Brees believes Saints’ coaches are scared to stand up to the NFL

D. Brees Payton AP

The four players suspended in the Saints’ bounty program are loudly proclaiming that the NFL’s decision was unfair, and that they’re not done fighting. But the other four men suspended in the Saints’ bounty program have accepted their punishments and apologized. So why the difference?

Saints quarterback Drew Brees says it’s because former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, coach Sean Payton, General Manager Mickey Loomis and assistant head coach Joe Vitt fear that standing up to the NFL would only make things worse.

“I’ve been informed a lot of those coaches feel there are further sanctions being held over their head if they don’t cooperate with the investigation,” Brees said on The Dan Patrick Show. “If they were to speak out on behalf of the players, maybe that’s the fear they have.”

If that’s true, it’s a black mark against the NFL’s investigation: The Saints’ coaches should be encouraged to speak truthfully about what, exactly, happened during the three season when Williams was the defensive coordinator, and that should include truthful statements that contradict the NFL’s conclusions. They shouldn’t fear that they’ll be punished further for speaking up.

For his part, Brees says he simply wants to know the truth, and that he doesn’t believe the NFL’s evidence has provided the truth. Brees pointed out that the video that the NFL claims shows Anthony Hargrove saying “Give me my money,” in fact doesn’t show Hargrove’s mouth at the time those words are spoken. Brees raised the question of whether it was actually another Saints defensive lineman, Remi Ayodele, who said those words after hearing that Brett Favre was injured in the NFC Championship Game. Ayodele, like Hargrove, has denied saying that.

“Is it Hargrove, is it Remi Ayodele? There’s all these names thrown out there, it’s basically anybody that’s in that picture,” Brees said. “I really to this point have not seen any hard evidence, any proof, that shows that these guys were contributing money or accepting money for a pay-to-injure scheme.”

That’s a case that Brees and his fellow players are continuing to press against the NFL, even after their coaches have already waved the white flag and said there’s no fighting the league office.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Brees believes Saints’ coaches are scared to stand up to the NFL”
  1. eagleswin says: Jun 26, 2012 11:50 AM

——————————————–

Don’t worry. The players will always have you to support them no matter what they speculate.

Why don’t you find out why Bree’s was the point man on the NFLPAs coverup of the players involvement (per Pamphillon)? I see article after favorable article regarding Bree’s rants against the NFL yet I next to nothing regarding the Bree’s and Fujitas attempting to blame the coaches for the bounties?

The biggest question I have is, if there was nothing to cover up (as the players suggest) why was there a cover up? Let’s have some equal coverage.

2. sj39 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:51 AM

It just goes on and on. Everyone (Saints fans really) keeps looking for some technicality or sloppy police work to throw this into mistrial. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) this investigation was not conducted by law enforcement and it is not a court of law.

3. hey804 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:53 AM

I love my Saints, I really do. But Brees should sit this one out. He has enough to worry about right now and I highly doubt his opinion on the matter will help his team mates or coaches.

I’ve read through all the evidence and it seems clear what was going on. It’s a very grey area they were conducting themselves in. Players were encouraged to play aggressive and clean, as evidence to the lack of dirty hits and “cart-offs” over the last three seasons. However, if after a clean hit, the other player didn’t get up, then that was praised. So were players rewarded(and lets remember the verbal reward from coaches was more valuable than the $100-200 pay outs) to injure other players…I guess. But they were also penalized if they did it dirty.

I would consider Suh and Haynesworth to be 10x as dirty.

4. jonny42671 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:54 AM

Can someone please shut that classless clown up??

5. dikhurtz says: Jun 26, 2012 11:54 AM

Hey Drew, can you dig that hole a little deeper? Brees gives the term ” Motor Mouth ” true meaning. Hey Drew,how’s that contract deal coming along ??

6. explosionsauce says: Jun 26, 2012 11:54 AM

Please stop Drew. Let the coaches act like men and stick up for themselves.

7. walkingtalking1 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:55 AM

Maybe the coaches are being truthful, has Brees ever thought of that? Somebody said “…..give me my money”!

