Tuck calls Eli’s Top 100 ranking “a joke”

138506008_10 Getty Images

Eagles quarterback Mike Vick isn’t the only guy from the NFC East who thinks one of the rankings in the NFL’s Top 1oo list amounts to “a joke.”

Vick doesn’t like the fact that he landed at No. 70 this year, and Giants defensive end Justin Tuck doesn’t like the fact that quarterback Eli Manning came in at No. 31.

That’s a joke,” Tuck said at Terrell Thomas‘ youth football camp in California, via Kevin Patra of NFL Network.  “No question.  He is top five, hands down.  Top five. . . .

“You win the Super Bowl, you have the season he had, you are automatically top 10,” Tuck added.  “But it’s how he did it, as far as the fourth-quarter comebacks, leading a team that really didn’t have a super, superstar wide receiver at the beginning of the year.  He made two guys in Hakeem [Nicks] and Victor [Cruz], he made those guys what they are now.  I really feel as though he should have been a lot higher than he was.”

Eli hasn’t objected to his 2012 ranking.  Left off the list entirely in 2011 possibly fueled his declaration in August that he’s an elite quarterback.

He went on to prove it, thanks possibly in part to the motivation supplied by his omission from the list.  Giants fans should hope that’s the case, given that Eli’s placement at No. 31 likely will give him even more motivation to prove that the men who voted on the list — the players themselves — were wrong.  Again.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
66 Responses to “Tuck calls Eli’s Top 100 ranking “a joke””
  1. urfinished says: Jun 25, 2012 6:32 PM

I would agree for the most part, but it is almost splitting hairs once you get past top 50. Too many people start looking at stats over substance.
    Also…kind of hate your new format. The font is jacked up and sometimes I cant read the whole story because the right side of the page cuts it off. There are also lots of annoying delays. Anyone who told you they were helping lied to your face.

2. grizzois says: Jun 25, 2012 6:32 PM

He’s beaten Tom Brady twice in SuperBowls. He’s thrown for 4,000 yards the last 3 years. He doesn’t get to play in domes or Warm weather states like Brady or Peyton. He lost his biggest weapons last year (Boss,Smith) and didn’t miss a beat. He turned an undrafted wide out into an all pro. The guy is easily top 10, more likely 2 or 3.

3. grizzois says: Jun 25, 2012 6:33 PM

I meant Peyton and Brees.

4. Mike Florio says: Jun 25, 2012 6:34 PM

We don’t have a new format.

5. rhymenosaurus says: Jun 25, 2012 6:35 PM

Brady plays in a dome or a warm weather state?

6. hyzers says: Jun 25, 2012 6:40 PM

Eli can thank his defense for the championship.

Take away Megatron’s numbers and Stafford’s were STILL better.

7. teal379 says: Jun 25, 2012 6:42 PM

“Fourth quarter comebacks”

One of the most over used and rediculous “stats” used to provide evidence of greatness in a QB.

What it really means is he either sucked for 90% of the game or was flat out inneffective most of the game. Good QB’s (and I’m not knocking Eli here – just the premise) don’t get behind like that. Look at the last 2 years for Aaron Rodgers – pretty darn good years for a QB of any team. VERY little 4th quarter comebacks.

Some will say it’s due to poor defense but in NY’s case – that doesn’t hold water.

8. fdugrad says: Jun 25, 2012 6:44 PM

I wonder if Eli really cares? He is the first string quarterback for the New York Giants. He has the complete respect of the players and coaches. He has won TWO SB, has financial security, a wonderful immediate family and great parents. He appears to care for and respect his brothers as well. In addition, he clearly has his head screwed on tightly, has his core values, none of which are centered around where he is on some list. It appears as though life is going quite well regardless of his ranking. I wish him well.

9. notoriousjebus says: Jun 25, 2012 6:48 PM

grizzois says: Jun 25, 2012 6:32 PM

He doesn’t get to play in domes or Warm weather states like Brady or Peyton.

