Stevie Johnson returns to practice, feels no pain

Stevie+Johnson+Buffalo+Bills+v+Miami+Dolphins+ZAXMZ_GwEqMl Getty Images

It doesn’t seem like the Bills will have to worry about the aftereffects of Stevie Johnson’s groin surgery.

The wide receiver made good on his proclamation that he’s way ahead of schedule in his recovery from the operation by getting on the field for Tuesday’s minicamp practice. Johnson was limited to 10 snaps during the 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 portions of practice, but that’s 10 more than the Bills thought he was going to get just a short time ago. After the session, Johnson said that his main concern at this point is mental rather than physical.

“I felt like I was a bit slow. Then coming in and cutting to the right it felt heavy. It’s just a mental thing because I didn’t feel any sharp pain like I did last year,” Johnson said, via the team website. “That’s why I felt like I’m good. So hopefully tomorrow I’ll just be able to go out there and focus on plays and who is lined up across from me and defense and all that other stuff. Today it was more of if I cut right here will it pop or what is going to happen next? I just feel like if I get a few more plays then I’ll be good.”

Even if Johnson doesn’t wind up doing much more than he did on Tuesday, his return for minicamp is a success. It gets the first day back on the field out of the way long before training camp and allows Johnson to focus on getting himself ready for camp instead of worrying about his physical condition.

That’s a win for the Bills as well. Johnson’s return means they can spend more time thinking about who will play across from him during the regular season.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Stevie Johnson returns to practice, feels no pain”
  1. superputman says: Jun 20, 2012 10:36 AM

Very nice.. I bet the Bills no-name flock of wideouts is going to out perform the Patriots bunch of old/spoiled/over rated wideouts.

2. buffalomafia says: Jun 20, 2012 11:31 AM

What about the Bills trying to get a WR that us taller than 6′ tall? That us only piece of the puzzle they need?

3. jpmelon says: Jun 20, 2012 12:11 PM

Go easy on it Stevie……practice catching the ball on the straight away…….we don’t need you practicing your cuts right now.

4. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 20, 2012 12:49 PM

Cheap Shot Stevie is gonna get his this season.

5. notthatguy87 says: Jun 20, 2012 12:54 PM

Superputman, I’m a die hard Bills fan, but let’s not get carried away here now . . .

6. polishkingski says: Jun 20, 2012 3:53 PM

he is scrappy, tough and driven but i do not believe he will ever be a top ten wide out. donald jones will come into his own this season and out play johnson. write it down western ny.

7. kgun80 says: Jun 20, 2012 8:39 PM

We have that guy!! Marcus Easley! Now if he can be healthy he can be a red zone threat… Everyone thinks we need size? Nelson and Chandler are both good red zone players. We have alot of speed. I hope everyone keeps talking about our D. Because if the O can stay healthy watch out!!
    Speed isn’t necessarily always just for the deep ball, that quick pass is a big part of our offense … Speed makes those short passes into big plays.