Jim Irsay takes issue with criticism of his Twitter skills

7753611adeee4ae3af86172c5cd1b1a9 AP

Since it’s supposed to be a slow week, here’s an item that is best suited for consideration during a slow week.

Colts owner Jim Irsay has taken to Twitter to call me out personally for a joke included at the bottom of a Saturday item regarding Irsay’s position that marketing rights aren’t holding up an eventual contract with quarterback Andrew Luck.

Since most of the latest available pictures of Luck show him wearing a mortar board and a gown tied and draped over his shoulders like an Andy Bernard sweater, and given that the topic of the item was Luck’s marketing rights via the poorly-crafted tweets of Jim Irsay, I closed with this:  “Luck likely will be free to endorse whatever he wants to endorse, including the use of images of his Stanford graduation to be included in a campaign for online courses aimed at teaching rich, middle-aged white guys how to type legibly on Twitter.”

It was a slap at Irsay’s notorious habit of oft-indecipherable Twitter messages, and using the term “rich, middle-aged white guys” was aimed at describing Irsay’s overall demographic.

Irsay didn’t see it that way.  On Monday morning, Irsay started the debate with this:

Then, without a response, he said this:

I considered not taking the bait; after all, the guy owns an NFL team.  But like I mentioned above, it’s slow right now.  Also, I wasn’t entirely comfortable with the not-so-subtle effort to suggest that I expect only white people to type legible Twitter message.  (For the record, I expect everyone to type legibly on Twitter.)  Besides, Irsay asked a question.  The least I could do was answer it.

A loyal PFT reader (I knew there was at least one) thereafter responded to the kerfuffle. Irsay then replied to Wes LaFever’s tweet with this:

So, basically, Jim Irsay thinks I’m a racist and I don’t like old people (even though I’m now seven years into the legally-protected class of old people) and I don’t like rich people (even though I’d very much like to be one, someday).

Wow.  He really has cracked the code.

Now if only I could crack the code for interpreting 99.8 percent of his Twitter messages, this job would be a lot easier.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “Jim Irsay takes issue with criticism of his Twitter skills”
  1. pskotte says: Jun 25, 2012 2:35 PM

Tweet THAT, Mr. Irsay!

2. giorgiom3 says: Jun 25, 2012 2:36 PM

All I read was that it’s slow so you’re starting a lovers’ quarrel with Jim Irsay via Twitter.

3. dugganmt says: Jun 25, 2012 2:37 PM

I guess this is the NFL news you get on Monday, June 25th.

4. donstylo says: Jun 25, 2012 2:39 PM

I guess this means you’ve lost a regular reader in Jim Irsay after this.

5. revroy78 says: Jun 25, 2012 2:41 PM

I’ll take our senile hillbilly owner Bud Adams over an obnoxious trust fund baby who lucked into Manning and then Luck.

6. otistaylor89 says: Jun 25, 2012 2:41 PM

Boy, I hope he doesn’t find out that you almost killed Terry Bradshaw….

7. donterrelli says: Jun 25, 2012 2:42 PM

You would think he would be a little busier this off-season making sure his re-building team doesn’t do as horribly as they did last year. Instead of being at team HQ and working, he’s bullying people on Twitter. Awesome.

8. leonbryte says: Jun 25, 2012 2:52 PM

Get over yourself, Irsay. And lose the lame toilet seat cover(ie: goatee).

9. hulkhogansays says: Jun 25, 2012 2:53 PM

He’s just mad he made the biggest blunder passing on Robert Griffin the 3rd brother.

10. flapjackdaddy says: Jun 25, 2012 3:00 PM

Yawn. Why must people pounce on any chance that might allow them to act offended?

11. mjbulls45 says: Jun 25, 2012 3:01 PM

florio over irsay

12. blacknole08 says: Jun 25, 2012 3:02 PM

Only girls argue on twitter. Just listen to the word “twitter.” Really?

13. iplaybad says: Jun 25, 2012 3:03 PM

Wait, Irsay is rich, middle-aged, and white. He gets all the coolness benefits of being a part of an NFL franchise without having to do any hard work AND he is filthy rich! What an entitled nincompoop that Irsay. He just does not get that he’s not oppressed.

14. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 25, 2012 3:04 PM

How come only rich people use the term class warfare?

15. lionsownyou says: Jun 25, 2012 3:04 PM

You’d be far better off to not indulge him.
    He’s a snide trust fund baby who thinks of himself as a clever, witty person. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    In reality I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone outside of the state of Indiana that doesn’t find him incredibly annoying.

16. CKL says: Jun 25, 2012 3:07 PM

I lol’ed.
    Someone needs to tell Irsay about “Twit longer” if he’s worried about brevity curtailing his writing. He could write essays on that site then it will post the link to twitter.

17. swingondeesenuts says: Jun 25, 2012 3:15 PM

I’m guessing Dan Synder is very happy that Jim Irsay has over taken him as the biggest dope among NFL owners. The Colts won’t make the playoffs for at least 5-6 years so Irsay better have a lot of material to keep himself busy on TWITter.

