Here’s a chance to judge the Hargrove video for yourself

Anthony Hargrove AP

The question of what the notorious sideline video from the 2009 NFC title game does — and doesn’t — show continues to stir debate.  The NFL believes it conclusively shows former Saints defensive end Anthony Hargrove saying, after informed that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre may have suffered a broken leg, “Bobby, give me my money.”  Hargrove says it’s not him saying, “Give me my money.”

And if you’re still saying something like, “Show me the ‘give me my money,'” we aim to please.

We secured permission from the league office to play during PFT Live the video that was shown at the June 18 appeal hearings and thereafter to the media.  And so we did.  Multiple times.

Here’s three looks at the video, with three different explanations of what to look for while watching it.

Watch all three, and then post in the comments what you saw.  And what you didn’t see.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Videos
51 Responses to “Here’s a chance to judge the Hargrove video for yourself”
  1. radbob1 says: Jun 23, 2012 9:05 AM

Hargrove says “Bobby”.
    Ayodele says “Give me my money”, his body movement matches perfectly.

Another case of NFL investigators dropping the ball.
    Was Ayodele even interviewed as part of the investigation?

2. roadbiscuit says: Jun 23, 2012 9:06 AM

Well, okay, this is kind of fun. But why is Earl Heyman being ignored? He was there. He says it wasn’t Hargrove.

3. realtimeeyes says: Jun 23, 2012 9:19 AM

ummm…is it just me..you can clearly see Hargrove’s lips move and say bobby before his head goes out of camera..And after listening to it a couple of times, the voice matches as well.

4. Keith says: Jun 23, 2012 9:19 AM

It all comes back to motivation…what is Hargrove’s motivation to say “give me my money”? He wasn’t even in on the play that could have taken Favre out of the game…

And while we’re on the subject of motivation…has anyone else thought it just the least bit suspicious that there was never a name applied to the “give me my money” audio until Hargrove came out with his accusations about his declaration?

5. huffwx says: Jun 23, 2012 9:24 AM

Goodell should be embarrassed of this on every level. This is not proof of Hargrove doing anything. Further, it seems clear the Saints had a “pay for performance” program that had a bounty label to get the guys fired up. From the eyeball test, the amount of injuries were NOT higher in Saints games . I’d like to see someone run a statistical analysis of hits to injuries and personal fouls compared to the rest of league.

With that, I concede that they need to end these programs to confront the concussion issue and other litigation issue. However, the lack disclosure and huge gaps in their argument makes it look like a total sham.

Absolute Power corrupts– which is what Roger Goodell has. And, Man has he been sloppy with it.

6. nypd1056 says: Jun 23, 2012 9:25 AM

Is it possible the NFL did a voice comparison???

7. kmg1016 says: Jun 23, 2012 9:30 AM

Looks pretty obvious that it was Ayodele saying “Give me my money.” And of course, there’s the simple matter that it was Ayodele – and not Hargrove – who delivered the hit to Favre.

8. buzmeg says: Jun 23, 2012 9:34 AM

After watching this clip, how can anyone have the nerve to accuse anyone. Another case of “guilty until proven innocent.”

9. The Prophet says: Jun 23, 2012 9:35 AM

It’s funny how the Saints have been tricked into not even denying they used bounties at this point, they just have them disputing which Saint said what. I’m waiting for Hargrove to say “that wasn’t me on that tape, I didn’t say ‘give me my money’ until the 4th quart—ooops.”

10. dagroovydude116 says: Jun 23, 2012 9:40 AM

Why can’t they do a fancy shmancy voice analysis like they did in Saw VI (I think it was 6…) to identify whose voice it is.

Oh right but the cost of that would be astronomical and the NFL doesn’t really have a lot of money to kick around on such trivial matters.

11. roadbiscuit says: Jun 23, 2012 9:42 AM

Keith says:

+1000

12. raidafan7 says: Jun 23, 2012 9:43 AM

It sounds like AYODELE. When you hear “Bobby” it sounds far away. “Give me my money” is a lower voice and sounds much closer. One thing for sure it’s not SMITH, why is he being suspended ? He is suspended for having a “C” on his chest.

13. electionconfidential says: Jun 23, 2012 9:50 AM

Doesn’t seem likely that it was Hargrove. Especially since he wasn’t in on the hit…

14. qdog112 says: Jun 23, 2012 9:51 AM

There are people who are convinced that Goodell is a genius, yet on this, why would a guy who’s not due any money, be asking for his money?

Yep, Goodell’s a genius alright.