8. dadsfavorite says: Jun 26, 2012 11:57 AM

Brees must be living in another dimension where the bounty didn’t exist. How can you be that stupid, you were caught, except the punishment and move on, no one will remember it next year.

9. daysend564 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:58 AM

…or maybe they are being quiet because it is 100% true.

10. moecincydude says: Jun 26, 2012 11:59 AM

I am starting to not like Drew anymore, this guy is just crying about this thing repeatedly. Get over it, something happened and now people are going to get suspeneded.

11. emaimo80 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:01 PM

What about kill the head and I got the first one, per Greg Williams?

12. nypd1056 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:02 PM

“I’ve been informed a lot of those coaches feel there are further sanctions being held over their head if they don’t cooperate with the investigation,” Brees said. INFORMED BY WHO?

13. therealbrettfavre says: Jun 26, 2012 12:03 PM

Maybe Brees said “pay me my money” anticipating his current contract situation.

14. panther17 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:05 PM

_____________________________________

Regardless of is is Hargrove or Remi, if your now trying to determine who the defensive player who was saying “Give me my money” after thinking Favre was done for, does that not give you your evidence Mr. Brees that pay for injure was going on.

15. kattykathy says: Jun 26, 2012 12:06 PM

Of course the coaches don’t want to piss off the league and Goodell. Look at the railroading he is doing to the players and they have a union!!!!!!

Imagine what will happen to the coaches (who have no protection) if they ruin Goodells plan and contradict his “evidence”.

The coaches make good money and they know Goodell will do anything out of spite. So its a given that he will retaliate if they stand up and defend themselves.

The league has spun an innocent and widely practiced plan of pot cash for big plays and labeled it as something completely more sinister for Goodells own agenda and it is tarnishing peoples lives and reputations.

For the last freakin time, look at penalties called in the “bounty” games.
    Look at the misleading “evidence” Goodell keeps leaking to the gullible and blind followers in the media hand picked by the league to spin favorably.

There was no bounty system to intentionally hurt people.
    I call B.S. on everything Mr. Putin says

16. milehighguy1323 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:08 PM

To think I used to like this guy. I thought he was an outstanding guy. The more and more this guy opens his mouth, the more and more I am starting to dislike him. Not a Saints fan, but come on Brees, shut your mouth, sign a contract, and focus on some football and bringing back the Saints to a positive light again.

17. nfloracle says: Jun 26, 2012 12:08 PM

Focus on getting your contract done, Brees, and chill with your lame attempts at trying to pour honey over something that stinks to high heaven.

18. raiderinva says: Jun 26, 2012 12:08 PM

The more I listen to Drew Brees the more I realize just how clueless he is…

If I was sitting at work and my co-worker just got slapped and sent home for surfing PFT, do you honestly think I will do it as well?

Also, I don’t see any coaches in the NFL that have that demand for $20 million a year to fall back on. Especially if all they know is football and do not have another skill to support there family with.

When the head coach and GM both take it and keep the mouth shut, I would too.

19. jimw81 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:20 PM

Seems like Drew Brees still needs an explanation

20. eeerockski says: Jun 26, 2012 12:20 PM

“…it’s basically anybody that’s in that picture,” Brees said.

That’s the main point here, to me. Supposedly, Hargrove was suspended for lying during the investigation, not saying blah, blah my money. OK, I get that, but why not clarify that in the beginning so it doesn’t look like you’re just trying to cover up for screwing up your investigation?

The bigger thing to me is that there was a system in place, they all knew it, and now they’re saying you have to pin this one situation on a specific person to make the whole thing stick.

If four guys rob a bank, but only one is speaking during the robbery, is only he guilty? Heck no, cause they all planned it out and executed it. Same thing here, IMO.

21. nineroutsider says: Jun 26, 2012 12:21 PM

I still don’t understand why Saints fans, players, and even the owner aren’t more upset with the coaches and F.O. people that put them in this position. They were warned a few times to stop by the league, but they kept going. This is a huge part of why the league has been so harsh on them yet they seem to completely ignore it and instead continue to attack the league as unfair and all powerful. Weren’t they fair enough when asking them to stop the first few times? We would have never known about this had they simply stopped.

