James Jones is finding the Packers depth chart pretty crowded

James+Jones+Green+Bay+Packers+v+Carolina+Panthers+ICYW7xeCDGsl Getty Images

The Packers’ depth chart at receiver is filed under nice problems to have.

With Donald Driver back in the fold, the Packers have returned all five of the players who helped Aaron Rodgers post the highest single-season passer rating in history. Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Driver create problems for defenses, but they also make it hard to keep everyone involved in the offense over the course of a season. Adding to the roster crush are Diondre Borel and Tori Gurley, two 2011 practice squadders who earned strong notices and interest from other teams without ever getting on the field for the Packers.

And we haven’t even mentioned tight end Jermichael Finley. Basically, there isn’t a lot up for grabs in that department.

The Packers have mostly put a sunny face on the situation, but Jones admitted this week that it can be a bit frustrating to be part of such a deep group. Jones re-signed with the Packers as a free agent last summer and then saw his numbers drop during the season. He told Paul Imig of FoxSportsWisconsin.com that he felt a bit like Rodney Dangerfield — “I still don’t get no respect around here” — and didn’t sound like he’d be too crestfallen if the occasional trade rumors involving him turned out to be true.

“I don’t know how good my trade value is,” Jones said. “I haven’t heard anything about trades or anything like that. I’m just here to play football. Whatever happens, happens. I don’t worry about all that stuff up top. If they came to me at my locker and said, ‘James, you’re going to the Cincinnati Bengals,’ I’d cry a little bit and then move on. You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. It’s a business.”

Jones isn’t asking for a trade and makes it clear that he’s willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win another Super Bowl. It’s only human to think about what things might be like somewhere else, though. His choice of the Bengals shows that when he thinks about those things, he’s grounding it in real life. The Bengals are looking for a receiver to play opposite A.J. Green and Jones could fill that role if the Packers decide not to keep the receiving corps intact this summer.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “James Jones is finding the Packers depth chart pretty crowded”
  1. rajbais says: Jun 21, 2012 10:05 AM

Trade him to Miami!!!!

The guy can really play and is awesome with back shoulder fades, a key feature in Joe Philbin’s West Coast offense!!!!

Plus, they’ll finally have a real receiver instead of that reality star wannabe in Chad Ochocinco!!!!

Dolphins fans, get this guy on your team and it will be better!!!

2. jrock3x8 says: Jun 21, 2012 10:07 AM

I have a solution for James Jones…

Get in your car,

drive south on 43 through Milwaukee
    to 94 through Chicago
    to 57, exit 315,
    drive to ONU,
    introduce self to Lovie Smith,
    be happy.

I’ll be here all week solving NFL player problems…

3. millertime30 says: Jun 21, 2012 10:08 AM

He’d make a nice Laurent Robinson replacement in Dallas, depending on the price tag.

4. aaronitout says: Jun 21, 2012 10:10 AM

Thompson won’t trade him. This is the NFL , you can go from having a lot of depth at one position to being short-handed very quickly.

5. medtxpack says: Jun 21, 2012 10:20 AM

i would hate to trade him but i bet GB could get some true value for him.

6. boiler72 says: Jun 21, 2012 10:22 AM

Ted Thompson and his scouts – they don’t get it right every time, but they’re good enough. To build a perennial contender, you have to have a good front office and a coaching staff that can develop the players they bring to town. I’d be shocked if this regime doesn’t win another title or two in Green Bay, as long as they’re still there.

7. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jun 21, 2012 10:54 AM

My question is how did James Jones not grasp these obvious realities when he elected to re-sign his contract last year with the Packers?

If the guy wanted to take more of a lead role, which he could have easily gotten by signing elsewhere, how could he have not consider these long-glaring factors? JJ even signed AFTER Cobb was selected, so he had to, or should have, known.

8. jessethegreat says: Jun 21, 2012 11:04 AM

This is how you handle with distractions or frustrations on the team if you’re the player. Keep them internal… do your job, and let your agent handle the negociations and demands.

9. oldassgoat1 says: Jun 21, 2012 11:09 AM

If they told him he was going to the Cincinnati Bengals, he’d cry more than a little bit.

