Schiano pleased with Talib’s work, concerned about his legal issues

Aqib Talib AP

For Buccaneers cornerback Aqib Talib, there’s good news and bad news as this week’s minicamp concludes.

The good news is that Talib’s new boss, Bucs head coach Greg Schiano, is giving him favorable reviews for his performance. The bad news is that neither Talib, Schiano nor anyone else has any idea if Talib will actually be able to play in Tampa Bay this season, because it’s entirely possible that Talib will be in prison.

Talib is scheduled to go on trial on June 25 in Texas on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony that carries a maximum sentence of up to 20 years in prison. Even if Talib isn’t in prison after the trial, anything other than complete exoneration in the case is likely to get Talib suspended by the NFL because he’s a repeat violator of the league’s personal-conduct policy. He was suspended for the first game of the 2010 season for slugging a cab driver.

Schiano acknowledges that that’s a concern.

“Well, any time you have a guy where there’s an off-the-field situation that could affect his on-the-field situation, you’re concerned,” Schiano said, via the Tampa Bay Times.

The flip side, however, is that Schiano says all he really knows about Talib is what he’s seen on the field, and in that respect Schiano is thrilled.

“The thing that I can tell you is since I arrived here Jan. 26, he’s been awesome,” Schiano said. “The way he’s worked, he’s been here every day. I hope that it’s left behind him and there isn’t anything and that we can move forward because, again, I can only judge people since I’ve been involved. I can’t stick my head in the sand, as I’ve said before, but on the other hand . . . he’s been extremely focused and here, doing everything that we asked. So I’m pleased with that and hope everything can just kind of sort itself out.”

Schiano acknowledged that the Bucs have “plans just in case” Talib isn’t on the team this year, but that “I hope like heck we don’t ever have to dust them off.” So while Schiano would prefer not to have any outside distractions, he will have to be keenly interested in the events inside a Texas courtroom in two weeks.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Schiano pleased with Talib’s work, concerned about his legal issues”
  1. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 14, 2012 12:24 PM

When he gets out he can sign on to desean jackson’s rap label. If it isn’t defunct by then.

2. dbones750 says: Jun 14, 2012 12:33 PM

I’m surprised. Schiano seems like a no-nonsense kind of guy. I guess supreme talent will always get scumbags off the hook. I hope Talib winds up in jail and those plans have to be dusted off.

3. patsaintsbroncoscheat says: Jun 14, 2012 12:42 PM

POS b/c of his upbringing

4. hedleykow says: Jun 14, 2012 12:46 PM

Before convicting Talib in the court of public opinion, let him have his day on Jerry Springer.

5. sportsmeccabi says: Jun 14, 2012 12:46 PM

@nflofficeadmin

First bar of the song will be

I ball so hard for all 4 of the games quarters
    I’m locked up like a wide receiver by a shutdown corner!

6. ortonwhiskeycrew says: Jun 14, 2012 12:49 PM

He was just trying to be a buccaneer on and off the field.

7. cromags says: Jun 14, 2012 12:50 PM

It’s funny how these coaches that are big talkers on discipline and character always make exceptions for guys like this due to talent.

8. captfoxboro says: Jun 14, 2012 1:00 PM

Schiano doesn’t strike me as a guy who’d want a person like Talib on his team – no matter how punctual he is …he’s still a punk .

In fact , if this guy didn’t have ball skills – he’d have been in prison long ago for beating on that cabbie .

9. arush40 says: Jun 14, 2012 1:15 PM

Im not condoning Talibs actions but he was protecting his sister from her abusive boyfriend and I respect that. I believe he could have done that without a gone but that is besides the point. The slumbag boyfriend was recently arrested for being a child predator which is only gonna help Talibs case. Don’t be naive and think it won’t. Some jurors might even view this as a community service! Glad to here he’s impressing Schiano, hopefully he gets his stiff together and stays out of trouble.

10. kingbuccaneer says: Jun 14, 2012 1:20 PM

I’m not going to say Aqib is a great person or model citizen here in the Bay Area but when the “star” witness is a sexual deviant of the worst kind and was harassing his sister, which caused the incident, then Talib’s lawyers will inevitably win this case… As for a suspension from Warden Goodell, that’s a whole different story.

11. professorcolumbus says: Jun 14, 2012 1:27 PM

While Talib has proven to have a horrible temper (as evidenced by the cab incident, the fights with his own teammates at the rookie symposium and at training camp a couple of years back,) this charge has zero merit. Anyone who actually looks at the facts and circumstances in the case can see that he will almost certainly be exonerated. 19 witnesses claim Talib never held the gun. The only “witness” that claims he did was the multiple-time sex offender who was beating Talib’s sister, and running away at the time he claimed Talib was shooting (though all other witnesses say it was Talib’s mother.)

This doesn’t change the fact that Talib is a moronic dirtbag, but everything points to this being a case that won’t take much jury deliberation.

12. scubasteve4930 says: Jun 14, 2012 1:46 PM

talib is a beast on the field. He shuts down the best of them (minus megatron)

As long as hes there…our secondary can do some damage this year

13. bunjy96 says: Jun 14, 2012 1:59 PM

He will win the suit and Goodell can’t do anything.

14. pixelito says: Jun 14, 2012 2:01 PM

Talib should be forced to wear a hoodie in a neighborhood watched by George Zimmerman.

15. finbukake says: Jun 14, 2012 2:17 PM

Invite Talib to your next social event, he will be fine surely, don’t expect trouble and don’t call him a cab.

16. supersix231 says: Jun 14, 2012 3:48 PM

I am ashamed that he is on my team.. He should be let go – his mind isn’t in the game, and hasn’t been good for quite a while now.

17. deathtoromo says: Jun 14, 2012 5:01 PM

Does this guy give a daily press conference? Never heard so much out of an unknown college coach. Shut up already. Yer team sux.

18. arush40 says: Jun 14, 2012 5:15 PM

@pixelito
    Your a jerkoff. Never wish death upon anyone

19. pappyschmiel says: Jun 14, 2012 5:24 PM

I do not know that Goodell will be able to do anything in this case since this incident happened during the lockout. I wonder if the Bucs are banking on that too, assuming Talib is not convicted. Is there any precedent of Goodell acting on actions that happened during the lockout?

20. capitaloffense says: Jun 14, 2012 6:51 PM

Whether a person is convicted or not, Goodell can suspend him. The personal conduct rule does not coincide with federal/state law. A charge is not needed to enforce the personal conduct policy. Suspensions USUALLY don’t happen without a legal charge, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. Remember Roethlisberger.

21. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: Jun 15, 2012 12:51 AM

I’m a Bucs fan and hope he goes straight to jail. He’s a horrible human being and I’m ashamed to have a person like that on my team. I dont care how good he is.