Tebow says he’s not rooting for Sanchez to get benched

Tim Tebow AP

If Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez plays well this year, Tim Tebow won’t get a chance to start. So does that mean Tebow is rooting for Sanchez to fail, and get benched?

Not according to Tebow, who unsurprisingly says he wants Sanchez to do well, even if that means Tebow remains a backup.

“We have a great relationship, on and off the field,” Tebow said of Sanchez, via GatorZone.com. “It’s really very easy to say I am rooting for him. I will not root against him. I wish him nothing but the best. Now, that doesn’t mean I have to try any less, but I really think he’s done a great job. They’ve been in the AFC Championship Game twice he’s been there. He’s a good quarterback and he’ll continue to work hard and be the best he can.”

Tebow does want to become a starting quarterback again, but he said he believes he has to get better at “everything” about playing quarterback in the NFL.

“I think understanding offense very well, that’ll be a key. And just continuing to work on fundamentals,” Tebow said. “My biggest weakness has probably been fundamentals. The offense we ran at Florida, I had great fundamentals for that, with my feet. Now, being under center, play-action, seven-step drops, being in the pocket, it’s different. The great quarterbacks aren’t necessarily super-athletic, but they have great rhythm and timing because of their feet. . . . Sometimes I want to go so fast, so having rhythm and timing is something I need to work on every day.”

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Tebow says he’s not rooting for Sanchez to get benched”
  1. flapjackdaddy says: Jun 25, 2012 11:51 AM

Thou shall not lie…or something like that.

2. tlmoon2112 says: Jun 25, 2012 11:57 AM

Tebow doesnt really need to root against Sanchez. Sanchez is going to falter on his own.

3. joetoronto says: Jun 25, 2012 12:00 PM

“Anyone who’s watched Tebow would agree that he has to get better as a passer. But it might take only a bad game or two early in the season for the Jets’ coaches to decide that Tebow is already a better quarterback than Sanchez.”

As bad as Sanchez is, how is Tebow any better?

They both stink, bad.

4. greasybeerfart says: Jun 25, 2012 12:03 PM

Everyone knows Tebow will be starting by week 5. The whole reason why they got Tebow was for publicity. Plus, its the Jets. If they aren’t blowing up the media then hell will freeze over.

5. 307dubstep says: Jun 25, 2012 12:04 PM

Not rooting for him to get benched, simply hoping he does not succeed. God Bless…

6. rr2000k says: Jun 25, 2012 12:10 PM

If I were a Jets fan, I’d be rooting for both of you to be benched.

7. savocabol1 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:11 PM

I was begining to wonder why we havent seen a tebow article. Glad we wont have to panic anymore.

8. nflofficeadmin says: Jun 25, 2012 12:12 PM

Tebow knows he has to get better long term. He’s more concerned with how he is playing rather than how Sanchez is playing.

9. mybrunoblog says: Jun 25, 2012 12:19 PM

It wouldn’t be the start of a new week without the gratuitous Tebow post.

10. shadowman1433 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:20 PM

He’s not routing for him to play poorly just maybe a high ankle sprain ot some other injury to keep him off the field.

11. shootscuz says: Jun 25, 2012 12:22 PM

I believe Tebow’s main issue is he has to see the receiver open in order to throw the ball. He greatly lacks anticipation of where he needs to go and seems to not understand what he is seeing from the D pre-snap. If he can fix that and is footwork then he could be a force in this league. But those are some big ifs that he has to fix.

12. terraj35 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:25 PM

Tebow thinks his biggest issue is his foot work? Does he know you throw with your arm?

13. eaglesnoles05 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:27 PM

His rationale for saying thats not a lie is probably this: “No, I’m not rooting for him to get benched and hand me the job, I am just going to beat him and take it.”

14. jolink653 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:31 PM

“My biggest weakness has probably been fundamentals”

Well yeah only if you consider being able to throw the ball and actually complete the pass to the receiver that you’re trying to throw to a fundamental….

