Brady wishes Gisele hadn’t thrown Welker under the bus

Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen arrive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Benefit in New York Reuters

A kerfuffle arose after the Super Bowl when Tom Brady’s supermodel wife, Gisele Bundchen, blamed the Patriots’ loss on dropped passes. Brady says he had to give his wife a talking-to about that.

During the same Bob Costas-moderated panel discussion at which Brady weighed in on a more pressing issue facing the NFL, Brady related how his conversation with Bundchen went after the game.

“Just before she goes to bed, she says, ‘Yeah, people were following me and I just said something I shouldn’t have said,’” Brady said, via Tom Curran of CSNNE.com.

Not knowing what she was referring to and being more worried about the fact that his team had just lost the Super Bowl, Brady says he answered, “I don’t care really what you said. Just go to bed.”

It wasn’t until the next day that Brady saw the news that Bundchen had said, “My husband cannot f–king throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can’t believe they dropped the ball so many times.” That was widely viewed as ripping Wes Welker for the pass he failed to catch in the fourth quarter, and Brady wasn’t happy about that.

“I woke up the next morning, I tapped her on the shoulder [and asked], ‘Why did you say that?’ She was talking about the best player on our team, Wes Welker,” Brady said.

“You just sit up and you think and nobody quite understands — your wife and your parents or best friends — they just don’t quite understand how you’re feeling,” Brady said.

And Brady wasn’t feeling in the mood to hear his wife’s critiques of his teammates.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “Brady wishes Gisele hadn’t thrown Welker under the bus”
  1. lks311 says: Jun 16, 2012 2:16 PM

Not even a Pats fan—but, this is why I love Brady.

2. granadafan says: Jun 16, 2012 2:23 PM

Welker gets to spend one night with her. Fairs fair.

3. thenewenglandpatriots12 says: Jun 16, 2012 2:26 PM

I respect you Tom.

4. pattunya says: Jun 16, 2012 2:26 PM

Then she took her clothes off and he said “I was only kidding.”

5. Soulman45 says: Jun 16, 2012 2:33 PM

It got to hell being Brady but live with it you are doing a great job.

6. valentino8100 says: Jun 16, 2012 2:40 PM

I’ve been a Patriots fan for over 25 years. Let me be the first to say that Tom Brady is a great quarterback who, in my opinion, still posseses the same physical skills he did when he won his first Super Bowl years ago. Let me also say, he hasn’t been as good a quarterback either since he got married. As a person, I’m glad for him he’s found love. As a football player, he’s yet to prove he can still be a champion post the Giselle/GQ/philanthropic/ugly hair-cut error.

7. siaaa says: Jun 16, 2012 2:46 PM

you cant be a true football fan and not respect this guy. he was devestated after the loss while his buddies were out dancing the night away and getting drunk. this is what seperates him from the rest and makes him want to constantly improve as a player. hard to imagine a guy with 3 rings wanting to get better. even as a life long Charger fan, Ive always enjoyed watching this guy play. He’s a tremendous talent. I hope he stays around for a long time, even if it means beating the chargers every time they play.

8. xxwhodatxx says: Jun 16, 2012 2:56 PM

Brady is a stand up guy. All the hate aimed at him is a thinly veiled attempt at hiding jelousy.

9. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jun 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Major MAJOR props to Brady for straightening his wife out.

Very VERY classy.

I recall a few years ago when then-Seahawk HC Jim Mora, Jr. just hammered away mercilessly at his placekicker to the media. It was singularly placing blame on his own kicker time and time again. That is the polar opposite of classy. Not a very noble for little Mora.

Again, huge huge credit to Brady – and this is not from a Pats fan, but many of us are fans of true class, and Brady has it.

10. steviemo says: Jun 16, 2012 3:07 PM

I hope he gave her a good spanking.

11. istallion says: Jun 16, 2012 3:16 PM

Gman fan who loves Brady.

12. bsizemore68 says: Jun 16, 2012 3:35 PM

My take is he should stand up for his wife 100%, then every one should get off of Welker back, no one hurts more then does. Bill p.s. the wife is more importance then the foot ball team. Family comes first.

13. bamboozle99 says: Jun 16, 2012 3:44 PM

And tonight, in the dog-house, Brady is going to wish he had not said this about Gisele.

14. jetsflyinghigh says: Jun 16, 2012 4:17 PM

as a jets fan, i hate the patriots. you can’t help but respect and almost even like brady, though. stand up guy.

15. irishnativeson says: Jun 16, 2012 4:19 PM

Everyone seems to forget that Brady is and was the exception to the unwritten rule. He slide into Bledsoe’s gig and he wasn’t even the best QB on his team. Sure, he’s played way over his head and he’s gotten all the credit for that but he’s not a God.

16. CKL says: Jun 16, 2012 4:30 PM

bsizemore68 says:
    Jun 16, 2012 3:35 PM
    _____________________________
    Family comes first even when they do & say the wrong things? Not in my book. I’m happy that the QB of my team feels it’s better to stick up for the person/people his wife wronged than for his wife who WAS wrong.

17. effedinLA says: Jun 16, 2012 4:33 PM

“Brady said that until you’ve been there, you don’t realize what it feels like to lose the Super Bowl.”
    TWICE to Eli Manning!

