Eli “shocked” by loss of Ballard to Patriots

jim-rogashgetty-images Getty Images

When the Patriots claimed Giants tight end Jake Ballard on waivers earlier this week, plenty of Giants fans  cycled quickly through the five phases of grief and landed at a sixth:  indifference.

Coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning haven’t quite gotten there yet.

“Obviously, just shocked,” Manning said on ESPN’s SportsCenter this morning regarding his reaction to the news.

He said that Ballard “played a huge role” for the team’s offense, and that Eli believed Ballard “was going to be a big part of this offense” in the future, after recovering from a torn ACL suffered in the Super Bowl.

Manning said he understood how it all happened, with the Giants trying to slide a “non-vested” player through waivers so that he could be put on injured reserve (technically, it’s the reserve/PUP list, since the injury happened before he passed a physical in the current year).  And Manning characterized the Patriots’ submission of a waivers claim as “sweep[ing] in and stealing [Ballard] from us.”

That’s precisely what the Pats did.  Who knows?  Maybe the Pats will offer to trade him back to the Giants in 2013.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
65 Responses to “Eli “shocked” by loss of Ballard to Patriots”
  1. cali49er707 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:35 AM

sounds like it was a good ole fashion “UP YOURS” tactic!!!!

2. rc33 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:38 AM

Poor wittle Eli.

“First the Chargers wanted to draft me
    and I didn’t want to go. And now I wost my Tight End. What should I do now, Daddy?”

3. packhawk04 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:39 AM

Weird things happen when you dont put a guy in waivers… sometimes they stay on your team!

4. Grulks says: Jun 15, 2012 10:40 AM

Hey Eli/Coughlin, here’s a thought:
    Maybe if your owner wasn’t such a snake, and using underhanded tactics to punish NFL East rivals (instead of everyone), karma wouldn’t have bit you in the pooper.

5. sschmiggles says: Jun 15, 2012 10:41 AM

cry me a river you won the super bowl

6. bhindenemylines says: Jun 15, 2012 10:43 AM

Why is he shocked? The Pats do their home work. They got Danny Woodhead the same way from the Jets.

Trying to get cute like this never works.

And it sounds to me like the Giants were not taking the spirit of the rule into consideration. How much cap space do they lose now??? Trying to slip Ballard through definitely sounds like them trying to gain a competitive edge.

7. johnnyb216 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:43 AM

They must’ve been all out of flabbergasted.

8. rooneyruleblues says: Jun 15, 2012 10:44 AM

Who could blame him for wanting a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

When I see Archie on TV hanging on to his kids for dear life, basically writing the script for his kin to say, I cant help but wonder if he is the Sandusky type or not. I woulnt let my kids anywhere near the dude. Gives me the creeps.

9. SeenThisB4 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:46 AM

Someone answer this for me: Would not the Patriots have been the last team to get a shot at claiming Ballard off of waviers? Every other team would have passed on him for the Patriots to be able to claim him?

10. jnbnet says: Jun 15, 2012 10:49 AM

This is not the first time that a team has claimed a player who’s original team was trying to “slide” through waivers. Teams take a risk and sometimes it doesn’t pan out. Deal with it.

11. rpiotr01 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:49 AM

All this over a replaceable bit player? It’s not like they lost Cruz or Justin Tuck.

12. giantschamps says: Jun 15, 2012 10:49 AM

rc33 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:38 AM

Poor wittle Eli.

“First the Chargers wanted to draft me
    ____________________________________

Ahhhh poor wiittle someone must be jealous? Two SB MVPs and two Rings. No other QB can say that in the last five years. Maybe daddy will tell him to go win another Super Bowl or two.

13. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 15, 2012 10:50 AM

Maybe the Pats will offer to trade him back to the Giants in 2013.
    __________________________

Yea for the SB rings.

14. benh999 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:51 AM

What is the big deal? This happens during final cuts every year where teams waive guys they want to sign to their practice squad and they frequently get claimed by other teams. The Giants took a high-risk/low-reward approach with Ballard and got burned. So what?

He is a decent player with a potentially career-ending injury. They didn’t exactly lose a future Hall of Famer here.

15. 49erstim says: Jun 15, 2012 10:57 AM

In my opinion the comparison of Archie to Sandusky is out of bounds and in bad taste rooneyrulesblues.

They tried a tactic to sneak a good player through the system and it backfired. If they valued him so much they never should’ve attempted it. That is what happens when you gamble. I’m surprised that nobody else tried to snatch him up, injured or not.

