Forte says he’ll play for the Bears in 2012

130023924_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Bears running back Matt Forte has 7.7 million reasons to play this season.

And play he will.  The fifth-year tailback confirmed it on Friday.

I don’t think I really have a choice, do I?” Forte said at a charity event on Friday, via John Greenberg of ESPNChicago.com.  “Yeah, I’ll be here.”

Forte technically can choose to stay away until the week before the regular-season opener and still get the full amount of his one-year franchise tender.  But it sounds like he’ll show up earlier.

“I’m excited to get in there and talk to Mr. [Jeremy] Bates and get in there with Jay [Cutler] and see what he thinks about the passing game, and see how I can get involved in that, too,” Forte said.

Forte also is excited about the promotion of Mike Tice to offensive coordinator.  “Coach Tice is a great coach and I’ve known that since he coached Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor down in Jacksonville with their running games,” Forte said.  “When he got here, I knew it would be the same thing.  To have him as coordinator now, it’s going to be something to watch.  I’m excited about it.”

Per Greenberg, the usually dispassionate Forte eventually got annoyed with inquiries regarding his contract status.  “Any other questions?” he eventually said.

The biggest remaining question is whether he’ll have the kind of impact in 2012 that will prompt the Bears to finally give him the long-term deal he has been seeking, or whether he’ll have 9.2 million reasons to play under the franchise tag in 2013.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Forte says he’ll play for the Bears in 2012”
  1. tatum064 says: Jun 30, 2012 9:42 AM

What you’d expect him to say;

“I’m going to hold out for 2012?”

2. chavo8081 says: Jun 30, 2012 1:27 PM

Thank u bears for signing michael bush and making the running back situation a fantasy nightmare, and also for signing marshall but promoting a run first coord!

3. larryboodry says: Jun 30, 2012 2:12 PM

“I don’t think I really have a choice, do I?”

Dude, someone is willing to pay you $7.7 mil for your skills, something the rest of us only dreamed about playing football in the playground as kids. Quit sulking.

In any case, I’m glad that he will not hold out.

4. chi01town says: Jun 30, 2012 2:51 PM

Thats right Forte sign your contract an go to work, we have to put Green bay in there place. an send the lions back to detroit

5. nesby2 says: Jun 30, 2012 5:07 PM

Expect a deal done before the deadline. All Emery asked this DIVA to do was sign his tender so they can work out an extension. I’m a lifelong bears fan & this fool could never get the short yards when we needed them & he could never score from the goaline. I think he’s over valuing himself honestly this guy thinks he’s a top tier elite back but never rushed over 1,100 yds in a season in his career & hasn’t topped 6 TD’s in a season ever.. That’s not elite Forte that’s “Mid-Level” talent production bruh!! Stop sipping the Johnny Walker your agent is supplying you with please!

6. beerbratscheese says: Jun 30, 2012 7:27 PM

The Packers place is first place. If Chicago wants to help them get there, I’m all for it.

7. larryboodry says: Jun 30, 2012 8:22 PM

@ beerbratscheese:

Packers finished first in the NFC North last year, Giants finished with Super Bowl rings…How’s that workin’ out for ya?

8. beerbratscheese says: Jun 30, 2012 9:38 PM

Larry, obviously, I would have loved for the Packers to win it all last year. But I’ve been a Packers/football fan for over 40 years. I know only one team can win the ultimate prize, and that takes both talent and luck. Two years ago the Packers had the talent, but, due to injuries, luck certainly played a role in the Packers getting a ring.

Last year, the Packers, arguably, had more talent than 2010. But, for whatever reason they couldn’t take full advantage of that talent, yet finished 15-1 in the regular season. Luck was not on their side in the playoffsnand got bounced. The Giants, while highly talented, are not as talented as the Packers. Yet got hot at the right time and won it all. I’m disappointed, but not bitter. They did what the Packers did in 2010.

Al that said, the Bears didn’t even sniff the playoffs last year…How’s that workin’ out for ya?

9. larryboodry says: Jun 30, 2012 10:54 PM

Nice reply, beerbratscheese…I’m not bitter, either, and injuries played a part in both our teams ultimately falling short…We lost Cutler and Forte, and sadly Marion Barber’s brain freeze and fumble cost us the Denver game, but in the end what cost us more was a lack of depth at key positions. I commend the Pack for that 15-1 mark, and for their win the year before. Obviously, and this is the point I should have made, winning the division means squat if you lose in the playoffs. We both saw that firsthand the last two years.

The funny thing was, if I’m not mistaken, had the Bears beaten Denver to finish 9-7, the Giants don’t even make the playoffs and the whole playoff scenario changes, although we probably get beat in the first round without Cutler and Forte.

That said, you and I have both been fans of our respective teams for four decades, and I’d like nothing more than to see us face off in the next NFC Championship Game. (Better us than Detroit or Minnesota, agreed?)

Anyway, I do respect the rivalry and the passion and knowledge of GB fans…Sorry for being snide in my earlier post.