18. homelanddefense says: Jun 25, 2012 3:24 PM

Irsay really is a clown. I love that he tries to give off an image of some loner, Grateful Dead fan. Dude, you have a trust fund, your NFL team plays in Lucas Oil Stadium. You arent an “everyman”

19. rajbais says: Jun 25, 2012 3:34 PM

He got Tweeting lessons from T.O., didn’t he?

20. norvturnersneck says: Jun 25, 2012 3:38 PM

Down time in football = time for a Twitter war

21. sameatsworms says: Jun 25, 2012 3:46 PM

I also come from a entitled family and inherited a 1 billion dollar franchise that plays in a 1 billion dollar taxpayer paid facility that almost blew my reputation because of drugs and alcohol… You’re all just jealous of the hard work it took for me to get here…

22. brady100 says: Jun 25, 2012 3:52 PM

He don’t even have any good skills. You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills… Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

23. smartanis says: Jun 25, 2012 3:57 PM

“rich, middle-aged white guys *who happen to own NFL teams in the city of Indianapolis*…”

Problem solved.

24. superputman says: Jun 25, 2012 4:01 PM

I feel your pain Mr. Irsay and inspire to be a “rich middle-aged white guy” like yourself.

Unfortunately, without your help, this may never be possible. I am white and what I consider middle aged (30s), but I need some help with the “rich” part.

Contact me for details (have your check book ready, pls). Heck, I’d even take to being a Colts fan!

25. LoCoSu@%s says: Jun 25, 2012 4:02 PM

What a twit, I mean tweet.

26. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects says: Jun 25, 2012 4:02 PM

irsay is rising exponentially as one of the biggest clowns in all of pro sports including some of the dumbest owners, most laughable coaches, and most disliked players across all sports.

just when you think some idiot player or coach for your team was too much of an embarassment to your team, remember jim irsay, and you’ll feel better.

27. wtfpft says: Jun 25, 2012 4:04 PM

Twitter….Dumbing down society one tweet at a time.

28. ghostofgilchrist says: Jun 25, 2012 4:10 PM

Red Smith and Grantland Rice must be spinning in their graves…

29. jakek2 says: Jun 25, 2012 4:14 PM

Just tell Irsay where the next happy hour location is and that drunken tool with his ridiculous tweeting and acting like a 13 yr old girl starting her period will stop real quick.

30. peytonsneck18 says: Jun 25, 2012 4:20 PM

(in my TO crying voice) thats my owner yr talkin bout!!!

31. biggiesmallsthecondomfilla says: Jun 25, 2012 4:44 PM

What irsey is really trying to say is…..”Me and my family, sip shampain when we thursisty!” Then tellin us….”damn right I like the way I live, I went went negative to possitive, and its all……..”

32. rams1999 says: Jun 25, 2012 4:55 PM

Regardless…sites like Twitter are for idiotic people who NEED peoples attention one way or the other. Whether they admit it or not, these bloggers or whatever you call them, what they want is attention. Poor kids.

33. Deb says: Jun 25, 2012 5:00 PM

Finally, a reason to follow someone on Twitter. If this exchange is typical, apparently Irsay is always good for a few laughs.

34. theclaim says: Jun 25, 2012 5:22 PM

Mike….Jim… Settle down? Are we wasting time trying to hash out the semantics of this quarrel? Mike,You slighted Jim by taking a shot at his twitter skills. Jim you called Mike on his lack of etiquette concerning the not so clever use of “white guy” . Florio, your comment implies ugliness. Irsay your response was unnecessary. Your first post covered it. I need a job! One of you call me and set me up. I want to be rich too! And calmer heads prevailed
    The. Claim

35. r8rsfan says: Jun 25, 2012 5:31 PM

Perhaps he should be reminded that his team had one of the worst 1-season declines in recent memory amid speculation that his team was tanking on purpose. And judging by his angry response it appears that you struck a nerve. If he can’t stand the fire get out of the kitchen.

36. tonyromoisterrible says: Jun 25, 2012 6:14 PM

Maybe Irsay should have taken a longer look at his team instead of his twitter account and they wouldn’t
    have gone 2-14. The colts are going to be terrible for the next 10-15 years. As long as jimmy boy is GM/owner they will be awful.

HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. davidcl77 says: Jun 25, 2012 6:27 PM

This cat should stop trying to be Jerry Jones. We all know how that has gone since, say, the mid ’90′s!
    He should just keep his mouth shut. Screw Twitter.

38. brianbosworthisstonecold says: Jun 25, 2012 6:49 PM

Irsay=Clown Shoes

39. mswravens says: Jun 25, 2012 9:08 PM

Irsay is no different than the drunk who was his father – clueless & classless scum!

40. ranksarot says: Jun 26, 2012 1:54 AM

Class warfare? Irsay needs to turn off fox news. He probably has a safe full of guns with price tags still on them because fox news said they were going to “take his guns”. Everyone is out to get him. Kudos to Florio for standing up to the douche.