Pacman’s lawyer: Verdict “a devastating amount for him financially”

pacmanx-large Getty Images

Shortly after Bengals cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones was ordered to pay $11.65 million to victims of a 2007 strip club shooting, Jones’s lawyer said that’s more than he can afford to pay.

It’s obviously a devastating amount for him financially,” attorney Lisa Rasmussen told the Associated Press. “He has really worked hard to make a comeback with his NFL career. He doesn’t make enough money to pay that judgment.”

Although the shooting took place shortly after Jones set off a melee inside the strip club, Rasmussen said there is no evidence that Jones was involved in the shooting. And she thinks the jury’s verdict was motivated by a combination of sympathy for the two injured strip club employees, Tommy Urbanski and Aaron Cudworth, and the belief that Jones is a wealthy celebrity who can easily afford to pay.

“People perceive him as a person who is able to pay $11 million,” she said. “Adam doesn’t even get paid until he plays his first game.”

Yes, it’s true that Jones’s base salary is paid out one week at a time, starting with the first game of the season in September. But Jones has been a professional football player since 2005, when he signed a rookie contract as the sixth overall pick in the NFL draft that guaranteed him $13.5 million. If Jones were smart with his money, he would have a lot of it. Of course, if Jones were smart with his life decisions he wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place. The reality is that he probably doesn’t have anything close to the $11.65 million.

Still, Cudworth’s lawyer, Richard Schonfeld, said whatever money Jones does have, his client deserves.

“If he is making money, I am going to be there trying to collect,” Schonfeld said.

Jones is slated to make $950,000 this season with the Bengals.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Pacman’s lawyer: Verdict “a devastating amount for him financially””
  1. ripster65 says: Jun 16, 2012 12:36 PM

anyone feel sorry for him? didn’t think so

2. captatl says: Jun 16, 2012 12:37 PM

then he needs to sell all his belongings. Money is a free pass for his actions leaving a man paralyzed for life. When he is done playing football, he needs to cut the mans grass, clean his house and wipe his butt.

3. ripster65 says: Jun 16, 2012 12:37 PM

when you constantly do and say such stupid things, you remove yourself from any “benefit of the doubt” conversations

4. hulkhogansays says: Jun 16, 2012 12:40 PM

I don’t feel sorry for people with his wreckless care/attitude esp. rich, pro players brother.

5. jimd571 says: Jun 16, 2012 12:41 PM

Devastating like, never able to walk again, devastating?

6. rgledz says: Jun 16, 2012 12:50 PM

So what happens to the guy that actually fired the gun causing the paralysis?? I’m not defending Pac Man in this at all, but if the guy would have died would Pac Man have been charged with murder even though somebody else fired the gun? It’s a confusing verdict in the sense that the jury determined that he “set off a melee” that caused somebody to shoot a gun that paralyzed a man. My thoughts got to Urbanski and his family and I’ll leave it at that.

7. ripster65 says: Jun 16, 2012 12:55 PM

why don’t you negative voters explain why it is that you seem to think he got shafted instead of just giving negative votes?

Not to take a poke at the negative voters at all, I’d just like to see the other side…where are you coming from? The guy has a long-standing reputation for being at the wrong place at the wrong time every single time…coincidence?

8. papalurchdxb says: Jun 16, 2012 12:55 PM

I still don’t understand how he’s considered financially responsible for something that he wasn’t physically responsible for (so far as I can tell from reading as much coverage as I can find anyway). Don’t get me wrong, the guy is a long way short of being a MENSA member, but looking at this as someone who remains baffled by the US system of financial liability with no criminal responsibility, it looks to me like a case of someone taking money from a person they have no entitlement to claim from.

9. mazenblue says: Jun 16, 2012 1:01 PM

Outta curiosity, how much of his 950k salary does he give up? Does he get a small percentage for every day expenses? I’m just curious to the legal side. He can rot in hell for all I care. These athletes and their second chances make me sick.

10. smittynashville says: Jun 16, 2012 1:09 PM

I used to see him drive around Nashville in a lime green Lamborghini. It’s time to liquidate.

