stars on the team.ladarious webb is ed’s replacement. he was a safety in college. he is a great talent. jimmy smith, drafted in the 1st round last year doesn’t have a position(he is a corner). bye reed.

42. donterrelli says: Jun 15, 2012 9:01 AM

He needs to get to practice. It seems like every year he does this, and then goes out and gets caught in a gust of wind and misses games. If he falls down – he’s injured. If he gets tackled – he’s injured. If Hines Ward – you get the point.

43. ravenater says: Jun 15, 2012 9:05 AM

Look at all the Steeler trolls! Don’t you people have something else better to do than to troll stories about your arch-enemy team and post the same boring stuff over and over again? And I truly mean that.

So what if you are correct about the impending implosion of my Ravens? We DO have many critical problems this year that will force us to be 7-9 at best, with T-Sizzle on the shelf, Reed and Rice unhappy about their contracts, Joe Flacco trying to convince himself he is a top-slight NFL QB, Lewis another step slower and more prone to injury, our coach being paranoid about what th media say and what music is played on the scoreboard, our players being out of shape in the OTA’s, and so forth and so on. But come on man, please have some respect and stay on your own boards. Leave us Raven fans alone in our upcoming misery, for goodness sakes!

44. stew48 says: Jun 15, 2012 9:12 AM

I checked closely for an expert comment from ravenator, but no such appeared. He isprobably crying somewhere about all the serious problems his team is having getting ready for 2012. I do hope the problems continue, except I would want any injury to be healed and not a problem. You know, ravenator, this is a story about your ravens and you have not commented once. If it were about the Steelers, you would have showed your total ignorance several times.

45. ravenator says: Jun 15, 2012 9:21 AM

Wow love the imposter. You all do realize Ed Reed does this every year than goes on to play better than every other safety in the league. Funny how he was on PUP one year yet still managed to put up better numbers than Troy P. or whoever that 2nd fidle safety is called.

46. toolkien says: Jun 15, 2012 9:24 AM

Tell him to get with the program or supply a list of teams he’d agree to be traded to. That’s what the Packers should have done in 2005 when Favre started the whole “it’s all about me, whaddya gunna do about it?” stuff. It went on for over three years and still ended painfully. And what’s the point? So the “legends” and their legacy remain intact? So you can have a Jim Brown fire off rounds at you forty years later? Either you believe in your program or you don’t. If you do, you don’t let yourself get dictated to by anyone. No one is above your team.

47. ihateravens says: Jun 15, 2012 9:39 AM

BOOM!

48. sirhulka says: Jun 15, 2012 9:42 AM

Just like the Mike Wallace situation in Pittsburgh, this situation will end up being a non-issue. There is a reason Baltimore and Pittsburgh are consistent contenders, and it’s laughable that stupid posts like these even get responses such as, “let the downfall begin.”

49. raqaiw says: Jun 15, 2012 9:46 AM

They’ve played without Reed before- and still played well. This isn’t the Steelers defense who falls apart when Polamalu isn’t back there. No one player makes that team, except maybe Ngata. If he got hurt I’d be worried.

50. schmitty2 says: Jun 15, 2012 9:48 AM

ravenater says:Jun 15, 2012 9:05 AM

How hypocritical can you be? You post garbage on every Steeler’s thread now your whining. Grow up dude!

51. ravenator says: Jun 15, 2012 9:51 AM

Oh man! Steeler trolls out in full force today. Unfortunately, I left my Mjölnir at home.

52. ravenater says: Jun 15, 2012 10:16 AM

Yep, the Steeler trolls are out in full force today. But, we may need Master Chief on our Raven’s sideline this year, since man do we have the problems!! I may have to spend time watching the Orioles to amuse myself when I am not trolling on Steeler stories.

53. mostlombardisintheleague says: Jun 15, 2012 10:16 AM

and the Nest crumbles……..Yeah Baby !

