AFL-CIO quickly rejects request to expel NFLPA

Trumka620_615_320_s_c1 Getty Images

The NFLPA didn’t officially respond to the effort by 20 former players to expel the union from the AFL-CIO, perhaps because it didn’t need to.

AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka has rejected the request, communicated in a letter written by lawyer Michael Hausfeld, to kick the football players’ union out of the organization.

“The claims of Mr. Hausfeld are simply misguided and unfounded,” Trumka said in a statement released by the AFL-CIO.  “We should all applaud the fierce advocacy the NFLPA has demonstrated for its members, and for all working people.  Under the leadership of DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA has represented its members to secure significant gains for both active and former players including the unprecedented Legacy Benefit which alone will provide $620 million to former players over the course of the agreement.  There is no doubt that the labor movement is stronger with the affiliation of the NFLPA.  Mr. Hausfeld’s same arguments were thrown out decisively by a judge only a few weeks ago, and are no differently viewed today.”

So there you have it.  On the very same day the request was made, the request was rejected.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
11 Responses to “AFL-CIO quickly rejects request to expel NFLPA”
  1. dryzzt23 says: Jun 21, 2012 5:26 PM

I bet they are told that the union is “non-partisan”.

2. talkintrashallday says: Jun 21, 2012 5:40 PM

what?

3. saklr1 says: Jun 21, 2012 5:44 PM

Can September just get here already?

4. billinlouisiana says: Jun 21, 2012 6:22 PM

dryzzt23 says:

————————————————–

The problem is that whil;e no player is required to join the NFLPA those that don’t still have to pay the equivalant in annual dues as a “service fee”. The CBA actually requires teams to automatically collect that from the players checks. This is spelled out in Article 47 section 1 of the CBA.

5. lostsok says: Jun 21, 2012 8:50 PM

“If I were an NFL player I would never join that union unless they agreed to never give money to political parties”

And what about Democrats/liberals who work for companies whose billionaire CEOs give COMPANY money to the GOP? Should they quit their jobs, risking their families well-being, for their political views?

That’s a clown comment, bro.

6. backindasaddle says: Jun 21, 2012 8:57 PM

US Supreme court ruling today: ‘Knox vs SEIU Local 1000′

Huge

7. blackqbwhiterb says: Jun 21, 2012 10:03 PM

Truth is, the AFL-CIO is already on a steady decline, outside of its government union members….they can’t afford to kick anyone out.

8. rodgers419 says: Jun 21, 2012 10:17 PM

“I wonder if the NFL players who are conservative/Republican, have fully been informed about the AFL-CIO supporting the democrats 100%.

I bet they are told that the union is “non-partisan”.

The union supports those that support it. Why would a union donate money to the people hell bent on destroying it?

9. mwindle1973 says: Jun 21, 2012 10:29 PM

dryzzt23 says: Jun 21, 2012 5:26 PM

I bet they are told that the union is “non-partisan”.

___________________________________

I wonder if you realize that a large number of Republicans want to do away with unions. Who do expect the union to support. When you support a political parties needs ($$$) they support yours when you need them. Just ask the energy industry, or wall street. Of course unions give money hand over fist to the Democrats, they are in a fight to exist.

10. dolphins4 says: Jun 22, 2012 3:39 AM

These unions are only worried about taking your money and giving it to the socialists and they are useing labor as an excuse to cover up their liberal agenda.

11. jcg23 says: Jun 22, 2012 3:49 AM

Unions have for years now given more to campaigns that any corporation you can shake a stick at. Which is why Obama was so mad when the law that made it illegal for them to do so, was taken away.