15. eeerockski says: Jun 25, 2012 12:35 PM

What did you expect him to say? I knew the answer to that question before it was even asked…

16. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 25, 2012 12:35 PM

He’s not rooting for Sanchez to fail. Praying for it, however…

17. CKL says: Jun 25, 2012 12:36 PM

Ok so now TT has come out backing the guy ahead of him after taking criticism for not doing that in Denver. How will those critics who are simply people who dislike everything about him because of his openly religious stance bash him for this? Pretty sure they’ll find way. Wonder how many of them backed the brothers who are of a different religion taking a hiatus from their jobs for it?
    I follow no religion (and I’m a Pats fan so hate the Jets), so I just look at it as a case study in hypocrisy.

18. rajbais says: Jun 25, 2012 12:37 PM

No, he’s just not publicly rooting for Sanchez’s benching.

Skip Bayless and other Tebow fans (including those in the media) are implicitly rooting for it when they don’t objectively see the positives in Sanchez.

Personality never should be equated to talent!!!

The number of well-executed plays should!!!

19. rdrs68 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:37 PM

Is this the same Tebow who did not utter a word when bill boards were erected in Denver demanding that Orton be benched? The same Tebow who was fined by his own team mates for not speaking out against those signs?

20. cuda1234 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:40 PM

Of course, HE’s not (wink, wink) but he just reminded all his crazy fans what they are supposed to do, just like at UF and in Denver. Just ask Chris Leak and Kyle Orton what its like.

Mr. passive-agressive won’t change, he’s all about Tebow

21. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 25, 2012 12:47 PM

I hope the defense can average 12 points a game because this offense is going to be its downfall. JaMARKus Sanchez showed the world what he is made of last year. So did Tebow. And neither one was worth writing home about.

22. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jun 25, 2012 12:48 PM

Lol who cares if he wants the starting job. They get a long, I would always want the second place guy to want to start. If you do not bread competition then you are not getting maximum potential.

23. swingondeesenuts says: Jun 25, 2012 12:48 PM

The Jets are poised to go down in flames this season and Tim Tebow isn’t the guy to stop it. This team is full of selfish “me” players and lead by a coach more interested in getting laughs at his press conferences than winning. The AFC East will be much better this season with the Bills and Fins inproving and the Pats continuing to be a 11-12 win team. I predict the Jets finish 6-10 and Ryan, Tebow, and the GM will all be gone in 2013.

24. Patskrieg dot com says: Jun 25, 2012 12:52 PM

Greg McElroy.

25. whateverhommie says: Jun 25, 2012 1:01 PM

Tebow’s not going to root against Sanchez. Instead, he’s going to quietly politic his was to the starting spot as he did in Denver.

26. noahbird says: Jun 25, 2012 1:18 PM

Lying is a sin. Even more so when you are trying to make yourself seem chill.

27. orsondunlap says: Jun 25, 2012 1:24 PM

CKL:

And why do people like you overlook all the other openly religious people in the NFL (and in sports and entertainment in general) to focus ONLY on Tebow? That’s the funny thing. The NFL is full of overt Christians. It is the Tebow fans who pretend as if Tebow is the only one, and that allows Tebow fans to pretend as if Tebow’s criticisms are due to his religion and not his play.

It is funny … a lot of the Tebow fans backed Rush Limbaugh when he went after Donovan McNabb, and McNabb used to lead the Philadelphia Eagles’ team Bible study.

28. nflfollower says: Jun 25, 2012 1:32 PM

I like tebow, and usually root for him. But could we get an update per day, covering the other 29 backups in the league, over the next 29 days perhaps. That would be fantastic, thank you so much.

29. 808raiderinparadise says: Jun 25, 2012 1:36 PM

So sick of this already. 8-8 at VERY best. 2 terrible QB’s, no run game, elederly defense kicking in, coach who still thinks he has 3 rings and onto his 4th this year.

The jets are a complete media madness joke, aquiring Tebow was obviously gas to that media fire already present.

I watched Tebow last year, pretty closely. He had some magical moments I will admit. Magical. But he got fumbles and missed FG’s and fumbled snaps and all kinds of stuff that was magical. As a QB, a player of the position myself …….