They have no one but themselves to blame and I don’t feel bad for any of them. It’s time to accept your punishment and get ready for ball. There are guys on death row who have accepted their punishments with more honor than these players and their union. At least the coaches have some honor that you can respect, while the players just continue to whine…

22. moagecu says: Jun 26, 2012 12:21 PM

Brees has had one of the worst off seasons in recent history. He has gone from one of the most popular players in the NFL to a whinning little girl.

He should stop giving his input on the bounty and worry about signing his contract.

23. crazybeardedjack says: Jun 26, 2012 12:24 PM

Whatever happens w/ these bounties, I’m really glad about one thing – the entire country and fans have seen Drew Brees for what he really is. Brees is a classless, selfish, “Me first” player. He’s always been, but his reactions to the bounty scandal from beginning to end have defined who he is as a person.

Drew Brees was an NFLPA rep, so he knew all about the terms of the CBA and what it meant for his fellow players. What did he do? He first tried to get himself exempted from the franchise tag, and then signed an agreement that hinders his fellow players.

Add into that the current contract situation. The Saints are in trouble, that’s obvious. Even if Vilma is somehow granted reprieve, they still won’t have Sean Payton for the entire season and Vitt/Loomis for part of it. If Brees WAS a true team guy he’d sign the franchise tender and let the team deal with the BIG problems they are facing. Instead, Brees is opening his mouth spewing idiotic statements every chance he gets and creating a contract squabble.

24. deeppurple23 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:26 PM

Hey Drew,

Maybe the coaches aren’t speaking out more is because they understand THEY’RE GUILTY” and the players seem to think that they can weasel their way out of the punishment. The fact that only 4 players are taking the bullet for the entire saints defense means that maybe, just maybe you should shut up and take your punishment like a man. Of course, if you’re not honorable, you can continue to cry about it…

25. kattykathy says: Jun 26, 2012 12:26 PM

raiderinva says:
    Jun 26, 2012 12:08 PM

“When the head coach and GM both take it and keep the mouth shut, I would too.”

**************************************

Willingly and lovingly too I bet.

Thank you Mr. Goodell, may I have another.

26. kattykathy says: Jun 26, 2012 12:28 PM

Problem is Mr. Goodell rammed and shafted the coaches against their will.
    Some of you people would “back it up” for him willingly and eagerly.

27. jerlee7 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:34 PM

What does it matter who said it? Or is he saying the other guy should be suspended instead?

28. vetdana says: Jun 26, 2012 12:42 PM

So now we see exactly what happens when, in the course of last years CBA negotiations, the emphasis is put on money and time off, instead of equal doses of due process…in the event of disagreements !

And remember this….it is a long time until the next CBA……

29. goodolebaghead says: Jun 26, 2012 12:44 PM

It’s so sad to hear all of you. I guess I can’t blame you, though, Goodell and the NFL have worked REALLY HARD to make sure you don’t get the whole story. The punishment for the Saints doesn’t even come close to fitting the crime. Also, guilty or not, Goodell shouldn’t make decisions with multi-million dollar implications based on hearsay and his own personal feelings. This entire fiasco has been nothing but propaganda from from the NFL, strategically leaking evidence that doesn’t stand up in the light of day. If you can all take your hate blinders off for one second, you will see that what Drew is saying makes perfect sense.

30. jpmelon says: Jun 26, 2012 12:46 PM

I can appreciate the guy sticking up for his teammates, but he’s calling his coaches cowards and liars.

I beleive that the coaches thought the program wasn’t a big deal, so they had no moral problem with denying it when they were asked by NFL officials. Once it was obvious that they were caught, they tried to minimize their punishment by cooperating.

The players have already seen their punishments, so they have nothing to lose by not cooperating at this point.

31. touchdowncolston says: Jun 26, 2012 12:47 PM

Nobody cares if you don’t like him he’s rich and has stats to prove he’s one of the all time greats your opinions are worthless.

Sean Payton and Greg Williams never admitted to bounties in any way, shape , or form. Brees is right they are being blackmailed into cooperating.

