Chris Kluwe appears in ads supporting same-sex marriage

Chris Kluwe AP

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has never been shy about expressing his opinions about big issues in the NFL and his willingness to speak his mind doesn’t stop at the locker room door.

Kluwe has filmed three ads for Minnesotans for Equality, a group fighting against a November ballot initiative that would change the state constitution to define marriage only between a man and a woman. Kluwe told Outsports.com that the group sought him out and that he helped write the ads himself. Kluwe said that he has a gay brother-in-law who would like to marry his partner in California (which does not permit same-sex marriage), but that he would be helping the cause even without such a close connection.

“I would definitely still be signing up for it. One of the things my parents brought me up with is that you should have equality for everyone. I would like to think I have a pretty strong sense of justice and right and wrong. [The proposed marriage amendment] is just blatant discrimination and that’s not right, that’s wrong. … One of the best things parents can teach their children is to have the courage to go out and find your own answers in life. While we can give you a framework, it’s up to you to live your own life.”

The interview, all of which is worth a read, moved on to discuss the possibility of a current NFL player coming out. Kluwe said he thought views were changing and that he hears fewer gay slurs than in the past, but that it would still be difficult for a player to come out in the current locker room culture. Like Texans linebacker Connor Barwin, though, Kluwe thinks that things would get easier over time because the only thing that ultimately matters is whether a player can help the team win on Sunday.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Chris Kluwe appears in ads supporting same-sex marriage”
  1. shackdelrio says: Jun 28, 2012 10:10 AM

Good for Kluwe. I wonder what Tony Dungy, Tim Tebow, Kurt Warner and the other bible thumpers in the league think.

2. speedlimit12 says: Jun 28, 2012 10:12 AM

I’m looking forward to a very intelligent discussion about this in the comment section!

3. mbritmn says: Jun 28, 2012 10:15 AM

Love this story. Never thought I’d say this, but I think I’ll be purchasing a punter’s jersey – even though my team sucks right now, we can at least be proud to have such a class-act on our team.

4. jbcommonsense says: Jun 28, 2012 10:29 AM

Tolerance, freedom, equal rights for all citizens and compassion are bedrock American principles!

5. citizenstrange says: Jun 28, 2012 10:31 AM

Civil rights are civil rights and bigotry is bigotry.

Well done Chris Kluwe.

6. reverend5150 says: Jun 28, 2012 10:34 AM

it doesn’t take long for the Christian haters to show up, does it. Please don’t lump us all into the same narrow-minded and judgemental pile.

7. thehouseofho says: Jun 28, 2012 10:40 AM

Well done, Chris Kluwe.

8. raiderufan says: Jun 28, 2012 10:50 AM

Maybe I’m not reading the article right or something but how does one have a gay brother in law but not a gay brother?

Unless he has a Sister that married a man that ended up coming out of the closet and it’s now more of a “brother in law”?

Anyhow…good by him. Any argument against gay marriage is just ignorant. Especially if that argument is for the sanctity of marriage. If any group of people has ruined or is ruining that it’s us straight men and women.

Michael David Smith: His wife has a brother who is gay. Therefore he has a gay brother-in-law.

9. mykl954 says: Jun 28, 2012 10:52 AM

Didn’t know this guy from Adam (or Eve for that matter), but going forward Kluwe has a new fan pulling for his success!

10. ruvelligwebuike says: Jun 28, 2012 10:54 AM

Kluwe is spot on, and I am all for equality of basic rights. However…

The word “equality” is a slippery slope. I think the country as a whole would be in much better shape if people pushed for “fair” instead of equal. They are not the same thing. Keep in mind, for two things to balance equally, one thing has to gain and the other has to lose.

11. thepunkyqb says: Jun 28, 2012 10:55 AM

I’m a Bears fan, but I can recognize a class act when I see one. way to go Chris!

12. mancave001 says: Jun 28, 2012 11:00 AM

It doesn’t take long for the Christian-bashers to show up, does it? It also doesn’t take long for anyone who opposes gay marriage to be labeled as bigot, regardless of his reasons.

13. getthegleam says: Jun 28, 2012 11:02 AM

The only thing I find disgusting about this article is that in 2012, we still have to talk about granting people equal rights. Why talk about it? How hard is it just to start living that way or treating people with respect. Bravo to you Chris Kluwe!

14. oldschoolomen says: Jun 28, 2012 11:14 AM

@revered5150

Tolerance, freedom, equal rights for all, except for Christians, right?

If you express your faith, then you’re probably a Bible thumping bigot that believes in spaghetti monsters and all the evils of the world are attributed to you.

If two gay individuals want the right to be married and have the legal priviledges and protections that affords, then go for it. And I’d rather see a child brought into the loving, caring home of a gay couple than abused by a heterosexual couple.

