Remi Ayodele claims not to know who said “give me my money”

remiayodele Getty Images

Saints defensive tackle Remi Ayodele was sitting right there when someone on the New Orleans sideline said “give me my money” after hearing that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre had been knocked out of the NFC Championship Game. But Ayodele claims, through his agent, that he doesn’t know who said it.

After PFT’s Mike Florio raised the question of whether it was the voice of Ayodele — and not Anthony Hargrove, whom the NFL claims made the statement — on the tape, Ayodele’s agent Jordan Woy sent PFT an e-mail saying it was not Ayodele.

“Remi does not know who made the statement or in what context it was made,” Woy wrote. “No one from the Saints or the League has indicated in any way Remi made the statement.”

Hargrove insists that it’s not his voice on the video, either. But the NFL is using those words as evidence against Hargrove, who has been suspended for the first eight games of the season. The issue of who said “give me my money” is perhaps the most contentious issue of all in the highly contentious matter of the NFL’s investigation into the Saints’ bounty program.

It appears that Ayodele won’t be shedding any light on the issue.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Remi Ayodele claims not to know who said “give me my money””
  1. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Jun 25, 2012 9:51 PM

Because he’s supposed to pay attention to what someone said after a play in the middle of (at the time) the biggest game in his career instead of focusing on his assignments for the next set of downs.. Got it.

2. vtopa says: Jun 25, 2012 9:55 PM

Man up Remi, man up.

3. mikewasserson says: Jun 25, 2012 9:58 PM

Ayodele, Hargrove, Vilma, all these guys are idiots. If anyone should be making a big fuss about this bounty thing it would be Payton and Williams, yet you don’t hear a peep from them. What does that tell you? That they were in the wrong and are taking their medicine.

Not only will Vilma and these guys be gone for the season (or half of it in some cases), but they’re going to be lighter in the bank after paying their lawyers for a useless cause.

Morons.

4. bricketh says: Jun 25, 2012 10:03 PM

Maybe it was Bobby McCray, since it followed the “Bobby” callout…. i.e.,

Hargrove: “Bobby…”

McCray (in response to his name called): “Give me my money”

Of course, I say this sight unseen, as I have not watched (nor do I care to watch) the video…

5. drc7772 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:06 PM

couldnt “give me my money” mean pay me as in get me a new contract or that a certain player is earning his pay

6. jcbadger34 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:06 PM

Such stand up guys, those Saints. Always taking responsibility for what they do and say!

Oh wait…..it’s the opposite, isn’t it? Damn, I screwed that up!

7. ninerdynasty says: Jun 25, 2012 10:07 PM

right when you start giving them the benefit of a doubt they come back out lying through their teeth.
    *that sounds like me and looks like me .. but im telling you.. is not me!*

8. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 25, 2012 10:10 PM

So on the surface he is playing dumb….

Funny thing is, he probably isn’t playing.

9. thcnote says: Jun 25, 2012 10:18 PM

Williams must have told him to just play dumb.

10. benh999 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:19 PM

Well, in that case Goodell is a megalomaniacal mastermind and all allegations are false.

11. cwwgk says: Jun 25, 2012 10:19 PM

How fitting. Although it’s water under the bridge at this point. The players were given several opportunities to formally present their side of the story to Goodell but chose not to participate. Instead, they stonewalled the commissioner.

So be it. The issue whether there was sufficient evidence or not is now over. Assuming their appeals are denied, the players lost without even attempting a fight.

Now all they are left with are the thin straws of procedural and technical arguments in an effort to get the courts involved. Good luck with that, judges don’t like parties complaining about a valid contract to which they agreed.

Someone should’ve taught those guys that, when you shoot at the King, don’t miss.

