Legendary Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski honored with McCann Award

9949178-large

Anyone who ever met Tom Kowalski knew him as “Killer.”

But now, his name will be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, according to his former co-workers at MLive.com

The former Lions beat writer was honored posthumously Friday with the Dick McCann Memorial Award from the Pro Football Writers Association, which recognizes a reporter who has made a long and distinguished contribution to pro football through coverage.

The award will be presented during the Enshrinees’ Gold Jacket Dinner in August, during the 2012 Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Festival.

Kowalski died of a heart attack last year at 51, after more than 30 years in the news business. The team has honored his memory by naming the media workroom after him, but his spirit was as big as an entire stadium.

“I miss Tom’s work,” said Fox Sports Detroit’s Mike O’Hara, who was The Detroit News’ longtime Lions beat writer. “I miss his presence even more. Thirty years of arguing, insulting, laughing and some serious talk was a great experience, but I’d like 30 more. His dedication to covering the game of football was unmatched.”

Kowalski was an institution in Detroit, and now his name will be etched alongside the legends of the newspaper business.

He deserved it years ago, and in his passing, we realize how much so.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Legendary Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski honored with McCann Award”
  1. lionsfan415 says: Jun 22, 2012 11:25 AM

We miss you killer

2. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 22, 2012 11:44 AM

I hate the Lions with a passion but this guy was one of the best when I went to school in Grand Rapids, MI. Well deserved.

3. lionfan419 says: Jun 22, 2012 11:54 AM

just for killer and the mlive peeps.
    “FRIST”

Miss you Killer!

4. robertallen says: Jun 22, 2012 11:56 AM

It’s just not the same without you, Uncle Killer. I wish you were here right now.

Miss you greatly!

5. darthhitman77 says: Jun 22, 2012 12:06 PM

WOW, bearsrulepackdrool is from GR? I’m from KZoo man…but your team can STILL kiss my backside with some tongue yo

6. spartyfi says: Jun 22, 2012 12:06 PM

I miss Killers writing. I don’t visit the MLive site near as much and never tune in to the radio show on iHeart now that he’s gone. You’re still missed big man and always will be!

7. michiganhockey11 says: Jun 22, 2012 12:29 PM

Miss seeing you on fox2 Killer. Will be missed for sure.

8. tigers182 says: Jun 22, 2012 12:42 PM

“He deserved it years ago, and in his passing, we realize how much so.”

Perfect quote. Killer was one of the best at his job ever.

9. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 22, 2012 1:00 PM

“So, I hear they call you ‘Killer’ “, said Coronary Occlusion, somewhat contemptuously.

10. adderalljack says: Jun 22, 2012 2:16 PM

Dude was quite the character.
    Made you laugh, made you think, and broke things down (almost) perfectly “Listen and learnnn…”.
    Yeah, Uncle Killer was the best. Miss you, big guy!

11. suicidalionsfan says: Jun 22, 2012 2:37 PM

I once traveled from Detroit metro area to watch Lions play the Packers in Green Bay. Went to a bar there and saw Killer. I walked up and introduced myself, had a cold beer with him. He treated me like he knew for many years. What a cool dude.

12. addendum123 says: Jun 22, 2012 2:50 PM

This is a great honor for Detroit’s history of strong sportswriters. I think it’s a necessary addition to remind readers that the Dick McCann Memorial Award was also given to a writer from Detroit back in 2005: Jerry Green of the Detroit News. Congrats for Killer though!

13. assklown says: Jun 22, 2012 3:14 PM

I am glad such an amazing writer is being honored. I am a life long Lions fan and it is nice to see that he was so well respected.

Hover over the Named Will be enshrined link and look at the name. I LOL’d.

14. spartaninnh says: Jun 22, 2012 5:49 PM

RIP, Killer. You are missed. Who is left to tell us to sleep well, and dream of large women?

15. ee00ee says: Jun 22, 2012 10:59 PM

I too miss Killer. Mlive hasn’t been the same without his inaccurate speculations, blatant self gratifying patting of himself on the back when he did get something right, and best of all the constant changing of time stamp on articles so his were often at the top of the page. They say not to speak ill of the dead so I wont refer to his writing style itself. I sure did appreciate his loyalty and passion tho.