Adam Jones tells rookies he once spent $1 million in one weekend

GYI0061319883_crop_450x500 Getty Images

The man who now owes $11.65 million for his conduct in Las Vegas during NBA All-Star weekend five years ago told incoming rookies last week that he nearly spent 10 percent of that amount on another 48-hour period from Friday night through Sunday night.

Colts tight end Coby Fleener, sitting in this week for Peter King at the wheel of Monday Morning Quarterback, writes that Bengals cornerback Adam Jones explained at the Rookie Symposium that he once dropped $1 million in one weekend during his now-defunct “Pacman” days.

Said receiver Terrell Owens, who was on the stage with Jones at the time, in response:  “Man, you crazy!”

Jones said that Commissioner Roger Goodell helped change “Pacman,” via the one-year suspension that was imposed within a couple of months after the camel-back-breaking incident that happened in Vegas, and that definitely didn’t stay in Vegas.

A third man who once played for the Cowboys — and who unlike Owens and Jones won three Super Bowls — gave the rookies another reason to stay out of trouble.  Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin said that, after his son did a Google search on Irvin, Irvin realized he’d give back the rings in exchange for a clean name.

Other players may be getting the message.  Per Fleener, players arrests have been on the decline, from 79 in 2006 to 62 in 2011.

If that means guys have come to better appreciate the privilege of playing in the NFL, that’s great.  Whether they appreciate it or not, it’s fleeting, for most.

As Ravens receiver Torrey Smith told the rookie, “Congratulations on making it into the NFL.  You’re now on your way out of the NFL.”

For some, that day won’t come for more than a decade.  For others, it’ll happen sooner than they realize.  And that’s all the more reason for all of them to keep the bigger picture of their lives in view, and to always be thinking about how the decisions they make now will affect them for years to come.

Hopefully, none will decide to spend $1 million in a weekend.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Adam Jones tells rookies he once spent $1 million in one weekend”
  1. joetoronto says: Jul 2, 2012 6:48 AM

They were morons with money.

Now, they’re just morons.

2. skins716 says: Jul 2, 2012 6:53 AM

he definitely made it rain!

3. cooklynn17 says: Jul 2, 2012 6:55 AM

Yeah, so what?

The preceding comments after that little speech should gave been, guess what class I was also a stupid clueless idiot. This guy is truly worthless and will receive no sympathy here.

One other note, after that court ruling you can also tell the class you spent 12-million for being a dumb ass.

Looks like Blinky got his revenge there Pac-man.

4. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Jul 2, 2012 7:00 AM

And this helps them how?

5. spellingcopfather says: Jul 2, 2012 7:00 AM

Damn you to pacman, i spent the same amount last weekend!!!

6. brenenostler says: Jul 2, 2012 7:01 AM

62 player arrests is still a lot….

7. steelerchicken says: Jul 2, 2012 7:05 AM

A lifestyle we can never understand!

8. nflofficeadmin says: Jul 2, 2012 7:17 AM

Usually that sort of surgery takes more than a weekend, but you have to admit, that is an impressive cameltoe.

9. cleverbob says: Jul 2, 2012 7:27 AM

It’s not as bad as it sounds. He invested in a piece of fine art for $999,995 at auction and later had a celebratory cup of coffee at Starbucks.

10. KIR says: Jul 2, 2012 7:31 AM

Of those 62 arrest how many are for drunk driving and public intoxication?

11. nvandy42 says: Jul 2, 2012 7:44 AM

Mad respect to PAC for turning things around and trying to prevent others from making the same mistakes. You can’t ask anything else from the man.

12. 1historian says: Jul 2, 2012 7:49 AM

“He’d give back the rings in exchange for a clean name”

Can’t get any plainer than that, especially when your son finds all that out about you by googling you

Is there any price for his losing the respect of his own son – if he ever had it?

13. thegonz13 says: Jul 2, 2012 7:54 AM

Stupid is as stupid does…

14. burgundyandgold says: Jul 2, 2012 8:07 AM

Good for Jones using the mistakes he made in his life to try and help other people. Why be made at him. He screwed up his financial life through stupid decisions but he seems to have reformed which is not easy to do and is working to help others. Hey, in America you cannot ask for more than that. I don’t understand why we live in a society that does not value the redemption aspects of people’s live anymore. Good for Jones.

15. lawful1 says: Jul 2, 2012 8:48 AM

cooklynn17 says:
    Jul 2, 2012 6:55 AM
    Yeah, so what?

Looks like Blinky got his revenge there Pac-man.
    ————————————————————————————–
    worthless, if anyboby is worhtless it is you. what have you’ve done to better society other than sit behind your computer with your arrogant and loft self and judge the world. you are no better than Pacman, just more broke. And before you question me I work in the schools giving back to kids, and with my church feeding the homeless and helping them find housing so that theyn can live like the human beings they are, you my have done NOTHING!

16. specialteamsposter says: Jul 2, 2012 9:08 AM

Holy Crap! Do you know how many boxes I have to move at FedEx, a job I am thankful for despite having two college degrees, just to make that kind of money. What a world class a-hole! I think it should be mandatory in every level of elementary school that kids be forced to study how poor some people in the world are so they can appreciate what it is they got.

17. joshm5683 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:11 AM

62 does sound like a lot, but if you look at how many players are on an NFL roster its a pretty small percentage, unfortunately for the NFL, the news you always hear is the bad stuff. I used to think Jones was an idiot, and he may still be, but it is nice to see him trying to help others avoid his situation. Maybe he has changed?

