Alonzo Spellman released from jail

img10607458 Getty Images

On the same day that the second overall pick in the 1998 draft found himself sentenced to five years in prison, word has emerged that the 22nd overall pick from six years earlier was released from incarceration.

Alonzo Spellman, who spent six years with the Bears, one year out of the game, two with the Cowboys, and one with the Lions, pleaded no contest to a 10 different charges from 2008.  He was sentenced to a year in jail and released for time served.

It’s unclear how much time Spellman, 40, actually served.

The collection of charges included eluding a police officer and assault with a dangerous weapon, both felonies, and misdemeanors counts of obstructing an officer and public intoxication.

Spellman has a long history of mental illness.  His lawyer, David Phillips, told the Associated Press that Spellman was not taking his medication at the time of the incidents.

Here’s hoping he takes his medication going forward.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Alonzo Spellman released from jail”
  1. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 19, 2012 8:49 PM

I wish him good luck. Mental illness has enough stigma attached to it already. He’ll wear his condition like a proverbial scarlet letter, in the eyes of the general public.

2. kingcarlbanks says: Jun 19, 2012 8:52 PM

I remember how much you used to hype this guy in Chicago. How he was a “physical freak of nature” with only 6% body fat. Too bad he was also a nutcase.

3. swagjag says: Jun 19, 2012 8:57 PM

I feel bad for NFL fans that were too young to remember him. He was a memorable character. I remember watching him and thinking.. that guy is friggin crazy!

4. cletusvandam says: Jun 19, 2012 9:03 PM

He got out just in time to join the concussion lawsuit and blame all his problems on the NFL!

5. covercorner says: Jun 19, 2012 9:09 PM

What are the Bears going to do without their best defensive lineman? This is a huge NFL news story.

6. raiderinva says: Jun 19, 2012 9:20 PM

For some reason I usually take the “they don’t appreciate how lucky they had it” approach to these types of situations.

However for some reason I hope that both Alonzo Spellman and Barrett Robbins can find some form of peace while they still walk this earth.

7. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 19, 2012 9:21 PM

He goes to jail but Ryan Leaf gets rehab? Only in America

8. Phintastic says: Jun 19, 2012 9:54 PM

kingcarlbanks says:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:52 PM
    —————————————

Nice compassion, Kingcarl….. I assume all those in your world are impervious to mental disease. Must be nice being so perfect.

9. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 19, 2012 9:57 PM

“Wow, I can’t believe it, here I am sitting in Alonzo Spellman’s old stall. I used to watch him on T.V. growing up….”.

10. amaf21 says: Jun 19, 2012 9:58 PM

Hmmm, this reminds me – wonder where Demetrius Underwood at…

11. obamareallysucks says: Jun 19, 2012 10:06 PM

so it wasn’t his fault he didn’t take his meds? whose fault was it? just another low iq entertainer!

12. vader7176 says: Jun 19, 2012 10:36 PM

kingcarl… wrote: remember how much you used to hype this guy in Chicago. How he was a “physical freak of nature” with only 6% body fat. Too bad he was also a nutcase”

Spellman was also the poster boy for underachievement.

13. pmad1 says: Jun 19, 2012 10:38 PM

These athletes never get a dose of reality because they are catered to from youth so what ever defect they have is never seen till they drive 100 mph drunk…..then its to late

14. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 20, 2012 7:26 AM

Welcome home Alonzo. Get well soon.

15. philwauke says: Jun 20, 2012 8:02 AM

I’d hate to be the cop that runs up on him.

16. steeelfann says: Jun 20, 2012 8:21 AM

Nut case, med issues, whatever……did you see his triceps though? They were the deal!