Former teammate: “Pay me” voice wasn’t Hargrove’s

Anthony Hargrove AP

A former Saints practice squad defensive lineman said he knows who said “pay me my money,” on the sidelines of the 2009 NFC Championship Game, and that it wasn’t Anthony Hargrove.

Hargrove denied the voice on the videotape which the league presented as evidence was his, and former teammate Earl Heyman corroborated that claim to CBS Sports’ Jason LaCanfora .

“I was right there, right there in that closeup [of the defensive huddle] they’re talking about,” said Heyman who is now a boxer after his one year with the Saints. “Every time they came off the field I was standing right there talking to them, and I know who said it, and I can say with 100 percent accuracy who said it, and I know 100 percent it wasn’t Anthony.”

Heyman would not reveal who the voice belonged to, but said he’s willing to give his version to the NFL.

“I don’t want to incriminate anyone,” Heyman said. “I will if I have to, if it goes to court or something like that, I’d testify. But I don’t want to get caught up in this or that or getting more people in trouble.

“That’s not what I’m about, but I am about protecting Anthony because he’s my friend and he’s been done a great injustice and he’s been done wrong.”

Following Hargrove’s denial Tuesday, the NFL released a statement saying it stood by its investigation, without further comment.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Former teammate: “Pay me” voice wasn’t Hargrove’s”
  1. sf944 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:14 PM

Asked if the fact that some player made the comment about “pay me the money,” points to the existence of a bounty program, Heyman objected.

“It might have been something personal between two players, ‘If I get to the quarterback first I get paid,’” Heyman said. “Stuff like that happens all across the league.

2. ghostofnflpresent says: Jun 20, 2012 4:16 PM

Who Dat *Saints

3. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:17 PM

I look forward to the day this all goes away.

4. pesh00 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:22 PM

Sue Goodell..

5. jealst says: Jun 20, 2012 4:24 PM

League says Hargrove declared bounties and confirmed other allegations in his declaration. Turned out to do no such thing. The league says they have a ledger that Saints hurt 4 Bills in 2009… then it was changed to the Panther game. 1 injury, a line backer. The league says Joe Vitt pledged $5,000 for a bounty on Brett Farve. He confronts them and they then turn and say “He did no such thing.” The league says they have Hargrove voice on audio. His teammates come to his defense. Also, it wasn’t even Hargrove on the high low hit. So, why would he have said “Pay me”? Man… and they said the Saints have lost all credibility. Everything released, leaked and told to someone about has come back false or had someone say “Hold up, when have I said/did that?”

6. specialteamsposter says: Jun 20, 2012 4:25 PM

The Saints were not only good football players, they were also skilled ventriloquists.

7. mdd913 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:30 PM

Another giant hole in the NFL’s investigation. When will people finally start to see this for the farce it is and has always been?

8. bucrightoff says: Jun 20, 2012 4:30 PM

This entire investigation, from both sides, is full of rats and snakes. No wonder its such a mess.

9. spankymcwanky says: Jun 20, 2012 4:35 PM

You know what’s “funny”? When something is posted that is negative about the Saints, everyone and their grandma seems to comment and “thumbs up” anything negative about the Saints. But when something is posted and is positive about the Saints, then the number of commentors seems to almost vanish. It seems to me that the majority of people posting on this website don’t care about getting to the truth, but only to be a part of a figurative 1960′s Bugs Bunny style “dogpile on the rabbit” shtick.

10. moagecu says: Jun 20, 2012 4:51 PM

Too bad this guy will never say who it was, holding up th NFL suspensions.

11. flannlv says: Jun 20, 2012 4:52 PM

No wonder the NFL didn’t want witnesses presented or questioned. Goodell has predetermined the outcome and results. Now that this “evidence” is in clear dispute, will the NFL change it’s course? Of course not because this was never about truth. This was a PR move from the league to address the concussion lawsuits and feign concern for safety while proposing an 18 game schedule.

12. jrmbadger says: Jun 20, 2012 4:56 PM

I think he’s right.
    Watch the video yourself several times. It’s on nfl . com NFL total Access At first, it looks as if the NFL is right, but after I watched it several times I’m now convinced its Adeyole.

In the video Hargrove’s lips are moving when he says “Bobby” and then his lips move some more but you can’t hear what he is saying. Immediately thereafter, Adeyole leans over (obscuring Hargrove’s mouth) and says “Pay me my money.”