54. EJ says: Jun 15, 2012 10:25 AM

Great player thats about to earn big time money,(7.2M) you can’t seriously think he will retire before collecting that. Reed has at the very least 2 more great years of service left in him. Retirement has been talked about before, but I wouldn’t believe it.

55. lovefootball4life says: Jun 15, 2012 10:31 AM

Whoever ravenater (with an “e”) is has reached a new low trying to pass himself off as ravenator (with an “o”). This “my team can beat up your team” crap is actually making it not fun to read PFT. I hope the moderators read and act on this.

56. ravenater says: Jun 15, 2012 10:54 AM

lovefootball4life, what are you blathering about? Have you ever heard of the US CONSTITUTION and FREEDOM OF SPEECH? We all can say what we want. Are you a communist or something? Get a life, you tool, you just wasted a post.

57. ravenmaniacisback says: Jun 15, 2012 11:10 AM

Njsteeler……I do believe we beat your team twice last year…one was a major beatdown….
    Besides maybe your steelers will get another shot at Tebow this year…..steelers D getting old…..tebowed!!

58. upyoursnfu says: Jun 15, 2012 11:22 AM

Ravens tip toe around Ed Reed, like Ed Reed tip toes around making a tackle….except in the playoffs. Yep, even the beat writers for the Baltimore Sun agree

59. Eternal Optimist says: Jun 15, 2012 12:06 PM

Oh no! What are they going to do without Zbikowski?

60. ratbirdking says: Jun 15, 2012 12:14 PM

Let the Matt Barkley campaign begin. I am hoping we go 0-16, get a nice draft in order and dominate 2013.

Plus, it’s all about the O’s now.

61. Deb says: Jun 15, 2012 1:48 PM

Maybe it’s because I’m very direct, but I don’t get this concept of trying to send a message by not showing up for camp. And I don’t get why the coach wouldn’t call to say, “Hey, why weren’t you at camp?”

If Ed feels he’s underpaid, he and his agent should schedule a meeting with Ozzie and discuss. And failing that, Ozzie or Harbaugh should call and ask him if there’s something they need to discuss. Good grief, they’re adult businessmen. Act like it.

62. lovefootball4life says: Jun 15, 2012 2:04 PM

ravenater says: Jun 15, 2012 10:54 AM

——————————————-
    Guess you haven’t haven’t made it to your high school civics classes yet. Freedom of speech is in the Bill of Rights which is the first amendment to the Constitution but it has restrictions…such as slander.

My point is I want to read football and comments about football.

63. escoboltsfan says: Jun 15, 2012 2:15 PM

Reed suiting up in anything but purple and black would be a travesty.

64. mostlombardisintheleague says: Jun 15, 2012 3:33 PM

how often does Reed make a play with no concern for injury to himself such that he makes the play that was needed ? This is one of Polamalu’s trademarks.

65. stew48 says: Jun 15, 2012 3:51 PM

to: lovefootball

You have the same problem I do; I had to check, but slander is spoken, libel is written. Also, the Bill of Rights is a part of the Constitution via amendment. It is not additional, but part of.

66. SteelyMcBeam6 says: Jun 15, 2012 4:23 PM

Ravens fans are sucking on the tit of last seasons glory. It’s over, move on. On know its the only positive of your entire history against the steelers but really? On ever post? “you got swept” “you got tebowed” if all you can do is talk about the past then so will I. Even with your sweep the ravens all time record against the steelers, including the playoffs, is a mediocre 14-24 (.368 win percentage) history doesn’t start and stop only when it’s convenient for you ravens fans. Your season last year is now as relevant as any other season so if you insist on talking only about last season. I’ll simply bring up that even with your sweep, we still own you.

67. ravenater says: Jun 15, 2012 5:47 PM

Might as well not sign him to a new contract. After all, my Ravens will be bankrupt of talent after next couple years. We will be looking up to ant bellies.

68. randallflagg52 says: Jun 15, 2012 8:52 PM

Pittsburgh fans are still bitter about the Ravens sweeping their team. The Orioles sweeping the Pirates yesterday isn’t helping their inferiority complex.