Trent Richardson not interested in Jim Brown’s thoughts

Trent Richardson AP

Mike Holmgren might be interested in mending fences with Jim Brown, but don’t expect Trent Richardson to do the same.

The rookie running back told Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com that he had no interest in talking to the man who so often referred to him as “ordinary” before and after the Browns took him with the third overall pick.

“He has his own thoughts. That’s him being him,” Richardson said. “I have no problem with it. I just wish the best of luck for him whatever he’s doing in life.”

Among other criticisms of the current regime, the Hall of Fame running back zeroed in on Richardson, saying he didn’t see “anything outstanding about him.”

“I laugh at the situation,” Richardson said. “You don’t know me from spic to span. But he’s Jim Brown. He’s done a lot here and I haven’t done anything yet. I have a lot to accomplish and big shoes to fill.

“When it comes down to it, I have to work and make sure I make him a believer. I haven’t done anything yet.”

There are times when Brown comes off as a cranky old man, complete with the “get off my lawn,” tendencies.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
52 Responses to “Trent Richardson not interested in Jim Brown’s thoughts”
  1. onereasonableman says: Jun 20, 2012 2:42 PM

I like it. I hope the rest of the Browns players take the same attitude. There is a lot to accomplish.

He was respectful of Jim Brown too. There is just no need to sit down and talk to a guy who called him “ordinary.”

So just play and play well.

2. akspayde says: Jun 20, 2012 2:43 PM

Totally disagree with the suggestion at the end of this article that Richardson was being disrespectful. After how negative Brown has been towards him, I think Richardson’s comments were very fair and respectful. There’s no controversy here.

3. eaglesw00t says: Jun 20, 2012 2:45 PM

Good for him.

Personally, if I were him, I would be quite disappointed in having a local hero bust me up. You try not to let it bother you, especially in public, but he appears to be approaching this well. He replied well without talking smack to a senior citizen.

Im an NFC guy, but I am rooting for you Trent, just for this whole thing.

4. quasicontract says: Jun 20, 2012 2:46 PM

I cannot tell if you are suggesting that Richardson was being disrespectful or not. I do not see anything wrong with what he said. It would be ridiculous to suggest that TR needs to bite his tongue considering the things Jim Brown has said about him. He responded well in my opinion.

5. donniebrownsco says: Jun 20, 2012 2:49 PM

Im curious if Jim Brown would say that to Trent Richardson’s face. Yes he WAS the best ever. But Trent would knock Jimmy Boy down a peg or two.. With some respect still in order..

6. 561bengal says: Jun 20, 2012 2:52 PM

Richardson is not just ordinary. I hate that my Bengals have to face him twice a year.

7. voxnovo says: Jun 20, 2012 2:55 PM

Such a great player, Jim Brown. He has to be cut some slack. And in this instance, he needs some. He’s shown that.

Richardson seems to be handling this rather well.

8. noqrtrgvn says: Jun 20, 2012 3:01 PM

Better be nice and show Jim some respect, or he’ll slap you around like you’re his girlfriend.

9. otistaylor89 says: Jun 20, 2012 3:06 PM

Boom, roasted….OK, not quite.

I actually love this guy and I’m not even a Browns fan.

10. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Jun 20, 2012 3:09 PM

Atta boy, Trent. You don’t need Jim Brown’s endorsement to be successful in the NFL or in life, period. Work hard and stay humble and the people of Cleveland will love you.

11. jackblackshairyback says: Jun 20, 2012 3:11 PM

Good for Trent!

Don’t get hooked into letting the media make a story out of your attitude. Handle it with class and humility, and prove you are not ordinary starting in September.

12. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jun 20, 2012 3:14 PM

doesn’t matter. he’s gone in 4 years or whenever his contract is done. no one wants to play for them. don’t see that changing anytime soon. biggest mistake they’ve made in the past decade was letting the current panthers off cord leave.

13. jetstizzi85 says: Jun 20, 2012 3:16 PM

Jim knows the franchise better than most. He is just trying not to get the fans hyped up so much after all the “great” players they have drafted in recent years. Tim Couch / Courtney Brown / Braylon Edwards / Gerald Warren / William Green / Winslow / Quinn – all were amazing in college, set records and did little to nothing with Cleveland to live up to that same hype.

It was and still is premature of Jim but in all honesty, we do not know how good or bad Trent is until he plays a down in the NFL.

14. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 20, 2012 3:17 PM

In a year or 2 Jim Brown will be singing a different tune…something along the lines of: “Well, I knew the kid was special, I just wanted to fire him up a bit…”

15. spytdi says: Jun 20, 2012 3:24 PM

You don’t earn respect by being a great running back.

