Brett Favre: Tony Romo is the quarterback most like me

favreromo Getty Images

Of all the active quarterbacks in the NFL, one catches Brett Favre’s eye as more like him than anyone else: Tony Romo.

In an interview with Deion Sanders on NFL Network, Favre discussed what he likes about several active quarterbacks. But he said the one who plays the game the way he played it is Romo.

“Romo is probably more like me than any of those guys,” Favre said. “I think way too much is cast upon him, good or bad. It’s Dallas, and much is expected. He’s carried those guys. I watched him last year, and I like Tony. I like the way he plays. I think at times he’s underrated.”

The most common knock on Romo is that the Cowboys have only won one playoff game in his time in Dallas, but both Favre and Sanders suggested that that’s a problem with Romo’s teammates. Specifically, they both agreed that other players on the Cowboys’ offense often look like they don’t know what they’re doing.

“I’m watching him, right before the snap, he’s telling guys–” Favre said.

“They don’t know what they’re doing,” Sanders interjected.

“How in the world are you going to have a positive play when the ball is coming and you’re telling guys?” Favre said, motioning as if Romo is having to point to his teammates where they’re supposed to line up.

An ability to make plays even when his teammates don’t know what they’re doing may speak well for Romo. But it doesn’t say much for the Cowboys’ coaching staff.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
82 Responses to “Brett Favre: Tony Romo is the quarterback most like me”
  1. teamocil19 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:14 PM

Did Romo text Favre a photo or something?

2. njdevil7 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:14 PM

That’s actually a pretty good comparison.

3. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jun 26, 2012 8:15 PM

Does he mean over rated? Or most likely to send a picture of his junk to Jenn Sturger?…allegedly.

4. jdandcoke says: Jun 26, 2012 8:15 PM

its obvious then that coaching, or a lack thereof, is the problem.

5. natelan69 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:17 PM

That’s a huge insult to Romo.

6. hey804 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:20 PM

I can see that…

7. bobhk says: Jun 26, 2012 8:20 PM

Hmm…Aikman thinks Romo is better than him, Staubach likes him, Favre likes him, and on and on….
    It’s funny that he’s done nowhere near what those guys have and yet the blame goes to his supporting cast.

8. chickenneck says: Jun 26, 2012 8:21 PM

If by “most like you”, you mean most people wish he would just go away, then yes Brett, he’s exactly like you.

9. bobleblah says: Jun 26, 2012 8:21 PM

Add another plaintiff to the concussion lawsuit.

10. mikejonesforum says: Jun 26, 2012 8:22 PM

Favre to Dallas! You heard here first.

11. mavajo says: Jun 26, 2012 8:22 PM

Great in the regular season? Check.
    Chokes in the playoffs? Check.

Yup, you’re right, Brett.

12. trefkennedy says: Jun 26, 2012 8:22 PM

Knew it was bound to happen either sooner or later, now as expected the that hate spewing at Tony Romo commence smh

13. kja22 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:23 PM

So he likes crocs too?

14. patriots123456 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:24 PM

You mean Romo skips training camp and works out with the local high school football team?

Is he emailing bimbos on the sideline pictures of his sex organs?

How many times has Romo retired and unretired?

No, I don’t think he is just like you Brett!

15. kiltherl says: Jun 26, 2012 8:25 PM

Alright y’all go easy on brett….they are famous…they can be stupid too…

16. fwbrodie says: Jun 26, 2012 8:25 PM

Romo’s stock just went up.

17. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 26, 2012 8:26 PM

Romo gets knocked a lot because he’s just a doofus sometimes. I’ll never forget his fumble at the 1 and his last minute INT to Revis on 9/11.

18. fwbrodie says: Jun 26, 2012 8:26 PM

patriots123456, you must not be very old if that’s how you remember Brett Favre.

19. gazinkus says: Jun 26, 2012 8:27 PM

I’ve been a Cowboy fan since the Craig Morton days (yeah, I’m older than dirt…). And I still say that Romo is the best QB the Cowboys have ever had, except for Staubach. Sorry, Troy.

Aikman and Staubach both had better supporting casts. Romo has had to make do – either with a patchwork line, dumbass wide receivers, weak running backs, crappy kickers, or a lame defense. But he’s made no excuses.

Yeah, he has made some blunders. Name me one QB who doesn’t. Even so, he flat-out carried the Cowboys the last two years.

Heres to the hope that finally he has a decent supporting cast this year and can finally shut up some of the haters.