And here we go with the “Eli is shocked” stuff. Lol

16. bostontim says: Jun 15, 2012 10:58 AM

“And Manning characterized the Patriots’ submission of a waivers claim as “sweep[ing] in and stealing [Ballard] from us.”

“That’s precisely what the Pats did.”

What’s with you Mike? The Pats didn’t steal him and there ARE no unwritten rules. Get over it.

Cheers, BostonTim

17. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 15, 2012 11:00 AM

“Eli is shocked”

Interesting choice of words considering Jeremy Shockey is on the market.

18. descendency says: Jun 15, 2012 11:03 AM

johnnyb216 says:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:43 AM
    They must’ve been all out of flabbergasted.

————————————–

They lost all of that when Tiki Barber left.

19. k0mbucha says: Jun 15, 2012 11:09 AM

SeenThisB4 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:46 AM

____________________________________

20. muir6 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:10 AM

I don’t know maybe Eli will drive his super bowl MVP car . Really bringing up the the draft u got nothin prob a pats fan Giants Own The Pats

21. heyguru1969 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:10 AM

It’s a brief insight into the Patriots Master Offensive Plan for returning to the Super Bowl:

1) Tom Brady
    2) Wes Welker if he’ll re-sign for the minimum number of dollars possible and still keep smiling and love you long time
    3) No running back required
    4) 237 Tight Ends

22. thrillomania says: Jun 15, 2012 11:22 AM

When did Jake Ballard become Mark Bavaro? Seriously, this guys getting a lot of press for an average receiving tight end who’s going to spend the whole year on IR.

23. fatfreddystubbs says: Jun 15, 2012 11:27 AM

Who could blame him for wanting a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

————————————————–

Not a fan of any of the Mannings, but comments like that are yet another example of why i’ll never be able to figure out exactly what the criteria is for what is and isn’t considered acceptable on this site.

24. nepaseahawk says: Jun 15, 2012 11:31 AM

It was simply a jerk move to get toms goat….and it worked to perfection. the pats have no need for ballard on their squad…they just grabbed bo scaife a little while ago plus the 2 studs they have already….it was simply because billy knew tommy was trying to work the system. Tom should have known

25. nygf says: Jun 15, 2012 11:35 AM

Not sure I get it either. Before they were paired with Eli, nobody had ever heard of Boss or Ballard. The TE’s role with the Giants is to catch about 35 balls for 550-600 yards and block most of the time. It hasn’t been a focal point since Shockey was good. It sucks we lost a good guy and a talented player who played his ass off, but the team will be fine.

Oh, and this is a transparent case of the media making this out to be more than it is. If it were any other team besides the Pats nobody would be talking about this anymore.

26. yankees177 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:40 AM

Who could blame him for wanting a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

———————————————–

He already had a HOF QB throwing him the ball. Eli has made some mediocre players look great by throwing them the ball. All Jerry Reese needs to do is plug the next guy in that has any type of hands and they wont skip a beat. Bennett and the gang are more than capable to continue it on. P.S. How has Shancoe looked since he left the giants? I couldnt tell you because I havent heard his name in years.

27. bluestree says: Jun 15, 2012 11:43 AM

Everybody in the league passed on Ballard because of the “unwritten rule”. Belichek thumbs his nose at the other teams after getting beat by the Giants. Within his rights, but a poor sport just the same.

28. east96st says: Jun 15, 2012 11:45 AM

Two words, four times;

1) Kevin Boss
    2) Steve Smith
    3) Mike Pope
    4) Jerry Reese

Anyone who knows the Giants, knows what I’m talking about. It’s a loss. Number one and two on my list were both considered far more significant losses. Number three and number four made sure NY was fine without one and two. Ballard won’t see the field at all this years and won’t be back to his original form for two years – if at all. Mike Pope will have Adrien Robinson ready to go. BTW, Robinson runs a 4.56 40 with a 39.5 vertical. Ballad runs a 4.84 40 with 31.5 vertical. I love Jake, he’s a warrior, but no one wanted him out OSU. He went undrafted. Pope made him a viable threat. What do you think Pope will do with Robinson’s freak athletic ability?

29. patriotsdefense says: Jun 15, 2012 11:47 AM

No Eli, the Patriots didn’t go all Seal Team 6 and swoop in during the night to abduct Ballard. The Giants waived him. Any player cut in the offseason with less than 4 years of service are subject to waivers. You cut him, even though there are 90 rosters spots.

