Report: Johnny Jolly applies for reinstatement

Johnny Jolly AP

Former Packers defensive tackle Johnny Jolly is a free man, and now he wants to be employed again.

Jolly told Brad Biggs of the National Football Post, which is co-owned by Jolly’s agent, that Jolly has been sober for eight months and that he has applied for reinstatement to the NFL, sending Commissioner Roger Goodell a letter last week.

The 29-year-old defensive tackle started every game for the Packers in 2008 and 2009 before a string of arrests for illegal possession of codeine, which he said he was addicted to. He also said he was high while watching his Packers teammates win Super Bowl XLV.

“That was most heavy feeling to watch those guys, that was bad,” Jolly told Biggs. “I sat there, it was like, ‘Man, I don’t understand. There is no way I shouldn’t be out there helping those guys go to war.’ They came out with the victory and I was so happy for them.”

Jolly said he hopes to rejoin the Packers if he’s reinstated, and pledged to make things right given a second chance.

“I am dedicated to really make a change in my life and come back and be a positive role model,” he said. “I think I have a great shot at going back to those guys. They’re a great organization. The coaches are very good, the players are good. I know they have supported me 100 percent.

“I want to say that would be a dream come true, but I made it in the NFL before. So, I would say it would be like another dream. It would be a journey and going back to do the things I love and showing everybody you can make mistakes but it’s the way you correct the things you’ve done wrong. I want to make the Packers look good if they want to take me back or not.”

Jolly was released from prison in May, after serving six months of a six-year sentence. We wish him the best of luck in his recovery, whether he gets back to the NFL or not.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Report: Johnny Jolly applies for reinstatement”
  1. smchristensen says: Jun 19, 2012 12:27 PM

He sounds sincere. I for one hope he makes a clean start whether it’s in the NFL or not.

2. jusford says: Jun 19, 2012 12:28 PM

He would have a better shot at joining the Vikings now, they look for his type of resume. Past Green Bay Packer (check)
    Trouble with the law (check)

3. bjamesa says: Jun 19, 2012 12:28 PM

He gave my team team a black eye more than once, that being said, he is a talented player and at a position of need. We’ve already brought in a few players to fill the role and he would be nothing more than a security blanket and depth. Whether or not the Packers take another shot with him, I hope he is sincere. I hope he has beaten his addiction and overcome his old lifestyle, hopefully cutting ties with people who dragged him down in the past. Good luck with your reinstatement not only in the NFL, but into society, JJ! And maybe we’ll see you out there in the green & gold again soon!

4. burm61 says: Jun 19, 2012 12:30 PM

I hate it when guys compare playing a game to “going to war” they have no idea.

5. ezwriter69 says: Jun 19, 2012 12:38 PM

They didn’t go to war, you junkie idiot, they played a football game. No one died, no one got shot at, no one risked their life for their country. Grow up, you entitled punk idiot, wars are real, football is a game.

6. ddjesus says: Jun 19, 2012 12:45 PM

As a Packers fan I would invite him to training camp, at least to see if he’s in shape. Dude was a beast when he wasn’t headbutting Vikings players…

7. londonfletcher says: Jun 19, 2012 12:50 PM

“six months of a six-year sentence”

I wish him the best, but these guys get off too easy sometimes.

8. philyeagles5 says: Jun 19, 2012 12:55 PM

9. bmue42 says: Jun 19, 2012 1:00 PM

Hope to see you in the green and gold again soon big man

10. mavajo says: Jun 19, 2012 1:01 PM

I’m not exactly sympathetic towards Jolly, but if Vick got a second chance, I see no good reason that Jolly shouldn’t.

All he did was drank that Purple. Not like he was killing family pets.

11. mavajo says: Jun 19, 2012 1:05 PM

This guy’s gonna have an uphill battle. Defensive linemen are notorious for having conditioning issues. Sitting for two years couldn’t have helped.

12. acdc84 says: Jun 19, 2012 1:05 PM

“Must be nice to be in the NFL. Lemme go get busted for something repeatedly and see if I can get out of jail having served a 12th of my sentence.”