20. nyyjetsknicks says: Jun 26, 2012 8:27 PM

Can we please stop listening to people from Mississippi please?

21. billsfan27 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:27 PM

I didn’t know Favre wanted to be a pro golfer, too! Wow!

22. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:27 PM

So Romo has a small unit, too?

We already knew he lacked jingle bells…

23. Wisconsin77 says: Jun 26, 2012 8:28 PM

A great compliment to Romo, indeed.

24. Jason says: Jun 26, 2012 8:59 PM

What was that website? FireJasonGarrett.com? HA HA! Cowboys coaching is the problem!

25. ~Hate~ says: Jun 26, 2012 9:00 PM

Funny…. well not really, that he mentions Brady, Brees, Romo, Rivers but no mention of the guy that got him booted from Green Bay…. and my favorite qb, the People’s Champ: Aaron Rodgers.

Is Brett still hatin’?

26. upperdecker19 says: Jun 26, 2012 9:16 PM

In your final year, much more comparable to Tebow without a cell phone.

27. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 26, 2012 9:40 PM

Tony was telling Dez Bryant which direction he was supposed to run if he caught the ball.

28. randallflagg52 says: Jun 26, 2012 9:40 PM

What Favre is really trying to say is that Romo is a better golfer than QB.

29. spankygreen says: Jun 26, 2012 9:41 PM

EXCUSES, EXCUSES………….

30. drunkenjunk says: Jun 26, 2012 9:52 PM

he’s like you past 2000, the erratic you that was a crap shot.

31. firewolf777 says: Jun 26, 2012 9:54 PM

He is good, idk why people doubt him

32. micker716 says: Jun 26, 2012 9:58 PM

Except for that pesky Super Bowl win.

33. jacobslatter says: Jun 26, 2012 9:59 PM

I didn’t know Tony Romo likes to get drunk as a skunk. :D

34. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 26, 2012 10:02 PM

If Dallas fixes their Defense there will be no more excuses…

Romo is a good QB

35. spiderpack says: Jun 26, 2012 10:08 PM

Everyone knows this. He was compared a lot to BF in his early years.

36. jjbadd says: Jun 26, 2012 10:08 PM

Well, if anyone knows the QB position, its Brett Favre. I don’t get all the disrespect about one of the greatest to ever play. I’m not even a Packer, Jets, or Viking fan, but BF is one of the toughest, SOB’s to ever suit up. I getting more & more, to where I despise “fans” these days, because they aren’t “football fans”……one of the all-time iron men of the sport retires, & all some remember is pics of his Johnson. All you haters just root for the team that’s winning this year…come back when you respect the game of football, of course Goodell is making it hard! I pull for the Broncos, but I won’t forget what the great players do for the game, & Favre, although annoying with the retirement thing at the end of his career, was everything a qb should aspire to be.

37. vincentbojackson says: Jun 26, 2012 10:12 PM

Romo wears Wranglers?

38. reasonableeaglefan says: Jun 26, 2012 10:18 PM

Can they be talking about anyone but Dez Bryant??

39. broadstbully says: Jun 26, 2012 10:24 PM

I’ve felt this way for a few years, now. Romo’s a Favrian gunslinger, at his core. And, in flashes, he’s scary good. Just like Favre. I think Romo can win it all, if the rest of his team plays at the level they’re capable of. I say this as an Eagles fan.

40. warhol63 says: Jun 26, 2012 10:41 PM

Eagle fan has it right. Romo is scary good a lot of the time. He does take chances like Favre and the results are some good some bad. Has the talent on paper around him but it does seem like they are not on the same page especially at crunch time. He will have plenty of critics until Dallas makes a deep playoff run but he has the physical and mental makeup to get them there.

41. jpk6044 says: Jun 26, 2012 10:42 PM

Well, they’re both definitely interception machines…

42. mediasloppy says: Jun 26, 2012 10:49 PM

I always thought Romo was like Brett. I think Rodgers does too. The little skip dance after a TD and butt slapping type of things. Just having fun and still being serious.

43. MCxShow says: Jun 26, 2012 10:58 PM

Translation: Tony Romo is the quarterback most like me because no one else throws as many interceptions late in the game that hurt their team. -Favre

44. patsfanvt says: Jun 26, 2012 11:00 PM

Romo’s time in the playoffs is coming. You have to respect the toughness he has shown playing through injuries and acknowledge that he has obvious skills. Something that may hold him back is the fact that the Cowboys seem to acquire players with little regard to intelligence or character.

45. packersbound says: Jun 26, 2012 11:10 PM

At teamocli19, your comment is pretty stupid airhead!

