Trent Richardson changes his tune on meeting Jim Brown

Trent Richardson AP

It wasn’t even a month ago when Browns rookie Trent Richardson said he didn’t need to hear an explanation from Jim Brown for the legend’s critical remarks.

But now, as the Browns organization appears interested in mending fences with their greatest player, the rookie is sounding a more respectful note, saying he’d “most definitely”  like to meet the guy who called him “ordinary.”

“Just to be in his presence would be an honor,” Richardson told Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com. “He is an icon. He is a legend. I have to get on my high horse if I’m going to live up to Jim Brown’s expectations.”

Asked about the criticism Brown pointed his way during the draft process, which included “I don’t see anything outstanding about him,” Richardson shrugged it off.

“To me, I laugh at the situation,” Richardson said. “In my head, that means I have a lot of work to do. I still do. Cleveland, never having won the Super Bowl, hopefully, I can be one of the guys to be on a Super Bowl team in Cleveland. I have big shoes to fill. It’s just a lot of motivation.

“I don’t dislike Jim Brown for the comments. He’s pushed me to the limit … made sure he gets everything he can out of me.”

Fellow rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden said he’s been impressed with how Richardson’s reacted.

“Trent’s got thick skin,” Weeden said. “It doesn’t matter what anybody says. Trent doesn’t worry about it, I can promise you that. All you have to do is turn on the tape from Alabama to see what he did. He was a special player down there.”

If nothing else, Richardson’s back-tracking might make it easier to get Brown back on board, and end his estrangement from the franchise with which he shares a name.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Trent Richardson changes his tune on meeting Jim Brown”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 29, 2012 3:30 PM

Trent is hoping they can become friends. Maybe run hills together like Jerry Rice did with young receivers.

2. psychoraider904 says: Jun 29, 2012 5:15 PM

As much as I hate Alabama and there players, (War Eagle), this was a classy move by a classy guy. Who cares what Jim Brown thinks? Sure he was one of the greatest running backs to ever play the game, but what does that do for the Browns organization today? Nothing. So who cares what this guy thinks, and why is he so bitter toward this kid?

3. nflfollower says: Jun 29, 2012 5:39 PM

Trent Richardson saying how the Browns have never won a super bowl was a slight dig at Jim brown’s time with the franchise, if you read between the lines. I bet Richardson would love to be able to look back on his career knowing he won the big one and Jim brown who called him “ordinary” never did. But am I talking about the browns and the super bowl? Wow, how did I get to this place?

4. Deb says: Jun 29, 2012 5:55 PM

A rookie expected to carry a mediocre franchise in a highly competitive division on his back, should not have to discuss, meet, or mend fences with a legend from the team’s distant past. I respect Jim Brown’s accomplishments as a player. But for the life of me, I can’t understand why the Browns organization is still letting this silliness distract their team. What possible benefit do they derive from Jim Brown in 2012? Write him off and let Trent focus on the upcoming season.

5. kodakinvegas says: Jun 29, 2012 10:04 PM

There were no Super Bowls in Jim Brown’ era. Championships, yes, SB’s, no. That came after the merger and Brown was long gone

6. kodakinvegas says: Jun 29, 2012 10:06 PM

In addition however , Trent should be made known that prior to SB’s. The Browns were known as “The Winningest Team in Pro Football”

7. audient says: Jul 1, 2012 4:41 PM

The Browns have four NFL Championships, just no Super Bowls. And Jim Brown played on a championship team, and retired before the Super Bowl came into being.

Hopefully Trent can help the Browns win a Super Bowl just like Brown helped the Browns win the NFL Championship in 1964.

8. careeringcoach says: Jul 3, 2012 10:51 AM

Trent Richardson gives me hope for the Browns because he is a winner, a leader, and seems to have his priorities straight. Jim Brown’s comments will be proven wrong. Richardson will do whatever he can to win. What else can you ask of a player?