Norv Turner puts Eddie Royal in some good company

Eddie+Royal+Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Denver+Broncos+twsty3p7Cz4l Getty Images

The Chargers have the same quarterback that they’ve had for several years, but their passing game is going to look very different this season.

Vincent Jackson is gone and the team signed four veteran wide receivers this offseason. Roscoe Parrish and Micheal Spurlock will need to fight for snaps, but Robert Meachem will likely start and Eddie Royal is also ticketed for a major role. Charger coach Norv Turner didn’t hold anything back when sharing his thoughts about Royal.

“He’s a real smooth receiver,” Turner said, via Tom Sheridan of the North County Times. “He reminds me of Charlie Joiner, and reminds me of Henry Ellard, guys that I’ve been around. He’s very deceptive. And sometimes he doesn’t look like he’s going that fast, and he’s hauling.”

Pretty good company for a player who has 201 catches over the first four years of his career. Joiner’s exploits with the Chargers led him to the Hall of Fame and Ellard ranks ninth on the NFL’s all-time receiving yards list, with both men posting career averages of more than 16 yards a catch at a time that saw less prolific passing attacks around the league. Royal is just a shade over 10 in that metric, although Joiner and Ellard both have similar builds to Royal.

Sheridan reports that Royal “could become the safety valve” that Philip Rivers missed with Darren Sproles‘ departure. That would be a welcome development for the Chargers offense, although it would take a bit more than that for Royal to reach the level of Joiner and Ellard.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
8 Responses to “Norv Turner puts Eddie Royal in some good company”
  1. dcbassguy says: Jun 22, 2012 5:56 PM

I’m excited to see what Mr. Royal has, now that he’s back with a real QB.

2. boltsup says: Jun 22, 2012 5:57 PM

I was hurt when we dumped VJ… But I like our WR Corp alot if Meachem can become a bigger WR than in NO, Eddie Royal is underrated and will be the slot we have yearned for since the great “Eric Parker” , Malcolm Floyd healthy is a top 10 vertical threat in the league, Vincent Brown is looking to bust out this year…. This is probably our most deepest year at wide especially if Roscoe can add to it

3. peytonsneck18 says: Jun 22, 2012 6:05 PM

san diego signed a bunch of kick/punt returners as wide recievers, that doesnt scare any other team in the nfl or scare any db’s, only threat they have is Gates, but he will be double teamed all the time like sasha grey!!!

4. sourdough says: Jun 22, 2012 6:40 PM

It is hard to argue w Norv considering the players he’s coached and/or studied during his time as an NFL coach. Whether he’s spot on w Royal being similar to Joiner & Ellard will have to wait until the regular season. That being said, Royal should post solid numbers should he find the holes Gates, Meachem & Floyd open up under Norv’s offensive schemes.

5. tanzim12 says: Jun 22, 2012 6:54 PM

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again , the Chargers should be Super Bowl contenders every year with the roster that they have. Phillip Rivers is a tremendous QB. As long as Norv Turner is the HC I see this team constantly struggling to win their division. He’s a lot like Wade Phillips when he was HC of Dallas. These guys are great coordinaters but as head coaches they hurt the team. Look at Wade Phillips when he was in Dallas as opposed to now as the Defensive coordinater for the Texans.

6. jameslongstaffe says: Jun 22, 2012 7:40 PM

Eddie Royal will help to replace Darren Sproles, & he is a great player. When I saw him play with Denver, I was worried about him. Now he plays for the Chargers & he will make other teams worry. I like that

7. propertyofthebroncos says: Jun 23, 2012 11:25 AM

I hate the Chargers more now. I loved Royal on my team and hate that he plays for the enemy now. Time to face reality and get rid of his jersey. While I wish nothing bad on him I won’t root for him either while he’s in our conference.

8. reasonableeaglefan says: Jun 23, 2012 10:57 PM

He reminds me of a poor man’s Desean Jackson but with consistent QB play his upside is probably similar