Suggs downplays date, but insists he’ll play in 2012

2012 Cartoon Network Hall of Game Awards - Green Carpet Arrivals Getty Images

Baltimore outside linebacker Terrell Suggs insisted Thursday he was going to return to the field this season, even if it’s not in November.

“Maybe we were shooting too far,” he said of the predicted timetable for recovering from a torn Achilles.

He had surgery on May 8, and has since discarded his crutches in favor of a walking boot, and was feeling optimistic enough to declare himself “beasting,” this week.

However, he went onto say Thursday: “I’m not a doctor. I will be in a Baltimore Ravens uniform in 2012. The only question is when.”

Suggs also took a shot at the Arizona trainer who said he suffered the injury while playing basketball, a claim Suggs denies.

“That’s why you decided to be a gym director and not a doctor,” Suggs said.

At this point, the question of how he hurt himself is almost moot. The Ravens aren’t interested in recouping any of the money they owe him for a non-football injury, so the “how” he was injured isn’t nearly as important as the “when” he’ll be back.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Suggs downplays date, but insists he’ll play in 2012”
  1. ravenator says: Jun 14, 2012 4:53 PM

What a beast! Get healthy Suggs.

2. ihateravens says: Jun 14, 2012 4:55 PM

Suggs doesn’t want to return to watch a sorry 3rd rate quarterback lead his team. Hear he is taking Brady as his fantasy QB since he will have plenty of time to watch football this year.

Without Suggs the Browns will overtake the Ravens as the 3rd best team in the AFC North.

3. riggz91 says: Jun 14, 2012 4:57 PM

I ruptured my Achilles at 25 (2 yrs ago). I was in very good, obviously not his level. The tendon (which gets sewn together at the rupture) heals in about 3-4 months. The hardest part is you loose all the muscle in the calf. It takes forever to get the muscle back to even halfway normal. No way Suggs can get back within a year.

4. humbleminded85 says: Jun 14, 2012 5:40 PM

Between Ihateravens and Ravenator I don’t even remember the days of good objective comments without pure hate and bias towards the rival teams. You both (and many many more) should take a break for a while from posting until, I don’t know, maybe you grow up? Your hate over powers any and all merit you think you might have. I only say this as someone who enjoys good well thought comments and although everyone has the right to say whatever they want, its a shame that your only goal is to discount the rival team out of pure hate. Take riggz91 comments for example, that is great post as it actually has something to do with the story and not just a guy who wants to hate on another grown man because he happens to play for the rival team. Regardless if he ends up being right or wrong, he actually thought before typing. Go ahead and bash me for saying this, but after many posts I don’t think you all have the attention span of creating a worthy response. I encourage you all to grow up and think before you comment, but of course that won’t happen will it?

5. staph1nfection says: Jun 14, 2012 5:55 PM

“That’s why you decided to be a gym director and not a doctor,” Suggs said.

Hilarious.

6. emaimo80 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:02 PM

I was 100% with you until that comment about the browns. The browns are horrible! You must have forgotten that the steelers are in your division. Go dolphins, and Jags! Can’t even imagine living in Cleveland or being a brownie fan.

7. blackandyellow71 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:21 PM

As a die hard Steeler fan I despise Terrell Suggs, but I still realize he is a “beast”. I think he along with Ngata, have been the best players on the Ravens D for a couple of years now. I think his absence will be huge, and they could struggle without him. It seems like he’s being more rational about his return now but you have to fear he rushes to rejoin a team that is sorely missing him.

Also, great post Humbleminded, I am behind you 100% on that. I love PFT and am on it all multiple times a day, but anymore all the comments are is just fans hating on their rivals.

8. monsterofyourgirlsmidway says: Jun 14, 2012 6:23 PM

@humbleminded85.. Haha! that’s the truth, truth. These are the same idiots who get blacked out drunk at games and start fights with anyone wearing an opposing jersey. Don’t worry though, you’ll get a response from them in a day or two. That should be long enough for them to think of something intelligent to say!

9. stairwayto7 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:23 PM

Why would Suggs come back to a team with 4 wins in November?

10. cincyorangenblack says: Jun 14, 2012 6:24 PM

if he felt the need to lie about how/when he got hurt, then obviously someone WAS worried about them withholding pay.