46. greenandgold1972 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:12 PM

broadstbully says:
    Jun 26, 2012 10:24 PM
    _________________

I will never take away what Favre brought to GB, but you are giving Romo the same excuse. If only the rest of the team would play that hard … no, if only the QB would make the right decisions first, then if the WR would catch the balls and if the D would step up, And I include GB-NYG game there, from start to finish

47. staffordsyear says: Jun 26, 2012 11:12 PM

Maybe..but romo wont be around neeeaarrrly as long.

48. jjrs89 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:22 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Espn reports Romo has texted a picture of his dong draper to Rachel Nichols

49. 84sgl says: Jun 26, 2012 11:26 PM

Like the Ravens, you put the cowboys in a less competitive division and both might have faired better in the post season.. The NFC east is brutal. In these days there is sooo much ridicule and negativity that fans would rather diss players to try to be funny than recognizing the immense talent before our eyes. While you guys have your laughs, I will be enjoying the likes of Romo, Tiger Woods, Lebron James, etc. all athletes are unique and the talented ones potentially have what it takes to be a once in a generation.. don’t miss out people. Stat for stat, Romo is probably te best Cowboy QB in decades

50. keeppounding says: Jun 26, 2012 11:52 PM

Nah… He chokes. Google choke artist and a picture of tony romo pops up.

51. backdraft440 says: Jun 27, 2012 12:21 AM

Brett Favre is a pervert who text’s pictures of his junk! Who cares what this washed up perv thinks

52. mgdsquiggy17 says: Jun 27, 2012 12:24 AM

“nyyjetsknicks says: Jun 26, 2012 8:27 PM

Can we please stop listening to people from Mississippi please?”

And instead listen (or read what was typedd) to a jets-knicks fan? no thanks. I’d rather listen to Farve here.

53. mgdsquiggy17 says: Jun 27, 2012 12:27 AM

“and my favorite qb, the People’s Champ: Aaron Rodgers.

Is Brett still hatin’?”

No I think you are hating. Rodgers does not remind me of Farve at all so I don’t see what you are complaining about here. He said most like him not that Romo was a better QB then Rodgers.

54. ravens89 says: Jun 27, 2012 1:20 AM

Does this mean that Romo is going to retire and un-retire 4 or 5 times per off-season for 3 years at the end of his career also?

55. billzbubb says: Jun 27, 2012 1:21 AM

I don’t like the Cowboys. They are always overrated. But, I wish my team had Romo at QB instead of what they’ve had the past two decades.

Aside from the personal stuff, Favre’s comparison is actually pretty good. Romo is like Favre on the field, but not off of it.

56. benchwarmer69 says: Jun 27, 2012 1:40 AM

If you mean a gunslinger that can choke away big games, or toss up interceptions like they’re candy,..then sure, I guess they’re quite the same.

Although, I would rather have Favre @QB than Romo. At least he’s proved something.

57. steelers4385 says: Jun 27, 2012 2:20 AM

Who cares.

58. granadafan says: Jun 27, 2012 2:41 AM

By all accounts Romo is loved by his teammates. Brett’s teammates mostly despised him. Favre had his own locker room changing area and his own parking space. No other player had such accommodations. No other player had a private jet to escort him back from home to training camp after the grueling 2 a days were done.

59. bambamlam25 says: Jun 27, 2012 2:48 AM

Question: why do all you Romo haters always read article about the cowboys? Can you say scared for whats to come in 2012….comment about your own team and if you actually watch a full cowboys game instead of Espn analyst who only comment to gain controversy bc that whats they get paid for, then you would kno how great Romo is.. Thank you brett farve romo will forever begreatful to be compared to you. You are his idol…

60. kcchiefsfandave says: Jun 27, 2012 3:10 AM

jdandcoke says:

“its obvious then that coaching, or a lack thereof, is the problem.”

…and lack of a GM.

61. joetoronto says: Jun 27, 2012 4:58 AM

natelan69 says:
    Jun 26, 2012 8:17 PM
    That’s a huge insult to Romo.
    ***************************************************
    You’re a huge insult to the human race.

62. jcg23 says: Jun 27, 2012 5:50 AM

I love the Romo is an INT machine. Eli Manning, the guy that won the Superbowl has 16 INTs last year to Romo’s 10 with 2 more TD and 749 less yards to have to do it in.

I can go on if you like, but I know it won’t matter. Cam Newton threw for 17 last year and only 21 TD and you are worshiping him as a God.

