A.J. Jenkins signs with 49ers

A.J. Jenkins Pic Getty Images

The San Francisco 49ers have now signed all seven of their 2012 draft picks.

A.J. Jenkins, a wide receiver from Illinois selected by the 49ers with the 30th overall pick, has signed the standard four-year deal, the team announced. The maximum value of the deal will be $6,947,529.

San Francisco got its other six draft picks’ deals done more than a month ago.

Last season Jenkins caught 90 passes for 1,276 yards and eight touchdowns and was a big-play threat in an Illinois offense that had few other weapons in the passing game.

Jenkins reportedly showed up out of shape to the team’s offseason conditioning program, and he’s going to have to get a lot better if he wants to get much playing time on a 49ers offense that also has receivers Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham and Randy Moss.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
13 Responses to “A.J. Jenkins signs with 49ers”
  1. mezter says: Jun 20, 2012 5:44 PM

Welcome to the team A.J. We’ll be rooting for you in the years to come. Good luck.

2. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 20, 2012 5:59 PM

In time, this draft selection by the 49ers will prove to be a “swing and a miss.”

3. rgi22 says: Jun 20, 2012 6:13 PM

Gotta be the first 1st round pick to be signed as a 5th stringer

4. elmaxoh says: Jun 20, 2012 6:31 PM

They should have draft Stephen Hill .

5. sadskinsfan89 says: Jun 20, 2012 6:35 PM

this was the biggest suprise in the draft. niners couldve got this dude late second round maybe even the third. but then again i thought aldon smith was a reach so i shld prob be quite

6. cali49er707 says: Jun 20, 2012 6:35 PM

this guy will make some big plays this season, with gore, lamicheal james, hunter, & jacobs threats out the backfield & davis with delanie walker keeping LB’s busy, crabs in the slot, moss & manningham being accounted for on the outsides by CB’s & safetys, with jenkins speed & the threat of all the other weapons on the field, the defense will have to pick its poison, chances being him getting alot of 1 on 1′s!!!

7. bubba9er says: Jun 20, 2012 6:49 PM

I am surprised he took this long to sign. He has come in out of shape and may not even see the field his rookie year. The 9ers made pretty big moves at WR this offseason, and this guy is lucky to still have the contract on the table to sign.

He had better step it up, or he will never even sniff a starting position. It is not like the 9ers offense runs the spread and needs 6 receivers on the active roster.

8. steelers4385 says: Jun 20, 2012 8:00 PM

Listen, i like the niners. I love the 3-4 defense and i love the niners defense. I respect how they want to run it and do a pretty good job. Vernon is a beast and so is gore. That being said, Alex Smith is got to be the most worthless moron on that team. I just cant for the life of me
    Get passed how bad he sucks. I would rather bail Ryan Leaf out of prison, pay him in pain killers, and let him rob my house twice a week all just to be the QB over Smith. The niners will NEVVVVER win a superbowl with him under center. And its to bad because they really do have a great team.

9. jessethegreat says: Jun 20, 2012 8:56 PM

Don’t they already have a complete bust 1st round receiver in Ginn?

10. tucson9er says: Jun 20, 2012 10:06 PM

@steeler4385 – I won’t go into the 50 things that will prove you wrong because I think you’re trying to be antagonistic. Smith isn’t an elite QB but he will surpass a lot of QB’s on stats this year and unless he is injured there’s a high probability that Smith and the Niners will be SB bound. That being said, I’m not a Steelers fan and don’t pretend to know a lot about them, so stick to the team you know and shut your pie hole. PS, Rothlisberger is a hack and will retire because he realizes that he can make more money on his back. Lol.

11. jessethegreat says: Jun 20, 2012 11:53 PM

tucson9er says: Jun 20, 2012 10:06 PM

—————————————————-
    So you’re saying you wouldn’t trade Alex Smith straight up for Roethlisberger?

There can’t be 5 starting qb’s in the league that Alex Smith would start over. He is your achilles heel. He’s by far the weakest link on your team, and he will prevent them from earning a ring.

12. tucson9er says: Jun 21, 2012 10:02 PM

Truth is I like Rothlisberger and I’ve called Alex every name in the book but right now, the way the team has helped, no. He is the big fat question mark, but this is the first time he’s had every tool he needs. You may be right, he may never lead a SB victory but this is the best chance he’ll get so I want to support that and this team. If he fails then I would gladly accept his replacement. Thanks for the honest question.

13. briank1ne says: Jun 23, 2012 6:42 PM

Hes gonna have one route. That’s the deep desean Jackson route.