Daunte Culpepper says he thinks he’s done playing

Daunte Culpepper, Mark Anderson AP

The much-heralded quarterback class of 1999 could finally be out of football.

Sure, No. 2 overall pick Donovan McNabb says there’s an 80-to-90-percent chance he’ll play in 2012, but many think there’s an 80-to-90-percent chance he’s wrong.  And with Tim Couch (No. 1 overall), Akili Smith (No. 3), and Cade McNown (No. 12) long gone, that leaves only Daunte Culpepper, the 11th selection in the draft that was sandwiched between the drafts that brought Peyton Manning and Tom Brady into the league.

But Culpepper, who retired in 2008 and later changed his mind and joined the Lions, hasn’t formally called it quits.  Participating in the first Orlando Youth Football Clinic, Culpepper came close to making it official.

“As far as me playing, I think I am done,” Culpepper said, via Craig Castille of the Orlando Sentinel. “That part of my book is closed.  The next chapter is, I have kids and I will be coaching them.

“I will be part of athletics and a part of sports, hopefully my whole life.  It makes me feel good.  I love to compete.  Now I’ll be competing in men’s leagues, in basketball and softball and stuff.”

Eight years ago, Culpepper authored one of the greatest single seasons in NFL history.  Though overshadowed by league MVP Peyton Manning, Culpepper threw for 4,717 yards and 39 touchdown passes, completing nearly 70 percent of his throws and racking up a passer rating of 110.9 — seventh-highest of all time and higher than Drew Brees‘ 110.6 from 2011.

But Culpepper suffered the knee ligament Trifecta in October of the following season, and he never was the same.

Culpepper played for the Vikings, Dolphins, Raiders, and Lions.  He also played for the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Daunte Culpepper says he thinks he’s done playing”
  1. randyinman says: Jul 1, 2012 1:15 AM

The Panthers can use him at DT if he loses some weight.

2. chazzmon says: Jul 1, 2012 1:59 AM

This guy went from great to nothing faster and younger than just about anybody ever.

3. yousuxxors says: Jul 1, 2012 2:40 AM

he was so fun to watch. wish he never got hurt.

4. rajbais says: Jul 1, 2012 2:50 PM

He was done before the 2008 season.

If your best offer was a backup job to Aaron Rodgers (this is true) prior to that time and your last three seasons featured you throwing 13 TD and 20 INT you don’t have anything to offer.

A practice squad or undrafted free agent quarterback is a better pickup because it’s understandable for one to take lumps and stumble while growing up from a raw state. Since 2005, Culpepper’s mistakes were inexcusable and it was not all injury-related. The 2006 season was the only one where one could make the argument, but his performance was still poor. He didn’t even beat the Steelers without Big Ben in Week 1 of that season.

The Packers did something close to my suggestion prior to the 2008 season, select Matt Flynn in Round 7 during that year’s draft. That was a better move because he did not turn the ball over more than he did throw touchdowns. The Lions signed Culpepper and he showed up reportedly at 285-290 lbs and they finished 0-16.

He “thinks” he’s done? Please!

5. The Doctor says: Jul 1, 2012 10:49 PM

Daunte was a great Viking. Too bad he never was able to live up to his full potential due to injury. Culpepper to Moss was fun to watch.

6. spartan822 says: Jul 2, 2012 1:00 PM

This was news 5-6 years ago. Sad, because he was great to watch. I’m still mad at that guy who took him out, from behind if I remember right.