63. packfaninchitown says: Jun 27, 2012 6:38 AM

And Rodgers is better than you…deal with it.

64. jpb12 says: Jun 27, 2012 7:12 AM

Romo needs a Desmond Howard to win a super bowl for him

Stats are for losers

65. jimbo75025 says: Jun 27, 2012 7:32 AM

packfaninchitown says:Jun 27, 2012 6:38 AM

And Rodgers is better than you…deal with it.
    ————–

I am not a huge fan of either, but Rodgers has a loooong way to go before he should be mentioned as better than Favre. 4 years as s starter does not a career make and face it Rodgers is not a spring chicken. Even with all of the hoopla Mr Discount Double Checks playoff record at this time is one game over .500 and all of the wins came in one year if I remember correctly.

66. markdamack says: Jun 27, 2012 8:40 AM

It’s funny this INT thing keeps popping up in you peoples argument. It proves you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Brady, Flacco, Ryan, Brees, Vick, Manning, Newton, Rivers, Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Big Ben, Stafford…I could keep going…all threw more INT’s last year than Romo.

Of those…only Stafford, Brees, and Brady threw for more TD’s

He hasn’t had an O-line…like, ever. He makes his WR’s. Witten was just another TE until he came along. The defense has been absolutely garbage aside from Ware, Ratliff in flashes, and just recently Lee. He’s never had a consistant RB.

I don’t mind the comparison, but where Romo has been blamed for losses…he’s never had the luxury of having anyone to bail him out of a bad game. If he has an off game, the Cowboys lose…period.

67. baddorange says: Jun 27, 2012 8:44 AM

Shut up Favre, you loser. One Super Bowl win, is not that much to bray about. Go sit in your rednec k wranglers

68. essentialsausage says: Jun 27, 2012 8:46 AM

Romo is great. People that think he’s a bad QB don’t understand football.

69. billymc75 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:37 AM

Duh! An above avg QB on a below avg team, and people still blame him, small mined people.

70. broncosnative says: Jun 27, 2012 9:50 AM

Roll wont ever win a ring in dallas with jerry jones in control on every aspect the team does. He’s the only owner that you Would see ever Sunday on the sidelines like he’s telling everybody how to do their jobs. It’s gonna take romo to go to another team if he wants any chance at getting a superbowl ring. Times running out and I don’t see him as a future HOFer with only 1 playoff win on his resume’, he has a long way to go and short time to do it.

71. broncosnative says: Jun 27, 2012 9:52 AM

Romo wont ever win a ring in dallas with jerry jones in charge on every aspect the team does. He’s the only owner that you Would see ever Sunday on the sidelines like he’s telling everybody how to do their jobs. It’s gonna take romo to go to another team if he wants any chance at getting a superbowl ring. Times running out and I don’t see him as a future HOFer with only 1 playoff win on his resume’, he has a long way to go and short time to do it.

72. gnutella0 says: Jun 27, 2012 10:13 AM

Since 2008, Tony Romo’s INT rate is 2.3%. That’s hardly an “INT machine.”

73. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 27, 2012 10:17 AM

I have been saying the same thing for years. Romo is a River-Boat Gambler, goes for it all on just about every play. He uses his feet, improvises, and plays the game with such passion, just like Brett did. The only thing lacking from Romo’s game is the underhand toss/pass, classic Brett. I would take that as a compliment, regardless of what the no-nothing fools above have stated. I find it funny that somebody mentioned Choking in the Playoffs.. Umm… 15-1… and Done! Sure, Favre had some epic picks on his resume, but it took him almost 12 seasons to lose a home playoff game, Rodgers did it on his first try. Favre also navigated the Pack to back-back Superbowls, Rodgers has yet to do so. Favre is a 4-time MVP, and should have been a 5th in ’09. Favre holds all major Passing records, Rodgers will never sniff them even if he throws for 5,000 yards a season. I like watching Romo play because he plays the game like it is a game. That smile, and competetive spirit he has reminds me of ole’ #4, which is definetly a good thing.

74. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 27, 2012 10:20 AM

Whoops, sorry, 3-time MVP, should of had his fourth in ’09.

75. gmacbigd says: Jun 27, 2012 10:54 AM

Romo doesnt turn the ball over near as often as Favre. This is one case that perception is different than reality.