15. randolph32 says: Jun 23, 2012 10:00 AM

What’s wrong with Goodell, isn’t he a lawyer? How can they bungle this thing so bad? Thanks jaw they had nothing to do with the Sandusky prosecution, or he would be walking the streets again!

16. clu1perceiver says: Jun 23, 2012 10:03 AM

Ball of Confusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. gbmickey says: Jun 23, 2012 10:09 AM

The reality here is it really doesnt matter if it was Hargrove or not. Would i like to see them get the right player, sure. In the grand scheme of things it was said by a Saint player. In most peoples minds it smells of a pay to injure. Instead of focusing on it wasnt Hargrove so everyone must be innocent defense lets hear a legitimate answer as to why it was said by a player.

18. roadbiscuit says: Jun 23, 2012 10:20 AM

I think the point is that if the NFL is sloppy or has been intentionally misleading re: the video and Hargrove, then why should all their other claims be accepted at face value?

I have no doubt that NO had a bounty program in operation and it was unlike any other. But the player penalties are based on specific claims, and those are no longer acceptable without seeing more real evidence.

19. crabboil says: Jun 23, 2012 10:27 AM

Maybe Remi was asking for his bonus check that everyone gets for playing in the conference game because he thought for sure the game was over at that point.

It might have been something people would consider at one point. However, due to the media saturation, every little thing is “clear cut evidence” of a bounty program.

20. geauxsaintsforever says: Jun 23, 2012 10:35 AM

Why would Hargrove say “pay me my money”? He didn’t even touch Favre on that play. ON the play where he injured his ankle, Favre was hit by McCray and Ayodele.

21. gtodriver says: Jun 23, 2012 10:46 AM

gbmickey says: “The reality here is it really doesnt matter if it was Hargrove or not.”

That’s a point that all the Saints backers who claim there is absolutely no evidence of a bounty system seem to be ignoring.

This is concrete evidence that there was a system in place for Saints players to be paid for knocking a player out of a game. It’s also concrete evidence that all players on the Saints had to be fully aware of the “pay for injury” program used by the Saints.

Hargrove (assuming it wasn’t him making the statement) claims that he knows who did say the infamous “give me my money”. I’m sure that had Hargrove participated in the process and disclosed the name of the person who did say it – that would have been to his advantage.

Instead, he lied, concealed, covered up…

Now it’s time to accept the full ramifications on his actions (or inactions).

22. stkurt says: Jun 23, 2012 10:47 AM

Hargrove says “Bobby” because he knew Bobby was in on the play. When things happen quickly on the field the players are not certain who was involved in the hit and in what fashion. He probably saw Bobby wrapped around Favre’s ankle at the end of the play and though he was the only one involved in the hit. From Remi’s body language it looks as though he says “give me my money” but it is impossible to prove this unless there is a camera on the other side of Remi.

23. butch815 says: Jun 23, 2012 10:49 AM

What the little spider monkey fails to mention is that Hargrove did hit Farve on several occasions. Yet Spider Monkey wants you to believe that the McCray and Ayodele hit was the only hit on Farve. ….Let it go Spider Monkey, Let it go.

24. atthemurph says: Jun 23, 2012 10:50 AM

This is all about the NFL developing a legal fall back that they were very concerned with player safety and did everything they could.

It has nothing to do with proving someone was guilty of trying to actually hurt players. It’s a legal gambit and damn the individual players who are getting screwed.

The NFL is only creating a defensible position for the lawsuit that will be coming regarding player safety. It’s feel good crap to throw at a future jury.

25. pftcensorssuck says: Jun 23, 2012 10:54 AM

Count me among those with an ounce of common sense who say: “it doesn’t matter WHO said ‘Bobby, give me my money’ …… whoever said it, it just confirms the fact there WAS a bounty system clearly in place”.

All the players are doing, and the Saints organization, the Saints fans, and the media as well, is splitting hairs over who specifically BENEFITTED from it.

This video may or may not exonorate Anthony Hargrove, but it sure as hell INDICTS the New Orleans Saints organization.

SOMEBODY paid SOMEONE to intentionally hurt an opponent and take him out of a game.

The video confirms that, regardless.

Deny THAT, people.

26. stairwayto7 says: Jun 23, 2012 11:00 AM

It was Drew Brees!

27. 10tender says: Jun 23, 2012 11:13 AM

If indeed hargrove said ‘Bobby’ and he countinued to talk as you can see in the video, and I do hope you do see that he continued to talk, never moving his head from the person he was speaking to, simply to start to mumble to be drown out by the guy next to him?

He said it.

