Bernard Pollard works on cleaning up his language

pollard2 Getty Images

Football and foul language routinely mix.  Count Ravens safety Bernard Pollard among the small minority of men who manage to play the game without cursing a blue streak.

Or, in Pollard’s case, try.

Pollard recently explained to the team’s official website (via Ray Frager of CSNBaltimore.com) that Pollard  has been doing his best to eradicate four-letter words from his vocabulary.

“That’s how I live my life,” Pollard said.  “Me and my wife, we used to cuss like cats and dogs.  When you make a decision to change for the better, you live your life for the better.”

“I struggle, just like everybody is going to struggle,” Pollard said of the 17 times he slipped up last season. “But I think it’s about learning and accepting knowledge from other people and gaining wisdom.”

He feels particularly sheepish about an incident with Colts receiver Reggie Wayne, in which profanity from Pollard was picked up by CBS microphones.

“It’s on film, and you can’t take it away,” Pollard said.  “I can’t conduct myself like that.  Somebody’s kids are going to hear that.  My kids are going to hear that.  I have to be an example for not only my kids, but everybody’s kids.”

He’s right.  And we respect him for trying.  We’ll respect him even more when he no longer has to try.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Bernard Pollard works on cleaning up his language”
  1. footballchic777 says: Jun 17, 2012 9:47 PM

I am far from a Ravens fan, but am very happy to hear someone put it out there, take responsibility, and try to change! What a refreshing change from many players! Thanks Pollard!

2. randallflagg52 says: Jun 17, 2012 9:49 PM

Man I love this guy, with him on the team for the next couple of years we have a team leader once Ray and Ed call it quits.

3. sportsjoker says: Jun 17, 2012 9:52 PM

The media makes way to big of a deal out of professional athletes cussing.

4. sanjose61 says: Jun 17, 2012 10:10 PM

Bernard,

I’ve never been a fan of the teams you’ve played for but I’ve always loved you as a player.

Now I’m starting to really respect you as a person.

I have none of my own but I still try to act in a way that’s a good example for people younger than myself.

Here’s wishing you great success in all you do.

5. sportsmeccabi says: Jun 17, 2012 10:29 PM

The only power words have is the power you’re willing to give it.

6. trbowman says: Jun 17, 2012 10:31 PM

“The media makes way to big of a deal out of professional athletes cussing.”

Meh.

As long as they don’t do it in interviews the media doesn’t make a big deal of it.

No one was mad at Pollard or Gabbert for getting caught in the middle of a game cussing. It’s a part of that, just keep it on the field.

7. txtuff says: Jun 17, 2012 10:34 PM

Pollard is a good guy, crazy at times but seems to be a good guy.

8. sampulls says: Jun 17, 2012 10:42 PM

9. edgerules says: Jun 17, 2012 10:57 PM

Good to see that he wants to watch his mouth, even though I think the media goes overboard with their concern about athletes cursing on the field.

Now maybe he can clean up his playing, and stop injuring players.

10. Justified By God says: Jun 17, 2012 11:21 PM

My doctor tells me that swearing reduces stress. Therefore I posit that people who swear are mentally superior to those that do not.

Or at least I take offense to Pollard or anyone saying it’s better to not swear.

11. jsratx says: Jun 17, 2012 11:36 PM

Uhhh… he cussed me out on Twitter after a Texans game two years ago. This after being told he had a good game. Good luck with that, BP.

12. dandrol says: Jun 18, 2012 1:20 AM

My dog uses four letter words all the time…woof…ruff…just to name a few. Hope this makes it through the language filters. Good for Pollard on trying to better himself…hope my dog follows his lead!

13. richatthelake says: Jun 18, 2012 1:55 AM

In Todd Haley’s 1st season in Kansas City, Pollard grew tired of the coaches’ constant 4-letter barrages both in practice & meetings. He asked Haley to turn it down & Pollard was sent packing soon after that.

14. randallflagg52 says: Jun 18, 2012 3:02 AM

15. vasteelerfan says: Jun 18, 2012 4:35 AM

Good for him.If we want English as our language all of us need to follow suit. It is not hard to do but requires control of our emotions and maturity.

16. jamesbarnes says: Jun 18, 2012 6:05 AM

“Swearing is a precarious thing….I have always found that people do it because their vocabulary is fairly limited and they have a hard time articulating their emotions. Cheers to Pollard on his efforts!”

17. ravenator says: Jun 18, 2012 6:50 AM

Man is a beast. There is no dirty play from BP. He;s just tougher than your team’s players. Quit hating.

18. pape27 says: Jun 18, 2012 8:27 AM

The dude shouldnt worry about cleaning up his language.

He should worry about cleaning up his play. Dirty player.

19. electionconfidential says: Jun 18, 2012 8:53 AM

Worthy goal Bernard. It’s not all about swearing though. There’s a difference in yelling an expletive when you hit your thumb with a hammer and calling someone else a filthy name. The second thing is more damaging. Good luck to ya. I’m sure it’s a hard habit to break.

20. rayguyreturns says: Jun 18, 2012 10:38 AM

“jamesbarnes says:

I think it’s far more a result of social programming than any result of intelligence or maturity. Humans tend to emulate the language of those around them and in the media…which is why everyone says things like “Oh god” when they often have no personal belief in a god.”
    _____________________________________

It’s not social programming anymore than smacking your kids would be just because you saw your neighbor do it.
    It is a lack of vocabulary when someone has to use these particular words as verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and nouns. They entirely lose their intended lack of impact after being repeated 1000 times in a conversation. Try using a word once in 1000 words, and it has impact or expression. Overuse of the word waters it down to meaningless.

This is just part of the “dumbing down” of society.

Glad to see this guy recognizes it and wish more players would.

21. billhicks666 says: Jun 18, 2012 1:22 PM

randallflagg52 says:

“Now that he is in a real defensive system he is one heck of a player. Thank for cutting him Houston!”

Absolutely laughable, but you keep telling yourself that, randy!

22. slickster35 says: Jun 18, 2012 8:02 PM

He’ll take up swearing again as soon as he’s exposed for what he is, a whiff machine. I predict he’ll be out of the league in 2-3 years max.

23. randallflagg52 says: Jun 19, 2012 1:50 AM

I also don’t get so many people’s negative reaction to swearing, I hope none of you people ever considered military service if you are that against swear words. You wouldn’t last 6 months.