Don’t make the Ravens seem like the most honorable FO in the league please. we are still talking about a team who employed 2 people directly involved in murder.

11. SteelyMcBeam6 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:25 PM

Ravens are to talented of a team to have one players absence affect that. The only one position that an injury can affect the fate of the team is the QB (see chicago from last year) Vegas has the ravens at or around 11 wins. That’s about where they will be barring anymore big time player injuries.

12. SteelyMcBeam6 says: Jun 14, 2012 6:25 PM

@humble “Between Ihateravens and Ravenator I don’t even remember the days of good objective comments without pure hate and bias towards the rival teams.”

Thank you! Bout time someone else said it.

13. londonbengal says: Jun 14, 2012 6:30 PM

True enough, Suggs is a beast.

That is for only 14 games though.

The other 2 games versus the Bengals, Andrew Whitworth owns Suggs a$$.

In the two games v Cincinnati Suggs is Whitworths b*tch……….. more like a wimpering puppy than a beast……..

14. blackandyellow71 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:04 PM

Thank you Londonbengal for show a perfect example to everybody.

15. worldfamouschris says: Jun 14, 2012 7:10 PM

Ravens fan here…it really gets old reading all the half wit comments going both ways…It’s pretty obvious both the Steelers and Ravens are both great teams, basically built in the same mold, strong defenses and good enough offense…Im honest enough to say I see Big Ben as a better QB than Flacco but I dont think either them are near the best at their positions…how about some respect for the fact that Suggs is stepping and showing an interest in getting back on the field rather than taking the cash and hitting the IR…I’m not a doctor so its too early to say if its the right move trying to comeback NFL athletes have the money to access a higher level of care than us normal people…It’s going to be an interesting season in the division the Ravens have always been consistent but we lost Grubbs and now Suggs, the Steelers the same but it seems like they could take a stepback if Ben and the new OC don’t mesh, the Bengals are surging and the Browns, um well who knows…

16. insanelomein2 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:19 PM

Im getting tired of reading all the ACL/MCL injuries vowing to be back by training camp/regular season.

This is how this will work:

June-July: “I will be back 100% this season”

August: “Its only training camp/preseason and I dont want to push it too much so I can be 100% when the regular season starts”

September: “Still have some soreness but my mobility is getting better and Im feeling stronger everyday”

Oct-November: “I am getting healthier by the day so I can help the team for the playoff push”

December: “We’re just going to shut it down for the rest of the season”

…..and that is that…..

17. randallflagg52 says: Jun 14, 2012 7:46 PM

londonbengal says:Jun 14, 2012 6:30 PM

True enough, Suggs is a beast.

That is for only 14 games though.

The other 2 games versus the Bengals, Andrew Whitworth owns Suggs a$$.

==================================

There is more to Suggs’ game than rushing the passer you know. I seem to remember Suggs making plays in the backfield against your RBs. He held your ground game in check. Also you can bet he was still getting pressure even if he wasn’t getting sacks.

18. donny1rodriguez says: Jun 15, 2012 3:16 AM

@humbleminded85 … All ravenator said was Suggs was a beast. How is calling the defensive player of the year a beast considered bias? Calm down bro. And obviously ihateravens is trolling calling flacco a 3rd rate QB.

19. scoonie97 says: Jun 15, 2012 9:01 AM

You need to be a doctor to determine if someone was playing basketball?

20. humbleminded85 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:04 AM

@donny1rodriguez I see your point but I wasn’t talking about that comment but actually his last 100+ comments. If you don’t instantly know that when seeing the name ravenator then my friend you don’t visit PFT as much as the rest of us. Trolls come in all fan base’s, so if you think I enjoy bashing a fellow Ravens fan than I’m sorry but I don’t but just felt like he needed to know that he can be a tool.

21. londonbengal says: Jun 17, 2012 11:21 AM

@ Randallflags52……

===========================

Relax man. Jus’ kiddin’

Suggs is a fine player, who I’d have on my team in a heartbeat. He’s fun to watch.

Suggs is the kind of player you’ll keep out 9 out of 10 plays, but on the tenth he’ll kill ya….

The league is a worse league without stellar players like Suggs lining up, but as a division rival, I’m glad he won’t be next year. Best compliment I can give him………