Sorry Saints fans when one person(fujita) says ‘Yes,I have done that in the past and paid for those hits.’ It’s a culture on the football team and ignorant to think otherwise.

Here’s a old chestnut I hear alot these days……Goodel doesn’t want the saints in the superbowl in New Orleans because it won’t pay to have them in it…..

28. ernie ernie says: Jun 23, 2012 11:28 AM

Its a tough call. If I were on a jury could I not find him guilty of what I saw in the video which leads me to beleive the NFL has testamony from someone sitting there who said it was him, so there are two pieces of evidence they have that we don’t.
    The players union understands its the testamony that damaging and now is trying to get everyone to recant and say they didn’t say anything and the NFL is just lying. They clearly want a he said she said scenario going into court.

29. roadbiscuit says: Jun 23, 2012 11:35 AM

10tender, I’ll put up what an eyewitness says against your armchair interpretation. I suggest you do the same.

30. latenightroach says: Jun 23, 2012 12:26 PM

I thought Ayodele was the one who said “give me my money” the 1st time I watched the video. Seemed like two different people talking to me.

31. cmarsh64 says: Jun 23, 2012 12:26 PM

If Hargrove knows who made the statement why doesn’t he just say who it was? Its clear he wasn’t part of that play as far as the hits concerned. By the body language I would say Ayodele made the statement, but Hargrove can’t deny he got paid to injury other players. Hargrove is no longer a Saint so if he wants to help his new team he needs to come clean. If he doesn’t name who it is then he has nothing to complain about. If not being a snitch is more important than the money he will lose over 8 games then so be it.If Ayodele did make the statement then why isn’t he man enough to help out Hargrove?

32. roadbiscuit says: Jun 23, 2012 12:55 PM

Because players don’t rat each other out. It’s that simple.

33. gbmickey says: Jun 23, 2012 1:53 PM

Thats what i thought. I asked earlier for a legitimate reason why a Saint player asked for the money and not one person could step to the plate an offer an answer. Instead they continually focus on that it wasnt Hargrove and not the big picture that payers were paid to hurt people.

34. saints25 says: Jun 23, 2012 2:04 PM

atthemurph says:Jun 23, 2012 10:50 AM

——————————————————————————————————————–

NFL doesnt care about players Safety…I dont think that for one minute,they would quit pushing the 18 games if the cared

35. goodolebaghead says: Jun 23, 2012 3:14 PM

Was there some form of a bounty system? Yes. Was the team punished for it? YES. Does the NFL have any evidence of specifics that will allow them to suspend individuals and not possibly punish completely innocent people? NO. The NFL should have stopped at suspending the coaches and Loomis. It was when Goodell went further and fired away at some of the players, and let the other 22/27 slide, and then didn’t just fine them, but drug them through the mud. If ANY of them is innocent, than this is a travisty. Goodell jumped without looking, and all this mess now is what HE allowed to happen. What did he seriously expect?

36. wirelessjesus says: Jun 23, 2012 3:37 PM

this:

radbob1 says:
    Jun 23, 2012 9:05 AM
    Hargrove says “Bobby”.
    Ayodele says “Give me my money”, his body movement matches perfectly.

Another case of NFL investigators dropping the ball.
    Was Ayodele even interviewed as part of the investigation?

Why is it that WE can clearly see/hear this but investigators cannot???

37. steelersfan1983 says: Jun 23, 2012 3:38 PM

pftcensorssuck says:
    Jun 23, 2012 10:54 AM

The video confirms that, regardless.

Deny THAT, people.
    ————————————————–

So because someone said it it’s okay to point into the group of people they were among and say eeny meeny miny mo, it, was…… YOU????????????????????????

38. qoojo says: Jun 23, 2012 3:39 PM

You hear Hargrove’s voice, then you hear a different voice say, “give me my money”. I agree that Ayodele had the perfect body language for saying it. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

39. randomguy9999 says: Jun 23, 2012 4:20 PM

I don’t think you can tell who actually said ‘give me my money’

but it’s all immaterial….
    1- they had a bounty someone wanted to get paid for….
    2- they all knew it
    3- the coach was informing them in a sort of smug way IMO

they were doing it… no question….
    they deserve punishment… no question…

end of story.

40. mediasloppy says: Jun 23, 2012 5:14 PM

The NFL should say they can’t conclusively pin the guy down as saying it, unless they did voice recognition. Then they should say, it was still a bounty and that’s that…

41. dzor22 says: Jun 23, 2012 5:18 PM

Saints fans. Are we are going to have to hear this hair splitting crap all year. You’re looking for a verdict. The CBA doesn’t require one. Your team’s arrogance got you in this position. You don’t have all of the ‘evidence’…because they don’t have to give it to you. While you all are denying whomever it is saying what…you’re admitting the program existed. You all were warned. Suck it up! Quit crying! No more preferential treatment for you. That preference is a bigger crime than these bounties. Lets look at more tape guys! Watch those late hits. Wow!