16. blitzburgh32 says: Jun 20, 2012 3:25 PM

Hey Trent…. If your going to break his records you better get stared

Vandalism smashed up the windows of his wife’s 1994 Honda Accord with a shovel (15-Jun-1999)
    Death Threats allegedly threatened to snap Monique’s neck, acquitted (15-Jun-1999)
    Domestic Violence 1986 (charge dropped)
    Assault 1985 (charge dropped)
    Rape 1985 (charge dropped)
    Sexual Battery 1985 (charge dropped)
    Battery allegedly choked a golf partner (1978)
    Assault allegedly beat up a man after a traffic accident, acquitted (1969)
    Assault allegedly threw his fiancee off a balcony, charge dropped (1968)
    Resisting Arrest 1968
    Assault accused of raping an 18-year-old, found innocent (1965)
    Battery accused of raping an 18-year-old, found innocent (1965)

17. flapjackdaddy says: Jun 20, 2012 3:25 PM

“At the same time, he’s Jim Brown, perhaps the greatest running back of all time. Treating him with a little respect is still in order.”

Are you insinuating that Richardson was out of line?

18. neelydrew says: Jun 20, 2012 3:33 PM

Hasn’t Jim Brown had that attitude for about 40 years now?

I think the last line MUST be saying that Trent Richardson WAS respectful. He was pretty humble here in the face of a town hero needlessly tearing him down:

“But he’s Jim Brown. He’s done a lot here and I haven’t done anything yet. I have a lot to accomplish and big shoes to fill.

19. mazenblue says: Jun 20, 2012 3:35 PM

Barry Sanders, greatest running back ever.

Don’t worry about the grumpy old man. We all wish we was back in our day.

20. CKL says: Jun 20, 2012 3:36 PM

So basically, Richardson, the young guy, is the grownup in this situation. Good for him!

JB crapped all over the organization long before Richardson was drafted so in my book, he should reap what he sowed respect wise.

21. dublindemonszfl says: Jun 20, 2012 3:46 PM

Jim Brown should just go away. You’re too old, your opinions are old. Sit back and cheer, if you wanted more spot light you should not have quit, but you did, you quit. On your team and your fans. Why should Trent Richardson ever have to hear from some old man. Trent is going to tear up the league AP style. In todays game Brown would be ordinary if he could make the squad.

You don’t hear Barry Sqanders talking bad about anybody, ever. Shut Jim Brown

22. howiehandles says: Jun 20, 2012 3:48 PM

How was Trent being disrespectful? If anything, how he handled it was spot on. I hope he shuts Brown’s mouth..but doubt that will ever happen.

23. warhammer420 says: Jun 20, 2012 3:49 PM

Jim Brown is overrated. Barry Sanders is the best RB ever.

24. klumpofbrownsadness says: Jun 20, 2012 3:53 PM

TR’s comments don’t come off as disrespectful, and he seems to recognize that he needs to prove himself all over again – I’m pretty confident that it will happen. TR comes across as having some class, and while I do consider JB to be the best running back in the history of the NFL, the word classy doesn’t jump out in my mind.

Responding to the poster citing JB’s impressive list of dropped charges, acquittals, etc., if JB hadn’t done for the Browns what he did on the field, I suspect he’d be cellmates with OJ about now.

25. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 20, 2012 3:57 PM

I guess blitzburgh32 is keeping it real on this one, huh. I think Big Ben has a good start, gotta finish strong though.

26. thedano says: Jun 20, 2012 4:00 PM

Jim Brown, great running back (not the best ever), but great.

But a huge weinie otherwise. Just sayin

27. prmpft says: Jun 20, 2012 4:21 PM

brown is obviously suffering from dementia brought on by concussions – he should sue the nfl.

28. getthegleam says: Jun 20, 2012 4:23 PM

Sorry, but just because he was great at a game does not mean he deserves my respect. Great at a game and a turd in life..and you say he deserves respect?

I give respect to those who have treated me with respect.

29. rdrs68 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:27 PM

Is old Jim worried about his leagcy being displaced by someone with the potential to be the best RB in franchise history? Get over it Jim- we all hope to not hear from you as you are enjoying your retirement and basking in your past glories.

30. clu1perceiver says: Jun 20, 2012 4:42 PM

While Jim Brown was blunt in his judgment of Richardson he provided examples of the characteristics that, in his opinion, makes a back standout from the crowd. Despite Brown’s brusque manner and lack of humility, the points he makes, though quite high, are goals for Richardson to strive for.

31. miserablesince99 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:54 PM

Jims the best ever. Barry is close but he is not Jim Brown. Give Jimmy 16 game seasons and then see where he ends up on all time rushing list. Jims got more td’s (rushing and recieving) and averages more yards per game and per carry.

32. cjburke711 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:59 PM

Jim Brown just has a bad attitude, always has. TR said all of the right things about just needing to do what he has to do.
    JB just craves attention. If he were playing in today’s league he would just be a sullen big RB. Walter Payton was by FAR a better back and a much better team player. Barry Sanders would make Brown look slow and angry.

33. matthewcarlson1 says: Jun 20, 2012 4:59 PM

I dont get why everyone gives Brown so much respect.. todays average runningbacks are better than he was

34. therealtrenches says: Jun 20, 2012 4:59 PM

If a guy’s not careful, he can let this kind of thing follow him through his career. Think of Donovan McNabb, for example, who never got over being booed at the draft.

My guess is that Richardson won’t be talking about this ten years from now, the way McNabb continued to mention his off-field rookie trauma.