Assuming 31 other competitors wouldn’t pick him up as a “favor” is bogus, especially when a players contract has the opportunity to get picked up. What the Giants were relying on is called “Collusion”. Not too mention the Giants broke many NFL rules in renegotiating his contract while he was still under contract. We all remeber Ballard’s tweet. Yeah that’s right NYG fans. Let’s all just turn the page and shut up.

30. hooks024 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:54 AM

Who cares. Ballard is a moron who everyone says it tough for trying to run with a knee injury. But he’s tough second, and a moron above all else. This was belichick being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, and he can kiss my danny woodhead. Tom coughlin owns him.

31. j0esixpack says: Jun 15, 2012 12:03 PM

You do have to wonder what the reaction was at Giants HQ when they realized their maneuver was foiled!

If the Patriots turned around and waived Ballard tomorrow, I can’t help but wonder if the 31 teams that were asleep at the switch last time (including the Giants) would let him pass by them on waivers to honor the “unspoken rule” that Eli and Jerry Reese have evoked so the Patriots can clear out a roster spot?

I doubt he’d make it back to the Patriots let alone the Giants if that happened again (then Giants fans could curse another team too!)

32. vaphinfan says: Jun 15, 2012 12:05 PM

SeenThisB4 says:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:46 AM

————————————————-

Theres just some things, like unwritten rules you don’t do as a coach to another coach.

33. tuckfanforlife says: Jun 15, 2012 12:05 PM

”Yes, the Patriots would have been the last team that Ballard would have needed to clear since every team had already passed on him before the Giants would be able to sign him back to their reserve list.

Karma a mother huh Mara, trying have a competitive advantage came back to bite you in the butt.”

1. kraft was in on cap gate.

2. kraft is the biggest cheater out there, spygate!

34. CKL says: Jun 15, 2012 12:09 PM

Hey wait a minute, none of us Pats fans whined when the NYG signed OUR TEAM’S FA CB Molden earlier this year. Same deal. No up yours either way, just a football move.

35. paperlions says: Jun 15, 2012 12:10 PM

Jeez, would people stop acting like the Patriots did something underhanded here. hate the Pats, defending them hurts, but they did nothing wrong. The Giants screwed up by making a player they wanted to keep available….seriously, 90 roster spots wasn’t enough? There are probably 30 other guys they would rather have lost…but they couldn’t be bothered to waive one of them to keep Ballard around until he could go on the PUP or IR?

Smart football teams add talent any time they can. It is football. Guys get hurt. Depth is important. The Giants did something stupid and paid for it. The Patriots did something smart, not something devious or under-handed. End of story.

36. rc33 says: Jun 15, 2012 12:14 PM

Amazing how invaluable this guy became the moment the Giants lost him. Now by every possible indication he’s a bum.
    Funny, he’s 24 years old and had 38 catches for 15.9(!) YPC.
    I actually believed he did some good things last year (I suspect Eli did too) but apparently we were wrong.

37. torturedraiderfan says: Jun 15, 2012 12:21 PM

I guess the Pats wanted to beat the Giants at something since they can’t do it in the Super Bowl. Too bad Ballard doesn’t come with a trophy.

38. patriotsdefense says: Jun 15, 2012 12:26 PM

Excuse me, enough of these Giants fans talking about karma. Where was karma when the Giants defensives players faked injuries last season to sub players in without a timeout?

Enough.

39. teddybayer123 says: Jun 15, 2012 12:26 PM

rooneyruleblues says:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:44 AM
    Who could blame him for wanting a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

And you,pal, GIVE ME THE CREEPS. No one but you thinks this.

I’m not an Archie, Elie or Payton fan, BUT SANDUSKY? I can’t believe they let you have kids!

40. cdgiantwinners says: Jun 15, 2012 12:46 PM

Pats get the TE, Giants get the Superbowl. Fair Trade.

Hey, somewhere in Boston there is a 7 year old kid walking around wondering if the Patriots will ever win a championship in his lifetime.

41. 6ball says: Jun 15, 2012 12:46 PM

Belichick has a history of trying to acquire players who haved performed well against the Patriots. Wes Welker would be the prime example of that .

I am not sure of Ballards stats when the Giants and Patriots played last regular season , but I remember the guy making big plays in big spots .

Additionally , having both Gronkowski and Hernandez on your roster only means you’re two plays away from having no tight ends.

42. mullman7675 says: Jun 15, 2012 12:56 PM

William is a small, petty little man. A move based purely on spite. Enjoy chowds.