32. CKL says: Jun 26, 2012 12:48 PM

I understand he’s trying to be a team advocate here but the more this whole thing drags on, the more I appreciate the “silence is golden” mantra.

33. geauxjay says: Jun 26, 2012 12:50 PM

At this point I think the people on this site who post assinine anti-Saints comments are just doing it to convince themselves that the punishments are justified. Let go of the hate and get a life. It’s just football and you haven’t seen the evidence, so there is no way that you can know so firmly that it is true.

34. bcb1999 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:56 PM

I think Drew Brees has spent almost all of his “good will” capital in the last two offseasons. With his being a very public face of the players’ side last offseason, and now trying to find a way to make it look like nothing happened with Bountygate, his general likeability with the people is headed in the wrong direction quickly.

35. ghlatty says: Jun 26, 2012 1:01 PM

The coaches were busted for allowing a pay for performance incentive even after they were told to stop it, if it existed. They did not and were punished. There is no evidence that the players were told that the NFL warned the team to stop this. Yes, the players are probably guilty for funding the kitty. This is very different than the coaches contributing money to the kitty, which would bring on salary cap issues. If the players contributed money, those funds were already deducted from the salary cap. The most important issue to me is whether the players were trying to just make great plays or were they actually trying to hurt someone.

36. kcchiefsfandave says: Jun 26, 2012 1:06 PM

Brees is trying to play advocate for his team mates. Did anyone think Dan Patrick wouldn’t ask the question if he had Brees on?

Yes Brees has said quite a bit. Maybe too much. He still has the right to voice an opinion and it doesn’t change all the good he’s done off the field.

These players will stay suspended and we won’t stop hearing about it even after the first ball is kicked off. Goodell will get his way guilty or not.

37. skodi says: Jun 26, 2012 1:07 PM

geauxjay

At this point I think the people on this site who post assinine PRO-Saints comments are just doing it to convince themselves that the punishments are NOT justified. Let go of the BIAS and get a life. It’s just football and you haven’t seen the evidence, so there is no way that you can know so firmly that it is NOT true.
    ———————
    That street runs both ways.
    Just sayin.

38. mrpilsner says: Jun 26, 2012 1:11 PM

There was no bounty system to intentionally hurt people.
    I call B.S. on everything Mr. Putin says

39. moagecu says: Jun 26, 2012 1:19 PM

Saints fans make Morris Claiborne look intelligent

40. sdpaulson says: Jun 26, 2012 1:23 PM

I think Goodell over reaches for “brand issue” and has tendancy to cave on a lot of “political” correctness issues. I also think the game is being stiffled by various other issues….. I’ve watched for 40+ years, but that’s why the NFL has been losing me as a fan.

Think about it really, what are defensive players “paid” to do anyway?? Knock the ever living pi$$ out of the other guy, regardless if he gets up or not.

It’ll never happen but I think it would be just hillarious if on opening game the Saints players come out in solidarity and refuse to play this year… “F” Goodell and the league right in the pocket book. Then the game would get back to being for the players again in a big da.mn hurry.

41. musicman495 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:27 PM

vetdana says: Jun 26, 2012 12:42 PM

And remember this….it is a long time until the next CBA……
    ————————————-
    And I am sure the people who keep saying, “You signed the CBA, so shut up” would have been the first to back the players taking a firm stand on this “Commissioner” provision if it meant cancelling last year’s season. Yeah, right.

42. larryjames836 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:28 PM

Maybe Drew Brees is speaking for a reason he were there we at our homes so we going off of hearsay so we don’t know who lying or who telling the truth. With the NFL having all the documents and the so call witnesses the Saints organization doesn’t have anything. So who is it to say the Saints had part in this bounty program we must remember some of these witnesses the NFL has are former Saints employees. Who may have planted these documents in places and download the documents on the computer when they was first ask about bounty program the was No, maybe they were telling the truth. They were ask that in 2009 why didn’t the NFL go in then and gather the documents then because there was know documents at that time there is know way a team can have 50,000 pages of bounty program. Someone else did this to the Saints this is why the NFL didn’t want know witnesses at the appeal.

