Thomas Davis appreciates the Panthers’ patience

Thomas+Davis+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Carolina+EWzxzc4M8y1l Getty Images

Since you are all daily readers of our one-liners, you already know that Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis is trying to become the first NFL player to return to the field after three torn ACLs.

What you might not know is that Davis believes that’s not just a testament to his own resiliency. It’s also a testament to the Panthers’ faith in him. General Manager Marty Hurney told the Associated Press that Davis is a “special guy in the locker room,” something that has earned him the chance to make a comeback that others in his position have never received.

“I’m just very appreciative of this team to give me the opportunity to come back three times,” Davis said. “I think that is part of the problem with a lot of guys that had torn their knees up three times — they were never given that opportunity. So I’m extremely appreciative to the Panthers.”

The Panthers’ charitable spirit only goes so far. Davis had to restructure his contract to pay him the veteran’s minimum of $700,000 and give up an $8 million bonus to remain in Charlotte, but it is hard to imagine he was going to get a better deal or a better shot at playing time anywhere else.

Right now, Davis is behind rookie Luke Kuechly, Jon Beason and James Anderson at linebacker. Even if Davis doesn’t start, a return to health will be a boost to a Panthers defense that needs to be better than it was last season. You could say the same about Beason, although he isn’t facing odds quite as long as the ones Davis faces as he tries to restart his career once again.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Thomas Davis appreciates the Panthers’ patience”
  1. fafafuey says: Jun 27, 2012 9:19 AM

Thomas Davis has been a great Panther on and off the field and has EARNED the chance to attempt another comeback.

2. Ryan says: Jun 27, 2012 9:55 AM

This does say a lot about our franchise but I have always felt that was something that made our franchise different. I know the odds are against Davis but I sincerely hope that he is successful. This kind of story makes me proud to be a Carolina fan.

3. youboettcha says: Jun 27, 2012 10:37 AM

What’s that old saying? “Fool me once…”, ah forget it.

4. CKL says: Jun 27, 2012 12:20 PM

Kid was on his way to being a stud once they figured out his NFL position. I hope he defies the odds.

5. tgcpanthersfan says: Jun 27, 2012 1:49 PM

I for one do not doubt he can return from this, just cause no one else has doesn’t mean it is impossible to do so

6. chazatlas says: Jun 27, 2012 10:49 PM

I’d rather him play on a very limited basis than get hurt again. I know he has to earn his keep, just sayin.

7. tgcpanthersfan says: Jun 28, 2012 1:48 PM

chazatlas says: Jun 27, 2012 10:49 PM

I’d rather him play on a very limited basis than get hurt again

I pretty much think that is the plan with davis. To play him on a limited basis if he last the whole season see what they can get in trade for either him or Anderson and be on their way

8. jgedgar70 says: Jun 28, 2012 3:07 PM

Davis is a good man who does not deserve the rotten luck he’s had the last 2 years. His first 2 ACL tears came without contact, and his third when someone rolled into him from behind. He’s been a great citizen off the field as well.

With us drafting Kuechly to start with Beason and Anderson, TD can be brought along slowly. I hope he returns to full strength and help us have the best group of LBs in the league again.