76. juvenaldelinquent says: Jun 27, 2012 11:10 AM

Generally pretty good but cracks under pressure, and everyone else is supposed to take the heat. Sounds about right. Romo’s only failure was not being savvy enough to play on a team that was one of the best of the modern era like the ’96 Packers. And of course to complete the comparison, all Romo has to do is hand public ultimatums to Jones and try and be the de facto GM, and then when he’s not allowed to go to the Eagles to “stick it” to the Cowboys. And don’t any of you Cowboy fans think you can hold it against him.

77. juvenaldelinquent says: Jun 27, 2012 11:25 AM

———————————-

Bills fan? What would you think of Jim Kelly if he spent 2 years waffling, then 3 years of ultimatums, dictating which linemen had to be retained, brokering free agent deals, and expecting sign off on drafts even in retirement only to get himself worked up so that he spent 2 years playing for the Dolphins so he could “stick it” to the Bills? Just forgive and forget because he got you to those 4 Super Bowls, or do you let reality affect your overall attitude?

As for what Rodgers will or won’t do for his personal numbers, he’s already been a part of success where it counts for my team. Circa 1978 when I watched my Packers lose at noon and the Cowboys win at three, I didn’t hope and dream that I would be able to watch a stat based QB run up some numbers, let his ego get out of control, and burn his legacy, I just wanted my TEAM to be the Cowboys. And, by and large, the Packers have been over the last 20 years. Favre was a part of that. But when he thought he was MORE than a part, that’s when things went down the drain. And currently the Packers have been arguably the best team in the league over the last three years, and are odds on favorite for next year. Can’t ask for much more than that.

And when Rodgers starts dictating in public who the coach has to be, or goes for three nights on Greta to throw the team under the bus, and goes to the Bears specifically to “stick it” to the Packers, then no matter he has done, or will do, will preserve any legacy. It will be burned just as thoroughly as Favre has burned his. Of course the big difference is Rodgers has an IQ over his shoe size so the likelihood seems much slimmer.

78. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 27, 2012 2:34 PM

@juvenaldelinquent

Actually, I think Rodgers turns people off with his actions more than Favre ever did, except the Sterger Scandal. There is something about Rodgers that seems, almost fake. Favre was beloved around the leaugue by coaches, players, GM’s and owners, not just as a player, but as a person. I don’t get the same vibe with Rodgers, I may be wrong. You must be pretty young to talk Jim Kelly. If you had a brain you would know Kelly screwed the Bills after they drafted him and went on to play for the Houston Gamblers in the USFL until it folded. The Bills were his fallback option because he was essentially jobless, and Buffalo still held his rights. Favre wanted to come back to the Packers, the Packers didn’t want him, so what else was he supposed to do? Sure, the waffling was a bit much, but taking a beating 6 months a year and for 18 years can do that to you, I would think. He only went to stick it to the Packers by going 8-8 in NY with a terrible supporting cast, and 14-2 in Minnesota, again with limited resources outside of AP. The Packers could very well have won a SB in those 2 years.

79. etexfisherman48 says: Jun 27, 2012 5:42 PM

At least somebody tells it like it is; the coaches are responsible for getting the position players prepared and let’s face it they are not very good at doing that or either the players are too ignorant to comprehend what they are being taught. Jimmy Johnson would always ask the scouts or other coaches when they were selling an individual “but can he play”? Since Jimmy Johnson left other than Parcells they haven’t had a coach that could do this thing of recognizing whether or not a player can play and getting into a game with the qb having to direct traffic on a given play is proof positive of this.

80. stevenfbrackett says: Jun 27, 2012 9:10 PM

But which Bret Favre? there are so many conflicting ‘Brets’ that is either a great compliment or one of the worst insults I’ve heard in a long time.

81. axespray says: Jun 28, 2012 12:57 AM

rabidbillsfan says:Jun 27, 2012 2:34 PM
    ” He only went to stick it to the Packers by going 8-8 in NY with a terrible supporting cast, and 14-2 in Minnesota, again with limited resources outside of AP. The Packers could very well have won a SB in those 2 years.”
    ————————————————-
    That Terrible Supporting Cast in New York took Mark Sanchez to two AFC Title Games, The vikes went 18 – 14 in the 2 years they had Favre….

and saying our team was good enough to win a superbowl in 2008 is a joke… that’s like saying the 2011 panthers had a shot at a superbowl last year… you’re not winning the ‘bowl with a defense that is awful.

82. axespray says: Jun 28, 2012 12:59 AM

rabidbillsfan says:Jun 27, 2012 10:20 AM
    “Whoops, sorry, 3-time MVP, should of had his fourth in ’09.”

Totally not insulting toward Peyton (14-2/sb appearance) and Brees (13-3/Sb win)