18. dobreshunka says: Jun 16, 2012 4:36 PM

Maybe she shouldnt have said it publicly, but she was absolutely right. He has to make that catch and it cost them the game.

19. upyoursnfu says: Jun 16, 2012 4:54 PM

Brady, just give her the OJ treatment if she continues to step out of line

20. j0esixpack says: Jun 16, 2012 5:10 PM

She shouldn’t have said it – but she was right.

There were a bunch of key dropped passes in the game. The entire Patriots team knows that Brady doesn’t do it alone.

That being said, the pass to Welker was very difficult to catch. Sure, 9 times out of ten he makes that catch – but that time he failed to wrangle in a poorly thrown pass.

Brady owns that and he knows it.

21. millerhour says: Jun 16, 2012 5:12 PM

Brady is one of my favorite players.

22. mazenblue says: Jun 16, 2012 5:12 PM

Go Blue!!!

23. yogikenobi says: Jun 16, 2012 5:13 PM

Even Tom is blaming Welker. She could have been talking about any number of players.

24. arlingtonassasin says: Jun 16, 2012 5:27 PM

Brady left his knocked up girlfriend for Gisele. Yup, really classy.

25. sweetzinger says: Jun 16, 2012 5:29 PM

He should have said:

“That pass was my fault. It was a sultry 15 yards, I had no pressure in the pocket, the throwing lane was open and the receiver was wide open. I should have hit him in the numbers. It was my fault.”

Getting it close isn’t good enough Tammy-boy. You’re the most overrated player in the history of the NFL.

How about that safety in the end zone because of Intentional Grounding? That’s a high schoool qb mistake.
    How about Gronk having a step-and-a-half on a LB 40 yards downfield and you underthrew him?
    And that was a beauty pass to Welker. Step up and take the blame Tammy.

26. wakiash says: Jun 16, 2012 5:39 PM

He married it. Maybe just once he might try substance over beauty. Moron!

27. pnthrz1 says: Jun 16, 2012 6:35 PM

Tom is soooo P.C. you should have said this earlier, b4 you had to clear this statement with your super model hot wife. However, what do I know, I probably would do the same considering the attributes and talents of the +1.

28. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 16, 2012 6:39 PM

Tom Brady is cool, his wife has a nice body but I dont see supermodel when I see her face though…

29. sdffa11 says: Jun 16, 2012 7:01 PM

sweetzinger says:
    Jun 16, 2012 5:29 PM
    He should have said:

And that was a beauty pass to Welker. Step up and take the blame Tammy.

SOUNDS LIKE A BITTER JETS FAN LASHING OUT.

30. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Jun 16, 2012 8:03 PM

Well, she already looks like she got hit by a bus.

Ugliest ‘supermodel’ ever.

31. jimjets says: Jun 16, 2012 8:08 PM

can tom and giselle just do us all a favor and f’in die….or at least go away?

32. pftusername1 says: Jun 16, 2012 9:00 PM

imjets says:

can tom and giselle just do us all a favor and f’in die….or at least go away?

why not take your own advice and stop clicking links that upset you? btw, if brady where to ‘f ‘in die’ your jets would still be a team of losers and loud mouths just like their fans. good day-

33. keeppounding says: Jun 16, 2012 9:33 PM

Not so easy to win the super bowl when you don’t have film of the teams practice that week is it Tom?

34. ctdlc85 says: Jun 16, 2012 9:45 PM

I’m a hardcore New York Jets fan, I think Sanchez us going to be a good QB, I know that Tom Brady hates my team, I hate his team, and the only things that wouldmake me happier than beating the Patriots are winning the Super Bowl and beating the Patriots in the playoffs, but u try to be fair and I tell it like it is. Tom Brady was absolutely right to talk to his wife about what she said, not only because she shouldn’t meddle in his business, but because no player (or player’s relative) should ever speak badly about a teammate in public, especially about a play where the effort was there but the results weren’t. You look out for teammates. I respect Craft for what he did, and I believe that qualities like that are what make him the great teammate and great player that he is. I’m sure his wife was just speaking in the heat of the moment and that her comments don’t reflect what she truly feels about a man who is largely responsible for her husband’s success, but she was out of line.

Like I said, I try to be fair, which is more, it seems, than many Patriot fans can say when discussing the Jets.

35. tonyromoisterrible says: Jun 16, 2012 9:51 PM

Does Brady feel cheated that bellisuck had to cheat to win 3 super bowls?

36. benchwarmer69 says: Jun 16, 2012 11:59 PM

It would be funny if she “cheats” on Brady…

37. breezy51 says: Jun 17, 2012 12:19 PM

I agree with Tom’s wife! They are great players who choked when it counted! Tom needs to get out of denial! It could be worse. At least they were not the Packers!

38. bosspower says: Jun 17, 2012 1:44 PM

Im a Giant fan and I have nothing but high praise for Brady, he is a QB who could play in any era, he does wat he needs to do to win, he’ll hand off to Dillion, Throw to Moss, and then to Welker and Gronk. He is a winner and I would be proud to have a Brady as my QB. As a Giant fan I want to beat him bcuz to be the man U have to beat the Man and everybody knows Tom Brady is the man!!! So Eli is on his way to having a Brady like Career and I can live with that.