35. ibottpsgoldpants says: Jun 20, 2012 5:07 PM

Yeah, show Jim some respect. He’s been a great mentor to backs like Maurice Clarrett and…..ahh, nevermind….strike that.

Why does anyone care what this guy says anymore? He WAS great. Now he’s just trying to extend his 15 minutes.

36. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jun 20, 2012 5:11 PM

Jim Brown may be one of the greatest runningbacks of all time. However, his words/actions make him come across as a vindictive used-to-be-somebody with a major case of sour grapes. Brown is the one who disrespected Trent Richardson in his attempt to paint Mike Holmgren/the Browns in a negative light. I think Trent used an amazing amount of restraint/class…. giving Brown more respect than he actually deserves in this situation.

37. vincentbojackson says: Jun 20, 2012 5:25 PM

Good for Richardson. Personally, I would have went with the “who’s Jim Brown?” blast.

Nothing would hurt more to a guy that is desperately trying to remain relevant.

38. mikefoxtrot says: Jun 20, 2012 6:09 PM

treating Brown with some respect for his accomplishments on the field is in order.

having respect for Brown’s opinions…….not so much.

39. depleted00uranium00balth says: Jun 20, 2012 6:44 PM

Brown was great back when people in the NFL were half as fast and 2/3 as big.

Plug him into today’s NFL and he would be lucky to be average.

Fact.

40. miserablesince99 says: Jun 20, 2012 7:06 PM

6 2 230 4.5 speed. Give him todays technology and weight lifting regiment and he would still be amazing. People dont realize he was an amazing athelete. Widely considered the best lacrosse player ever I think he would manage just fine in todays nfl when guys like Peyton Hillis rush for over 1000 yards.

41. toolkien says: Jun 20, 2012 7:58 PM

I certainly hope the Pack get the honors for Favre done tout de suite so we can get to the warm glow of Legend/current team dynamic. Toss in Joe Namath too. Can’t beat those Legends…

42. Kave Krew says: Jun 20, 2012 9:05 PM

Where was the disrespect?

Is it considered disrespectful if you don’t kiss Jim Brown’s butt?

I like Jim Brown, but I am tired of Jim Brown – he hasn’t been in the arena for so long — if Jim knows best, then coach/GM the Browns to the promised land — otherwise, SHUT UP

43. koolfootball says: Jun 20, 2012 10:15 PM

Trent Richardson = class act

With an attitude like that and a great work ethic he will be a star as long as the browns don’t run him into the ground.

44. justwaittilnextyear says: Jun 20, 2012 11:06 PM

Jim Brown go away, far far away. Stay in California making movies…how did that work for ya?

45. bearsstillsuck says: Jun 20, 2012 11:19 PM

I think brown is a better evaluator of the position than me, so I’ll refer to him.

46. greekgodfather says: Jun 21, 2012 12:02 AM

Jim Brown has being tainting his legend for years now. He’s coming across as a bitter old man for whatever reason and, even though I value the opinions of people who have been there and done that, he is totally off base on just about anything he chooses to address. I remember some years back when his yardage record was a few yards away from being broken he had declared that he was coming out of retirement. It’s just this kind of megalomaniac tendencies that make Jim Brown the man a much lesser personality than Jim Brown the awesome player he was.

47. codysteeler says: Jun 21, 2012 12:57 AM

The browns are smart…. They pay jim brown to make a comment so that a week later the coaches/players can comment, so that the browns can stay in the news….its brilliant!

48. akd1287 says: Jun 21, 2012 1:10 AM

Didn’t Jim Brown play like a million years ago? I highly doubt anyone that knows how to use a computer saw Jim Brown play a down. This guy is suppose to respect a guy who insults him? Why? Because JB ran for a bunch of yards when every other player on the field wasn’t even remotely close to being as physically gifted as he was. Try doing that run through players BS today and you end up like A. Peterson. No way he puts up the same numbers today.

49. robertallen1958 says: Jun 21, 2012 8:22 AM

I just wonder, in his prime, how Jim Brown would fair against today linemen and linebackers? would he be great? or ordinary? that is a question to ponder, I think ole Jim should keep his opinions to himself unless someone is paying for them, personally I would hazard a guess that the “great” Jim Brown would be really an “ordinary” player in today’s NFL. And to the Argument about the “best ever” here is my 2 cents, to decide who is the “best” just look in the “record” book, it’s all right there, no argument required, it’s easy, it’s Emmit, period, argue that!

50. nellusmagnus says: Jun 21, 2012 8:26 AM

Jim Brown loves the Cleveland Browns and he wants to see this team successful again. I see this as his way of motivating TR to be the best he can be. He’s throwing down the challenge and TR will accept.

51. urbusted2 says: Jun 21, 2012 2:20 PM

As a Browns fan, I see Jim Brown as a angry man. He’s mad at the Browns, so he’s taking it out on Trent. Too bad.

52. NoobTubeTV says: Jun 21, 2012 3:48 PM

TR is on his way to being a class act in this league. Browns fans everywhere have a damn good reason to cheer at least a little this year.