43. sterling7 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:31 PM

That’s because the coaches are not a “sacred cow” like Brees is.

44. jason1980 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:40 PM

It’s not so much that there are a lot of anti-Saints comments, Mike Smith carries the NFL water, and only comments that are anti-Saints are selected. Objective journalism Mike, remember. Censor me if you will, facts are facts.

45. letmesetyoustraight says: Jun 26, 2012 1:40 PM

I’m amazed at all the “Drew Brees is classless” comments.

Do a google search on “drew brees charity work” and peruse the results. Taking up for his teammates and coaches is what a leader should do. I’ll bet he is in the top three in the league amongst players on the amount of time he donates and money he raises for great causes.

46. kacapaco says: Jun 26, 2012 1:44 PM

I’m feeling Drew is becoming a douche bag. Why he would throw the coaches under the bus for his publicity? He is stinking.

47. moagecu says: Jun 26, 2012 1:45 PM

@sdpaulson.. You are an idiot, if the saints sit out out doesn’t do anything but F over the Saints. Where does the organization make money when they have no games?

This also leads to thousands of part time employees losing their jobs.

48. bullcharger says: Jun 26, 2012 1:48 PM

Brees doesn’t want to know the truth, Brees wants there to be no suspensions to coaches or players so they have a chance to win this year. He has no interest in the truth.

49. binkystevens says: Jun 26, 2012 1:53 PM

————-

How about earlier in your discussion when an unnamed player on your sidelines said “give me my money”. It doesn’t matter whether it was Hargrove or not; someone still said it

50. whodatsaybaby says: Jun 26, 2012 1:54 PM

Ahhh, you media mignions are killing me with this Saints bashing. Answer me this. If you trully hate the organization so much, why would you even waste the time to make your comments? Or……. Is it because if the truth gets out there and the team (SAINTS) get cleared of the accusations, your teams(ANY OTHER TEAM) chances of the playoffs get quite a bit smaller. All of you ”COMPUTER LAWYERS” make little to no sense and I hope your tushies get chapped when the Saints ink up 40+ points on your teams this year. Say it aint so, and make yourself look like a bigger idiot…………..

51. deeppurple23 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:55 PM

———————

This would be funny, of course all the players would get cut, not picked up and loss a boat load of money. The Saints would get “scabs” and the NFL would move on. So I guess the only pocket book getting crunched would be the players. Four players are being punished and mostly minor punishments, it’s not about the “penalties” that were called, it’s about a the team/players having an organized system around the rules/spirit of the game. Play hard, but fair. Get a grip. Oh and I’m sure that Vilma will be filing a law suit for concussion issues here in about 10 years, mark it down now.

52. nard100 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:57 PM

geauxjay says:
    Jun 26, 2012 12:50 PM

_______________________________

Interesting take on things. OK then since the rest of us are all deluded please explain the following:

1) “First one’s on me”

3) Williams quote to NFL investigators that they were, “rolling the dice with player safety and someone could have been maimed.”

4) The picture of Dog the Bounty hunter on internal documentation and the word “bounty” and COLLECTING it on internal documentation.

5) No matter how you slice it, when you watch the video of Joe Vitt talking about Favre possibly getting CARTed OFF, what was the player’s expectation if that was the case? He said it loud and clear. To get paid. Period.

If Joe Vitt was so cowed by the NFL and in fear of reprisal, why would he be stupid enough to offer to take a lie detector test and openly and publicly question Goodell’s decision? I don’t hate the Saints. I’m a Giants fan and my team won the SB.

It seems Saints fans like to talk about the lack of payouts but not the offers that were made in the first place. If you offer a hitman money to kill someone, but they don’t do it, are you going to jail for offering? Yep you are.