There is a huge prison capacity problem, so Iet’s save the room for dangerous criminals. Jolly is a non-violent offender with huge addiction problems. Though it might seem unfair to you, being involved with and having the support of a professional football team would do wonders for his recovery, so why not give him that chance?

13. xxwhodatxx says: Jun 19, 2012 1:09 PM

Six months of six years and they want to know why they do this crap over and over.

14. bozz2006 says: Jun 19, 2012 1:14 PM

Regardless of what happens with Jolly and the NFL, here’s praying that he can stay clean and live well.

15. jessethegreat says: Jun 19, 2012 1:54 PM

I wish Johnny the best in keeping control of his life whether he completely makes it back or not. The Packers missed him last year, and if he can walk the straight and narrow I would be happy to have him back. Even at 1/2 the motor he had before, he’d still help our defense.

Put it in his contract that he must stay in GB during the offseason though Teddy!

16. bobby2478 says: Jun 19, 2012 2:01 PM

im pullin for this guy. addiction is a very hard thing to overcome. dumb he was put in jail in the first place. **************************

Agreed 100%. The guy had an addiction problem, one that only hurt himself. He wasn’t victimizing other people, he was hurting himself. I feel for people like this, they need help to overcome their addictions, and kicking him out of the game and putting him in prison won’t fix anything.

How many players get addicted to pain killers after having their teams give them away like tic tacs so they could stay on the field and play?

I wish him well and think he deserves a chance to prove if he can still play.

17. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 19, 2012 2:31 PM

Good luck, Johnny! We don’t need you, but hopefully you can land somewhere (other than the vikes; you might as well try the AFL it that’s where you’re going to go.).

18. tombradysponytail says: Jun 19, 2012 2:49 PM

Shouldn’t this be filed under the Minnesota Vikings page instead of the Green Bay Packers page?

19. patsaintsbroncoscheat says: Jun 19, 2012 2:53 PM

mavajo says: Jun 19, 2012 1:01 PM

All he did was drank that Purple. Not like he was killing family pets.
    _______________________________
    Exactly!

20. bougin89 says: Jun 19, 2012 2:59 PM

The last year JJ suited up for us I thought he was our best Dlineman even over Cullen Jenkins. He was great against the run and constantly collapsed the pocket. It would be worth giving him a look just to see if he has anything left, we could sure use him if he does.

21. 4gone says: Jun 19, 2012 3:15 PM

I wish him well. Doubt Pack will take him back though. I have to say I have never seen a guy knock down as many passes as Jolly. Really had good timing in his jump and a knack for the ball.

22. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 19, 2012 3:21 PM

I don’t buy the “addiction” aspect of this but the American drug policy is far from sensible.

That being said, I hope Mr. Goodell allows this young man to reform within the NFL.

If the golden child Aaron Rodgers said Jolly should play, then dagnabit let the man play.

23. purpleguy says: Jun 19, 2012 3:57 PM

Maybe he can get a job driving around Fairley and LeShoure from the Lions.

24. stavreafavre says: Jun 19, 2012 4:13 PM

Jolly should be given another chance. He’s a pretty good guy. And Erik Walden should be the one they drop to make room for him.

25. vikescry1 says: Jun 19, 2012 9:33 PM

well either way it would be nice if he could be around a team to help him stay positive and keep clean. with his suspension and not being able to have him be suspended and still be around his team was a bad idea. with addiction’s you need all the support you can get. good luck jj

26. Jennie Oemig says: Jun 19, 2012 10:17 PM

i’m a diehard cheesehead and even i think this is a bad idea! the guy’s only been out of prison for a month for crying out loud! http://98ontheblack.com/2012/06/19/a-jolly-bad-idea/

27. rtk23 says: Jun 20, 2012 3:45 PM

28. bloena01 says: Jul 1, 2012 6:12 PM

You need to get over the “war” comment ezwriter69….idc if youre out there as a military general..its a comment commonly referred to in professional sports. its their war…not yours. my point proven