Johnny Knox unsure when he’ll be able to return

Seattle Seahawks v Chicago Bears Getty Images

When Bears receiver Johnny Knox suffered an ugly back injury on December 18, it looked like it would be a long time before he’d be able to play again. And six months later it still looks that way.

Knox told reporters today that he has to exercise patience and make sure his rehab is progressing at the right schedule, and that it’s too early for any prediction about when he might be able to get on the field again.

I’m just taking it day by day,” Knox said, via ESPN.com. “No rush. Like I’ve said, rehab is going well. I’m not trying to rush things and mess things up any worse, so I’m just taking it day by day.”

Knox said he can jog but can’t run full speed, and he has a lot of work to do before he has his strength back.

“There’s still a ways to go,” Knox said. “Just get stronger, that’s my main goal right now. No rush. I’m going by what the trainers and the doctors say and that’s what I’m going to go by.”

After a serious back injury, the cautious approach is clearly the right approach. But the cautious approach likely means Knox won’t see the field in 2012.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Johnny Knox unsure when he’ll be able to return”
  1. damaddhatter29 says: Jun 22, 2012 3:22 PM

No rush Johnny. In what appears to be an all of a sudden crowded position, let them weed the bad players out. Come back next year and take your place back.

2. titanryan says: Jun 22, 2012 3:24 PM

Man it was a NASTY looking injury. Nice to hear a return is probably and that he’s progressing.

3. garyreazons55 says: Jun 22, 2012 3:25 PM

Hate to say it, but I don’t think Knox will ever be the same. That injury has caused equal damage psychologically as well as physically.

Won’t run the same, won’t catch the same.

4. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 22, 2012 3:34 PM

I’m just glad he’ll be able to resume playing. What a horrifying injury!

5. LilTmac2003 says: Jun 22, 2012 3:35 PM

It was a brutal injury, and whenever you discuss spinal injuries, it’s always going to take a long time.

I wish Knox & his family the best, and wishing him a quick and easy recovery!

6. trollhammer20 says: Jun 22, 2012 3:36 PM

When they showed the replay of that hit, and I saw exactly how far back he bent, I thought he’d be lucky to walk again, let alone play football. Most gruesome injury I’ve ever seen, and that includes Theismann’s leg.

Glad you’re up and about, Johnny. Take it easy, count your blessings, and maybe you can get back out in 2013.

7. pencilmonkeymagic says: Jun 22, 2012 3:54 PM

What trollhammer said.

8. seanx40 says: Jun 22, 2012 3:59 PM

The fact that he is walking is amazing to me. Really, playing football again is just extra now.

9. bluefan204 says: Jun 22, 2012 4:05 PM

I’ll never forget seeing that happen to him. One of the worst injuries of all time, and I’m so glad that he’s able to even walk today, nevermind still considering playing football again. It certainly didn’t look like a possibility when he was first hurt.

Take your time, Johnny. The game isn’t going anywhere.

10. wcdolphan says: Jun 22, 2012 4:23 PM

Just take it easy knox, no rush!!! The packers will make sure the bears don’t go anywhere with or without you!!!!!!!!

11. quicktaker says: Jun 22, 2012 4:26 PM

I am a big fan of Johnny and his ability but I hope the guy hangs it up. I can’t imagine that injury won’t hamper him for the rest of his life.

12. wipackman1265 says: Jun 22, 2012 4:31 PM

All rivalry aside I am rooting for this guy to recover and get back in the games or retire healthy… he’s a fine player !!

13. aldavis4president says: Jun 22, 2012 4:52 PM

GIT BETTER SOON KNOX! DNT RUSH IT! CUZ DA NFL WILL NOT care if ur reinjure urself!

@ Wcdolphan ..Not a bears or packers fan buuutt…watching da way da packers defended (didn’t defend) last year nd wit da additions of bmarsh and Michael Bush…its not gna b as easy as it Waz! Trust me!

14. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jun 22, 2012 8:10 PM

Watching that injury was scary…he’s fortunate that a return to football is even possible. There are lots of people who are confined to a wheelchair for the rest of their lives after that type mechanism of injury. Hopefully he listens to his doctors & doesn’t try to do too much too soon. It would be a damn shame if he re-injures his back (might not be as lucky the second time). I hope he makes a full recovery.

15. southbeachtalent says: Jun 22, 2012 9:44 PM

I agree with most on here, my lower back was literally in pain just watching! Glad to hear he is jogging. Most of us would never walk, let alone run after that.

16. mgfred says: Jun 23, 2012 12:16 AM

I hope for his sake that Johnny really thinks hard before making a return to football. As a spinal injury victim myself, I value so much what I have left, I would never endanger it..

17. seehoxrun says: Jun 23, 2012 4:53 AM

I wonder if hargove thought he was gonna get paid for that cart off