Pacman Jones on his past: “I was pathetic”

Pacman Jones Pic AP

Bengals cornerback Pacman Jones‘ appointment as speaker at the NFL’s annual rookie symposium probably drew a few eyerolls from cynics who have every right to be cynical about Jones, considering his long history of transgressions.

But the notion that Jones has turned over a new leaf isn’t a ruse. Bengals rookie cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick says Jones has already taken steps to steer him in the right direction.

“I haven’t had anything negative from him,” Kirkpatrick told the team’s website. “He doesn’t want to see me following in his footsteps. Just being around the wrong people. Surrounding myself with not a lot of positive people. Those are the things that he’s been trying to tell me.”

Jones is blunt when you ask him about his past.

I was pathetic,” Jones said. “I had no respect for the money I got. I had respect for football. [But] I acted like I was still hanging out in college. I didn’t realize the scrutiny that came with it.”

Jones says a “big part” of his “message” at the rookie symposium will involve informing young players to stay away from problematic characters from their past, regardless of how long they’ve known them.

“When it gets down to the get-down, none of those guys will be there,” Jones said. “When you hit that dark wall, the only person you can probably call is your mom. You have to get through it. It’s easy to say, but when you go through it, it really hits you.”

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Pacman Jones on his past: “I was pathetic””
  1. giantsfan82 says: Jun 16, 2012 7:00 PM

No Pacman, You ARE pathetic. It hasn’t been long enough for you to say you turned your life around.

2. ezmoover says: Jun 16, 2012 7:00 PM

“was” ?

3. gtorlone says: Jun 16, 2012 7:02 PM

The only direction Pacman can steer Kirkpatrick is the way to the strip club.

4. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 16, 2012 7:06 PM

I understand the cynicism as well, but if Pacman is telling it true, then he deserves a standing ovation. Only the best of us can admit when we’ve gone wrong, especially when you’re in such a large spotlight. Most would rather fume and make every excuse while blaming someone else, and you see it in the NFL time after time again.

5. upperdecker19 says: Jun 16, 2012 7:10 PM

Was just “being rebellion”. No big deal.

6. cooklynn17 says: Jun 16, 2012 7:11 PM

Too late for sympathy loser.

7. bucwild05 says: Jun 16, 2012 7:12 PM

I agree 100% with you NJJALLE…..

This is what the “inner city” kids are like… when one is talented in sports, they get out of the “inner city” and still act a fool.

Not only does he need to talk to the rookies, but, go into the inner city where crime is rapid among youths and give them some insight. Many teens do things today that is unbelievable, and many turn a blind eye to it… it’s not only sports, and it’s not easy to change, but, PacMan can be a role model (if he has indeed changed) for these teens and young adults that have no clue how to lead a productive life and stop gang banging.

Okay, rant over

8. lostsok says: Jun 16, 2012 7:12 PM

I hope this is true. Redemption is a story that never gets old. If he is sincere and committed, I wish Pacman the best.

9. sportsjoker says: Jun 16, 2012 7:16 PM

Adam Jones has made some serious mistakes, but I’m in his corner pulling for him to turn things around.

10. hulkhogansays says: Jun 16, 2012 7:17 PM

11. seatownballers says: Jun 16, 2012 7:19 PM

Bout time he owned up

12. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 16, 2012 7:19 PM

actions speak louder than words. totally cliche yes

13. scott8nj says: Jun 16, 2012 7:27 PM

I don’t want to pile on Pac-Man, but….. This is the first admission I have ever heard from him that anything was ever his fault. Even blaming things on falling in with the wrong crowd still doesn’t take direct responsibility. I’m not saying it’s easy to handle fame & fortune at a young age, so if he’s done being a belligerent knucklehead, I wish him all the best.

14. snoilog says: Jun 16, 2012 7:27 PM

got to love Big East and the losers that created

15. peytonwantsaflag says: Jun 16, 2012 7:35 PM

Wrong, nobody has a “right” to be cynical. Skeptical, yes, cynical, no.

16. chazzmon says: Jun 16, 2012 7:49 PM

Good for him owning up to his past stupidity, I think the $11.5 mil lawsuit will sink him though.

17. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jun 16, 2012 7:55 PM

Wow – newfound respect for Pacman for laying that out there. Adam Jones is owning it – and how can one not see that as a major step in the right direction for the guy?

Actions are far > words though.

So if legit, placing the accountability on the man in the mirror is a quantum leap forward for Adam Jones – and it would be tremendous if his expression of contrition and responsibility was the first giant steps toward a long, fulfilling and rewarding life.

Though ya gotta still feel pretty bad for the guy who got paralyzed – this is a positive turn.

18. covercorner says: Jun 16, 2012 8:04 PM

The light is finally coming on, but the damage has already been done.

19. yourmindismytoilet says: Jun 16, 2012 8:40 PM

hulkhogansays says: Jun 16, 2012 7:17 PM

“How fitting that he was a Cowboy and currently a Bengal. To complete the criminal trifecta next up he will sign with da Raidahs brother.”