Lastly, Fujita tries to minimize everything, but his own words set off my BS meter loud and clear –

a) He admits Williams made some innappropriate offers

b) He says he didn’t participate in a “bounty” program, but he did contribute money to a pay-for-performace pool. We are expected to believe that pool did not offer payouts to “cart offs”. Let me illustrate why asking us to believe this is more than a little disingenuous. If you you put in money for a lottery pool for the powerball lottery and one of the tickets wins, but not your ticket exactly, what is your expectation? Isn’t it that you expect a share of the winnings? That’s the whole idea of a money pool. Once you put your money in, you’re in no matter what. The documentation form the team (via team pc’s) had a ledger item for “cartoffs”. Goodell didn’t edit the documentation, your team wrote it. If Fujita, put money in and he admitted that he did, then part of his money was offered for cartoffs. Period. The fact that nobody get paid for one doesn’t excuse the fact that it was offered as an incentive in the first place.

53. mogogo1 says: Jun 26, 2012 2:03 PM

The players union has essentially taken the position that the bounties happened, but it was all the coaches doing and there’s no proof players did anything wrong. Agree with that stance or not, there’s at least some logic to it.

Brees, meanwhile, has drawn his line in the sand in a much odder place, questioning from the beginning whether there were ever bounties at all. Thus, he’s left with implausible explanations for the coaches admitting their guilt. Why he hasn’t simply adopted the union stance (the union he’s a leader of, by the way) remains a mystery. Perhaps it is pure ego and he cannot bring himself to admit his team did anything wrong. Whatever the reason, he’s becoming a laughingstock.

54. lawyermalloy says: Jun 26, 2012 2:07 PM

Welcome to “BIG” business! It’s just they way it is!

55. tulsacyfan says: Jun 26, 2012 2:12 PM

As a Saints fan, this has been an awful spectacle to see play out. Should the franchise be punished – absolutely. Should Gregg Williams be banned from football – yes. However, Goodell is taking this bounty thing and safety to a ridiculous extreme. Football is a violent game, period. Anonymous tiplines, eliminating kickoffs – seriously? Under these standards a lot of the Raiders players from the seventies would be in the pen for actual hits they had in games.

This is the woosification of America at its finest. All these players now criticizing the game and saying they would not allow their sons to play the game are hypocrites. This is very easy to say – after they have made their millions. Their sons don’t NEED to play the game, as their families have made their money off the game already.

You can make the game safer to an extent, but the main thing that will make it safer for the long-term health of the players is the length of their careers. NFL careers of in excess of 10+ years are more the issue in my mind than a bounty scheme that lacks video evidence of almost any truly dirty hits.

56. smillr58 says: Jun 26, 2012 2:30 PM

The Saints are classless, period.

57. purpleguy says: Jun 26, 2012 2:38 PM

Could another Lion please get arrested so all this Saints crap will stop?

58. thejuddstir says: Jun 26, 2012 2:47 PM

I wonder who “informed” Drew Brees……probably Fajita, Taco Vilma and Burrito who are suspended. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Just trying to stir up more unconfirmed controversy, for Stains fans and players (including Brees)..it’s proof that after awhile, perception does indeed become reality for some people.

59. panamon says: Jun 26, 2012 2:55 PM

“accepting money for a pay-to-injure scheme”

What about the report with a player saying “sometimes people were injured (and we got paid)”. Guess that’s convenient to ignore, like everything Brees was involved in with Pamphilon he’s covering up.

60. saintsfan26 says: Jun 26, 2012 3:02 PM

1) “First one’s on me” 2) “”It was a terrible mistake,” Williams said in a statement Friday night shortly after the NFL released the report. “And we knew it was wrong while we were doing it.”

