Formerly fat, Steelers’ Jonathan Dwyer shapes up

Pittsburgh Steelers v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer isn’t fat anymore, and that could be big news for the backfield in Pittsburgh.

Weight problems have plagued Dwyer since before he was in the NFL: He showed up out of shape at the 2010 Scouting Combine and slipped to the sixth round of the draft, and he showed up overweight at training camp last year and failed the team’s conditioning test. That’s part of the reason Dwyer has been limited to just eight games and 25 carries in two NFL seasons.

But Dwyer says he has lost 20 pounds from his high of 240 and is in better shape, and that with starting running back Rashard Mendenhall likely to miss the start of the season with a torn ACL, Dwyer is ready to play a significant part in the Steelers’ offense.

“I am just realizing how much it takes to get where you are in this league and how hard you have to work and push yourself,” Dwyer told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “This is my year to prove something to myself, the league, to the organization, that I am worth more than what I was.”

Dwyer, who is No. 2 on the depth chart behind Isaac Redman while Mendenhall is down, says he’ll be ready for as many carries as the Steelers give him this year.

“I know if I come in at the weight I am supposed to be, I will be OK,” Dwyer said. “It is not anybody else’s responsibility to come into camp in shape. It is mine.”

With Mendenhall down, the Steelers need Dwyer to be in shape and ready for a lot of carries from Day One.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Formerly fat, Steelers’ Jonathan Dwyer shapes up”
  1. bluejays20091 says: Jul 2, 2012 8:57 AM

20 pounds is nothing he is still fat

2. mgavin78 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:04 AM

Nice of him to be responsible…

3. bettis3636 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:04 AM

Jon is a BEAST… this article is just gonna open the doors for people to talk bad about him… But this year is gonna be a big year for him!!

4. ezmoover says: Jul 2, 2012 9:09 AM

Formerly an irresponsible sloth, it only took a Steeler three years to realize that being fat and stupid is not the best idea. After all, he’s a Pittsburgh football player, not a Pittsburgh fan.

Give the lard azz deadbeat a turrible towel and put him in the stands. He’ll fit right in.

Just because you look like Bettis doesn’t mean you’re gonna play like Bettis.

5. paychrisjohnson28 says: Jul 2, 2012 9:16 AM

To me these football players at the minimum are making over $560,000 a year ….and can’t show up to work in shape ?! The average American football fan makes $30 to $40,000 a year…do you think if you told the average American they could get paid $500,000 to be in great shape for their job they would do it for that kind of money ?!! Of course they would…it is amazing how these athletes don’t value what they have until it’s gone… Making that kind of money would motivate most people…

6. dgforreal says: Jul 2, 2012 9:54 AM

I love it if my job forced me to be in shape.

7. ravenator says: Jul 2, 2012 10:00 AM

Steelers are pathetic. Swept by the Ravens and Tebowd out of the playoffs. AFCN belongs to the Ravens. The rest of you can fall in line.

8. cbass59 says: Jul 2, 2012 10:56 AM

Ravenator, 2 questions. What is the all time record steelers v ravens. And who has more SB rings, Big Ben or Ray Lewis, T
    fizzle, and Ed reed combined?

9. willcool21 says: Jul 2, 2012 10:57 AM

I Love this kid going to be the surprise of the year

10. steelhammer92 says: Jul 2, 2012 11:05 AM

Well, if “fatty” was capable of breaking off a 76 yard run last year, I can’t wait to see what a lean version is capable of. Good luck Jonathan!

11. steelanator says: Jul 2, 2012 11:05 AM

@ravenator
    How about getting a QB that doesn’t choke under pressure and at least ONE receiver that can catch? No rings in over a decade. Think about it.

12. wallacejay says: Jul 2, 2012 11:48 AM

@ravenator

Wow, the entire AFCN huh? Pretty lofty goals. How’d winning the division and the sweep (AKA – your super bowls) work out for you last year?

13. enoughofthatalready says: Jul 2, 2012 11:50 AM

Steelers are 21-14, I believe, against the Ravens even with the sweep and with the Steelers 2-0 in the last 2 playoff games when it really mattered. I am willing to bet that the Ravenator was a Redskins fan before the Browns moved to Baltimore and actually played better than the Redskins did eventually. Nice jump-ship there, hon. If it wasn’t for the Steelers, the Ravens would not be (well actually, if it wasn’t for the Browns, the Ravens would not be). They were built to mirror the Steelers.