43. cardiffgiant11 says: Jun 15, 2012 12:59 PM

Other have already said it but the Pats obviously saw something in him, low risk high reward type scenario. If the Giants didn’t want to risk losing him they shouldn’t have tried to have their cake and eat it too by putting him on the waiver wire.

They need to grow up and move on.

44. ncsteeler says: Jun 15, 2012 12:59 PM

The Giants (and most other good teams) have about 45 guys competing for maybe 8 roster spots. If Ballard was so important to their future, would it have been such a hardship to have only 44? I’m sure most Giant fans can give a pretty good guess on most of the NYG’s opening day roster. You think maybe TC has a little better idea who has legit shot at winning a slot and who is just training camp fodder and couldn’t have cut one of the latter to save Ballard? So he waived Ballard to keep his 20th OL or whomever?

45. bosspower says: Jun 15, 2012 1:00 PM

The Patriots was salty about Eli taking Brady and Giselle out back to the woodshed, and giving them the business. Twice. No 3 times. Good move BB, but we drafted Ballard successor already. Ballard thanks for your hardwork and U are now my favorite Pats player. Hope U make an impact over there. Just remeber pats fans The Giants will be claiming Hernandez or Welker or whoever make it to waiver. We can beat U in offseason just as good as we do in Superbowls.

46. bosspower says: Jun 15, 2012 1:13 PM

Listen why are clowns still talking about San diego when the Superbowl MVP’s article comes up. How many chips has the chargers won since Eli came in league? 0. Archie did not want Eli riding the bench for Drew Brees. Archie also didnt want Andrew Luck riding the bench for Peyton. The chargers could have had Vick but traded him for Ladainian, They had Drew Brees, so y u moron fans still crying over Eli for? Oh those 2 Sb MVP’s keep the charger faithful in tears? Lol. Tell Phillip Rivers to step up his game and stop losing the Division to Tim Tebow!!! Well he’s gonna lose it to Peyton Manning, who will remind U of wat u missed wit Eli.

47. voxnovo says: Jun 15, 2012 1:24 PM

Seems to me Jerry Reese DID make a mistake here. Even so, I’m one of those Giant fans who has arrived at a point pretty close to Florio’s “sixth stage”.

Why? Because Reese not only doesn’t mess up like this often, he routinely finds oodles of talented players others in the NFL have overlooked.

Take that as another way of saying one can be confident the GM who unearthed the first Jake Ballard will somehow find another one, and other talents along with him.

And the G-Men will go on winning.

As for Bill Belichick, guerilla raids are a poor substitute for legitimately — i.e., without Spygate — won rings. Belichick is still seeking his first taint-free championship as a head coach.

48. j0esixpack says: Jun 15, 2012 1:32 PM

voxnovo says:

———————————

I love a paranoid conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but the rule that Belichick broke was put on the books via a memo from Goodell in 2006.

The Patriots Super Bowls came before that.

It’s amazing but it still seems like some fans are not aware that teams are allowed to film games and signal calling.

They’re just not allowed to do so from the sidelines since 2006.

49. patriotera says: Jun 15, 2012 1:34 PM

How many playoff games have the Giants been in btween SuperBowls? Ballard must be thrilled to get of that roller coaster ride.

50. darthhitman77 says: Jun 15, 2012 1:40 PM

Not a fan of either team but respect them both. Having said that, unwritten rule or not does it matter? Since when do we pay attention to unwritten laws? OH YEAH, when we pay our income taxes…CARRY ON.

51. nolasoxfan2012 says: Jun 15, 2012 1:52 PM

I’m not sure I get all the angry posts or those saying the Pats have too many tight ends. Hernandez is more of an H-back than an in-line TE. He and Gronk aren’t inter-changeable. Gronk was the only true TE on their roster last year. Did anyone else notice how big a problem it was in the Super Bowl when Gronk could only go half speed? The Pats probably win that game if they had another in-line TE who could catch. Ballard will fit in nicely as that back-up. Seems like a nice pick-up for 2013.

52. inthearex says: Jun 15, 2012 2:10 PM

53. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 15, 2012 2:14 PM

@patriotera

Tell me, what were the Pats doing before ex Giants players and coaches came to NE? Seems to me the Pats owe the Giants for the resurgence, becuase before Parcells and BB, the Pats were a perennial loser. Sure you had the fluke season in 85, and got spanked by the Bears. But before then the Patriots were a laughingstock franchise. Dont act like the Pats have been excellent forever, and dont think once Brady and BB hang it up the Pats wont go right back to mediocrity..

