Falcons support transportation tax, voters currently don’t

x610-1 AP

The powers-that-be in Atlanta are hoping that support from the local sports teams will help persuade the public to plunk down an extra penny for every dollar used to buy stuff.

According to Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Falcons joined the Braves, the Hawks, and Atlanta Motor Speedway to support a new sales tax.  A recent poll showed that 47 percent of likely voters oppose the one-percent tax, that 26 percent support it, and that 27 percent of likely voters are undecided.

The teams brought executives and mascots to the Metro Atlanta Chamber building on Monday to show support for the tax, which would raise $7.2 billion for transportation projects.

“This is about the region and how the region succeeds, grows and prospers,” Falcons president Rich McKay said.  “When you look at what Atlanta has done, we’ve been such a progressive city over time, always kind of marching forward.  Here’s an opportunity for us to continue that.  Our concern is that with a ‘Vote No’ we’ll kind of take a step backwards.”

McKay estimates that 80 percent of the fans who attend Falcons game will benefit from the projects that the tax would fund.

The question of whether Atlantans will step forward or backward will be resolved on July 31.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Falcons support transportation tax, voters currently don’t”
  1. kane337 says: Jul 2, 2012 7:32 PM

I certainly don’t want more taxes but seeing as how much wasted time I spend in Atlanta traffic the tax cost might be more profitable than the wasted gas money. I don’t know. I would have to see the project plan before I could agree to voting for such a big money project.

2. abninf says: Jul 2, 2012 8:59 PM

“When you look at what Atlanta has done, we’ve been such a progressive city over time, always kind of marching forward”
    —————————————————

Tax and spend “progressives” aka liberals who don’t want to call themselves liberal. I think the people are getting tired of that kind of progress. They want to nickel and dime us into oblivion.

3. skoalbrother says: Jul 3, 2012 7:48 AM

Teams need to stop using public money to fund their companies. When will cities wake up. Never voluntarily tax yourselves. States should ask the teams if they would like to sell a portion of the team for access to public funds

4. electionconfidential says: Jul 3, 2012 7:54 AM

I think I’d be willing to pay more taxes if an NFL mascot told me to.

5. rcali says: Jul 3, 2012 3:42 PM

How thoughtful of those teams pushing for more taxes. I doubt any of them are making it cheaper to go see their product.

6. seenoland54 says: Jul 10, 2012 5:35 PM

Not surprised in the least. After seeing my season tickets double since Blank took over I dumped them. Of course that isn’t goping to stop Blank from fleecing the home folks, no sireeee, they want to get in your pocket even when you don’t take the fleecing lying down.

Oh, by the way, “The question of whether Atlantans will step forward or backward will be resolved on July 31″ will be answered loudly and letting billionaires fleece everyone in a city every time they buy a loaf of bread or gallon of milk IS moving “backward”. Count on Atlanta moving forward…and not looking back.