Brees ruling expected within a week

Divisional Playoffs - New Orleans Saints v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

The last bit of leverage toward a long-term deal for Saints quarterback Drew Brees will soon be decided — unless the uncertainty nudges the team and the player to work out a compromise before arbitrator Stephen Burbank rules on what amounts to a $3.92 million question.

Steve Wyche of NFL Network reports that Burbank is expected to determine within a week whether Brees’ franchise tender in 2013 would be $19.645 million or $23.574 million.

The issue turns on whether the Chargers’ use of the franchise tag on Brees in 2005 counts toward determining the number of times the franchise tag has been used on Brees.  If it does, he gets $23.574 million in 2013, which is 144 percent of his $16.371 million franchise tender in 2012.  If it doesn’t, he gets $19.645 million in 2013, or 120 percent of his 2012 tender.

The outcome is highly relevant to the value of the long-term deal, given the expected magnitude of Brees’ 2013 franchise tender.  But the league’s best argument may be that the question isn’t ripe, because Brees is still eight months away from being slapped with the franchise tag in 2013.

If Burbank decides that it’s not premature to consider the value of the franchise tender in 2013, the outcome hinges on a technical interpretation of the language of the CBA.  In the end, Burbank must decide whether the labor deal contemplates that prior use of the franchise tag by a different team on the same player will count when a subsequent team uses the franchise tag.

The correct argument seems to be that the prior use of the franchise tag by the Chargers doesn’t matter.  But it could go either way.

And that’s all the more reason why the two parties should try to work out a long-term contract before seeing nearly $4 million in leverage swing to the other side.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Brees ruling expected within a week”
  1. pftcensorssuck says: Jun 27, 2012 8:58 PM

Now I’m just plain sick of hearing from/about this guy.

2. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:01 PM

What a significant financial swing for Brees. I mean…if he loses this contract battle how’s he gonna put food on the table?

3. northshoresaint9 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:02 PM

…Thought this was supposed 2 b figured out 2day. What a dragging-on pain in the ass!

4. dryzzt23 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:10 PM

I am so sick of Brees now, he is a cartoon character now IMO

5. fakefranknunley57 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:12 PM

John Brodie was a better qb.

6. giantsfan82 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:12 PM

Man it’s going to suck if he ONLY gets 19 mill.

7. indyspeedo says: Jun 27, 2012 9:13 PM

GREEDY ASSED SWAMP BOY.
    I know I have seen that someplace before

8. hey804 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:15 PM

pftcensorssuck says:
    Jun 27, 2012 8:58 PM
    “I was a big Drew Brees fan when he was fighting his way through San Diego, and was happy for the success he started achieving in N.O.

Now I’m just plain sick of hearing from/about this guy.”

I live in New Orleans and I’m not here to give you my opinion on the Bounty Matter. It is what it is. I’m here to tell you that I read PFT, the nation sports media, and my local sports news; all of which the Saints are making headlines. And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that PFT prints over 5x more stories about the Saints than our whole local media combined. Hell, our Sports Radio hardly talks about it anymore. We’re on to Anthony Davis now.

So maybe, just maybe pftcensorssuck, it’s reading too much PFT that’s making you sick. Not Drew Brees. Find your own White Whale.

9. thetooloftools says: Jun 27, 2012 9:16 PM

I LOVE these QB’S who just kill a teams cap and then have bad years and sat it’s about the $.
    I send Drew Brees PACKING if he want’s a big long term money grab.
    He needs to shut his mouth about the D problems too.
    Just because he has big money, doesn’t mean he’s Mitt Romney.

10. bobulated says: Jun 27, 2012 9:24 PM

I don’t understand why people are so offended by Brees’ stance on this. The Chargers tendered him claiming they would work out a deal, then when he played and got hurt SD then offered him a severely below market deal incredibly back-loaded since he was coming off an injury and they had Rivers in their pocket. Then the Saints basically got him at below market for his numbers up to that point and certainly since then. I have no problem with a man trying to get the best deal he can get for his services especially when he got essentially screwed the last time he signed a tender. Saints fans certainly remember wearing paper bags with “Aints” written on them not too long before this guy fell into their laps and lead them to the promised land. They should be happy to pay the best QB in their history and the only shot they have at another ring in the near future.

11. panamon says: Jun 27, 2012 9:26 PM

As a Charger fan I would love if our team following the rules and tagging him gives him more leverage to earn more from the Saints in his new long term deal. I also love how much less Rivers earns than what Brees is asking for.

12. jason1980 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:27 PM

You’re sick of listening to a guy fight for justice within the NFL, how terribly odd? The same guys ranting about how sick and tired of hearing about the Saints and Drew Brees, yet comment on every single article. Thank God for Mike Florio and his objective journalism. Can’t wait for the season to start, but to the haters chagrin, the media will be interested in no other team besides the Saints. They will be watching everything Saints, every snap, every game, every play, analyzing us the entire season, so get used to it folks. It’s gonna be all about the Saints, like it or not.