54. voxnovo says: Jun 15, 2012 2:27 PM

j0esixpack says:

The Patriots Super Bowls came before that.

=================================

Is that another way of saying the Patriots’ three Super Bowl wins benefitted from a practice so sleazy the NFL has since seen fit to prohibit it?

That’s a DEFENSE? Is that supposed to mean Belichick’s three rings as New England’s HC aren’t tainted?

55. chazzmon says: Jun 15, 2012 2:29 PM

Wonder if Belichick asked Boss to bring his play book?

56. patriotera says: Jun 15, 2012 3:11 PM

Kingcarlbanks – Robert Kraft is the one who saved and turned the Patriots around. Was Drew Bledsoe a Giant? Parcells didn’t want him, but Kraft did. What did Parcells do for the Cowboys or the Fins???? Your arguement holds no water.

57. davekva72 says: Jun 15, 2012 3:23 PM

It was definetely an a-hole move by belichick, but since he did it to the giants, all I can do is point and give a Nelson from the Simpsons “Ha-Ha!” Hilarious!

58. backindasaddle says: Jun 15, 2012 9:21 PM

“Eli “shocked” by loss of Ballard to Patriots”
    ———————————————————-

Eli should just shut up and thank the lord every day he was part of The Lucky Sperm Club. Goober would be splashing around in the Louisiana swamps hunting frogs for dinner if it weren’t for football.

59. 11jlacy says: Jun 15, 2012 10:23 PM

U have to expect the unexpected these days eli

60. insider7 says: Jun 16, 2012 9:03 AM

So maybe every other team in the league was willing to give the Giants a break and pass on Ballard. But the Patriots weren’t willing to give them a break and claimed him.

It exposed a monumental miscalculation by the Giants organization and due diligence by the Patriots organization. That is essentially the story here.

61. yourmindismytoilet says: Jun 16, 2012 9:02 PM

inthearex says: Jun 15, 2012 2:10 PM

“If you can’t beat em join em right new England? New York, dominating your sports teams for over a century.”

Yeah, look at all the titles the Knicks, Jets, Rangers, Mets, and Islanders have won! Pure domination!

62. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 16, 2012 11:00 PM

@patriotera

Check the rest of the roster big guy, Parcells brought quite a few ex Giants with him, like Pepper Johnson and Dave Meggett. And do you honestly believe all the Pats sucess comes from Kraft? Please BB took you to the promised land, BB the coach who was raised in the Giants system. So from the Meadowlands to Foxboro, you’re welcome. But i guess this just another case of Boston area sports team coming up short when facing New York teams. But hey, you guys will always have the Celtics…

63. patriotera says: Jun 17, 2012 12:16 AM

BB worked for the Colts, Lions, and Broncos before the Giants so I guess by your logic you should thank those teams. It is Kraft’s vision and philosophy that made the Pats special. Remember Tuna didn’t get along with that part of it?? the whole buy the groceries comments? BB failed with Cleveland why didn’t his giant magic work there????????Tuna and those giant players got us a Superbowl lose by the way.

64. lanman11 says: Jun 18, 2012 4:56 PM

@Kingcarlbanks

Bill Parcells was a linebackers coach for the Patriots before he ever thought about working for the Giants. Having grown up in the NY/NJ area in the 60′s and 70′s I can tell you the Giants were an incredibly boring and inept franchise. Their claim to fame was having won some games in the decades prior to television contracts before I was born. There was a quarter of a century between big games for the Giants. So let’s not get carried away about their recent success, which is essentially really just BARELY making the playoffs and then getting healthy at the right time, getting hot at the right time, and benefiting from timely injuries to other teams players. They are/can be (when they are not bickering among themselves) a good team. However they have NOT been dominating the league by any stretch of the imagination. 95-81 over the last 10 years in the regular season. I would not call that more than average. They did however make the most out of the opportunities they had, when they actually had them.

In contrast, the Patriots are 134-42 in the regular season and have also made good on most of their opportunities over that period, having lost two narrow decisions to the Giants, who match up well with passing teams like the Patriots, but also having won three other Super Bowls, and narrowly missed out on another (the Indy/Chicago Superbowl). They simply have had more opportunities than anyone else, and apparently you can’t win them all. Their sustained excellence is really remarkable though, and I think they are setting themselves up for another great season.

65. harlemdom says: Jun 18, 2012 7:16 PM

Eli will be shocked at how fast the Eagles D-line will be geting through the turnstiles he has in front of him.