I can’t believe I have been put in the position of defending Brady, but Boston is 3 hours northeast of New York. Therefore it’s typically as cold, or colder than NY. And Gillette Stadium is not domed.

10. kane337 says: Jun 25, 2012 6:49 PM

When did the players vote? Before or after the playoffs?

11. yodelpoo says: Jun 25, 2012 6:52 PM

hyzers says:
    Jun 25, 2012 6:40 PM
    Eli can thank his defense for the championship.

=============

What? Um no.

12. nineroutsider says: Jun 25, 2012 7:00 PM

The entire concept is “a joke”! Everyone loves lists I guess…but I hate them, especially if presented to me by my wife.

Eli is an elite player in the league and I don’t care to define what exact number, but I’d take him at QB over everyone not named Rodgers. Yes that includes Stafford, Brady, and Bress, yes Romo and Newton too.

13. jakek2 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:01 PM

hyzers says:
    Jun 25, 2012 6:40 PM
    Eli can thank his defense for the championship.

Take away Megatron’s numbers and Stafford’s were STILL better.
    ——————–
    @hater, I mean hyzer. They must not teach math in Detroit. Giants’ defense was ranked 27th in the NFL last year. Plus, Stafford only threw for a grand total of 105 more yards than Eli. What the hell are you talking about “Take away Megatron’s numbers and he’s still better”. Just because your team has 1 good year every 50 doesn’t mean you can talk trash on the champ. Now, go bury yourself in a hole for another 50 years. Nice talk.

14. doe22us says: Jun 25, 2012 7:01 PM

That ranking thing is a joke anyway.

15. bigbluefan1 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:03 PM

See now this is how it is done I am sure Eli would like to be ranked higher but he says ha ha I got the ring I got the trophy and I am a chanpion.

One of his peers speaks up and defends him

Class act from a class team

Lets go for five

16. zn0rseman says: Jun 25, 2012 7:05 PM

Eli Manning is not even a top ten QB, let alone top 100 player.

17. grizzois says: Jun 25, 2012 7:06 PM

I said I meant Brees and not Brady. Thanks.

18. giantsfanlewis says: Jun 25, 2012 7:06 PM

Take megatron off of the lions and the other recivers don’t get open. He contributes in two ways. Catching unbelievable catches and demanding triple coverage so other guys can get open. And arrons rodgers 2 years ago wasn’t dominating teams. Gb snuck into the playoffs in a tie breaker against Tb and ny while 7-9 seahawks won the west. Rodgers may have great stats but his team wasn’t dominant til this year and that always happens after a superbowl win for some reason. If plax doesn’t shoot himself I bet ny goes 14-2 at worst but still loses in the playoffs because they were dominating every team that year(execpt the browns strangly enough)

19. thevza says: Jun 25, 2012 7:11 PM

I’m sure being left off the highly-coveted “Top 100″ list last year is totally why Eli Manning won a Super Bowl. That alone must have provided all the motivation. He probably thinks about it constantly…

20. sampulls says: Jun 25, 2012 7:12 PM

What? Um yes

21. pturner81 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:16 PM

he’s inconsistent therefore: not elite

22. dbones750 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:22 PM

fdugrad’s comment is the most sensible thing i’ve ever read on this website’s comments section.

23. agcooney108 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:26 PM

Who cares, just play

24. txtroutslayer says: Jun 25, 2012 7:40 PM

From a Die Hard Cowboy Fan who hates looking at his stupid face: He’s a fantastic team player and yes he has some hellacious receivers that seem to catch anything he throws up in the air but give him his due….if people are going to say Romo is not elite because he hasn’t won but one playoff game then how can you not say Manning is not after winning 2 superbowls…hell he’s won one more Superbowl then his brother who has been dubbed the greatest quarterback in the modern era. So yes he should be in the top 10.