13. fakefranknunley57 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:27 PM

…and more importantly a better man and teammate…and also a great golfer by the way.

14. broncosnative says: Jun 27, 2012 9:34 PM

Boo hoo hoo, all this over 3.92 million? 19 isn’t good enough? Sounds like its all about brees and not the team. I understand he’s had a record breaking season last year and he’s done everything you want a QB to do. They’re not offering him 12 or 15 million, its 19.645 million. From what I understand that’s more than brady but less than manning, he’d probably have a contract by now had broncos not gave manning 96 million

15. smstonerock says: Jun 27, 2012 9:42 PM

Wait, you’re telling me that this situation either never happened before or was never thought about when the cba was drafted? Weird.

16. benh999 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:44 PM

Chump change.

17. thejuddstir says: Jun 27, 2012 9:47 PM

When isn’t $20 million per year not enough? When you’re greedy and want 23m. I know none of this registers with Stains fans, but Brees is showing his true colors to the rest of the NFL.

18. usernameqiu says: Jun 27, 2012 9:51 PM

oh

19. biggiesmallsthecondomfilla says: Jun 27, 2012 10:11 PM

Drew is all about himself….hey drew ” mo money, mo problems”

20. bchapman2011 says: Jun 27, 2012 10:14 PM

Pftcensorsuck…….I agree with you. Brees is quickly becoming one of the most hated athletes in pro sports. I really cannot stand his arrogance.

21. ncarolinarn7 says: Jun 27, 2012 10:16 PM

Stick it to Benson. That’s the way I’d like it to go. Inflate his cap space. Bree’s needs compensation for his leadership.

22. rickastleydancemoves says: Jun 27, 2012 10:21 PM

This guy has turned into the biggest effing crybaby in all of football, and that’s saying alot with the likes of Darelle Revis, Osi Umenyora, & Lance Briggs who all seem to whine about their contracts every two years. If he isn’t boo hooing over his contract, he’s crying about of the bounties he knew very well were happening in his locker room.

23. steelerhypocrite says: Jun 27, 2012 10:24 PM

This guy gives a new meaning to whiner. He belongs in the Obama administration.

24. ascensionparish says: Jun 27, 2012 10:58 PM

The amazing thing is that no one (the NFLPA or the NFL) really knew what they meant when they drew up the CBA less than a year ago.

25. ascensionparish says: Jun 27, 2012 10:59 PM

steelerhypocrite says:Jun 27, 2012 10:24 PM

This guy gives a new meaning to whiner. He belongs in the Obama administration.
    _______________________

Wow, this is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read in my life. I feel pretty good about myself right now.

26. rg3enoughsaid says: Jun 27, 2012 11:06 PM

Man, I hope Brees doesnt sign any contract until after week 1… serious up… guy is nasty… Pay him

27. fakefranknunley57 says: Jun 27, 2012 11:23 PM

fakefranknunley57 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:27 PM

John Brodie was a better qb….

28. hawkjuice says: Jun 27, 2012 11:31 PM

Drew Brees has become an incredible D*Bag.

29. matthewcarlson1 says: Jun 27, 2012 11:37 PM

steelerhypocrite says:Jun 27, 2012 10:24 PM

This guy gives a new meaning to whiner. He belongs in the Obama administration.
    ________________

Excuse me sir.. your Republican is showing and its offending everyone. Take it elsewhere, actually keep it to yourself because I seriously doubt you know what you’re talking about.

30. mediasloppy says: Jun 27, 2012 11:40 PM

Brees doesn’t back down. This is the guy who demanded HUGE numbers to play for any team after a major surgery. The Saints took that chance and it paid off.

31. flannlv says: Jun 28, 2012 12:35 AM

All of these comments trashing Brees. Every single one of you would love to have him as your favorite team’s QB.

32. drewmoney9 says: Jun 28, 2012 7:36 AM

I highly doubt any if you people realize exactly how much charity work that drew is involved with. Guaranteed that the whole $3.92 mill will go straight to all if the charity work, and probably a few.mill more.

33. runtheball says: Jun 28, 2012 10:07 AM

Or when a guy making $4M is asked to take a cut to the minimum.

34. Mikey says: Jun 28, 2012 10:24 AM

“The thing I always question is how do these guys think other players on the team feel when they are getting paid 3 times less and maybe more from eating up the salary cap.”

Well, mediasloppy, when Brees’ team is winning games, those players think, “Thank god he’s on our team.”

Brees is a pro athlete, nothing more. He’s not a role model or some kind of demi-god. He’s a professional football player.

He went to New Orleans in 2006 and almost single-handedly turned the Saints around. He was a big part in turning Tom Benson into a billionaire. Mr. Benson now owns the Hornets, the entire entertainment complex around the Superdome, a local TV station, and has was a big part of bringing a Fox Sports network to the Gulf South.

It can be argued that the Saints’ success in the Brees era is what allowed Mr. Benson the financial flexability to persue all these different endavors. Personally, I think Brees should go after every cent he can. He’s earned it.

35. broncosnative says: Jun 28, 2012 11:35 AM