Kid is less accurate than JaMarcus Russell, by about 6-8% less accurate.

Can’t go through his reads.

Long wind-up.

BUT he had his magical moments. good for him.

I will admit he is good for the NFL, but he is an awful QB.

30. patriots123456 says: Jun 25, 2012 1:44 PM

Of course he isn’t rooting for Sanchez to get benched.

He’s rooting for him to get cut. LOL

I actually have some sympathy for some of the Jets fans. This situation has all the makings of another disaster.

31. jolink653 says: Jun 25, 2012 2:20 PM

orsondunlap says:
    Jun 25, 2012 1:24 PM

______________________________________________

Umm i’m pretty sure absolutely no one backed rush limbaugh when he attacked donovan mcnabb and his supposed racial issue in the NFL…which is why the nfl refuses to associate itself with him since he got fired right after that

32. nepaseahawk says: Jun 25, 2012 2:22 PM

hes rooting for jesus to take care of sanchez for him

33. weepingjebus says: Jun 25, 2012 2:24 PM

So I googled these guys, and it turns out there is some sort of football team called the “N.Y. Jets” practicing and sometimes even playing at the N.Y. Giants’ stadium. Moreover, they apparently utilize a revolutionary formation incorporating two QBs. Is this some sort of experimental farm team the NFL has created for testing rule changes, or for possible league expansion? Frankly, with all the other drama going on I hope this “N.Y. Jets” thing does not catch on.

34. mgifford15 says: Jun 25, 2012 2:25 PM

Shouldn’t tebow be working with the o-line on his blocking fundamentals instead of passing? I mean, he is the leaques most celebrated punt protector after all.

35. CKL says: Jun 25, 2012 2:32 PM

@orsondunlap:
    I was speaking of how people who hate Tebow solely for his religious beliefs criticize everything about him, and cited the billboard thing as an example. That has nothing to do with his play, so I’m not sure how your point applies to what I was saying. There are, as you point out, lots of guys who are also religious and in my opinion have said and done things even more in that vein than Tebow, but they don’t get the praise…OR the criticism.

Tebow does have a segment of his fans who are a little out there, no doubt about it. But I would say they aren’t football fans, they’re fans of his persona. The problem is the Jets seem to love this aspect of him as they openly court those people by having him give that big deal presser when he came to town, etc. That’s why I am skeptical of their mantra that this is a “football only” move. I think it’s a “fooball..also” move.

36. imjinbrdgr says: Jun 25, 2012 2:37 PM

I could not care less one way or another about the Jets. Just as a football fan I want to see Tebow play. He’s sure a lot more entertaining than Sanchez.

37. drexelvol says: Jun 25, 2012 2:43 PM

Seriously, who cares what the Jets’ backup quarterback thinks.

38. browning743 says: Jun 25, 2012 3:26 PM

of course he wants him on the field, if Sanchez gets benched Tebow will actually have to play and people may not love him so much then.

39. rollerino1 says: Jun 25, 2012 3:54 PM

Hmmm; I haven’t seen a quote from Sanchez yet stating that he and Tim have this ” great relationship” on and off the field.

40. trubroncfan07 says: Jun 25, 2012 5:04 PM

Forget rooting, he is praying Sanchez goes down or plays like he usually does.

41. pandebailey says: Jun 25, 2012 7:07 PM

1) Okay, we’re giving Tebow “credit” for not rooting against a teammate?? Are you kidding? He deserves a Christian medal for just doing what sports teammates are supposed to do? What’s next, an award for NOT robbing a liquor store in Queens?

2) Tebow is ready to take over for Sanchez now? Uh, did you WATCH any of Timmy’s last 5 games once the NFL figured out his little one-trick pony act?

Good Lord (sorry Tim), he was getting worse in his last five games, going just 1-4. Who in the wide, wide world of sports really thinks he’ll suddenly be good by moving to NY?

42. mojosmagic says: Jun 25, 2012 9:32 PM

Nah, but he did ask God to strike him dead with a lightning bolt from heaven.