12. themohel says: Jun 25, 2012 10:32 PM

What a great teammate, letting his buddy continue to take the rap

13. wcoastsaintsfan says: Jun 25, 2012 10:32 PM

14. jason1980 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:34 PM

@mikewasserson, no, no, no, wuss, the idiot label is misplaced, look within. Payton and Williams don’t have the benefit of union backing, therefore are at the mercy of lying Goddell. If they ever want to get back into the NFL, they should just remain silence. The damage is already done to the Goddell and the league office. Obviously, you haven’t been following this story because you’re ranting like a jealous girlfriend, totally emotional.

Vilma and the others may very well be gone for the season, or part of it, but on the bright side for them, their bank accounts are far more healthy and alive than yours. Even it’d they sat on their butts for a season, poetic justice, wouldn’t you say?

15. drgreenstreak says: Jun 25, 2012 10:42 PM

Hargrove = Liar.

Not as bad as Fujita but still a liar.

16. mikewasserson says: Jun 25, 2012 11:08 PM

@jason1980

There is video evidence of Williams talking to players about taking opposing players out for monetary incentives.

There’s proof of Vilma offering up $10k for a bounty and then you have this audio of Hargrove from the Vikings game.

Yet these idiots want to waste their time and money lying and want us to believe that none of this happened.

I bet you think OJ Simpson, Casey Anthony, and Jerry Sandusky were innocent, right?

17. txtuff says: Jun 25, 2012 11:17 PM

Maybe Hargrove should sue Remi for the 8 game checks he is going to lose.

18. jessethegreat says: Jun 25, 2012 11:36 PM

jason1980 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:34 PM

———————————————————–
    All coaches in the NFL are in the NFL Coaches Union with the exception of Belichick. That is why they are all on Madden. You think E.A. would pay each individual coach to use their likenesses?

I believe full-well that Hargrove knows who said it, but he doesn’t want to be the “rat”. Look at what happened to Mangini. I don’t think he made any money off Remi hurting Favre, but he’s not going to throw his NFL career away by throwing another guy under the bus. He’s the only Saints (former, now) player that I’ve respected thru this. I don’t support the bounty program, but the whining and complaining by some of these players thru the media is getting rediculous. After Vilma’s lawsuit is thrown out, I hope the Commish files suit against him for defamation of character.

19. jason1980 says: Jun 25, 2012 11:54 PM

@wusserman, there is NO video evidence of Williams telling players to take out anyone ACL. There is NO video of Vilma offering $10K. You see, that’s your problem, you are uninformed and ranting hearsay. Check your facts, and then come back to the board. If Goddell had the evidence you speak of, his “bounty” case would have been a slam-dunk. C’mon man!! Don’t waste our time if you haven’t done your research. Get out of here, and read something for the love of God.

20. thepftpaperchase says: Jun 26, 2012 12:10 AM

wcoastsaintsfan says: Some of the other posters on here are ridiculous. You really think anyone can remember an off the cuff comment made on a sideline from THREE years ago?

_________________________________

I guess Earl Heyman does.

“Former New Orleans Saints practice squad defensive lineman Earl Heyman, who was on the sidelines during the NFC Championship Game in which a microphone picked up a Saints player saying “pay me my money,” told CBSSports.com on Wednesday, repeatedly, that the player in question was not Anthony Hargrove.”

21. jbaxt says: Jun 26, 2012 12:28 AM

So their boss, Wiiliams, directs them to do seething, they do it, get excited about doing it, and are to blame. Yet in a league where it takes very little to get black balled, you, the league, expect them to go against what their boss tells them. Sorry but if my options are to make millions and do what my boss says or go against the grain and get blackballed. We all chose millions. Goodell is a goon.

22. mjkelly77 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:34 AM

Must have been that Water Boy Bobby Boucher.

23. eaglebranded says: Jun 26, 2012 1:16 AM

@ Jason1980 when did the coaches union stop existing. Oh it didn’t so enough with the excuses they can challenge it if they want the union is not backing them.

24. mwindle1973 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:37 AM

bricketh says: Jun 25, 2012 10:03 PM

Maybe it was Bobby McCray, since it followed the “Bobby” callout…. i.e.,

Hargrove: “Bobby…”

McCray (in response to his name called): “Give me my money”

___________________________

When you look at the high/low hit they put on Favre, and injured his leg right before they went to sideline, isn’t it McCray that hit’s him low and causes the injury?