25. tangysizzl says: Jun 25, 2012 7:43 PM

Maybe it has to do with his regular season record and not so much what he did in the playoffs. I would put him in the top 20 at the very least, after that its a matter of taste I think.

26. dannymac17 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:43 PM

im upset i was left off the list as well.

27. TheWizard says: Jun 25, 2012 7:43 PM

I agree.

He made the throw last year and Brady didn’t.

I’ve been a Pats fan for decades, but that’s just the truth.

28. jakek2 says: Jun 25, 2012 7:47 PM

zn0rseman says:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:05 PM
    Eli Manning is not even a top ten QB, let alone top 100 player.
    ————
    Clearly someone who made a bet how quick they can get to 100 thumbs down.

29. cowartsh says: Jun 25, 2012 8:11 PM

I stopped looking when I saw tebow was on the list. That by itself makes the list a complete joke

30. suckitny says: Jun 25, 2012 8:12 PM

Shut up tuck

31. giantsfanlewis says: Jun 25, 2012 8:23 PM

Pturner. So is brees? Look at in doors vs. Out doors.

32. bobhk says: Jun 25, 2012 8:32 PM

teal379 says:
    Jun 25, 2012 6:42 PM
    “Fourth quarter comebacks”

————-
    I’m sure you think Elway and Montana sucked too. They had great fourth quarter magic.

33. cooklynn17 says: Jun 25, 2012 8:35 PM

Tuck is right.

34. paulsmith107 says: Jun 25, 2012 9:17 PM

Last year Eli wasn’t even in the top 100. he had a solid year but it wasn’t until the running game and deffense decided to play tht the team startle to win Iean try finished the season what 3-7 or 4-6 yeah he’s top 5 alright lol. 31 was a good spot but next year will be another 30 turnover season where he was the sole reason a 10-6 team misses the playoffs like he did in 2010

35. t16rich says: Jun 25, 2012 9:28 PM

It is a joke. Tom Brady will likely be ranked #1 and he is 0-2 to Eli in Super Bowl’s.

36. touchdowncolston says: Jun 25, 2012 10:03 PM

Drew Brees tossed 4 tds and 400 yards in his last game outdoors. Had 2 should have been game winning drives against the best defense in the league and might have won the super bowl if not for Greg Williams’s dumbassery blitzing . I don’t know where people get this misconception that Brees cant play outside but its ridiculous.

37. nfl fan says: Jun 25, 2012 10:13 PM

Pretty impressive, he did it twice in 4 years.

As Strahan once said, “We won the freakin SuperBowl”…again.

38. joeyd524 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:19 PM

He’s better than Vick,romo,rg0,smith,kolb/Skelton,Bradford,whoever seattles qb,cutler,ponder,stafford,freeman,Ryan,newton..I’ll give ya a tie with mole face and rodgers is tops..

Do I have to do afc?

39. nflfollower says: Jun 25, 2012 10:26 PM

The whole top 100 thing is a joke. Eli is one example, but there are many.

40. reason35 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:37 PM

I’m astonished that Eli is 31 to be honest. Eli is a nice QB, but that’s it. I’ve got no dog in this fight, but I can’t believe how people have revisionist history with this guy.

This year he was pretty solid, and I definitely warmed to him as a good QB (whereas before I thought he just flat sucked). But come on people, Eli Manning is NOT an elite QB!! Recall three plays:

1 – The first Pats/Giants Super Bowl. The Giants have TEN points. Eli throws a BAD pass with 1:20 left in the game that Asante Samuel DROPS. Game over. Eli manages 10 points, Giants lose, he’s another guy who couldn’t get it done.
    2 – The Helmet Catch. Anyone who thinks this isn’t garbage is deluding themselves. He pulled a classic “Eli” and threw it up for grabs. Lucky. Again.
    3 – This past Super Bowl, the Welker drop. If one of the most sure handed WRs in the league makes a catch Eli is 0 for 2.

