David Garrard says his back is healthy and he’s ready to play

davidgarrardsmile Getty Images

David Garrard is a long shot to beat out Matt Moore and Ryan Tannehill in the Dolphins’ three-man quarterback competition, but as he competes for the job in training camp, he says his back injury won’t be an issue.

Garrard, who had surgery for a herniated disk and didn’t play at all in 2011 after the Jaguars released him just before the start of the season, said he struggled through a rough few months immediately following the surgery but is now in good shape again.

“I was bad,” Garrard told the Sun-Sentinel. “I could barely get in and out of the chair for two and a half, three months. . . . Finally, around halfway through January, I was looking like an athlete again.”

Garrard won’t know until the preseason how his back holds up when he takes a hit from a 300-pound defensive lineman, but he said that during the Dolphins’ recent minicamp he got through everything without trouble.

“I could feel my body kind of get jarred around a little bit, but I was fine,” Garrard said. “I’m not worried about any recurrences, because the surgery is healed. My problem was just back spasm. I haven’t had any issues with that since.”

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin thinks Garrard is ready to go.

“The guy can still throw the football very well,” Philbin said of Garrard. “I think his command of the offense is good.”

If Garrard is looking as good as he and Philbin say, he may not be such a long shot to win the quarterback competition after all.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “David Garrard says his back is healthy and he’s ready to play”
  1. qdog112 says: Jun 18, 2012 7:10 AM

I wonder what would happen if we just let the starter be decided on the field, instead of the media experts telling us who’s a long shot and who is not. Garrard has more starts, more wins and more talent than the other two, but he’s the long shot – OK…. if you say so.

2. punkscotty says: Jun 18, 2012 7:20 AM

How is Garrard’s back hurting, if for all these years his teammates were the ones carrying him?

3. truthhurtstoo says: Jun 18, 2012 7:21 AM

maybe not such a long shot in the WCO.

4. mtheparrothead says: Jun 18, 2012 8:00 AM

” the guy can still throw the football well”.

Are you sure that’s the same Dave I watched loft balls up for the jags the last four years? Couldn’t be…

5. henryd3rd says: Jun 18, 2012 8:19 AM

A 34 year old QB with a history of back ailments is not a recipe for success. I wish him luck; but its a long shot that he’ll succeed. Having said that its obvious that the Dolphin depth chart at QB is not that high so we’ll have to wait and see.

6. 8drinkminimum says: Jun 18, 2012 8:39 AM

I hope he is in the mix. Regardless of system familiarity Tannehill needs to sit and brought along slowly.

7. botchedextrapoint says: Jun 18, 2012 8:47 AM

Garrard is a dark horse candidate for a surprisingly good season. He could start and play well.

Or he could get buried on the depth chart, never to be seen again.

8. gojags says: Jun 18, 2012 8:56 AM

If Garrard wins the starting QB job, it would be very bad news for the Dolphins Franchise.

9. ranadicus says: Jun 18, 2012 9:18 AM

We have a long way to go until the season but so far Garrard has been the best QB in camp. Moore doesn’t know the system and Tannehill isn’t up to NFL speed yet. How it plays out when by the start of the season we’ll have to see but as it stands Garrard is no “long shot”

10. regisphilbin says: Jun 18, 2012 9:57 AM

As a Jag fan I’ll be ordering HBO to watch. Great guy, awful quarterback. He’ll have a difficult time making the team…

11. FinFan68 says: Jun 18, 2012 4:00 PM

Nothing against Garrard but I’d rather trade him to the Browns straight up for McCoy as a future back-up.

12. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jun 18, 2012 7:04 PM

He and Moore seem to be ideal candidates to be your bridge starter until Tannehill is ready. Neither is challenging him for the qb of the future label.

I would have thought garrard would have been ideal for the Redskins actually.