25. piemasteruk says: Jun 26, 2012 2:23 AM

I don’t even remember what I said to my wife when she came home from work last night, let alone what I may have said in a conversation with my team-mates when I was high on adrenaline during one of the biggest moments of my life three years ago. But ultimately, whether Ayodele remembers it, or recognises the sound of his own voice (which always sounds odd when you hear it) or not, he is smart to say he doesn’t remember saying it. It’s pretty obvious that Anthony Hargrove had no reason to say such a thing and that the ban against him will ultimately be quashed, in fact it may just be a smokescreen by the NFL to take attention away from the other cases. So for someone else to jump in front of the bullet at this point would just be needlessly throwing themselves under the bus.

26. roadbiscuit says: Jun 26, 2012 6:10 AM

> The players were given several opportunities to formally present their side of the story to Goodell but chose not to

Hargrove scheduled a meeting for Tuesday, April 3, 10AM. He was told he would be sent flight information by the NFL. It never came. He was never told the meeting had been cancelled or why the NFL had cancelled the meeting. Shortly thereafter, the NFL issued a statement saying that all the players had declined to meet.

27. gingerkid2000 says: Jun 26, 2012 7:19 AM

Why did Hargrove say in his statement that the coaches told him to deny any “bounty program” was going on. Seems to me that these guys could have settled this long before any suspensions where handed out. Also, I don’t recall any outrage on their part when the coaches & GM got their punishments. They were fine with telling the NFL what was going on so long as they didn’t get penalized. This reeks of selfish cowardice on there part. They had until Friday to provide any kind of proof of their innocents and did nothing!

28. brooklynniner19 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:02 AM

It doesnt even matter, all that matters is … my 49ers beating them week 12 at their house. #Go9ers

29. tebowsafraud says: Jun 26, 2012 8:29 AM

It’s pretty hilarious that they ALL have good memories about what THEY said……yet all are playing dumb as to what ANYONE else said.

Sorry boys—we can’t accept that. If your memory is that bad then maybe you DID say it but have now forgotten it.

At any rate, in the big picture (an NFL team running a program that paid Saints players to INJURE other players) the Hargrove tape is just “icing on the cake”. The cake being the other evidence including flat out confessions from Gregg Williams and Sean “Got a spare Vicodin?” Payton).

The tape is ONLY relevant to Hargrove. If he didn’t say it then tell us who did. If he chooses not to “snitch” then he must be guilty–or he is taking a bullet for someone else. In either case he has no sympathy from me.

30. miles58a says: Jun 26, 2012 9:32 AM

The NFL told the players that they were going to present the slideshow of what they called evidence and after they would not take any questions the players had about the presentation. Then the NFL says the players never provided anything in there defense. Coach Vitt offered to take a lie detector test, the NFL needs to give him one but Goodell needs to take one himself. And how is Villma going to prove he didn’t offer up money that the ledger says he did when everyone in the room says it wasn’t true and he doesn’t know where the ledger came from. They ledger the NFL provided was a re-typed one, without seeing the original how do we even know it exist. I just find it funny how the NFL has 50,000 pages of evidence over a three year investigation and none of it could be proved untill the end of this past season. They come across one piece of evidence that put the whole thing together. I think they don’t have enough evidence and Goodell need the new CBA to do what he is doing, but he couldn’t do it to soon so he waited till the end of the season (Like with the Cowboys and Redskins). If the bounty is as sold of a case they are saying it is there is no way they can tell me they could not prove it before now with as much evidence they say they got and I think the retired players that were injured by the Saints and retired in the last three years should go after the NFL for knowing about the bounty and not stopping it before now. (Or any player that was injured)

31. goodolebaghead says: Jun 26, 2012 10:41 AM

Guilty or not, Goodell has bungled this whole process. If he had done it right, no one would be talking about any of this right now.