Then on to the Pats for peanuts only to released after 3 games.

20. jimmylions says: Jun 16, 2012 8:43 PM

Doesn’t sound to me like he’s blaming anyone but himself. Only time will tell if this is a real change for Pacman, or if he’s just saying the right words to clean up his public persona.

Regardless, he’s 100% right about the fact that when the stuff hits the fan, you quickly discover who are your real friends.

21. ravenator says: Jun 16, 2012 8:49 PM

But I bet he still makes it rain once a week.

22. astrosfan75956 says: Jun 16, 2012 9:25 PM

Guys, the only reason PAC Man goes to the strip club is for the chicken strips and gunplay.

23. ihatethejets23 says: Jun 16, 2012 9:33 PM

Good for him, I’m glad hes acting like a man with no excuses and turning things around.

24. jjbadd says: Jun 16, 2012 10:00 PM

I hope he has changed, but one thing is certain, I wouldn’t click on PFT & let all the judgemental quacks bring me down…you see the same people posting on here daily..always looking to put others down. Best of luck to him if he is trying, and shame on anyone who says “its too late”! It’s never too late….

25. damnskins703 says: Jun 16, 2012 10:07 PM

The first step is to acknowledge that u did wrong, most people say they did nothing wrong

26. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 16, 2012 10:40 PM

Get your mind right Jones, stay out the strip clubs and hot spots, get you a good woman and chill out at home.

27. benchwarmer69 says: Jun 16, 2012 11:42 PM

I’d cheer for him if he’s really does the right things from here on out.

28. jnova80 says: Jun 16, 2012 11:49 PM

*”I am pathetic”

So much talent all gone to waste.

29. defscottyb says: Jun 17, 2012 2:21 AM

I am not a pacman fan by any means in fact I dislike this guy but… You have to give him a little credit for trying to finally get it together. Keep in mind he’s on the down slope of his career and only (yeah only for you and me) making like $950K a year, not mega bucks like before and… He knows this is his last chance to cash in and realizes his old ways ain’t getting it done. He’s saying all the right things because he has no choice now, parties over. I hope he can keep it together for the rest of his career and life. I believe people can grow and change from their mistakes, I’m living proof of that and I’m sure many people reading this are too.

30. CKL says: Jun 17, 2012 9:46 AM

Good for him if he’s really changed. I think it’s a good idea for him to speak at the symposium too. Granted, guys who don’t want to listen won’t but if his story changes just one rookie’s mindset, it’s worth it.

31. dryzzt23 says: Jun 17, 2012 10:20 AM

Pacman is the ROOT CAUSE of another man being dead and another being paralyzed

All of a sudden he “sees the light” when he has a huge judgement against him?

I will NEVER root for him and I sincerely hope he fails at all of his life’s endeavors. He does not deserve any more chances from anybody.

Did Rush Limbaugh get another chance at ESPN after he apologized? No he didn’t and he didn’t hurt anyone.
    Pacman gets someone killed and causes another person to be paralyzed – YEARS AGO – and suddenly NOW he’s sorry? And you fools but it hook, line, and sinker…..

32. fsf7 says: Jun 17, 2012 10:22 AM

While I was a banker, I met the owners of the strip club where Jones had his first altercation – and led to serious financial problems for them.

It’s easy to forget about the people that he hurt besides himself, but Jones was extraordinary in the degree of his actions.

The Titans drafted Jones with the #6 pick in 2005 and Vince Young with the #3 pick in 2006 – imagine what that team could have been….

33. backindasaddle says: Jun 17, 2012 1:29 PM

bucwild05 says:
    Jun 16, 2012 7:12 PM
    I agree 100% with you NJJALLE…..

Okay, rant over
    —————————————————————————————–

This makes me want to throw up. Pacman “a role model”…… are you kidding me!? I don’t care if he turns his whole life around (which frankly I think is a big bag of BS). The role model SHOULD be the guy that doesn’t act like a criminal in the first place. The role model SHOULD be the guy that sets himself apart for the GOOD things he does, by being exceptional in a positive way. Individuals such as Pacman should be ostracized and a huge societal stigma should be attached to behavior such as his. He should be forced to have a huge ‘L’ tattooed onto his forehead. If he turns things around and ends up be a non-heinous person then that’s all fine and good. But please, don’t ever ever EVER hold this lowest common denominator up as being a role model. We need to be raising the bar not lowering it down into the garbage juice on the pavement.

34. jcg23 says: Jun 17, 2012 7:52 PM

Some people come into our lives to teach us how to be a better person.

Some people come into our lives to show us how to be a better person.

And then there are some that come into our lives to show us what not being a better person looks like.

All of which should serve to teach you to be a better person.

Pacman Jones was the latter.

35. nopepper123 says: Jun 17, 2012 11:40 PM

But will he be able to stay healthy this year and contribute to the Bengals?? That’s really the only thing I care about at this point. Last year in the playoffs he looked like a beaten corner………