14. 3yardsndust says: Jul 2, 2012 11:53 AM

As a Steelers fan, I have to say this guy doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near the field. You get drafted to play in the greatest sports league of all time and show up to training camp like it owes you something? You have to earn your way onto the field. Isaac Redman is a player, and he doesn’t need any help from selfish player-wannabes.

15. enoughofthatalready says: Jul 2, 2012 11:57 AM

Steelers were 12-2 in non-Ravens games last year and the Ravens were 10-4 in non-Steelers games last year. Tebowd? I would have loved to see the Ravens play in Denver without Ngata, Lewis, Suggs, Reed, Oher, Rice and with Flacco limping. Plus take out another DL while you are at it. How better would the Ravens have done? Plus throw in a deep pass over the middle that Boldin drops and have Flacco fumble a ball that moves the team out of field goal range. Sure the Steelers lost, but look at how the game unfolded.

16. enoughofthatalready says: Jul 2, 2012 12:01 PM

Ravens were Gabberted, Hasselbacked, Riversed, Whitehursted and finally Cundiffed last year. LOL.

17. donny1rodriguez says: Jul 2, 2012 12:46 PM

With the Ravens+Bengals looking good&young, its sadly doubtful steelers will make playoffs for at least the next season. we should be rebuilding, not signing the dead weight. oh well

18. granadafan says: Jul 2, 2012 12:48 PM

Of course, Dwyer’s sudden weight loss and sudden revelation about working hard has NOTHING to due to the fact that this is a contract year for him.

Buyer beware of fat and lazy players who suddenly work hard during the last year of their contract.

19. keiselsbeard says: Jul 2, 2012 12:59 PM

@ravenator Talk smack about sweeping us after the Ratbirds beat the Steelers 3 times in a season, just like we beat them 3 times in a single season (on our way to an NFL record 6th Super Bowl victory) a couple years ago. Until u can claim 3 wins in a season over us, shut your hole. Oh yeah, it might help if your team can manage to get to, & win, 5 more Lombardi’s also.

20. kowboydmac says: Jul 2, 2012 1:53 PM

Dwyer was a beast at GA Tech. Granted the offense complimented his style (quadruple option type ordeal lol) he still wrecked teams. Could be an Onterrio Smith type SOTD, but at least I know why he hasn’t been as productive now.

21. ravenater says: Jul 2, 2012 1:59 PM

Ok guys, TRUCE!!! I am still living in the glory our our 2 super bowl wins last year over your Steelers. What else can I do? This year will suck for us Ravens fans. Suggs is out, Reed and Rice are embroiled in contract controversy, Lewis is older/slower/more injury prone, Flacco is the self-proclaimed worlds greatest QB but is horrible, and our coach is a whiner. I see a 7-9 season for my Ravens at BEST. Have some sympathy and humor me as I distract myself from our upcoming problems!! You know me, I troll to post on every story about the Steelers!

22. upyoursnfu says: Jul 2, 2012 2:11 PM

Didn’t the ravens blow a 16 point lead last time the ravens and Steelers met in the playoffs?

23. jtm12180 says: Jul 2, 2012 3:08 PM

ravenater says:Jul 2, 2012 1:59 PM

—————————-

ravenater isn’t such a bad guy afterall. being honest wins alot of respect IMO!!!

24. flyeredup says: Jul 2, 2012 10:22 PM

Tomlin is fat

25. george3246 says: Jul 3, 2012 11:27 PM

Dwyer has shown flashes of great potential but now he needs to prep himself to produce next year when it truly counts.

Your opinion means nothing, jtm. You could be raxenator in disguise trying to excuse himself from being an unmitigated troll and pest on B&G threads.

If ravenator wants sympathy by trying to blow smoke up our yinzer butts with phony insults of his beloved team, he will receive nothing but our disgust for abandoning his team while they may be going down.

True fans of any team in any sport would not throw it under the bus for any reason. If they had true insight, they would practice good sportsmanship just as the players of the Steelers and Ravens do after their games.

Most NFL players respect and honor the efforts of their greatest rivals whose games make or break their seasons.

We fans can mirror that respect by toning down ridiculous and harmful rhetoric.