10. lyden11 says: Jun 21, 2012 11:13 AM

Trade him to the Browns for Colt McCoy. But that makes way too much sense for both team to actually happen…

11. jimmysee says: Jun 21, 2012 11:34 AM

James truly finds himself in a vice — with Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson on one side, Randall Cobb, Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel on the other, Donald Driver turning the screw, and Jermichael Finley watching off from the sidelines.

A trade makes sense — with Miami a good target.

Draft picks are mother’s milk to Ted Thompson.

A third and a sixth might do it.

12. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Jun 21, 2012 11:48 AM

Maybe you should have thought about that last year when you were a free agent but decided to go back to Green Bay.

13. marvin1958 says: Jun 21, 2012 1:00 PM

Living in the Green Bay media market (does not include Milwaukee), I will state categorically that NOTHING James Jones said should be construed as “whining”. His observations were candid and to the point without so much as a trace of animosity or jealousy. James Jones is a good guy and a good teammate – he was not complaining … he was just ‘sayin’.

It’s a little tiring reading the stuff in the national media outlets (including the Milwaukee media) after watching the player comments on the TV news the night before. No kidding, it makes me wonder if I was watching the same comments being made when I read the next day’s print stories.

14. judsonjr says: Jun 21, 2012 1:43 PM

The only reason I can think that he came back to GB was that no one was offering a decent contract. My guess is that the only offers were 4.0-4.5M a year from terrible teams or teams lacking at QB.

So he took the 3M per year to play for a good team and QB. However, Finley came back and Jordy supplanted him as the #3 option, leaving him out in the cold as a 4th/5th option. My guess is he figured he still be the 3rd option (or co-option) with Nelson.

I think I’d just keep the guy. He had some good games last year where the defensive scheme dictated he was the open guy. In particular he is good for going 4 wide near the endzone. Whoever covers him will be a mismatch, and he has a bigger body than Cobb to deal with catches in traffic or shield a defender from the ball.

15. stavreafavre says: Jun 21, 2012 3:53 PM

They also have an incredibly athletic undrafted rookie wideout named Moss who may well land on the practice squad this year. Thompson really should try to trade at least one of the WRs, whether for a draft pick or some help at Safety or for McCoy. Otherwise the Packers are going to be putting at least two receivers on the street who could make the final roster of most other teams.

16. morgan420 says: Jun 21, 2012 6:12 PM

WHO-DEY!!!!!!!!

17. gpack17 says: Jun 21, 2012 8:14 PM

ialwayswantedtobeabanker says:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:54 AM

————————————————-

The problematic depth of the Packer’s receiving core was something he brought up last year, being especially dismayed, if I remember right, that DD was going to play until he was 40. Consequently he did test the free agent market and, after a few weeks out there with little interest shown, he re-signed with the Packers to the surprise of many. Most thought he would be gone and Cobb was drafted to be his replacement. I guess NFL GMs figured Jones’s success had more to do with Rodgers and the system than his own talents. Frankly I hope we don’t trade him. Our receiver depth and ability to toss out multiple packages is what makes the offense so deadly. He’s good for a huge play once every couple of games.

18. vikescry1 says: Jun 21, 2012 9:28 PM

ialwayswantedtobeabanker says:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:54 AM

My thinking in summer of ’11 was, JJ re-upped in Green Bay – he must not care about being in a crowded receiving corps. Now, he’s airing gripes about – so one has to wonder if it was a concern, what was he thinking? ————————————————————————————————————————————————– I agree with this comment, but my question is??? not only did he come back after they picked cobb, jordy nelson had a great year last year. so if your that good how did he pass you up jj? maybe somebody needs to work a little harder… just my thought

19. packerfanfordecades says: Jun 22, 2012 2:09 AM

I think this year James is going to have a spectacular catch deep in the end zone in the Super Bowl. That will cause confusion and distraction on the AFL side and then the AFL team will fumble the kick-off and on the next play Cobb will catch one just off the line of scrimage and cut across the field for another 6 points.

Then the Pack will recover an on-sides kick and Rogers will hit Driver on a slant and he’ll go 58 yards for another six points. Three plays three touchdowns. 21-0 for the Pack before the AFL team has an offensive play. You read it here first.

I don’t know what’s going to happen in the last half of the first quarter nor in quarters 2 – 4. Should be interesting.