God loves everyone. Equally. Christ died for everyone. Equally. It’s probably time we treated everyone equally.

15. vetdana says: Jun 28, 2012 11:45 AM

reverend5150 says:
    Jun 28, 2012 10:34 AM
    it doesn’t take long for the Christian haters to show up, does it.

Its not the “Christians “that the “Christian Haters”, are going to have to worry about !

16. bigbeefyd says: Jun 28, 2012 11:57 AM

@shackdelrio: “Bible thumpers”. Way to elevate the conversation, man.

That being said, good for Kluwe. He’s standing up for his principles, which everyone should do.

17. sudz28 says: Jun 28, 2012 12:06 PM

Even if you don’t agree with his stance, you have to admire his willingness to publicly state his views knowing he may suffer a big backlash professionally. Chris Kluwe is possibly my new, favorite NFL player.

It doesn’t hurt that he’s 100% absolutely correct.

18. gerard33 says: Jun 28, 2012 12:14 PM

Too bad he’s only a punter. Oh well, baby steps i guess

19. jerrysandusky1 says: Jun 28, 2012 12:14 PM

I steer clear of what this guy says or tweets but this seems to be a good. Kudow, Kluwe.

20. jwehrcbs610 says: Jun 28, 2012 12:28 PM

I may be in the vast minority among my peers, and I really wish I wasnt…..but I’m a Christian, Southern Baptist born and raised….however I am a firm believer that Love was meant for everyone.

I don’t understand why these so called “bible beaters” will throw someone under the bus for two men or women who love each other dearly, respect one another and treat each other the way they should…they throw them under and say its immoral, yet the same people will turn around slap their wives, cheat, and be a father/mother who is non exsistant in their kids lives and say that their Marriage is the way God meant it to be….

Really you expect me to believe that sh!t?

Ill get off my soapbox. Just don’t believe all Chrisians/religious people alike will be against this. I’m sure not.

Anywyas good for Kluwe…..respect.

21. dionoil says: Jun 28, 2012 12:29 PM

I’m all for it, way to go Chris. But, I come to sites like this to avoid things like politics and real issues.

22. squared80 says: Jun 28, 2012 12:31 PM

Minnesota used to be such a tolerant state. Now all their elected officials are extremists. Hope this gets voted down in November. Good for you, Kluwe.

23. jc327 says: Jun 28, 2012 12:43 PM

Good job Kluwe. Thumbs up.

24. tfbuckfutter says: Jun 28, 2012 12:44 PM

It’d be nice to see more MEN standing up for this cause. Especially ones who don’t have a close-to-home reason for it.

25. tfbuckfutter says: Jun 28, 2012 12:52 PM

reverend5150 says: Jun 28, 2012 10:34 AM

————————————

It’s hard not to lump people together when a prevailing attitude of a group is strong enough….for example, not ALL black people like Tyler Perry and not ALL Yankee fans are jerks….but enough of them are to taint the entire group.

26. contra74 says: Jun 28, 2012 1:05 PM

Kluwe is nothing but a class act. The man stands up tall for what he believes in regardless of what others may think. Proud to have him as not only a Viking but a member of the community who is trying hard to do whats right.

27. voiceofsweetness says: Jun 28, 2012 1:11 PM

Echo the other Bear fan. We still appreciate a class act even on the division foe’s.

Big up’s Kluwe.

Detroit could use a few of these guys.

28. reverend5150 says: Jun 28, 2012 1:17 PM

@oldschoolomen

Thank you for completely missing (and now proving) my point.
    What I am saying is that I stand with the side of equal civil rights….don’t lump me into what you and others think of as “Bible thumpers.”
    I have gay friends who are doing a much better job of raising their kids than many straight parents.
    Please don’t assume that because a person believes in Jesus that they all agree with the “religious right.”

29. nbcruinedpft says: Jun 28, 2012 1:33 PM

“The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.”

~Ayn Rand

30. blackdonnelly says: Jun 28, 2012 2:42 PM

In the manly man world of professional football, it takes quite the fortitude to speak out the way Kluwe has. Huge props to Chris…….

31. dockery23 says: Jun 28, 2012 6:55 PM

Kluwe is a good guy. Good for him, now put it inside the 5 and you are really the man!

32. jimmylions says: Jun 28, 2012 9:23 PM

Supposedly Lombardi made rules in his locker room that forbid gay bashing along with the other bigoted behavior he forbid.

This is something long time coming … and as for the “Christians” who claim to be victims of “bashing” … remind me your brethren hava a long history of quoting the Bible to support their own bigotry.

For centuries Christians have been quoting the Bible to justify slavery, oppressing women, and to try to make mixed race relationships illegal (Google (Loving vs. Virgina).

Christian conservatives in Texas are trying to ban the teaching of critical thinking and objective reasoning skills in public schools.

You folks are not victims.