42. maiphatdong says: Jun 23, 2012 6:04 PM

obviously Ayodele, look at Hargroves eyes and the way Ayodele bumps into him…..i also like the way Florio plays up his ghetto attitude, lol

43. samapoc says: Jun 23, 2012 8:20 PM

The NFL made such a joke of this case. They should just drop all the charges. Messing with the livelihood of so many people for the wrong reasons….seems to me an easy lawsuit for the players to win.

44. tebowsafraud says: Jun 23, 2012 8:40 PM

Those astute individuals who point out that WHO said “Pay me my money” is unimportant compared to the fact it WAS said at all are the winners here.

Since we know context is everything, we know the comment (whoever said it) was expressed in the belief that Favre had been knocked out of the game.

This PROVES “pay for performance” was a cover for “pay for injuring”. The term “bounty” just refers to extra money added to AN ALREADY EXISTING POOL for “cart offs” and “knock outs” but just specifying a particular player.

As far as poor persecuted Hargrove (note sarcasm) all he has to do is tell the NFL who said “pay me my money” (if it wasn’t him). Alternatively, the player who really said it could came forward and get Hargrove off the hook. The fact is that the “don’t snitch” culture has put Hargrove where he is–not Goodell.

45. djcoreylee says: Jun 23, 2012 10:06 PM

Do you REALLY think this only happens on a few teams! Come on..lets play like we are all grown ups making 5 million dollars a year..

46. frozencajun says: Jun 23, 2012 11:42 PM

I’m not sure how they can give a player a 8 game unpaid vacation on this video. You can hear give me my money but who says it. To those who say it doesn’t matter who said it, you are missing the boat. They are going to give someone a 8 games unpaid with out evidence that he said this or as for as we know ever paid into or got paid in this system.

This video really at best proves that there was a pay for performance program going on or does it? How can you be so sure the program was based on injuring a player? Could this not have been said for a big hit alone? I guess if I’m a player I say it was part of an unrelated topic (such as I paid for your dinner, give me my money!) and prove me otherwise.

If we go with this was a pay for performance program, was it worth the suspensions handed down? I really don’t think it was. It sure seems like the NFL has done shotty work here and taken a fairly minor issue blew it up and now is feeding me something far worse and shocking.

Finally, every NFL fan should be looking at this case with wide eyes. Sure this may not be your team that you follow but it could be. If they are willing to take this kind of a video and hand down 8 games off to a random player who wasn’t even a part of the play they could easily do this to any other team just to make some argument fit. You can make a round peg fit into a square hole if you just pound it hard enough with a hammer. At this point they really need to reinstate everyone including coaches and reboot the investigation and maybe do correctly this time using something more concrete than this. If after 3 years this is the best you have, I’m guessing your case is pretty weak.

47. ftcsubs says: Jun 24, 2012 12:22 AM

Your an idiot, I know you want some more pages of view for your web site. its the same voice. I dont think an inteligent person would make the mistake that is a seperate voice. you can see him saying bobby and lips moving saying Bobby. and the same person is speaking saying give me the money. one way to clear this up is to do a voice annalysis. I would love the NFL to have an expert come on to say that is actualy his voices. then have goodell suspend him longer for lying again.plus Hardgrove says he know nothing about it .bottom line he lied to the commish. I say give him another couple of games to remind people not to lie to the commish.

48. mburkett1980 says: Jun 24, 2012 8:53 AM

You can see Will Smith even looks at Ayodele as if he is uttering something.

Will Smith says “he broke his leg,” and Ayodele turns to him and says “give me my money (with Smith making eye contact with Ayodele).

49. jbravo2312 says: Jun 24, 2012 9:16 PM

Its clear as day Hargrove says “bobby”, and the exact same voice says “gimmie my money” and also, the cadence of the statement is that of one person, not one guy saying bobby and someone else saying gimmie my money, the NFL got it right on this one

50. cpo187 says: Jun 25, 2012 3:47 PM

Favre was being a drama queen and faking it.

51. musicman495 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:29 PM

Not only am I not convinced that is Hargrove speaking, I am not even convinced that the words SAID are “Give me my money.” And I sure as hell don’t know what was MEANT by whatever was said. Did Goodell even bother to ASK saints players what was said, or who said it, or what was meant?