Mike Williams hopes WR addition erases “terrible” season

Carolina Panthers v Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getty Images

Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Williams had acceptable stats in 2011. But after the numbers he put up as a rookie the year before, he views it as a “terrible season.”

Williams hopes the addition of wide receiver Vincent Jackson, which moves him from split end to flanker, will help him bounce back to the form he showed in 2010 according to Scott Reynolds of PewterReport.com.

Williams had 65 receptions for 771 yards and three scores last year. In 2010, the same amount of catches went for 964 yards and 11 scores, the reason he was upset with his production.

“I think it was a terrible season for me,” Williams said. “It may have been one of the worst seasons I have had in my career. It’s the bounce back season and I’m going to forget about it. I’m going to use what I did bad to get good this season.”

Williams said part of the key was “buying in” to new offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan’s system, which has him moving around more. He’s even had some reps as a punt returner in practice, which he likes for the opportunity to get the ball in his hands.

The biggest drop-off for Williams last year was in big plays. He had just nine receptions of 20 yards or more (after 18 the year before), and his yards per catch was down nearly 3 full yards (11.9 after 14.8).

He thinks having Jackson to draw the opponents top corner will help in that regard, but he’s been more impressed with Jackson’s off-field habits than physical gifts.

“[He’s about] getting all the extra work in,” Williams said of Jackson. “You get off field, you watch a little film, and you go home. That’s not Vincent. You get off the field, watch a little film, and he makes you watch a little bit more film. He makes you watch yourself and watch what the defender is doing to you.

“That’s kind of what I learned from him that you have to keep evaluating yourself and evaluating other players, too.”

That extra work extends to the six-week break before the start of training camp as well, as Williams said he and Jackson and others will meet up with quarterback Josh Freeman in July to get more familiar with the new system.

That’s the kind of “buying in,” that may matter most, as the Bucs try to put last year’s misery behind them.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
13 Responses to “Mike Williams hopes WR addition erases “terrible” season”
  1. nyfcat says: Jun 19, 2012 11:24 AM

“It may have been one of the worst seasons I have had in my career.”….

Even 2009 when you quit?

2. bucrightoff says: Jun 19, 2012 11:24 AM

Mike, love that you’re not happy with your year last year, but I don’t think you were terrible. I mean the whole team was terrible. But you had to deal with double coverage and rolling coverages to your side and still put up similar numbers to your rookie year. With VJax likely to occupy more attention, and with a better running game, I can see you having a big year this year. Glad you have the commitment to it.

3. big007hed says: Jun 19, 2012 11:28 AM

Them getting together on their own time is definitely buying into what Coach Schiano is selling, “Buccaneer Men”.

I am loving the off season so far for the Bucs but they need to produce on the field.

After the Raheem Morris debacle I need to see it….

4. suite34 says: Jun 19, 2012 11:36 AM

If you’re a gambling man (or woman) the Bucs over/under win total is 5. The only way you lose is if they go 4-12. You win at 6-10 or better. In this economy, that’s a better bet than any mutual fund!

5. savocabol1 says: Jun 19, 2012 11:41 AM

I’d like to thank Mike Williams for personally ruining my fantasy team last year. Thanks a lot bust!

6. realitypolice says: Jun 19, 2012 12:00 PM

suite34 says:
    Jun 19, 2012 11:36 AM
    ===========

I love that number. I can easily see the Bucs benefiting from the “New Coach Bounce” phenomenon and winning 6 or 7, maybe even 8 or 9. It’s not like they play in a murderous division.

7. gotampabay52 says: Jun 19, 2012 12:08 PM

way to step up Williams this yr we need you Bucs 11 win season

8. schmitty2 says: Jun 19, 2012 12:19 PM

savocabol1 says:Jun 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Somehow I’m pretty sure he won’t lose sleep over that

9. milkmandanimal says: Jun 19, 2012 12:22 PM

As a Bucs fan, I’d like to suggest that, as an act of charity, everybody just forgets about the 2011 season. The team got lost on its way to the first preseason game and just wandered around for five months, never played a game.

It’s better that way.

10. bucwild05 says: Jun 19, 2012 12:23 PM

I can not remember the last time that I have been this excited for the season to start. I expect big things out of the Bucs this year… They have put the right pieces in place.

Williams will get more touches, because of Jackson. With a much improved offensive line, Freeman will have time this year, unlike having to force things. Winslow always demanded the ball, and more than half of Freeman’s interceptions were intended for Winslow when he was forcing throws. The running game will be exciting to watch.

With our secondary so much improved with a new CB, Barber moving to safety, Barron, the secondary will be awesome to watch. The D-line is the only thing I am worried about.

Bucs will win the division this year.

11. wayne1693 says: Jun 19, 2012 12:25 PM

Aren’t there about 14 wide receivers named Mike Williams? It’s very confusing.

12. silverbleedblack says: Jun 19, 2012 12:36 PM

I can’t stand the Bucs, but I can see several scenarios where they can take the division, pending the D-line’s play. I like the attitude the new head coach brings.

13. mpcny says: Jun 19, 2012 12:51 PM

oh boy they guy who could not stay in school at SU quit the team now says last year his worst??? Tip Mike you got a lot bad years ahead of you.

In a pick of Dez or Mike it would be even pickup on who ruins their career faster.