Urlacher wants to play two or three more years, “at least”

Brian Urlacher Pic Getty Images

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher is feeling good about his recovery from last year’s knee injury, and he’s also feeling confident about his future in the league. Urlacher turned 34 in May, so it would be fair to wonder how many years he has left. Urlacher thinks he’s got plenty.

“I always say two to three more years,” Urlacher told ESPN 1000 in Chicago. “It all depends on how I play on the field, because if I don’t play good enough, nobody is going to want me. But if I keep playing well and at a high level, then two to three more years at least, I think.”

Urlacher reiterated that his “back feels great, my neck feels good, my muscles aren’t pulling anymore, so that’s good.” He’ll be a full participant in training camp.

Urlacher is only signed through 2012 with Chicago, but would like to explore extension talks with the Bears at some point in the near future.

“I want to be here, no doubt about that,” said Urlacher, who’s spent his whole career with the Bears. “[Club president] Ted Phillips said at the NFL owners meetings that they are going to wait until the season is over to address my situation. That’s the mindset I’m taking into this.

“When the season is over, then we’ll talk about it.”

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Urlacher wants to play two or three more years, “at least””
  1. butkismyditka says: Jun 27, 2012 8:44 PM

Hopefully we snag t’eo this year and let urlacher show him the ropes for a year or two, then he can retire with dignity as another hall of fame bears LB

2. packfaninchitown says: Jun 27, 2012 8:56 PM

That’s at least four to six more losses to the Packers, minimum.

3. staffordsyear says: Jun 27, 2012 9:20 PM

Their gonna wait till after the season to talk about it?…i dont think the bears are very confident this guy has much left(maybe 1 year?) nor should they.

Heck of a career though.

4. jacobslatter says: Jun 27, 2012 9:21 PM

How else will he keep Jenny McCarthy around (question mark).

5. fakefranknunley57 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:34 PM

He’s allegedly dating Jenny Mccarthy, stamina may be an issue in the future.

6. fakefranknunley57 says: Jun 27, 2012 9:56 PM

mike devito wants to play 3 or 4 more years.

7. crik911 says: Jun 27, 2012 10:01 PM

I think Urlacher has some quality stuff left in him, its just a question of how long his body can hang on for.

packfaninchitown: What happens if Aaron Rodgers gets injured this year?

8. thayer57 says: Jun 27, 2012 10:04 PM

My goodness you Packer fans think all of a sudden you are the Steelers of the 70s or the 49ers of the 80s. I know, I know you beat us four times in a calendar year. Could you please live in the now and get over yourselves? The way the NFL is set up these days it’s the team that gets hot at the end of the season that wins it, and, yes, you got hot two years ago. My guess is the same Packer fans that are on here showing their muscles behind their keyboards are the same ones that wanted McCarthy fired a couple years ago for losing close games. BANDWAGON

9. usernameqiu says: Jun 27, 2012 10:05 PM

oh

10. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 27, 2012 10:07 PM

I’d be fine retiring now with all that money and Jenny McCarthy at home….

11. 1historian says: Jun 27, 2012 10:12 PM

He’s over the hump. He was one of the best in his prime but age catches up to all of us and it’s his turn.

12. thraiderskin says: Jun 27, 2012 10:12 PM

I thought Kuechley was going to fall to the Bears and it would have been an excellent fit and situation for the young LB. Either way, I hope the bears look for/find a replacement deserving of the Bears franchise.

13. sowcrates says: Jun 27, 2012 10:26 PM

If his speed tails off from where he’s been 2010-2011 and he’s not brought back into Chicago, he would be best served finding a team that still runs a 4-3 that has absolute monsters at DT…guys who can help him escape blocks like that ridiculous 2001 D-line Chicago had with Brian Robinson, Keith Traylor, Ted Washington and Phillip Daniels. I think that group weighed at least 1350 lbs.

His instincts and reads will still be terrific and make him serviceable at MLB as long as you don’t need him to go sideline to sideline like he used to. It doesn’t need to be a cover-2 necessarily, but a 4-3 where he’s not being asked to play a pass-rushing role is going to be where he’s useful for people.

Detroit won’t take a look at him due to their current crop of LBs being fairly set, but Urlacher could probably flash his best abilities playing with a team like that

14. bearsoxass says: Jun 27, 2012 10:26 PM

Get lost old fart

15. voiceofsweetness says: Jun 27, 2012 11:23 PM

Easily another 3 yrs. When he REALLY losses his speed he will still be as fast as Hunter Hillenmeyer was as his replacement and still know the “Tampa 2″ defense better than any LB in the league. Baring a major injury to the legs, he’s such a physical freak that 5 more years is very attainable.

16. rextraordinaire says: Jun 27, 2012 11:39 PM

I can 3 years. His best years are behind him but that doesn’t mean he’s no good anymore. I remember hearing him say that sitting out all of 2009 probably added another year to his shelf life, otherwise he would probably be done now. He is still exceptional at reading offenses and knowing where to be and when, and that won’t change. Physically, I think he’s good for one more big year and 2 years where he’s perfectly serviceable, but no longer playing at an elite level. If those last 2 years are with another team, then so be it I guess.

17. rexgrossman8 says: Jun 27, 2012 11:56 PM

You wouldn’t be saying that if I were on the roster.

18. bcjim says: Jun 28, 2012 6:00 AM

Translation…i want to continue being the most overrated lb in recent nfl history.

19. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Jun 28, 2012 6:42 AM

He won’t be returning punts like he did in college, But I could see him push out another 2 years in that defense.

20. bagadeez04 says: Jun 28, 2012 7:10 AM

Derr… I tackle man with ball…

21. chi01town says: Jun 30, 2012 9:03 AM

Urlacher will be in Chicago until hes done playing the game, hes a pro bowl player right now an about to win a Super Bowl this Season