Look I know all the cliches – “one play doesn’t lose or win a game”, “they wouldn’t have been there without him”, blah blah blah. Eli could very easily be a ringless goat. I don’t get what the hype is. He had a good season in which 4000 yards was common and three guys threw for 5000. He’s a nice QB, stop calling him anything else.

41. randallflagg52 says: Jun 25, 2012 10:40 PM

I’m sure Eli doesn’t care about his ranking though. He knows and we all know he is elite. Guy is the most clutch QB in the game today. No one else I would want on my team if they were down in the 4th.

42. smstonerock says: Jun 25, 2012 10:45 PM

Eli Manning is not elite. Very good, yes. Elite, no. Here’s why: When I watch Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rodgers, Stafford, there is this air of confidence that they display where you just know that they are going to make the right play. Fans of teams that play these qbs always think to themselves before and during the game…”Man, there’s just no way to stop this guy.” Think about it, when Brees drops back to pass, isn’t it just assumed that he’s going to throw a dart for a completion, and that no matter how hard your corners try they just simply can’t stop him? Can you honestly say that you get that same kind of feeling when watching Eli? Too often I watch him and I think “Why does he look like a deer in headlights right now? Why does it seem like he has lost control of his offense and is confused out there?” He has his moments when he is brilliant, yes, but the elite ones never make you wonder, they simply perform every time.

43. ne4789 says: Jun 25, 2012 11:01 PM

Eli Manning is a good quarterback and is starting to become an elite one. His playoff performances are clutch and unfortunately made the plays over my hometown patriots in the Superbowl. I do think his spot should be a little higher but only in the top 25 where Jason Pierre-Paul would be higher ranked slightly higher. It is the “NFL Top 100″ not just offensive players who seem to always get the spot light. The top five should consist of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Calvin Johnson, Revis and Fitzgerald. For the Giants fans the player that really got the snub was Hakeem Nicks at 90.

44. touchdowncolston says: Jun 25, 2012 11:13 PM

Drew Brees tossed 4 tds and 400 yards in his last game outdoors. He had 2 should have been game winning drives and if not for Greg Williams’s blitzing may have went on to win the superbowl.

45. fuzzynuts55 says: Jun 25, 2012 11:24 PM

Eli no leader.
    Eli choker reg season.
    Eli lucky catch sb 1
    Eli bla bla bla…

46. skolvikesskol says: Jun 25, 2012 11:30 PM

Qbs id take over eli:
    Peyton
    Brady
    Brees
    Stafford
    Rogers
    Rothlesberger

So imo he is 7th best qb in league.., thats damn good!!! I still think he is a great qb… Sometimes he carries the team and sometimes he cant… But last year in particular he had a brilliant season with a mediocre cast and the drama of ny. I bet my vikes wld win 10 games every year with him at qb.

47. smstonerock says: Jun 25, 2012 11:31 PM

The thing that ends this debate is the fact we keep having this debate. There’s a reason why we don’t have this debate about R,B,B. IT’S CAUSE THEY’RE FREAKIN ELITE!

48. frankinman88 says: Jun 25, 2012 11:40 PM

“That whole list is a joke. Lardarius Webb was not ranked at all on the list. meanwhile guys like Finnegan, Asomugha, Carlos Rogers, Patrick Peterson, Champ Bailey, Woodson and Revis (not named yet but will be) all get ranked.Last I checked not allowing TD’s is what cornerbacks are supposed to do, and Webb did not allow a single one all year. Including the playoffs.”

Who the hell is Lardarius Webb?

49. smstonerock says: Jun 25, 2012 11:42 PM

randallflagg52 says:

“That whole list is a joke. Lardarius Webb was not ranked at all on the list.”

Don’t sweat it too much my friend, he simply hasn’t been in the league long enough for the masses to take notice. He is an outstanding corner, will be a household name soon enough. It’s the same thing with Stafford, they just don’t know yet. There are those that watch football and use their own brains and eyeballs to come to intelligent conclusions, and there are those that focus on stats and other conventional wisdoms and come to wrong ones.

