Cruz sees football season as a way to relax

CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY MAMA'S BOY AP

Victor Cruz has had such a hectic offseason that he looks forward to the relative calm of putting on pads and getting beaten up.

“I can’t wait for football season to come around, so I can kind of relax and focus on football,” Cruz said Tuesday at the William & Mary football camp, according to Tom Robinson of the Virginian-Pilot.

Cruz passed on a chance to appear on Dancing With The Stars (which surely would have kept eventual champion Donald Driver from being invited), telling Neil Best of Newsday that “I just want to be focused on football and focused on what’s to come, and I’m just not at the point in my career where I feel like I need to do that.”  But Cruz has instead focused on plenty of things other than football, hiring IMG to represent his off-field interests, which include writing a book and becoming the new Campbell’s Soup pitchman and handing out a Grammy and shopping his Young Whales T-shirt line via among other things a trip to Italy.

Out Of the Blue comes out next month, and Cruz has given it a predictably raving review.  “I’m obviously biased, but I think it’s an amazing book,” Cruz said. “It really details my life, really true stories.  Stuff that kids can really adapt to and read and be like, ‘Man, if this guy can make it, I can definitely make it as well.'”

He made it last year.  If he wants to make it to a huge payday, he needs to make it this year, too.

The good news is that Cruz says he always will have “that chip on my shoulder.”  And that will serve him well in 2012, given all the things he now has on his plate.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Cruz sees football season as a way to relax”
  1. blutri10 says: Jun 26, 2012 10:55 PM

I love this guy’s attitude. After only one year…when I think of #80, I no longer think of Jeremy Shockey….Keep it up VC.

2. jnicholson510 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:03 PM

After the season Cruz had he deserves to relax

3. lax12345 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:08 PM

This guy is great. Has a great attitude and is willing to work hard. He will get his payday if he keeps up the handwork.

4. nyfan63 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:37 PM

This kid has had the right attitude all along and he seems to get it, but as a Giants fan I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t starting to get a little concerned with how much off the field stuff he’s now doing. And looking forward to football so he can “relax”? I’m not liking the sound of that. I don’t begrudge him the oppurtunities he now has and can appreciate his need to strike while the irons hot, but I just hope that by training camp his focus is 100% on building off of his break-out year.

5. pacificnw7722 says: Jun 26, 2012 11:37 PM

I’m sure we will all see much salsa dancing in the end zone this year!

6. skoobyfl says: Jun 26, 2012 11:54 PM

Cruzing in baby.

7. giantsfaninphilly says: Jun 27, 2012 1:17 AM

Love this kid! How refreshing is it to hear an athlete that is humble and works hard for everything he gets….Victor Cruz you deserve all the good things that are coming your way!!! This guy is a BIG play waiting to happen.

8. benchwarmer69 says: Jun 27, 2012 1:43 AM

Yeah, that’s exactly what Plaxico said before the gun went off.

“…oh, my leg!”

9. NakedCowboy! says: Jun 27, 2012 3:14 AM

from nobody to superstar… heck of a season… no wonder he cant wait to get back on the field…
    all he needs now is a celebrity gf…

10. emotionalfatguy says: Jun 27, 2012 3:57 AM

This young man is the perfect advocate for the game.

Too often do we see young players like Gronkowki doing stupid stuff / being a general meat head (I write as I sit at my desk in my Gronkowski jersey /facepalm). Cruz is what Im sure Goodell would want all young players to be like – clean, stylish and well-spoken.

11. hypotheticallyspeakin says: Jun 27, 2012 5:29 AM

This sucks.. Everytime this guy scores a touchdown, I forget i’m an Eagles fan.. smh

12. cooklynn17 says: Jun 27, 2012 6:02 AM

Cruz Control…

13. bigwalt2990 says: Jun 27, 2012 6:44 AM

Who else has one good year, and writes a book?

14. gpete1962 says: Jun 27, 2012 7:36 AM

Wake up Jerry!!

3rd best receiver in the NFC, #1 in yardage after the catch, Good citizen and great Kid with a hometown story.

This kids no fluke, Get him signed now

15. johnnyjagfan says: Jun 27, 2012 7:57 AM

@bigwalt2990:

Keyshawn if I’m not mistaken.

Cruz is like a gazelle. Hope he continues his monster ways. With the G-Men’s WR corps banged up, he’ll be tested this season, for sure.

16. n0hopeleft says: Jun 27, 2012 9:30 AM

This guy wasn’t the typical flamboyany college player out of the draft. He worked his behind off to get where he is now, and he should cash in when he’s hot.

He’s all about the jersey he wears, first and foremost.

None of the stuff he’s doing off the field is concerning, or too time consuming.

17. bullcharger says: Jun 27, 2012 9:41 AM

These guys should cash in when they can. It’s a bit early for a book deal, but maybe that opportunity won’t come again. As a Patriots fan I hope it doesn’t! However, I think he’s the real deal. That season was too good to be a one year fluke.

18. popcrowl says: Jun 27, 2012 9:43 AM

Even I can’t help but to like this guy, and I’m a Eagles fan. It kind of makes me feel dirty. But he’s a good guy.

19. hulkhogansays says: Jun 27, 2012 9:45 AM

He’s looking foward to get mopped by the Redskins and RG3 for the next decade. Cool attitude!

20. riggz91 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:47 AM

Crazy NY had/has three out of the blue type players this year. Started with Cruz, then Lin and now to Dickey. Been a fun year for sure.

21. cooklynn17 says: Jun 27, 2012 10:04 AM

gpete1962 says: Jun 27, 2012 7:36 AM

Wake up Jerry!!

This kids no fluke, Get him signed now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Slow your roll there player, the last time I looked your GM was the architect of a 2 time Superbowl team. We are talking about Jerry Reese, and not Jerry Springer mind you. Dude knows what he’s doing, so relax.

22. 84sgl says: Jun 27, 2012 11:10 AM

Very good receiver.. I am a fan of his but boy doesn’t playing in NY make a difference.. No way does a number 3 receiver receive the endorsements and opportunity without breaking records unless u play in a city like New York.. Must Be because of the dance and super bowl.. He had a solid season and I’m very happy for him though because he could be great one day!! but Please Don’t fill up his head this soon!! Let him flourish first

23. senetor24 says: Jul 5, 2012 12:20 PM

84sgl says:
    Jun 27, 2012 11:10 AM
    ————————————————-

Any receiver with his story would be popular. He is a local kid that had 1500+ yards. That is an incredible year not a “solid season”. These guys have a small window to earn their money, so I say grab as much as possible and invest intelligently.