a) He admits Williams made some innappropriate offers

______________
    I will answer all of your questions and then i will ask you a few questions.
    answers:
    1. First one’s on me is probably referring to a fine that a player might receive when he hits Alex Smith. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it a bounty? No. Does it go on all over the league? Probably.
    2. It was a terrible mistake because any type of pay for performance is against the rules. This still doesnt prove they were “targeting” opponents. It just means that pay for performance is against the rules. Williams admits it was a mistake.
    3. You roll the dice on player safety every time you take the field. Nothing in any of the NFL’s evidence shows that the Saints were playing dirty. Their entire pay for performance program was designed to reward players for good plays that were within the rules of the game. Big hits are celebrated as good plays by every team in the league. Thats part of playing defense, and has been a part of football since day 1.
    4. The picture of Dog the Bounty hunter was a motivational slide. Nothing more. Gregg Williams also used a slide of an F-18 fighter jet. Does that mean he is planning an air strike against his opponent? Is he secretly plotting an attack using the Air Force? Come on man.
    5. The players were happy that Favre was out of the game and for good reason. It was the NFC Championship game. Most of us believe Ayodele said give me my money. But wait a minute.. Ayodele wasnt the one who hurt Favre’s ankle. Mccray was. So if this program was designed to intentionally hurt opponents, then why would Ayodele get paid? McCray is the one who rolled on his ankle. This just further proves the point that there was not really a “bounty” on Favre, but it was simply just the pay for performance program that paid for “cart-offs.” Favre was not necessarily “targeted” but he was injured due to a legal football play.

If you go back to March 2nd, the day the NFL released it’s initial findings, you will see many flaws in the NFL’s “evidence”. The NFL punished the Saints based off of ALL of those findings. But when ou look at those findings today, 75% were found to be not true, not credible, and some are just plain ridiculous.

As a Saints fan, i am not happy with what my team has done, but i am also not happy with the way the NFL has handled this whole mess. So now here are the questions i will ask you, and i will remind you again that we were punished for ALL of these reasons. Now you tell me if you believe the punishments should stay the exact same way the are right now, even though the NFL’s findings are not the exact same as what is really the truth.

1. The NFL claims the Saints “targeted” Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton and Kurt Warner. There has been no evidence shown for targeting Warner. The other 2 are based off of the Ornstein emails, which are clear to everbody to be a joke. The dude was in prison for crying out loud.
    2. The NFL claims the ledger proves that Vilma contributed 10k to knock Favre out. Well heres the thing.. that same ledger also has Joe Vitt’s name on it. The NFL acknowledged that Vitt was never accused of contributing money. Ok so then what the hell is that ledger talking about? The ledger loses any credibility just due to that fact alone.
    3. The NFL stated in their initial findings that the ledger that was leaked out and then revised, “confirms” that Saints players were paid for injuring opponents. But when you look back at the games the ledger is referring to, none of it matches up.
    4. The NFL claimed that Harper got paid for knocking Jacobs out of a game, but watch the tape, Harper didnt even make the hit. Sharper did.

The list goes on and on. The NFL has screwed this up royally. So now i ask you, since the NFL punished the Saints based off of their initial findings, and now that it has been proven that their initial findings are barely even halfway correct, dont you think the punishments should be reduced?

Common sense tells me yes.

61. goodolebaghead says: Jun 26, 2012 3:45 PM

Say what you want, Drew Brees has more integrity than anyone posting on this board. Why does he want so much money? Probably because he knows of a lot of charities that could use it.

62. jcaro5566 says: Jun 26, 2012 3:59 PM

Maybe the fairest thing to do to make this all go away is to suspend the entire Saints team, players and coaches, for the entire year since they were told once to end their pay for performance program and chose to ignore it. There is no denying that and the video is concrete evidance that even O.J. could not get away with.

Would that work for you Drew? This way everyone gets penalized and scum like you don’t get away with lying like you did when you claimed to not know anything about it!

63. glac1 says: Jun 26, 2012 4:03 PM

I wouldn’t stand up to them either… They know the got by with a slap on the wrist.

64. cowboyscanada says: Jun 26, 2012 7:38 PM

Shut your lying mouth Brees!

65. paulwells98 says: Jun 27, 2012 11:45 AM

Here’s a question: What are all of you going to say, if it does come out that this was strictly a pay for performance program, NOT a pay for injury program? There is a huge difference! I don’t think any Saint fan anywhere, is trying to act like nothing happened! Of course there was a program in place, the question is, was there intent of malice, and BY THE PROOF PRESENTED there is none there. Do you honestly think the Saints are going to be the last team to deal with this issue? You’re kidding yourself. Just know, when this same thing comes down on your teams’ heads, and it will, all of the wonderful comments you’ve made here….. I certainly will, and I will also be here to remind you of it, when you are trying to defend your team.