Vladimir Ducasse knows it’s a make or break year for him

Vladimir+Ducasse+New+York+Jets+v+Houston+Texans+tD6x-_D9B-tl Getty Images

There wasn’t much that right tackle Wayne Hunter did well for the Jets last season, but he always had one saving grace to fall back on.

He was better than Vladimir Ducasse. Ducasse was the team’s primary backup at both guard and tackle last season, but his rare appearances with the offense never failed to make it clear that he wasn’t ready to be on the field. His most notable appearance came in a blowout loss to the Ravens where it looked like Ducasse was going to get someone killed as his attempted blocks failed time after time.

There hasn’t been much sign this offseason that Ducasse has gotten closer to replacing Hunter. Everyone knew that he would be a project after being drafted out of UMass with the 61st overall pick in 2010, but the expiration date is getting close. Ducasse acknowledged that this is a make or break year in an interview with the Newark Star-Ledger.

“That’s how I see it. That’s what I see it as. This is my third year, and I put a lot of pressure on myself that I have to do better than last year,” Ducasse said. “I can’t go into this year expecting, ‘You know what, I’m going to do the same thing I did last year.’ I have to get better, and they’re expecting me to be better, and I put a lot of pressure on myself to take that next step.”

Ducasse said that Tony Sparano’s offense is simpler than the one the Jets ran when Brian Schottenheimer was offensive coordinator and that makes it easier for him to know what he’s doing out on the field. That isn’t the first time we’ve heard that Sparano has installed a straight-ahead approach to the offense that wasn’t in evidence last season, but the jury’s still out as to whether or not the problem was the complexity of the offense or the ability of the players running it.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Vladimir Ducasse knows it’s a make or break year for him”
  1. captfoxboro says: Jun 26, 2012 12:30 PM

The Jets will not cut him ( that would mean admitting a mistake ) so they’ll continue to try and hide him on the back end of their roster for at least another year.

Yet another reason why the NYJ’s will continue to fail in their attempt to reach a SB .

As much as Jets fans hate to admit it – had Belichick not dumped them at the alter , their SB drought would have been long gone by now
    ( and even tho mistakes like selecting Ducasse would inevitably still happen – they wouldn’t be compounded them by refusing to move on ) .

Jets 2012 = 8 -8 record ( 3rd place AFC East )

2. lifetimeskinsfan739 says: Jun 26, 2012 12:33 PM

I hope this guy becomes a star just to see analysts like Jerry Rice struggle even more when a 6 syllable name hits the teleprompter.

3. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 26, 2012 12:37 PM

Good that he knows, but I don’t have high hopes anyway. I never liked this pick.

4. ampats says: Jun 26, 2012 12:43 PM

Glad to know that Sparano’s “simpler” offense makes it easier for Ducasse to know what he’s doing out on the field.

And the preparations for the 44th begin !

5. stonecld33 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:01 PM

Moranos simpler offense is real easy, run up the middle twice, run wildcat once and then punt or kick a Fg not that difficult.

6. nflsucker says: Jun 26, 2012 1:13 PM

I wish him well, but if a guy can’t race ahead of Wayne Hunter on a roster, he’s got to be wondering if the pressure he mentions is in finding another good-paying line of work.

7. altoon88 says: Jun 26, 2012 1:22 PM

The Jets could have drafted a decent lineman from a major college program, and at least you know the kid was good in high school and played against real competition in college. Why get a project player from UMASS with very limited experience? Ducasse/Hunter/Mulligan almost got Sanchez killed.

8. locolos says: Jun 26, 2012 1:59 PM

The two weakest spots on the team RT and pass rusher. We did nothing to improve at the tackle over the offseason and drafted a DE in Coples that might help but is a rookie. Way to go Mike T.

9. crunchyclam says: Jun 26, 2012 2:32 PM

To ‘captfoxboro’:

Do you honestly think Belichick would’ve won a SB with the Jets? Do you not remember his head coaching stint with the Browns? Take away his multiple-MVP qb in NE and I’m not sure he wins any there either. Unless he somehow got brady, manning, brees, etc on the Jets, there was little chance of winning a ring. Just look at his career pre-Brady. Not knocking belichick’s coaching skills, just pointing out that it’s next to impossible to win the SB without a top tier QB. (Unless you have a historically great defense)

10. captfoxboro says: Jun 26, 2012 11:44 PM