18. Revolution22 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:17 AM

As Ravens receiver Torrey Smith told the rookie, “Congratulations on making it into the NFL. You’re now on your way out of the NFL.”

What an optimistic way of looking at it…

19. mjkelly77 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:29 AM

Must have been a very “rainy” weekend.

20. billh1947 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:31 AM

Player arrests were down to 62 in 2011,congrats players,so far in 2012 the Lions have four or five arrests and the season has not yet begun with undoubtedly more on the way.just wonderful to be a Lions fan knowing the zookeepers cant stop it.

21. mr4thand1 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:32 AM

“Makin’ It Rain” sure does cost a lot.

22. mjkelly77 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:49 AM

“Jones said that Commissioner Roger Goodell helped change “Pacman,” via the one-year suspension that was …”
    ____________________

Just another reason for everyone to appreciate the current Commissioner of the NFL. He’s protecting the future of the game in so many ways.

23. mjkelly77 says: Jul 2, 2012 10:20 AM

Revolution22 says:Jul 2, 2012 9:17 AM

What an optimistic way of looking at it…
    __________________

I think it’s a very realistic and pragmatic way of looking at it. As an athlete, your earning years are here and gone before you know it. It’s always best to practice financial constraint with an eye towards the future.

24. smackingfools says: Jul 2, 2012 10:33 AM

No one ever mentions his philanthropy work . Pacman sent plenty of young ladies to college. He should be applauded!

25. cooklynn17 says: Jul 2, 2012 10:41 AM

lawful1 says: Jul 2, 2012 8:48 AM

cooklynn17 says: Jul 2, 2012 6:55 AM Yeah, so what?

Looks like Blinky got his revenge there Pac-man. ————————————————————————————–worthless, if anyboby is worhtless it is you. what have you’ve done to better society other than sit behind your computer with your arrogant and loft self and judge the world. you are no better than Pacman, just more broke. And before you question me I work in the schools giving back to kids, and with my church feeding the homeless and helping them find housing so that theyn can live like the human beings they are, you my have done NOTHING
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OH! I see its on now. First of all, let me clear it up, I don’t sit behind a computer, I am actually writing in from my phone. Second, talk about judging people, you don’t know me so you have no clue what I do, have done, my salary or whatever. What I do know if you actually said what you said above to my face, your church going g ass would most definitely need Gods assistance.

Pac-man Jones has been a colossal screw-up from day one. This guy is responsible for a person being paralyzed, so why don’t you ride out in a wheelchair for a week and let me know what that is like, then imagine doing it the rest of your life.

Dude, its funny how you talk yourself up to be the best thing since sliced bread, but the important detail you left out is nobody on this board gives a dam.

I actually grew up a military brat, went too 3 different high schools in 4 years, been in more countries than you could imagine, graduated from the police academy in 1997, have a full time job I have been at for six years, am happily married and have a 21 day old daughter. I have done plenty for society, the difference is I don’t need the recognition or credit for it, like you obviously do.

We all come full circle eventually, hopefully your day comes sooner rather than later. Because right now you’re Just a straight up joke.

26. daysend564 says: Jul 2, 2012 10:59 AM

Take out the Lions and Bengals, we might be down into the single digit arrests.

27. grantlee11 says: Jul 2, 2012 11:23 AM

Big deal! Richard Pryor did the same thing back in the 80′s while while spending his dead white uncles money lugging John Candy around.

28. commonsensedude says: Jul 2, 2012 11:56 AM

The irony of the NFL is that the players earn the most money they’ll ever earn in their lifetime during the time in their life where they’re least mentally equipped to handle it.

No matter how much money you earn, even if it’s a ridiculous amount, you’ll eventually be broke if you spend more than you make. Such a simple idea but one which continues to elude rich atheletes as well as our own government.

29. kokoskmr says: Jul 2, 2012 12:01 PM

Torrey Smith is the kind of “High Character” player that the Ravens and Ravens fans love. The organization and some players have experienced some difficult times in the past regarding off field conduct. They have turned that experience into a positive culture of good mentoring of young players on the realities of live in the NFL and high expectations for both on field and off field performance.

30. HitsDingers says: Jul 2, 2012 12:02 PM

1. For geniuses like brenenostler and KIR, 62 arrests out of like 1700 active NFL players is a lower percentage than the US population at large.

2. What’s the deal with hating on Pacman for telling rooks not to make the same mistakes he did? It’s a lot more likely he is doing it as part of his Goodell-given parole than looking for sympathy.

31. 28purple4mvp says: Jul 2, 2012 12:40 PM

Says the guy who claims hes a cop

32. donny1rodriguez says: Jul 2, 2012 12:42 PM

“Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin said that, after his son did a Google search on Irvin, Irvin realized he’d give back the rings in exchange for a clean name.”

Come on mr. florio do you read the article before posting it? Besides this sentence there is no mention of any rings. No idea what this is referring to. ..

33. radrntn says: Jul 2, 2012 12:47 PM

i did not know you could put that much stuff up your nose in only 48 hours

34. cooklynn17 says: Jul 2, 2012 1:48 PM

28purple4mvp says: Jul 2, 2012 12:40 PM

Says the guy who claims hes a cop

Then why all the b.s. in this paragraph if you dont need the recognition or credit. child please.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    See, that’s just it. Nobody pays attention. I never said I was a cop idiot. Please read and try your best to comprehend before looking foolish making posts.

English 101 ????????

35. rajbais says: Jul 2, 2012 2:05 PM

Apparently, Jones was the star of the movie “Blank Check”.

Check it out and you’ll know what I’m talking about.