Patriots sign third-round pick Jake Bequette

New England Patriots Minicamp Getty Images

The Patriots wrapped up minicamp without practicing on Thursday, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t working.

Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald reports that the team has signed defensive end Jake Bequette. Bequette was the 90th overall pick out of Arkansas in April and was one of many players that the Patriots took in order to shore up their front seven this season.

Bequette played both defensive end and outside linebacker during college and the Patriots’ use of multiple fronts means that he could do the same in the NFL. He’s big enough to play the end in 3-4 looks and his 10 sacks last season for Arkansas speak to his ability to rush the passer off the edge. First-round pick Chandler Jones is expected to get a look in those spots as well, but Bequette should have plenty of chances to earn playing time when the Patriots reconvene for training camp next month.

Bequette won’t be able to brush up on his playbook in hopes of boosting his chances during the time off. Bill Belichick said Thursday that the team won’t be sending their players home with playbooks because they will be modifying them right up until the start of camp. The existence of Twitter may have also played a little bit of a role in that decision.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Patriots sign third-round pick Jake Bequette”
  1. j0esixpack says: Jun 15, 2012 10:15 AM

2. jnbnet says: Jun 15, 2012 10:34 AM

The Patriots have an awesome offense and a much improved D (at least on paper) They could be as good or even better than last year.

3. patsandwannabees says: Jun 15, 2012 10:37 AM

j0esixpack says:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:15 AM
    “Well of course he has to modify the playbook – what with Ochocinco taking all his intel to South Beach and all.”

_________________________________

If Ochocinco is telling the Dolphins what he knows about the Pats playbook, I’d leave the playbook just the way it is!
    They’re gonna have all the plays wrong :)

4. thebigcaptain2011 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:22 AM

When I saw the Patriots signed another player I thought it would be another tight end. How many titles will signing all of these tight ends bring you little Bill? I know the rule, written or unwritten, mean nothing to you but you may want to invest in a better secondary sonner or later….

5. monosylab1k says: Jun 15, 2012 11:27 AM

As a Tennessee fan I’ve seen plenty of Bequette the last couple of years, and I’m really hoping he succeeds; always was impressed with his motor and pass rush at Arkansas. If he hadn’t been hurt part of last year (including the LSU game), more people would know about him…

6. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Jun 15, 2012 11:29 AM

If he doesn’t learn the playbook, tedy bruschi will be there to make sure of it.

7. CKL says: Jun 15, 2012 12:12 PM

thebigcaptain2011 says:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:22 AM
    _______________________________
    SOMEONE, not naming names, clearly has no idea who the Pats started at CB in their last SB win. Hint: Ty Law wasn’t there. Rodney did make up for a lot, but I’d still take one safety like him and 3 JAGS in the secondary with that 2004 front 7 & subs.

8. 6ball says: Jun 15, 2012 1:01 PM

Re : modifying the playbook .

The Patriots have two highly drafted, but unproven RB’s to go with the two fullbacks they uncharacteristicly signed in free agency . Add in the return of josh McDaniels , and one is hard pressed to figure out the Patriots game plans.

9. thebigcaptain2011 says: Jun 15, 2012 1:09 PM

CKL says:
    Jun 15, 2012 12:12 PM
    __________________________________
    I’m not sure what you mean, but I know for a fact Asante Samuel was the best corner on that team. That was the last good corner the Pats have had since and their safties are a borderline joke. If you couldn’t tell I’m a Giants fan and I spit on your cheating franchise. Keep signing tight ends because that will definetly stop Eli from driving down the field in the last minute against you for the 4TH TIME.

10. patsfiend says: Jun 15, 2012 2:27 PM

thebigcaptain2011 says:
    Jun 15, 2012 1:09 PM
    … If you couldn’t tell I’m a Giants fan and I spit on your cheating franchise. Keep signing tight ends because that will definetly stop Eli from driving down the field in the last minute against you for the 4TH TIME.
    ———-
    If you are a Giants fan, and not concerned about the Pats, then why are you reading and commenting on this post, which has nothing to do with your team?

You “spit” on our franchise? Would that be the way your all-time hero LT spits on his hookers before he throws money at them, or different?

11. patsfannamedratajek says: Jun 15, 2012 8:14 PM

You gotta love this guy. Hard worker, who will be starting in 2 years!

12. backindasaddle says: Jun 15, 2012 9:31 PM

@’thebigcaptain2011′

Funny…. and I always thought the Giants had classy fans. Looks like some low-rent Jets DNA somehow cross-pollinated over to the Giants.

13. aljack88 says: Jun 15, 2012 11:44 PM

backindasaddle says:
    Jun 15, 2012 9:31 PM
    @’thebigcaptain2011′

—————————————————————-
    I know what you mean. Also, the same classy fans who wanted Coughlin thrown out of New York after 4 games back in 07. If the Giants finish 9-7 again and don’t make the playoffs, their fans and the NY press will be screaming for his hide again.