Fred Biletnikoff says he’ll never get closure after daughter’s murder

biletnikoff Getty Images

Pro Football Hall of Famer Fred Biletnikoff spoke today at the sentencing for the man who murdered his daughter 13 years ago, calling convicted killer Mohammed Haroon Ali an “animal.”

There will never be any closure for me,” Biletnikoff said in court, according to the San Mateo County Times. “My hatred for Ali will never go away.”

A judge sentenced Ali, who at the time of the killing was already on probation for kidnapping and beating a previous girlfriend, to 55 years to life in prison.

Ali admitted that he strangled Tracey Biletnikoff, whom he began dating after they met in a drug treatment center.

“I don’t know why I did this and maybe I will never know,” Ali said. “I would trade my life to bring Tracey back.”

After his daughter’s death, Fred Biletnikoff started the Tracey Biletnikoff Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting young women recovering from substance abuse and providing education for the prevention of domestic violence.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Fred Biletnikoff says he’ll never get closure after daughter’s murder”
  1. txtuff says: Jun 15, 2012 7:08 PM

I hope Texas never gets rid of the death penalty! It is made for guys like this!

2. raiderrob21 says: Jun 15, 2012 7:40 PM

I remember the day like it was yesterday. Such a beautiful girl she was too. Its a damn shame what happened. Id feel the same way Freddie. Peace be with you and Tracey. The Raider Nation is with you brotha!

3. mjay424 says: Jun 15, 2012 8:23 PM

I just hope there aren’t people who will write a post who tell Biletnikoff to get over it. Forgive, yes, but even then, losing a child in any way, especially at the hands of another, is devastating.

I have two daughters myself and I’ve seen them mistreated. If someone battered or killed them I would be praying for strength not to act in my animal brain and kill that person and end up in prison.

I feel Freddy B. and anyone who has had their child savagely hurt in any way.

4. mhohmann says: Jun 15, 2012 8:29 PM

Where’s Sharpton on this one? Probably more concerned about the black juror…

5. backindasaddle says: Jun 15, 2012 8:40 PM

“This was the second time Ali was sentenced for the February 15, 1999 killing of Tracey Biletnikoff. Ali’s previous conviction was overturned on appeal on the grounds that the prosecutor dismissed a black member of the jury pool for racial reasons.”
    ——————————————————————————————–

So the legal system put him back out on the street where he could have murdered somebody else…. even though he confessed and everybody knew 100% he was a murderer. This is what happens with liberal judges that are accountable absolutely nobody. The appeal should have been rejected point blank and guy the should have received his justice immediately. Manipulation and perversion of our legal system to protect KNOWN PROVEN criminals is disgusting. Judges that allow it need to be held accountable.

6. paulieorkid says: Jun 15, 2012 8:57 PM

To txtuff,

I totally agree with your statement!

Some states went soft on hardcore criminals. Before my time, but I do know a thing or two about history. Charles Manson was (deservedly) convicted to receive the death penalty in the early 70’s — but California rescinded the death penalty after that, resulting in Manson getting 3 squares and a cot at enormous taxpayer expense. Counting all his paroll hearings and everything associated, must have cost us $5-7 million to keep that worthless piece of trash on earth.

7. lookthisisntthatcomplicated says: Jun 15, 2012 9:07 PM

txtuff says:
    Jun 15, 2012 7:08 PM

————————————————

yeah, let’s kill him to show everyone else that killing is wrong! that’ll teach ‘em!

8. toolnutz says: Jun 15, 2012 9:09 PM

There is no joy to the Raidernation from this news. A member of the Raider family is gone forever.

9. jiggy3198 says: Jun 15, 2012 9:12 PM

How do you overturn a conviction after the man admits to killing the victim

10. davidcl77 says: Jun 15, 2012 9:19 PM

So sorry this happened.

11. Deb says: Jun 15, 2012 9:48 PM

Had never heard about this case, and although it occurred years ago, my deepest condolences to Fred Biletnikoff and his family. I’m a strong believer in protecting the rights of the accused to ensure the innocent aren’t wrongly convicted. But when a guy commits a murder while on probation for kidnapping and assaulting another woman and he confesses to the crime, how do you justify overturning the verdict on a random technicality? How horrific to put the victim’s family through a second, trial, and what an absurd waste of taxpayer money.

@txtuff, this guy didn’t get the death penalty. Let’s just hope 55 to life means he’ll never see another day of freedom.

12. radrntn says: Jun 15, 2012 10:00 PM

“I dont know why I did this” wtf dude…..maybe because you are one sick puppy that needs to remain behind bars….

13. pnthrz1 says: Jun 15, 2012 10:19 PM

My heart goes out for one of the greatest WRs of all time. Peace be with you.

14. sportsmeccabi says: Jun 15, 2012 11:05 PM

55 years?
    If I were ever faced with that, I would just ask for the needle right there. That kind of sentenced essentially means you want the dude dead anyway.

15. oilman989 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:12 PM

Good for you, Mr. Biletnikoff! You have this country’s undying support of your continued hatred for the man who committed the senseless killing of your daughter.

Having to confront your daughter’s killer a second time for sentencing should never have to happen. Unfortunately, you reside in CA; one of (if not THE most) bleeding heart states in the union.

R.I.P. Tracey Biletnikoff

16. okldrdrs2111 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:33 PM

txtuff says: Jun 15, 2012 7:08 PM

_____________________________________

I second that!

17. jfinn5 says: Jun 16, 2012 12:54 AM

So sad, this awful situation happened behind the junior college baseball field I played at. I send my condolences to Belintikof and the Raider Nation.

18. steviemo says: Jun 16, 2012 10:40 AM

Fred is one of my five favorite NFL players of all-time and my heart goes out to him and his family. It just hurts to read about such senseless deaths and the effect they have on the victim’s families, which never goes away.

19. tonyromoisterrible says: Jun 17, 2012 9:08 AM

Hopefully a raider fanatic finds this guy quivering in his cell and introduces him to his big bubba.

20. ljmick says: Jun 18, 2012 2:04 PM

Knee jerk reaction to this is to blame “liberal judges”. I don’t agree the Death Penalty really would have solved anything, the guy beat and kidnapped a previous girlfriend he wouldn’t have been sentenced to death for that in any US state and eventually given space limitations in US prisons the guy would have been released. In my opinion the real problem is the courts don’t take seriously violent behavior, in particular violence to women. I think it’s clear this guy should have been warehoused somewhere and closely monitored and not allowed out. Electing judges will just lead to more people going “tough on crime” which is essentially fear mongering and throwing poor people in prison for drug offences. Violence should be take seriously and society needs to send a strong message it won’t be tolerated.

21. frankslam6 says: Aug 9, 2014 12:42 AM

Fred, sorry for your loss. I have been a fan of yours and the Raiders since 1977 my dad passed away and we stayed a week visiting my grandparents in Albequerqe N.M. you were at a car dealership promoting them, my uncle took myself and my two other brothers to meet you. I knew who you were but what most impressed me is that you took the time to visit with us and spend time with us. I truly appreciate what you have given to the game and your professionalism on and off the field. I live in Colorado and on my bucket list is to see a Raiders game in Oakland. Your Fan for life Frank