Clearing the air on Plaxico Burress and the Panthers

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat Getty Images

Based on an interview he did with a Charlotte radio station, somehow people got the idea the Panthers might be interested in wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

I promise I won’t play this card too often. But having covered the Panthers for a year or two (OK, 14), let me clear this one up.

The Panthers are not interested in Burress.

Not for the league minimum. Not to compete for a job in camp. Not at all.

That’s not new or according to a source with knowledge of the situation, or anything like that. Just a fact. (Although I may have a source or two there, and they’re usually fairly incredulous every time this comes up).

The answer is no.

There are several things at work here, not the least of which is they have a young receiver they really like in Brandon LaFell.

Somehow, the Panthers have become a bit of a clearinghouse for vets looking for work to float as a possibility. Maybe it’s because in the old days, they’d throw money around a bit more than they do now (Keyshawn Johnson and the $6 million in parting gifts). Maybe it’s because Charlotte’s a fairly righteous place to live (Former Panthers defensive tackle Brentson Buckner called it “The Married Man’s Paradise” and I kind of agree).

And before anyone asks, they’re not interested in trading for Percy Harvin, or any other such receiver-related transaction. Back in my old job, I had to swat this one away a dozen times, whether it was Randy Moss or T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

But today, it’s Burress. And the answer’s still no.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Clearing the air on Plaxico Burress and the Panthers”
  1. kepickle says: Jun 20, 2012 7:07 PM

Tell them like it is Darin Your nearly always right Thats why us Panther Fans Like you

2. rajbais says: Jun 20, 2012 7:07 PM

He’s getting a raw deal, big time!!!

Bruce Arians, Ken Whisenhunt, or Brian Schottenheimer should get him signed!!!

3. jimmysee says: Jun 20, 2012 7:08 PM

Signing creaky old guys for big buck$$ sends a terrible message to your own young hungry guys.

Sounds like the Panthers got this right.

4. jeffreythetaylor says: Jun 20, 2012 7:29 PM

“Somehow, the Panthers have become a bit of a clearinghouse for vets looking for work to float as a possibility.”

Somehow? Darrin, you and I know EXACTLY how: Marty Hurney is an idiot. More precisely, Marty Hurney is an idiot who enjoys the complete and total backing of his owner.

Agents know it is always worth floating the Panthers because: A) The rest of league won’t put anything past Marty. B) Marty might hear the spin himself and decide, “Gee, that is a good idea.”

Seriously DG, you are free of the MNI yoke — and you did a pretty good job of speaking truth to power in a city totally unprepared for the concept.

Now repeat after me: My dog would be a better NFL GM than Marty “The Lig” Hurney.

PS — Doubts? Name one thing Marty did out of the ordinary besides stumbling on Jake Delhomme. His drafts have been horrid.

5. bizurk says: Jun 20, 2012 7:45 PM

Wait, why wouldn’t they be interested in Harvin? He could be a productive option and apprentice to (the real) Steve Smith. As SS edges towards retirement, Harvin and LaFell would look like good options for Cam for years.

6. cincinnasti says: Jun 20, 2012 8:21 PM

You sound like Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer about the possibility of T.O. signing with the Bengals.. And well.. He was wrong…

7. ericn42000 says: Jun 20, 2012 9:17 PM

Ill play for league min I’m younger,I’m faster, plus I would never shoot myself

8. onegamedoesnotaseasonmake says: Jun 20, 2012 10:08 PM

Wait, haven’t the panthers already made the playoffs?

9. lennydpocketqb says: Jun 21, 2012 12:40 AM

The Panthers have fans?

10. djrando7 says: Jun 21, 2012 9:17 AM

I am also tired of hearing that the Panthers are just so awesome and ready to take it home, and the season hasn’t already started. I love how everyone thinks sCam Newton is going to be able to do half of what he did last year. He is not very good. Just the way it is. He can put up all the stats he wants, but that doesn’t mean anything when you aren’t getting the W’s.

11. jgedgar70 says: Jun 21, 2012 9:38 AM

bizurk says:
    Jun 20, 2012 7:45 PM
    Wait, why wouldn’t they be interested in Harvin?
    _____
    Because we just drafted Joe Adams, a Harvin clone, minus the migranes.
    _____
    djrando7 says:
    Jun 21, 2012 9:17 AM
    _____
    We’ve been over this 1,000 times, but I’ll make it 1,001 for you, since you still don’t get it. CAM DOESN’T PLAY DEFENSE. If you had watched the Panthers D for 1 minute of the last game, you understand why we only won 6 games. How is it Cam’s fault that we had only 1 decent DB to go against everyone’s receiving corps? How is it Cam’s fault that all our good LBs got hurt and we were left with depending on Jordan Senn to make 20 tackles in one game?

Jon Beason has multiple Pro Bowls, Thomas Davis is a stud if his knee is all the way back, we have several rookie and 2nd-year guys (Brandon Hogan, Frank Alexander, Josh Norman, Luke Kiechly) that should contribute right away, plus yet another offensive weapon (Tolbert). Unless every single one of those guys washes out (highly unlikely they ALL wash out), the defense is going to be in the middle of the pack instead of 29th.

With the questions still surrounding the Saints and Bucs, there is plenty of good reason to expect the Panthers to make the playoffs.