50. zn0rseman says: Jun 26, 2012 12:06 AM

Flacco
    Rothlisberger

Nope.
    Not top 10.
    Not elite.
    Not even close.

Eli is a mediocre QB on a very good team who turned it on late and got some breaks in the post season.

51. cgsuddeath says: Jun 26, 2012 12:56 AM

I guarantee you that at the end of the day they will say that Brady is number 1 and that is a laughable joke considering Eli is 3-1 against Brady.

52. giantsfanlewis says: Jun 26, 2012 1:11 AM

Touch down colston quote stats for more then just one game. Like Ho 29 of his tds came at home and 37 came on turf fires. Remember he plays his divisional games in tampa(beautiful weather) and Atlanta in a dome. Brees is always playing in a nice climate. Hell north Carolina isn’t even to bad

53. giantsfan2104 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:17 AM

pturner81 says:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:16 PM
    he’s inconsistent therefore: not elite
    ==================================

Inconsistent? In 7 years as the starter, (He only played 7 games his rookie year) He’s had 3 consecutive 3000-yard seasons, followed by 3 consecutive 4000-yard seasons. (In addition to 2 Super Bowl MVP awards)

In 2010, he led the league in TDs, but he also threw 20+ INTs, so according to Giants haters, that means he sucks. (Funny how Drew Brees threw 22 INTs in 2010, and no one said a thing)

54. whoknowsnothing says: Jun 26, 2012 1:52 AM

I’m not a Giants fan, but Eli should have been higher, maybe top 15 or 10.
    The man has two Super Bowl rings and has the stats behind them. It helps to have a good defense, but try winning a game in this league with the backup QB. Look what happened to Chicago last year.

Only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Ravens could have wont their perspective SuperBowls with any QB, those defense’s were great!

55. rmavs says: Jun 26, 2012 1:59 AM

As a Vikings fan, it perplexes me when I see QB discussions unravel the way they do for teams that have a solid QB. Eli Manning beat the same team TWICE, to get SB rings. I would love to have a cube that was this good. Stats don’t lie. Eli is a top ten QB in the NFL. Watch the first two Super Bowls that New England won on Youtube. It wasn’t Brady….

56. briang123 says: Jun 26, 2012 4:01 AM

The Giants got every break known to man last season. I have never seen anything like it. There are a lot of people that see Manning for what he is. A good player who got luckier than anyone during two different playoff runs. If he played the World Series of Poker, he’d win by hitting every two-outer he needed on the river, the guy is so lucky.

57. warrenpeacephotography says: Jun 26, 2012 4:57 AM

Can we please try to get the facts straight? Eli Manning DID NOT “beat Tom Brady” in the super bowl. The team Manning plays for beat the team Brady plays for. There is more than one positing on the field, guys. “Quarterback wins” is the stupidest and most misleading stat in all of football.

58. griblets says: Jun 26, 2012 6:25 AM

txtroutslayer says:
    Jun 25, 2012 7:40 PM
    …he’s won one more Superbowl then his brother who has been dubbed the greatest quarterback in the modern era. So yes he should be in the top 10.

————————————————-

So Roethlisberger and Brady should also be in the top 10. That leaves 7 other spots.

Listening to everyone argue about this, players included, the top 10 should have about 50 players in it. Everyone can’t be top 10!

59. torturedraiderfan says: Jun 26, 2012 6:52 AM

This is a league where people keep saying its all about winning championships. Well, Eli keeps winning championships. All the other stats shouldn’t matter. The guys wins the games that count. That should put him near the top.

60. deathtoromo says: Jun 26, 2012 7:53 AM

The fact that Flacco made this list shows what a joke it is. That being said, Eli is definitely top 10 and I’m a skins fan.

61. bigbluefan1 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:05 AM

To all of you haters
    Would you really not trade your QB for the two time SB MVP?