Adeyole’s body language says it all – he even turns his head to the left slightly just as the phrase is uttered.

This makes a lot more sense as well considering Adeyole was involved in the hit that knocked Favre out.

13. secretbonus1 says: Jun 20, 2012 5:16 PM

Only the innocent like Brian Banks pleads guilty. The guilty deny, deny, deny. “it wasn’t me” was the name of a pop song that was all about denying that they were “cheating”. Elliot Spitzer, Bill Clinton, Herman Cain, etc. We’ve seen this tactic before and it never ends well… The NFL had a thorough investigation and these guilty members have the nerve to accuse the NFL of lying and the NFL of having “no evidence”… LOL!

14. whodatgirl1 says: Jun 20, 2012 5:17 PM

Even if it was said, it doesn’t prove the existence of a bounty program. The NFL has said numerous times that the pay-offs were at the defensive meetings the following week, so why would anyone be asking Bobby McCray for money if it was a bounty?

Heyman also said there was no such bounty program.

Haven’t you ever had a bet with someone? Say maybe that a QB that was beaten-up so badly in his previous game that you had a bet with a friend that he wouldn’t last the game? “I bet you $100 that Grandpa Favre doesn’t last the Game.” “Deal.”

15. makbjkamk26 says: Jun 20, 2012 6:03 PM

Silly question. What is in it for the NFL to make this up?

16. CKL says: Jun 20, 2012 6:23 PM

Why would whoever it is let Hargrove hang for this? What a jerk. I hope maybe the guy hasn’t seen the clip or something. If you would let someone else take the fall for something you did, you are the one who doesn’t belong in the NFL.

17. halbert53 says: Jun 20, 2012 6:33 PM

NFL has to put on a dog and pony show that they are cracking down on hard hits to protect the NFL from lawsuits. As to the contention by some posters that players willingly agreed to a disciplinary system that is flawed (Goodell prosecutor & judge rolled into one) through the CBA, that may seem true on its face but in fact it is not. Athletes wishing to play professional football in the U.S. have no viable alternative to the NFL. That is why the NFL operates under an anti-trust exemption.

18. 2112ruler says: Jun 20, 2012 8:52 PM

Questions:

A) Why didn’t this guy come forward long ago when the video first surfaced and was being shown everywhere?

B) Why would the person who said it not be a man and admit that it was him rather than letting a teammate suffer?

I know Saints fans will say this isn’t true, but this basically confirms what the coaches have admitted – that there was a bounty program in place. ‘Pay me my money’ is about as clear as it gets that there were payments being made.

Irregardless, the officials should have done a better job during that game. So many bad calls and no calls that it was truly ridiculous, pro-wrestling style ridiculous. It’s the only time I’ve ever heard of an official calling a QB (Favre) afterward and apologizing for how the game was officiated.

I think that the 65 thumbs up to 3 thumbs down to the post above (“I look forward to the day this all goes away.”) demonstrates how sick of this everybody is. The players involved should accept the fact that they got caught and continued after being told to stop, man up, down their medicine with a grimace, and let everybody move on. The players union should stick up for ALL of it’s members, not just the few who try to injure other union members for a few bucks.

19. outzider2012 says: Jun 21, 2012 11:35 AM

Number 1…look closely at the bottom line for the so called bounty program with regards to the NFL:
    The massive lawsuit pending.
    A divide and conquer ploy the NFL is using against the players.

First the lawsuit. The NFL with it’s billions and billion of dollars of revenue over the past 20 years, should have put a fund aside for the physical injuries that most of its retired players are now incurring.

(especially it’s superstars to name a few…Earl Campbell who is basically a parapeglic now)
    Just 2% of the profits per year would have made a huge difference…and a great honorable gesture. The greed of the NFL created this mess.

Now the second ploy:
    Every team past and present had a pay for performance based scheme…no different than betting on horse racing , basketball, poker, and boxing.

Just listen to some of the foul language from past basketball games among the players (charles Barkely,oakley and a few others)

So using that rhetoric in a public forum was of course going to create a backlash and sway public opinion…which was the driving purpose behind it. Yes, the culture must change..but was it not the same NFL that authorize all those NFL videos based on glorifying the brutal and punishing hits of the game…

20. outzider2012 says: Jun 21, 2012 11:39 AM

and made a ton of money from those videos…nuff said