11. devinmr711 says: Jun 16, 2012 1:10 PM

Why make Pacman pay??? He didnt shoot anyone. They just trying to make his life miserable.

12. mtheparrothead says: Jun 16, 2012 1:11 PM

Did pacman fire the gun? No. Have they gone after the man who did? No. Why is that you think? Pacmans an idiot but to say he owes 11 mil for someone else shooting someone is ridiculous.

13. henson58 says: Jun 16, 2012 1:29 PM

How is he responsible for another man’s actions. Adam Jones did not shoot anyone as far as I know if I shot someone that’s my fault not someone else who happened to be there. This is insane this is what’s wrong with our society always looking for that free dollar.

14. valentino8100 says: Jun 16, 2012 2:35 PM

…as if any amount of money could bring those people back. Jones will now be saddled with incredible debt for the rest of life. Not that he doesn’t deserve to be, but I fail to see the point. IMHO, money is no restitution for loss of life, and it feels funny to me when the two are mixed. If it’s rehabilition of the offender, I would then ask how it would help to destroy a person’s future the extent to which this ruling does.

15. righthereisay says: Jun 16, 2012 3:27 PM

Well, at least he is lucky enough to earn money that he can give…. The NFL should have not allowed him to play.

16. effedinLA says: Jun 16, 2012 4:19 PM

I think Lisa Rasmussen is concerned that he may not be able to afford his ridiculous legal fees after that verdict.

17. jimmysee says: Jun 16, 2012 4:26 PM

If I were on that jury, those guys, as sad a story as it is, would have received nothing from Mr. Jones.

18. clu1perceiver says: Jun 16, 2012 4:31 PM

It’s a civil suit,if it was without merit it should have been thrown out of court. Once the suit got to trial liability is based on the lesser standard of a civil action. The damage award will be contested. Our legal system with it’s faults and foibles does not look like it has been abused in this case.

19. mpops86 says: Jun 16, 2012 4:33 PM

Pacman Jones may have been guaranteed 13M but that’s pre-tax AND doesn’t include his agent’s commission.

20. irishnativeson says: Jun 16, 2012 4:47 PM

Righthereisay, that may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen posted here. It doesn’t matter what anyone does to make an honest living, they have a right to make that living.

21. dredddog says: Jun 16, 2012 4:52 PM

Go ask Desean Jackson for some cash bro..I heard he just hands it out to “homies”

22. phillymike5959 says: Jun 16, 2012 5:00 PM

It was a devasting amount of damage to the guys spinal cord whose life was wrecked..If the victim doesn’t have insurance or can’t afford the care he’s going to need the rest of his life I have absolutely no problem with PacMan getting bled dry to cover it

23. stairwayto7 says: Jun 16, 2012 5:09 PM

Make Punkman be his Butler!

24. mwindle1973 says: Jun 16, 2012 5:36 PM

My problem with this all is, none of us know what the evidence in that court room was. But as far as we know, Jones hired a security guard who later shot 2 people. But did Jones order the shooting? DId he even authorize any situation where the security guard should start firing at people? WHy is he being held responsible for what the other man did? I’m not saying he’s not responsible. I just want to hear the legal argument of why he is. I have a feeling this isn’t going to fly on appeal. And then also there can be a number of issues in trying to collect a judgement that exceeds someone’s net worth.

25. covercorner says: Jun 16, 2012 5:41 PM

Pacman needs the Idiot’s Guide To Bankruptcy Book.

26. sportsjoker says: Jun 16, 2012 6:07 PM

I liked him when he played for my Cowboys. I hope he continues to get his life together.

27. jayquintana says: Jun 16, 2012 6:07 PM

Gosh, no way. I mean, he always struck me as a financially astute guy.

28. jimbo75025 says: Jun 16, 2012 6:13 PM

mwindle1973 says:
    Jun 16, 2012 5:36 PM
    ——————
    Yup. No way the full amount is paid, but whose bill will be paid-the attorneys for both sides. In the end the victims will be doing good to get a sundae from McDonalds once everything is said and done and all fees are paid.