Hate all you want Eli is the King of the NFL in the largest media market in the world.

He makes more money doing adds then most QBs make throwing a ball
    Eli is a class act playing in the toughest town there is.

There are hundreds of thousands of fans who know he is #1 so what ever a bunch of haters have to say who cares

62. tesdabest527 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:10 AM

Eli isn’t an elite QB because his defense won him one… oh wait.. two championships? Really? Hmmm, last I checked I can’t remember one team winning a Superbowl without a good defense. 2. How many more rings did Tampa and Baltimore win with their average QB’s? That would be ZERO. 3. Brady and his crew got the benefit of a cheating scheme to win at least one of their three superbowls (while continuing to play the easiest schedules to give them a chance to get to the Superbowl). 4. Before Rodgers won the Superbowl last year, he NEVER played clutch down the stretch of games (as evidenced by Farve beating him two times the previous year). 5. Brees is a great QB that throws picks at almost the same ratio as Eli. 6. All the non Giant fans really need to check out the Giants defense last year and our championship year, they sucked, and thankfully they woke up when their players got healthy. 7. The Giants had no running game. 8. The Giants try to run first (although they have a much better passing attack). 9. Eli has no ego, and doesn’t care where other players in the league or idiot bloggers rank him. 10. 2 time Superbowl Champion, and more importantly 2 time Superbowl MVP make his Elite and therefor top 10.

63. 10elite says: Jun 26, 2012 10:41 AM

The funny thing is, the person that probably cares the least about this list is Eli. He’s always been a heads-down, hard-working qb that doesn’t pay heed to talking heads. That’s fine by me. Keep talking about Tebow and Vick and Romo, etc., and let the Giants keep doing what they do.

64. touchdowncolston says: Jun 26, 2012 12:43 PM

First off whether anyone likes it or not Drew Brees is the greatest statistical playoff qb of all time check the stats. It like 24 tds to 4ints. Funny how excuses are made for everyone else but not Brees, in 2010 he played with a torn mcl the entire season and couldn’t throw a deep pass to save his life thus the 22 ints. Eli tossing 25 is eli being eli. If Rodgers, Brady or anyone else plays in a dome then I’m quite sure they would be off a bit when out of there element. We don’t really even play outdoor games and he has 9 tds to 6 ints outside in the regular season its not like he’s horrible. The saints have the best road record in the entire NFL for the past 3 years so once again I don’t know where people get this stereotype on Brees but its just stupid.

Drew Brees has 46 tds thats why nobody cares about ints last year because that was a fluke year. If you throw dam near 700 times a year you’re gonna throw picks yet he only had 14 and eli had 16.

If you look at int percentage Breed has one of the lowest in the league. And by implying Brees cant play out I can say eli cant play in because we’ve blown him out the past 2 times in domes. Eli is not elite nobody fears him. Only 3 elites in the league right now and 2 on the cusp Stafford and that other Manning playing his way back.

65. fastspecv says: Jun 26, 2012 1:34 PM

So Eli got on a hot streak at the right time and they won the Super Bowl so that means he’s a top 5 QB? My how quickly people forget that the Giants damn near missed the playoffs last year in an NFC East that was open for the taking. But yeah, he’s a top 5 QB :rolleyes:

66. giantsfanlewis says: Jun 27, 2012 12:15 PM

Touchdowncolston.

First off eli had a seperated sholder in 07 and played lights out. Second when eli had the serious foot injury nobody gave him excuses. Oh and look at the recievers in 2010. Eli was on the money, that’s why he had 31 tds with every reciever on the team injured and the scrubs tipping at least 17 of his picks into the defenders hands. But that’s just excuses.

End of the day eli is younger and been in the leauge less years and has more rings then brees. Have fun with the new peyton. Oh and no drew brees didnt beat eli. Drew brees beat the giants defense. Scoring at will. Let’s see brees win a game when his offense can’t stop the opposing from scoring the first 7 straight drives.