29. nopepper123 says: Jun 16, 2012 6:20 PM

Bad break for Pac Man. If he were simply a construction worker who was at that bar that night, he probably wouldn’t be involved in any court decision. Just for the sake of getting a whole bunch of “thumb downs”, I’m going to say that Pac Man is getting railroaded on this outcome.

Oh, did I mention I’m a Bengals fan?

30. mwindle1973 says: Jun 16, 2012 6:29 PM

This is silly…how many of you Pacman haters out there actually know anything about this case? Because I believe the public details are few and far between. And if you are going to draw a conclusion from them..then my conclusion is I don’t get how he is responsible for injuries that were caused by another individual firing a gun. WHy isn’t that individual paying? That’s easy…he doesn’t have money. One thing not being printed is Jones lost several million dollars early in his career, due to basically putting the money in someone else’s hands and not paying enough attention. Lots of money disappeared or was used for ill-advised investments, etc. There is an inherent problem in a judgement that exceeds someone’s net worth. All you have to do is look at the OJ SImpson case. He was worth 10s of millions maybe 100s. And he managed to make it all disappear. THis judgement entitles them to collect the award. What most people don’t know is the judgement in know ways obligates Jones to pay it. Meaning the court that made the judgement can do nothing if Jones doesn’t pay. The plantiffs have to sue him again over that matter. But I think the appeal process could change the outcome. The lawyers for the plantiffs are hoping that Jones can generate another big contract in his career. But that’s not likely. Too bad Florio wouldn’t do a piece on the kind of people the lawyers who take these cases are. The plantiffs lawyers may be the biggest villians in this whole thing. Had they went with an amount that Jones could actually pay, maybe this would’ve gotten settled out of court

31. kodakinvegas says: Jun 16, 2012 6:44 PM

If he was shy inside of the casino, why isn’t. The strip club/casino being sued? Unless Pacman ordered the shooting how is he held accountable? Sounds to me, and I know very little about it, but it sounds to me like it’s the gunmans responsibility for pulling the trigger and the casino’s for lack of security. I just dont get where Pacman is accountable other than for those HE PERSONALLY INJURED. I’m lost on this one

32. mathsimillion says: Jun 16, 2012 6:51 PM

Its called accountability for your actions. These “entitled” rich athletes don’t seem to get the concept of consequences.

33. ssilva2283 says: Jun 16, 2012 8:41 PM

You know all you haters would expect sympathy if you had a 30, 000 dollar judgement on your 25, 000 a year income. People make mistakes. When did two wrongs start making a right ?

34. sportsjoker says: Jun 16, 2012 9:10 PM

“That is why you should have to earn your money. You seem to cherish it more. The rookie wage scale was a start but getting 2.4 million for a job out of college is still ridiculous.”

I agree that the NFL was in need of a rookie wage scale but then in the grand scheme of things, as much as the NFL is worth, they are now underpaid.

35. backindasaddle says: Jun 16, 2012 11:03 PM

Pacman’s lawyer: Verdict “a devastating amount for him financially”
    ———————————————————–

It’s called being held accountable and the cost of being a chithead. Cry no tears for Pacman. Society needs to have people such as him pay a price for their reprehensible behavior. He’s a disgrace to the human race and there should be a huge societal stigma attached to vermin like him.

36. clu1perceiver says: Jun 16, 2012 11:10 PM

Jones doesn’t have to be the trigger man to be legally liable. If someone in his employ is negligent or performs a criminal act at his nominal direction the injured party can go after him as well as any other persons or relevant parties. The plaintiffs targeted Pacman as the most lucrative, culpable subject.

37. boyshole25 says: Jun 16, 2012 11:14 PM

THe real tragedy is the a scumbag like jones makes millions of dollars oh yea ad lawyers are dirtbags also

38. dirtyharry1971 says: Jun 17, 2012 2:45 AM

as if the world needed another reason to HATE lawyers, this story should remind everyone of that. This guy is responsible, end of story

39. corysowa says: Jun 17, 2012 9:47 AM

Let’s face it, a Big Mac is “a devastating amount for him financially.”

40. robbyrob2 says: Jun 17, 2012 10:09 AM

he had all this money and he always thought it he could simply buy his way out of any trouble he gets in along the way, soooooo. Here you go. pay up.